Once again...nothing to be done but prayers and thoughts

Burn That Belly said:
Parkland shooting officer labelled a 'coward' receives $8,700 a month pension

Although he resigned following the shooting, Mr Peterson is receiving $8,702.35 a month from his pension, according to a report form the South Florida Sun Sentinel. That makes up $104,428.20 a year ? slightly more than the $101,879.04 he received in salary last year, according to that newspaper.

?The thing he was supposed to do ? protect these children ? he didn?t do,? Michael Udine, the Broward County Commissioner, told the Miami Herald. ?Now he?s going to be paid by taxpayers for the rest of his life? It seems disgraceful.?

President Donald Trump later called Mr Peterson a "coward" for his actions.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/parkland-shooting-officer-labelled-apos-214400523.html

Victims of Parkland Shooter: 0
Public Employee Unions: 1

BTB - I think people are still numb from the last one.

It could be that since a pistol, shotgun, pipebombs, and pressure cookers were used, there isn't as much outrage able to be mustered at the NRA as opposed to if the killer used a scary looking rifle.

I learned a new term out of this today. The murderer was referred to as a "Columbiner" - someone fixated on the Columbine shooting. Terrible. Anyone who is even remotely to be considered a "Columbiner" should be moved to a very small cell as quickly as possible with as much therapy applied as they can stand. These are damaged young adults, but remain capable of being reformed if intervention is done early enough.

If you listen to Dennis Praeger today he had a reasonable take on this. To paraphrase.... I don't know the answer to the problem of gun violence, but I know the right questions are not being asked to solve this issue. In the past 50 or so years the number of and access to guns has not materially changed. The important question then to ask is this: "What has changed?"

That's a very big question to tackle IMHO but one that should be addressed with greater vigor than the solutions proposed by the "ban everything" crowd.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:

It could be that since a pistol, shotgun, pipebombs, and pressure cookers were used, there isn't as much outrage able to be mustered at the NRA as opposed to if the killer used a scary looking rifle.

I learned a new term out of this today. The murderer was referred to as a "Columbiner" - someone fixated on the Columbine shooting. Terrible. Anyone who is even remotely to be considered a "Columbiner" should be moved to a very small cell as quickly as possible with as much therapy applied as they can stand. These are damaged young adults, but remain capable of being reformed if intervention is done early enough.

If you listen to Dennis Praeger today he had a reasonable take on this. To paraphrase.... I don't know the answer to the problem of gun violence, but I know the right questions are not being asked to solve this issue. In the past 50 or so years the number of and access to guns has not materially changed. The important question then to ask is this: "What has changed?"

That's a very big question to tackle IMHO but one that should be addressed with greater vigor than the solutions proposed by the "ban everything" crowd.

My .02c
Both the Columbine shooter and this shooter shot the bullies that tormented them for years. They took measures to avoid hurting those who did then no harm. I'm not suggesting that bullies deserve to be shot, but these incidents should serve to remind bullies, their parents, and school administrators that there can be serious consequences to bullying. 

The political haks were drawing the same lines before the police could even hold their first press conference or clear the building.

Happiness said:
Soylent Green Is People said:

My .02c
Both the Columbine shooter and this shooter shot the bullies that tormented them for years. They took measures to avoid hurting those who did then no harm. I'm not suggesting that bullies deserve to be shot, but these incidents should serve to remind bullies, their parents, and school administrators that there can be serious consequences to bullying.

the difference between bullying back then and bullying now is that the bullying is 24/7.  it used to be that bullying only occurred at school or outside the home.  now, with social media, it's at school and it's in the home.  there's no escape for these kids who grow up in constant turmoil with all the hate spewed by their peers, and then people wonder why they go out and commit atrocities like this. 

Burn That Belly said:
Really, no one is talking about what happened today?

10 dead, 10 wounded in shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas, explosives found on campus: Officials
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/active-sh...ool-texas-141104621--abc-news-topstories.html

Under Texas State Law, minors are prohibited from accessing firearms unless under direct adult supervision for hunting and sporting activities.  Since the shooter is under 18, the father who owned the firearms needs to be investigated.  If he did not properly secure the firearms then he needs to go to jail for this.

Unlike old style combination dial safes that take some time to open, the newer models have keypads and fingerprint readers.  There is really no excuse for people to leave firearms unsecured around the home.

Burn That Belly said:
momopi said:
Burn That Belly said:
Really, no one is talking about what happened today?

10 dead, 10 wounded in shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas, explosives found on campus: Officials
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/active-sh...ool-texas-141104621--abc-news-topstories.html

Under Texas State Law, minors are prohibited from accessing firearms unless under direct adult supervision for hunting and sporting activities.  Since the shooter is under 18, the father who owned the firearms needs to be investigated.  If he did not properly secure the firearms then he needs to go to jail for this.

Unlike old style combination dial safes that take some time to open, the newer models have keypads and fingerprint readers.  There is really no excuse for people to leave firearms unsecured around the home.

If a burglar broke into your home through a window while you are sleeping, you only have seconds to react. Have to grab that piece in the nightstand. Spray and pray.  ;D

Castle Doctrine baby.

If the burglar easily gained entry through your window, it means you did not properly secure the entry points to your home.

Your windows and patio doors can be reinforced with smash-proof film, upgraded locks, and window/patio door screens replaced with light security screens.  Alarms, flood lights, and window bars can also be added.

"I grew up with guns, and I like owning them. So does my husband Mark. It?s an interest we?ve shared ever since we met. It?s part of my heritage as an Arizonan and it?s my right as an American. Being able to shoot a gun is something I haven?t been able to do since I was shot ? because my right arm is paralyzed, and I?m less mobile than I was." - Gabby Giffords, who now speaks out for the advocates of banning all guns.

Here is Gabby smiling, posing with an AR-15, and a target of a teenager she shot repeatedly.

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2013/03/15/gabrielle-giffords-leaked-ar-15-hypocrisy-pose-from-the-past/

morekaos said:
So here we are 4 months later, several elections, and what has changed?  Nothing, so predictable.

Must act now. Too weak to stand up to the NRA like he said he will.

True, that on a Federal level, nothings changed. The States have tightened gun laws since Parkland. Outside of what the States have done, what precisely should the Feds do?

(PS - Ban "assault weapons" isn't a solution, so please don't start with that)

My .02c

Video clip from 3.1.18 (not to long ago)

Trump tells congressman that he is afraid of the NRA. Another congressman tells Trump he under estimated the power of the NRA. They have great power over you people. They have less power over me.

I didn?t make it up. Check it out. You know me. I don?t make things up.

The video is only 1 minute. MUST WATCh NOW.https://youtu.be/_JfisbUVei4

Yes, this is progress,  well done, only 36 shot and 7 fatalities....buuut its less then last year!!!  Where are the kids protesting this?....at the beach.  Nothing changes, nothing done.

36 people shot in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend, marking a reduction in gun violence

CHICAGO ? Police in the nation?s third-largest city said 36 people were shot ?including seven fatally ? over the Memorial Day weekend, slightly less gunfire than the city has seen over the holiday weekend in the previous two years.

The city tallied six murders and 44 wounded over the weekend ? what has historically been one of the most violent times of the year here ? last year, and seven murders and 61 shooting victims during the 2016 holiday weekend, according to police.

The reduction in gun violence comes as city officials are trying to turn the corner after two horrendous years in which Chicago recorded 650 murders in 2017 and 762 murders in 2016 ? more homicides than any other U.S. city and a level of gun violence more typical of the late 1980s and early 1990s when many major metros were battered by the scourge of gang-fueled drug violence.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/05/29/chicago-36-shot-over-memorial-day-weekend-gun-violence/650932002/

Back