Oil

morekaos said:
irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
At $90,000-$150,000.00 msrp what do the rest of us drive? ;D >:D

See... out of touch morekaos.

EVs start under $40k now and with the guvmnt $7500k credit for most non-Tesla models + CA rebates... you're looking at $30k.

Model S Plaids have an msrp of  $90-$150k.

Bad reading comprehension on your part again.

I was comparing the Plaid to the X5M that qwerty mentioned... guess how much those cost?

Prospective EV owners should be clear on one thing before they go new car shopping: electric cars are more expensive to purchase. According to the United States Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), the average sticker price on a new electric vehicle is approximately $19,000 more than that of a new gasoline-powered vehicle.
https://www.compare.com/electric-cars/guides/electric-car-cost

Funded by all the rest of us through subsidies and tax incentives so that a bunch of rich Californians can drive them, and import the energy to charge them ?bargain equity.

nosuchreality said:
I have an EV I adore for the convenience, economy, etc.  purchase price stunk, but that is steadily getting better.

It fulfills 99.9% of our families driving trips.  It also fulfills about 90% of our annual miles.

That?s the rub.  If forced to go to one vehicle, those 10% of miles and 0.1% of trips, financially wreck the cost proposition of the EV for us. 

To go solo EV, I?d need a rated 500 mile range EV.  With real world driving would probably give me the the real 400 range I need without lengthy stops to refuel.

Or I need reliable holiday peak travel stops to recharge in 20 minutes to add 200+ miles of range.  Without traffic, 200 miles is 3 hours of driving.  Usually a quick bio break, but no need for lengthy stops.

Alternatively, I need reliable, expedient and cost proportional access to a gas road trip vehicle.  Last time I checked, all three of those are coming up short.

My model X can go about 350 miles, so it's getting pretty close to your need. But it does charge at a slower rate so might not work for you.

I've heard from friends that Tesla supercharging stations can charge 800 - 1000 miles/hour on model 3 or model Y.

Why not just rent a car for your 0.1% of need? You can get unlimited miles rentals from costco travel

Or if you're not going far, third party car share app like turo is pretty inexpensive.

Yea, access to the Tesla Super chargers will probably push our next EV to Tesla if they don?t open their superchargers.

The 200 miles in 15 minutes is an ?up to? number, but even 100 miles in 15 minutes is great.

My spring break trip to Phoenix was the first time in the last few years that I did not see a line at the Flying J superchargers.  Quartzite has a newer 36 station set up at Carl?s.  Still 230 miles Irvine to Quartzite.  I?m hoping the non-Tesla supercharging pilot goes well in Europe.

As for the 99.9%, it?s a ?trips? number.  Maybe as low as 99%.  It?s a once, sometimes twice a month need the long range to maybe once every three months.  Sometimes planned for a while, sometimes planned this week.  Often on a weekend, sometimes 4-5 days or a week or two. 

To school for our son, an errand, maybe lunch, back to school for pick up, off to karate, off to another appointment, all those trips = 99%.  It?s a somedays 3 trips, others 6-8.

The let?s  go to Paso this weekend, Morro Bay, Phoenix spring break, Mammoth, Tahoe, eastern Sierra?s, Flagstaff, that?s the 0.1-1% but 10% of miles (maybe more like 20%)

A weekend rental depending on the car is $300-$500.  Cheaper than a car payment, but if I need a second car anyway, that?s sunk.

Kenkoko said:
nosuchreality said:
I have an EV I adore for the convenience, economy, etc.  purchase price stunk, but that is steadily getting better.

It fulfills 99.9% of our families driving trips.  It also fulfills about 90% of our annual miles.

That?s the rub.  If forced to go to one vehicle, those 10% of miles and 0.1% of trips, financially wreck the cost proposition of the EV for us. 

To go solo EV, I?d need a rated 500 mile range EV.  With real world driving would probably give me the the real 400 range I need without lengthy stops to refuel.

Or I need reliable holiday peak travel stops to recharge in 20 minutes to add 200+ miles of range.  Without traffic, 200 miles is 3 hours of driving.  Usually a quick bio break, but no need for lengthy stops.

Alternatively, I need reliable, expedient and cost proportional access to a gas road trip vehicle.  Last time I checked, all three of those are coming up short.

My model X can go about 350 miles, so it's getting pretty close to your need. But it does charge at a slower rate so might not work for you.

I've heard from friends that Tesla supercharging stations can charge 800 - 1000 miles/hour on model 3 or model Y.

Why not just rent a car for your 0.1% of need? You can get unlimited miles rentals from costco travel

Or if you're not going far, third party car share app like turo is pretty inexpensive.

Thats why you need 3CWG

2 small EVs (model 3 for example) for the daily commute, 1 gas powered mini van or large SUV for the long road trips

nosuchreality said:
Yea, access to the Tesla Super chargers will probably push our next EV to Tesla if they don?t open their superchargers.

The 200 miles in 15 minutes is an ?up to? number, but even 100 miles in 15 minutes is great.

My spring break trip to Phoenix was the first time in the last few years that I did not see a line at the Flying J superchargers.  Quartzite has a newer 36 station set up at Carl?s.  Still 230 miles Irvine to Quartzite.  I?m hoping the non-Tesla supercharging pilot goes well in Europe.

As for the 99.9%, it?s a ?trips? number.  Maybe as low as 99%.  It?s a once, sometimes twice a month need the long range to maybe once every three months.  Sometimes planned for a while, sometimes planned this week.  Often on a weekend, sometimes 4-5 days or a week or two. 

To school for our son, an errand, maybe lunch, back to school for pick up, off to karate, off to another appointment, all those trips = 99%.  It?s a somedays 3 trips, others 6-8.

The let?s  go to Paso this weekend, Morro Bay, Phoenix spring break, Mammoth, Tahoe, eastern Sierra?s, Flagstaff, that?s the 0.1-1% but 10% of miles (maybe more like 20%)

A weekend rental depending on the car is $300-$500.  Cheaper than a car payment, but if I need a second car anyway, that?s sunk.

Kenkoko said:
nosuchreality said:

morekaos said:
Prospective EV owners should be clear on one thing before they go new car shopping: electric cars are more expensive to purchase. According to the United States Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), the average sticker price on a new electric vehicle is approximately $19,000 more than that of a new gasoline-powered vehicle.
https://www.compare.com/electric-cars/guides/electric-car-cost

Funded by all the rest of us through subsidies and tax incentives so that a bunch of rich Californians can drive them, and import the energy to charge them ?bargain equity.

Fee per mile driven is coming to make up for the gas tax EV cars do not pay by the end of the decade thanks to the low tax and spend state of California. Cities are wanting to add additional fees per mile driven.

Not clear how the state is going to charge for this and how they are going to charge people who don't live in the state or you'd have that charge by now.

Model 3 + Tesla Solar/PW got us oil and PGE-free for 70K net of the Fed tax credit. PGE owes me $441 for last year's NEM excess gen, and given my new M3 may not be here until Sept that could triple for this coming annual true-up. Meanwhile friends with small condos that run AC are seeing ~$300 PGE bills, and large homes are >$500. Security of power and reduction of gas spending was our primary purchasing criteria but the inflation hedge is proving an added benefit.

More homes going solar and giving back to the grid helps with any electrical supply concerns.

Cost of electricity without solar is still cheaper than gas... especially at the current corp greed markups.

OCtoSV said:
Model 3 + Tesla Solar/PW got us oil and PGE-free for 70K net of the Fed tax credit. PGE owes me $441 for last year's NEM excess gen, and given my new M3 may not be here until Sept that could triple for this coming annual true-up. Meanwhile friends with small condos that run AC are seeing ~$300 PGE bills, and large homes are >$500. Security of power and reduction of gas spending was our primary purchasing criteria but the inflation hedge is proving an added benefit.

I'm getting Model 3 and Mach E. I'm planning to install solar panel. Is it worth getting PW for $10k?

CalBears96 said:
OCtoSV said:

I'm getting Model 3 and Mach E. I'm planning to install solar panel. Is it worth getting PW for $10k?

$7K factoring in the tax credit. Without it no free electrons after sundown and you're back to paying for electricity. Solar without battery doesn't make a lot of sense unless the system is really cheap.

OCtoSV said:
CalBears96 said:
OCtoSV said:

$7K factoring in the tax credit. Without it no free electrons after sundown and you're back to paying for electricity. Solar without battery doesn't make a lot of sense unless the system is really cheap.

You get tax credit for PW also? I thought only for solar panels. In that case, it's probably worth it.

OCtoSV said:

Is that $441 the net gen credit on your monthly bill?    When they cash it out, it might be surprising.

irvinehomeowner said:
especially at the current corp greed markups.

Maybe we should nationalize oil production like Venezuela.. That has worked out incredibly well for them.

CalBears96 said:
OCtoSV said:
CalBears96 said:
OCtoSV said:

You get tax credit for PW also? I thought only for solar panels. In that case, it's probably worth it.

tax credit on the whole installation, which for me included an extra $7K of roof tile replacement (Tesla found the sub to do it).

nosuchreality said:
OCtoSV said:

Is that $441 the net gen credit on your monthly bill?    When they cash it out, it might be surprising.

for the 1 year cycle true-up PGE owes me $441.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Maybe we should nationalize oil production like Venezuela.. That has worked out incredibly well for them.

I sense sarcasm here but isn't morekaos' "more drilling" mantra a dangerous step in this direction?

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I sense sarcasm here but isn't morekaos' "more drilling" mantra a dangerous step in this direction?

I would be in favor of removing all oil subsidies in exchange for opening up drilling, fracking, and pipelines.

Long term I would like to see nuclear replace fossil fuel usage to the extent possible.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Dangerous?  More like just common sense, it would just get us back to where were a few years ago.  Life on earth was just fine last year...It is the ONLY simple answer. ;D ;D >:D

Drill baby dril!!l...It is the only way...Money always trumps political stands...

Biden administration to resume leasing for oil and gas drilling on federal lands
The move comes as President Joe Biden seeks new ways to help lower gas prices.

The Interior Department announced that on Monday it will release a sale notice for leases to drill on 144,000 acres of government land ? 80 percent less than what was initially being evaluated for potential leasing.

President Joe Biden, who on the campaign trail called for an end to drilling on federal lands, has been looking for ways to temporarily increase U.S. energy production to help drive down the price of gas. His administration has been under growing pressure to do more to lower gas prices, with Republicans in particular saying it should allow more drilling.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...sing-oil-gas-drilling-federal-lands-rcna24646

Back