Orchard Hills - Pesticides

Jbean - u say pesticides are the lesser of all evils. What if that is a causing your kids issue? Would you move?

lnc said:
hello said:
I think the irvine company owns these orchards.  I spoke to a representative from irvine pacific and he said the orchards are actually owned by TIC. 

Not only TIC own these avocado orchards, they are making a killing on it.  TIC produce 10 millions ponds of avocado a year and the revenue rumors to be $14 millions a year.

Fruits of Irvine Co.'s labor
That's amazing TIC is the largest avocado producer in the state at 1.100 acres and the 2nd largest avocado producer in the state only has 100 acres.  It's even more amazing the Tustin Costco just a couple of miles from these avocado orchards sells avocados from Mexico.

qwerty said:
Jbean - u say pesticides are the lesser of all evils. What if that is a causing your kids issue? Would you move?

Difficult to answer this right now, but I would have to have strong evidence of this, and/or rule out any other possibilities of the irritation before making any hasty decisions.

Above all, my child's health comes before anything in this entire world.

If you're worried about allergies, aren't you worried about pollen that will surely be prevalent when we get rain and then everything dries out? Lots of people will have pollen producing plants in OH.

Ready2Downsize said:
If you're worried about allergies, aren't you worried about pollen that will surely be prevalent when we get rain and then everything dries out? Lots of people will have pollen producing plants in OH.

I'm not concerned about allergies, as they don't cause long-term health effects. My goal is to rule out pesticides as the culprit of the irritation/symptoms. Allergies are something everyone deals with, without the concern of long-term health issues.

And out of curiosity, @Qwerty and @bones, do you have kids? What would you do if an allergist or physician pointed the finger at pesticides causing their symptoms without a shadow of a doubt?

JBean72 said:
And out of curiosity, @Qwerty and @bones, do you have kids? What would you do if an allergist or physician pointed the finger at pesticides causing their symptoms without a shadow of a doubt?

Not sure why you're asking me specifically.  I never undermined your investigation into your child's symptoms.  I was more musing as to where you draw the line in general.  Which I guess is what you're asking here.  Do you draw the line at moving?  If the pesticides at OH directly made my kid sick, then yea, I would GTFO.

I don't think a doctor is going to say your problem is due to pesticides "without a shadow of a doubt"........ unless he's testifying in court as an expert witness.

I think it's a losing battle to get whoever owns the orchards to change their spraying chemicals unless it can be verified that it's causing health problems for locals which would take years. Ya all signed that you were aware the orchards would be sprayed with pesticides, right?

Are these pesticides any different than what TIC has used on all their previous agriculture lands? Haven't adjacent Irvine homes and schools been exposed to these chemicals in the last couple decades? Have there been documented ill health effects to these residents?

I grew up in FV and that used to be farmland. Lots of pesticides were sprayed I'm sure.

Before we bought our current home we lived in Canyon Creek, which was near the Orange groves to the north and a nursery to the east and no one ever complained about pesticides. What makes OH different? If it is, you signed the disclosures about pesticide use before you bought your homes.

bones said:
JBean72 said:

Not sure why you're asking me specifically.  I never undermined your investigation into your child's symptoms.  I was more musing as to where you draw the line in general.  Which I guess is what you're asking here.  Do you draw the line at moving?  If the pesticides at OH directly made my kid sick, then yea, I would GTFO.

@Bones: Sorry, I actually didn't mean anything regarding my message. I was just curious since you guys seemed to be more on the list of people that didn't seem as concerned. My apologies for coming off that way.

And regarding comments about knowing about pesticides before buying - we didn't think anything of it until we all started having symptoms including our guests. It wasn't something that we thought would be an issue at all.

And I'm personally leaning toward not being as worried in light of some recent info that was sent to me.

Again, when you live in a home, there are so many potential health risks that are involved.

I'm hopeful and leaning more toward our symptoms being the results of construction dust and pollen in the area. Just wanting to have peace of mind and at least rule out pesticides if it is at all possible to rule out.

In the meantime, we are getting our vents cleaned which we should have done months ago, and taking other measures to have clean air in our house! :)

Ready2Downsize said:
I grew up in FV and that used to be farmland. Lots of pesticides were sprayed I'm sure.

Before we bought our current home we lived in Canyon Creek, which was near the Orange groves to the north and a nursery to the east and no one ever complained about pesticides. What makes OH different? If it is, you signed the disclosures about pesticide use before you bought your homes.

I doubt OH would be any different than the Orange groves, in fact, citrus plants are much harder to take care of manage, and I believe require more pest control.

Nothing is different about OH - the reason this topic was brought up was solely because of our kid's symptoms, our family, and other members that have noticed a change in their health, as well as one other resident had broached me about their child's symptoms too. Again, could be absolutely nothing to do with pesticides whatsoever, and just the unique area of OH with pollen, construction dust, and other elements combined.

lnc said:
hello said:
I think the irvine company owns these orchards.  I spoke to a representative from irvine pacific and he said the orchards are actually owned by TIC. 

Not only TIC own these avocado orchards, they are making a killing on it.  TIC produce 10 millions ponds of avocado a year and the revenue rumors to be $14 millions a year.

Fruits of Irvine Co.'s labor

But they can potentially make more by going organic. Organic products generate billions in revenue.

Ready2Downsize said:

Are you sure no one has complained?
http://pesticidereform.org/downloads/Biodrift-Summary-Eng.pdf

Couldn't say for sure in FV since I moved out in 1980 but my mom is 87 and has lived in the same house there for 51 years and she has had no problems.

Canyon Creek we moved out 17 1/2 years ago but if anyone complained about it while we were there, we would have DEFINATELY known. Bunch of old (I mean old literally) original owners lived there who had nothing better to do but take walks every day yapping about everyone's biz. No way would they have been able to keep their mouths shut.

AND the people who faced the groves were majorly upset when Northwood Pointe was going to be built taking the groves away, so I would think they would have had the biggest problems and their only issue was LOSING the orange groves. The HOA fought tooth and nail to prevent the nursery from being developed, so again if anyone had any problems, they would have been happy to see it go.

@ jbean - i do have kids. If the pesticides were causing my kids issues I would sell the house and move. Probably to a coastal area where the air is probably cleaner. I don't think you will get a dr to tell u without any doubt it is the pesticides so I would try a couple of different things. I would probably live in a hotel by the coast (Newport or Costa Mesa) for a couple of weeks to a month and if the symptoms went away then it would seem something in the OH area is causing the problem and then I would lost the house ASAP while keeping my kids at the hotel till we found a place.

Will TIC be able to sell the volume of avocados they grow at organic prices? Again if they could, I bet TIC would but if they can't, will having a portion of their crops really help OH avoid pesticides, or even the organic side avoid wind blowing pesticides from the non organic side?

Maybe they can have a buffer zone with some being organic and some not. Then they could sell a tract of homes on one side, pesticide spray likely and the other organic. They were already successful in selling TUSD and IUSD so why not?

qwerty said:
@ jbean - i do have kids. If the pesticides were causing my kids issues I would sell the house and move. Probably to a coastal area where the air is probably cleaner. I don't think you will get a dr to tell u without any doubt it is the pesticides so I would try a couple of different things. I would probably live in a hotel by the coast (Newport or Costa Mesa) for a couple of weeks to a month and if the symptoms went away then it would seem something in the OH area is causing the problem and then I would lost the house ASAP while keeping my kids at the hotel till we found a place.

We actually did go to the East coast for a week, and we were all asymptomatic... ugh, hate to say it, but the writing is on the wall.

Of course we will do our due diligence to make sure it's not just allergies before making any decisions.

Back