Once again...nothing to be done but prayers and thoughts

fortune11 said:
The second you start losing an argument , point to the one exception and use that to generalize . Yes it?s not going to work

Obviously not 100 percent of teens support the march for life . You don?t need to point to one obscure article to state the obvious .

But they are a significant minority compared to the mlllions who marched last weekend .

And yes , get your million plus gun worshipping teens marching in the streets (heck forget that , just get a few thousand) and media will dutifully cover it .

With all the new money NRA is getting now, it should be easy to hire a few hundred buses no ?  Why should the almighty George Soros be the only one to get credit to fund every leftist conspiracy . I am all for equal rights and fair share  :)

Im a bit cynical, when they did the vigil, local schools basically gave the kids permission to skip class and go to the quad and participate.  Thhe OCregister or highlighted "big" gatherings like San Clement where 1200 kids were in the quad.  San Clementa high has 3200 kids in it.  Which means basically 2/3rds choose not to take a free pass and participate.

It warms my heart not because they're not supporting gun control but are actually obviously choosing to thjnk for themsellves and not be emotionally used.

Frank!y, all the politicians are too busy posing on the issue to propose taking bites from the shit sandwich like closing the private sale background check loophole. 

...and they don?t vote. They make lots of noise but it translates to nothing. A very consistent stat...nothing will change.

Why young people don?t vote

UNLIKE presidential contests, America?s mid-term elections do not seem to inspire many people. In 2012 fully 59% of registered voters turned up at the polls for the presidential election. But two years earlier just 42% bothered to cast their votes in the 2010 mid-term elections, and this year?s turnout may be even lower. Few are as uninterested as the young. In 2010 the turnout of people aged 18 to 24 was just 21%. Such low turnout means that in mid-term years, Republicans (whose voters tend to be older) dominate the ballot, even though they cannot win so easily in presidential years. In plenty of Senate races, Democrats are banking, perhaps too hopefully, on an unusually high youth turnout to win. Why is it so difficult to get young people to vote?

https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/10/economist-explains-24

morekaos said:
...and they don?t vote. They make lots of noise but it translates to nothing. A very consistent stat...nothing will change.

Why young people don?t vote

UNLIKE presidential contests, America?s mid-term elections do not seem to inspire many people. In 2012 fully 59% of registered voters turned up at the polls for the presidential election. But two years earlier just 42% bothered to cast their votes in the 2010 mid-term elections, and this year?s turnout may be even lower. Few are as uninterested as the young. In 2010 the turnout of people aged 18 to 24 was just 21%. Such low turnout means that in mid-term years, Republicans (whose voters tend to be older) dominate the ballot, even though they cannot win so easily in presidential years. In plenty of Senate races, Democrats are banking, perhaps too hopefully, on an unusually high youth turnout to win. Why is it so difficult to get young people to vote?

https://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/10/economist-explains-24

Young people don't vote because 1) they don't think it matters, 2) they don't have anything that they care about, and/or 3) they are distracted by other things.    They are now on TV and being attacked by the far right.   

The President is also attacking young people and their values on a regular basis.  The same reason why Trump's supporters back him are the same reasons why younger voters have great disdain for him
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...young-voter_surge_growing_in_2018_135798.html

If that?s the demo you are depending on...you can have them. As I said before, have you ever had a conversation with an 18-20 year old about politics? It?s shocking how uninformed and malleable they are. Even the educated ones I love are not only breathtakingly ignorant of even a basic idea of how our political system works. Not only that, they are lazy, they?ll be happy to bend your ear with an opinion but few will take the time to vote or even register (which they don?t know they have to do ahead of time, LOL). Good luck with that...you can have them, I?ll take them later when they start paying taxes and actually vote.

morekaos said:
If that?s the demo you are depending on...you can have them. As I said before, have you ever had a conversation with an 18-20 year old about politics? It?s shocking how uninformed and malleable they are. Even the educated ones I love are not only breathtakingly ignorant of even a basic idea of how our political system works. Not only that, they are lazy, they?ll be happy to bend your ear with an opinion but few will take the time to vote or even register (which they don?t know they have to do ahead of time, LOL). Good luck with that...you can have them, I?ll take them later when they start paying taxes and actually vote.

Okay...ignore at your own peril. 

Always a force to be reconned with...the power of youth, Rock the Vote!!.

Rock the Vote hypocrites: Lena Dunham, Whoopi Goldberg and other celebs who urged young people to turn out didn't take part in last midterms themselves, records reveal

At least five stars in a recent Rock the Vote PSA urging youth to exercise their franchise didn't bother to show up to the polls themselves in 2010
Orange is the New Black's Natasha Lyonne, Glee's Darren Criss and Rich Kids of Beverly Hills star E.J. Johnson did not vote four years ago
Neither did Goldberg or Dunham, who admittedly voted for her 'first time' in the 2012 presidential election
Only a quarter of 18-29 year olds voted in the last midterms; the same percentage are expected to vote this year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2819228/Rock-Vote-hypocrites-Lena-Dunham-Whoopi-Goldberg-celebs-urged-young-people-turn-didn-t-midterms-records-reveal.html

I?m not sure if you watch tv. But the movement with the high school students is legit even Fox News was covering the event.

Thousands showed up for these events too, and they were of voting age.  Still didn?t work. This is more a media firecracker than a deep, consequential, lasting ?movement ?.

Rock the Vote Kicks Off Five Premier Inaugural Events
Featuring Sheryl Crow, the Beastie Boys, Talib Kweli, Michael Franti, Adrian Grenier, Dresden Dolls and many more

https://www.rockthevote.org/rock-the-vote-kicks-off-five/

I don?t think people seen this before. I don?t know if it?s true but they are comparing it to the civil rights movement.

eyephone said:
I don?t think people seen this before. I don?t know if it?s true but they are comparing it to the civil rights movement.

I have said this here before and I will say it again.

This is like tipping a vending machine - it just doesn't happen in one try -- all previous attempts at rocking it back and forth , only to end up at the same stable equilibrium vertical position, until that final push when it tips over. 

smart investors know this - applies to every walk of life, economic of course , but even social areas  - you name it.  Those who don't are the ones who end up holding stocks in yellow pages / directory companies -- you get the joke.

civil rights , gay rights , collapse of Soviet Union, countless examples. 

Just do a thought experiment -- imagine we had this very talk Irvine board and these same type of posters  in the mid 60s with civil rights movement or in the mid 90s with gay rights movement - what would they be saying ?  Just imagine  ...

Your mind took a big gulp just now, right :)

People stuck in the rut / old way of thinking keep denying it till its too late and then quickly fall in line to survive. you can only live in the Fox News bubble for so long till reality engulfs  you. 

November is a long way away.  You may have gotten exceptional turnout if voting was this month, but come election time these kids will be in another world back to eating Tide pods and pouring vodka in their eyeballs (or whatever the next self destructive, attention seeking fad is).

morekaos said:
Thousands showed up for these events too, and they were of voting age.  Still didn?t work. This is more a media firecracker than a deep, consequential, lasting ?movement ?.

Rock the Vote Kicks Off Five Premier Inaugural Events
Featuring Sheryl Crow, the Beastie Boys, Talib Kweli, Michael Franti, Adrian Grenier, Dresden Dolls and many more

https://www.rockthevote.org/rock-the-vote-kicks-off-five/

No...they show up for the concert...not for the cause.  This time, they showed up for the events/cause without the pageantry.  I do not have teenagers yet but good luck trying to get them out the door and do anything that they do not want to do.

These events are being organized on a grassroots level, many of them by the students themselves.  You give kids way too little credit these days.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03...committee-meets-saturday-welcomes-volunteers/
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...ganizing-an-SF-rally-against-gun-12771947.php
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...ents-mobilize-to-dc-march-20180319-story.html

Kings said:
November is a long way away.  You may have gotten exceptional turnout if voting was this month, but come election time these kids will be in another world back to eating Tide pods and pouring vodka in their eyeballs (or whatever the next self destructive, attention seeking fad is).

Again...ignore at your own risk.    Fox News people were convinced that the movement would peter out after a few days but going on stronger than ever. 

Teenagers are always doing stupid things but kids/teenagers are significantly more aware and focused than the last several generation.  When I was a teenager, going to pick up trash at the beach was a big deal.   

Now that they have seem that the movement has actual effect, the teenagers will be super motivated to continue.  This, in part, is why the Fox News and ultra right are dumb...they keep antagonizing the kids and acting like bullies.  They would have been much better off placating the protestors.

Let me tell you, I do have teenage kids, And they are laughing at this movement.  I did a career day at a local public high school recently and if California kids think of it this way, nationally, you?re kidding yourself.  Additionally, none of these kids are going to be able to vote in the midterms elections so the point is moot

morekaos said:
Let me tell you, I do have teenage kids, And they are laughing at this movement.  I did a career day at a local public high school recently and if California kids think of it this way, nationally, you?re kidding yourself.  Additionally, none of these kids are going to be able to vote in the midterms elections so the point is moot

Your personal story doesn?t reflect the national effect.

I agree, if my little corner of Cali is like this the rest of the country can only be better. We sit on the extreme left.

Oh oh, what happened here ?

Where is the almighty NRA with its all powerful cash hoard from new donations ? They couldn?t save one of their own ?

How come a bunch of little , insignificant, George soros funded kids were able to humble this propaganda  network yet again ?

Please someone enlighten us ? for once , without using ?but Hillary ... ?

BREAKING: Laura Ingraham announced on tonight's show that she would take next week off and be replaced by "a great lineup of guest hosts"

can't wait for the massive turnout in november

Despite media narrative, study says teenagers made up just 10 percent of March for Our Lives crowd

A university professor studying large-scale, Trump-era protests in Washington says the media is giving the wrong impression about who made up the crowd during last weekend?s anti-gun March for Our Lives demonstration.

?My research tells a different story about who participated in the March for Our Lives ? and it is more complicated and less well-packaged for prime time,? University of Maryland sociology professor Dana R. Fisher wrote in a Wednesday story for the Washington Post.

Fisher?s study indicates that -- while news coverage focused on the teenagers marching for gun control in the wake of last month?s shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida --- 90 percent of the crowd was actually adults. She said the average age of adults in the crowd was just under 49.

?Contrary to what?s been reported in many media accounts, the D.C. March for Our Lives crowd was not primarily made up of teenagers,? Fisher wrote. ?Only about 10 percent of the participants were under 18.?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ercent-march-for-our-lives-crowd.html[/quote]

Today I passed a sign on the highway demanding I go some kind of ?speed limit ?

They are coming for our cars next , people !!

The only way to stop a bad guy w a car is with a thousand good guys on foot  ? NRA spokesperson

Kings said:

It's really not the "greatest generation" is it?

The 'condom snorting challenge' is every parent's worst nightmare

Viral videos posted on social media show teenagers snorting condoms as part of a so-called "condom snorting challenge."

In the videos, teens put an unwrapped condom up one of their nostrils and inhale until the condom comes out of their mouth. Like other viral challenges, the condom snorting challenge has been around for years but recently reemerged on social media.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/02/condom-snorting-challenge-every-parents-worst-nightmare/477431002/

Back