Oil

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the suspension of the state gas tax won't work... what is to stop the stations/companies from just bumping up prices to cover that 26, 34 or 51 cents and just make more profit?

The same reason they can't do this normally - competition would push the price back down.

CalBears96 said:
I brought this up before. Oil price dropped 25% from high and gas price went UP. Greed oil company. That's all.

When has there not been oil company greed?  Basic logic suggests this doesn't explain the current situation.

irvinehomeowner said:
Just like Irvine real estate, goes up faster, goes down slower. :)

Recent history is it goes up slower, and goes down slower.  It's less of a boom/bust city than other areas.

She shows a firm grasp of the problem and offers insightful and deeply thought through policy fixes....don't you think?..profound and deeply moving.. ;D ;D >:D

?How do we get to a solution for [gas prices]?? the host asked Kamala Harris.

?Well first of all we?ve been, um, you know, understanding that it is a real issue, um, what we have done is we?ve actually released some of the reserves, the petroleum reserves to bring down the cost of gas prices. And we are also dealing with ? the cost of gas is just part of the issue of the cost of living, right?? Harris said. ?It?s too expensive for too many people.?

Kamala Harris was also asked for some words of encouragement to Americans who are struggling.

?I would say first of all thank you for being a fighter, for knowing that we have reason to have faith in what is possible but we have to work to make it achievable and that includes what folks did to get out and vote in 2020 because that led to ? I think of it like this ? people put in their order and said this is what I want.?
https://youtu.be/kwRI1QjiGAg

morekaos said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Hmmm, we are paying $6/gallon and most parts of the US are in the $3s....what gives?

A stupid electorate who voted higher gas taxes onto itself.

California just plain and simply gets ripped off for everything.

It's not just gas, it's electricity rates too and it's long been housing.

Ready2Downsize said:
morekaos said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Hmmm, we are paying $6/gallon and most parts of the US are in the $3s....what gives?

A stupid electorate who voted higher gas taxes onto itself.

California just plain and simply gets ripped off for everything.

It's not just gas, it's electricity rates too and it's long been housing.

Much of that is self inflicted pain that is directly related to policy, taxes and regulation.

Ready2Downsize said:
OCtoSV said:
gas taxes, limited CA refining capacity for the special blend we use.

Why is California paying such a high per kw rate for electricity compared to other states? Can't be a special blend because it's higher in winter AND summer.
https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/

California?s size and geography inflate the ?fixed? costs of operating its electric system.

It includes maintenance, generation, transmission, and distribution, and public programs like wildfire mitigation, CARE, and other programs driven by clean energy and electrification mandates as well as utility investments in system modernization.

Those costs don?t change based on how much electricity residents consume, yet between 66% and 77% of Californians? electricity bills are used to offset the costs of those programs.

PG&E filed for bankruptcy protection in January 2019, after being held financially responsible for a series of deadly and destructive wildfires in 2017 and 2018.

Brandon is blowing out our war reserves in a futile attempt to drive down current prices but in reality that will only drive up future prices to advance his green dream..Kills two birds with one stone...it won't work. The only answer is a wartime footing to drill and flood the market with cheap American energy.  Sooner or later the lure of profits will draw the industry off the bench and there is nothing this administration will be able to do about it, but for now...everyone suffers equally.

U.S. to release 1 million barrels of oil per day from reserves to help cut gas prices

The Biden administration on Thursday said the U.S. will release 1 million barrels of oil per day from reserves. President Joe Biden will speak about energy prices later in the day.
?The scale of this release is unprecedented: the world has never had a release of oil reserves at this 1 million per day rate for this length of time,? the White House said.
The administration also used Thursday?s announcement to criticize the domestic energy industry for ?sitting on? 9,000 unused but already approved permits for production.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/31/us-...day-from-reserves-to-help-cut-gas-prices.html

Oil companies have little to no incentive to help an admiration that has made it a public policy to kill their industry.  They make twice the profits pumping the same amount of oil they did 6 months ago.  Taxing unused leases is stupid and shows a total lack of understanding how the lease and drill market works.  One million barrels a day does little to impact prices.  Brandon wants to drain the reserves anyway in order to drive up future prices and try to kill the oil industry in a vein attempt to bolster the electric market...it won't work and will only make the pain worse.  Only a call to reduce regulation and unleash drilling will flood the market with cheaper oil and bring down prices. Basic econ 101. The markets know this but will have to wait out till after the midterms

morekaos said:
Oil companies have little to no incentive to help an admiration that has made it a public policy to kill their industry.  They make twice the profits pumping the same amount of oil they did 6 months ago.  Taxing unused leases is stupid and shows a total lack of understanding how the lease and drill market works.  One million barrels a day does little to impact prices.  Brandon wants to drain the reserves anyway in order to drive up future prices and try to kill the oil industry in a vein attempt to bolster the electric market...it won't work and will only make the pain worse.  Only a call to reduce regulation and unleash drilling will flood the market with cheaper oil and bring down prices. Basic econ 101. The markets know this but will have to wait out till after the midterms

The sad part is that cars only use a faction of the oil.  The majority of the oil is used by manufacturers for chemicals, clothes, anything that has plastic in it, and jet fuel.  Last time I checked planes are not going electric anytime soon.  Even if 50% of all cars are EV we will still be very dependent on oil for everything else. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:

The sad part is that cars only use a faction of the oil.  The majority of the oil is used by manufacturers for chemicals, clothes, anything that has plastic in it, and jet fuel.  Last time I checked planes are not going electric anytime soon.  Even if 50% of all cars are EV we will still be very dependent on oil for everything else.
I believe the process of making batteries is also not so eco-friendly either. And right now I?m not sure if there is a eco-friendly way of disposing batteries. Don?t even talk about car batteries, we are disposing smart phones at such a quick rate too. I?m not even sure if there is a process to dispose that in a eco-friendly way.

Battery and electrical car cannot be the end game unless there is. Breakthrough in battery tech and recycling.

Hybrid is the best compromise.

Unleashing drilling and reducing regulation is not the answer either.

This is not a real supply/demand issue, it's a corporate greed one... again, less than 10% of our oil is from Russia so how does that suddenly result in dollar hikes of gas prices?

Reducing reliance on oil by alternative fuels is the long term solution.

sleepy5136 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:

I believe the process of making batteries is also not so eco-friendly either. And right now I?m not sure if there is a eco-friendly way of disposing batteries. Don?t even talk about car batteries, we are disposing smart phones at such a quick rate too. I?m not even sure if there is a process to dispose that in a eco-friendly way.

By the way the same is true for Solar...very messy and environmentally unfriendly...you have been living in a dream world, Neo.  Energy production is not AN answer...it is THE answer.  That is why drill now, drill often...drill everywhere!!.. The ONLY short term answer is use American ingenuity, resources and yes GREED to not just satiate the market...flood it with cheap US OIL.  That will lower prices, stave off inflation, ignite economic growth and defeat our enemies....it really is that simple.
https://youtu.be/t-Nz6us7DUA

Back