Other stores check (grocery, Target, etc)

irvinehomeowner said:
Kenkoko said:
@IHO

Go ahead and disregard everything about Taiwan in my post, my point still stands.  ;)

I'd argue that I am giving you the answer, at least in part, why you cant find things like mask in a grocery store or Target. So partial credit on not going completely off topic?

I'd make a separate thread about healthcare if I genuinely thought I'd change minds. But based on my years of reading TI, I seriously doubt it. I think I said something similar on TI in the past and caught some flack for it. It would not be very (human) capital efficient for me to do so  :p

Well... you already basically posted the premise here... so why not a new thread so that this one can stay on topic.

You don't seem like someone who cares about catching flack and by your numerous posts about how Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways, what's the harm in creating your own thread?

I still think that you don't quite grasp the difference in scale/culture/demographics/logistics/topography/government here that makes it more difficult than you posit, but maybe that type of discussion will illuminate all sides.

Why can't we be more like [fill in foreign country here]? The Left has been asking this question since as far back as I can remember for just about every issue the Left cares about and I'm pretty sure they were asking it long before my time. The answer is, as IHO says, every country is different.

@IHO

It's human nature to not want to catch flack. I am no different. That's why there's so many echo chambers these days.

Also, weren't you the one to give me flack about disappearing for months?

I am a proud American and I love this country. I went to campaign and canvass for months for a cause I believe in for crying out loud. This does not mean I have blind faith. If this pandemic does not wake more people up and see we have serious shit going wrong in this country we love, what is it going to take?

This general attitude that America is great and shouldn't be criticized is truly baffling to me.

I use Taiwan as an example because I have intimate knowledge not because " Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways"

Americans would benefit tremendously if we can put down our pride and learn from other countries' success.

Kenkoko said:
@IHO

It's human nature to not want to catch flack. I am no different. That's why there's so many echo chambers these days.

Also, weren't you the one to give me flack about disappearing for months?

I am a proud American and I love this country. I went to campaign and canvass for months for a cause I believe in for crying out loud. This does not mean I have blind faith. If this pandemic does not wake more people up and see we have serious shit going wrong in this country we love, what is it going to take?

This general attitude that America is great and shouldn't be criticized is truly baffling to me.

I use Taiwan as an example because I have intimate knowledge not because " Taiwan is so much better than the US in so many ways"

Americans would benefit tremendously if we can put down our pride and learn from other countries' success.

Thank you for your excellent posts.

I think the first step to stop the decline in this great country is for Americans to recognize our own exceptionalism. No we aren't great at everything and in fact we really suck at alot of things.

Just because we look at an example of another country doing something better than doesn't mean we can't learn from them. South Korea and Taiwan ARE great examples.

We don't do everything correctly in the US. And we have far too much hubris to ever admit when we're wrong.

We messed up our response, it's an absolute failure. We had time to act, and to plan. This wasn't anything new or unprecedented.

Lots of people are dying over stupid egos.

Thanks Icey! Glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

To not completely derail this thread - co-worker found the promised land, Trader Joe's in Laguna Hills has toilet paper @9:30 AM.

They were limiting the number of people going into the Tustin Trader Joe's on Sunday afternoon.  There was only a line of about 10 people and it look about 5-10 minutes to get in.  They'd spray the carts with disinfectants and provided hand sanitizer on the way out.  The store was pretty much fully stocked compared to the previous weeks and the manager mentioned that the shorter hours has helped to keep the shelves stocked.

Toilet paper alert: 4/1 (no April Fools) as of 10am, Pavillions at Orchard Hills has about 30 packs of TP. Get them if you need them.

I consider "online" as "other" (and I don't want to have to start yet another thread):

Is anyone having issues with Amazon Fresh? I can never seem to be able to schedule a delivery date.

I am able to use Prime Now okay (which is weird because I can buy Amazon Fresh items from Prime Now).

Is anyone else able to order stuff online easily?

Got Porto?s take out today. These guys may be second to Costco. You order and pay online. You drive up, give them your order number, they tell you to go park at a numbered parking space, they come out and put the dood in the trunk or hand it to you. I had them put it directly in the trunk. As touch less as it can be. You don?t have to sign anything and the workers are all gloved/masked up. You select a pickup time on the website.  I was in and out in about 5 minutes.

Came home, transferred the food food, microwaved it and down go the potato balls!!

qwerty said:
Got Porto?s take out today. These guys may be second to Costco. You order and pay online. You drive up, give them your order number, they tell you to go park at a numbered parking space, they come out and put the dood in the trunk or hand it to you. I had them put it directly in the trunk. As touch less as it can be. You don?t have to sign anything and the workers are all gloved/masked up. You select a pickup time on the website.  I was in and out in about 5 minutes.

Came home, transferred the food food, microwaved it and down go the potato balls!!

Target drive up needs to do this. They want to come within 2 feet of you and hand you the stuff.  No. Just plop the bag in my trunk. And nope I?m not signing your keypad.

I?m looking for flour. Where has the best odds?

qwerty said:

Has anyone tried the Porto's Bake-at-Home options?  Are they any good?  I'm craving some of their guava pastries right about now.

paydawg said:
qwerty said:

Has anyone tried the Porto's Bake-at-Home options?  Are they any good?  I'm craving some of their guava pastries right about now.

We almost tried, but the delivery dates are like 2 weeks away. So we went to get them in person instead last weekend. Definitely less waiting time than pre social distancing era since you can go in your selected time slot.

I was wondering since Amazon Prime is not being able to deliver stuff the same day or next day anymore, would it be something they should charge less for this period time?

Also, for those of us who live in HOA communities, should they charge less as well since all the parks are closed? I understand they still do maintenance and stuff, but the homeowners are getting less access now.

I most likely still would pay the same for all these, but was wondering if anyone thought the same.

Mety said:
I was wondering since Amazon Prime is not being able to deliver stuff the same day or next day anymore, would it be something they should charge less for this period time?

Also, for those of us who live in HOA communities, should they charge less as well since all the parks are closed? I understand they still do maintenance and stuff, but the homeowners are getting less access now.

I most likely still would pay the same for all these, but was wondering if anyone thought the same.

That's a good point, they closed the pool/spa and other amenities in my area as well.

bones said:
qwerty said:

Target drive up needs to do this. They want to come within 2 feet of you and hand you the stuff.  No. Just plop the bag in my trunk. And nope I?m not signing your keypad.

I?m looking for flour. Where has the best odds?

I?ve gone to Smart & Final on Culver and they seem to always have flour.

So it seems that morning grocery store inventory is pretty good.

Went to Albertson's in Cypress Village center the other day and they had multiple brands of both paper towels and toilet paper. Also tons of water.

I forgot to check for rice and flour... sorry.

Ralph?s on jamboree is normally fully stocked with everything in the morning (except bleach and disinfectant wipes). All other food and paper products are good to. I believe they open at 730. At 7 they open for seniors, etc.

Oh also, like Costco, they are doing cart wipe downs, plexiglass shields between cashier and customer... and many employees are wearing masks and gloves.

At Ralphs last week I remember them doing a station wipe down and cashier hand wash every 30 minutes... added quite a bit of time to checking out but just like TSA, these are the things you need to put up with for safety.

Haven?t been to Target for a while, but it looks like they started doing the line to get in to limit number of people in the store.

And like grocery stores and Costco, they have huge plexiglass dividers at the checkouts.

Walmart is a bit behind, the ones they have are so small. I wonder what companies are supplying all these plexiglass shields.

irvinehomeowner said:
Haven?t been to Target for a while, but it looks like they started doing the line to get in to limit number of people in the store.

And like grocery stores and Costco, they have huge plexiglass dividers at the checkouts.

Walmart is a bit behind, the ones they have are so small. I wonder what companies are supplying all these plexiglass shields.

That is your opinion. Why do you not take about Walmart prices? When I compare Walmart to Target. It seems to me Walmart is better priced. Such as tooth paste.

Back