Northwood High is closer to landfill than Portola High

Done!!
And, from now on wards, whom ever you meet/talk-to about schools/housing, please do them a favor and give them a complete picture :)

YellowFever said:
OCLuvr said:
:D..Sure.
Problem is: on all four counts, you mentioned, it is 2:2 between Northwood High and Portola High. So, we should definitely see.

1. Landfill distance: So far, everyone was under the impression that Norhwood high is far from landfill, but it turns out, with proof, that Northwood high is closer to landfill than Portola high. Nothwood High 1 : Portola High 0

2. Pesticide usage: Most infected area/neighborhood in Irvine is: Orchard hills which engulfs Norhtwood high
Norhtwood High 2: Portola High 0

3. TCE contamination: Portola High is closer;so, Northwood high 2: Portola High 1

4. Cemetery: Still proposed; May or may not see light of the day. Portola High is closer; so,
Northwood High 2: Portola High 2

So, I would let 7bn people decide which metric is more important for them :)

YellowFever said:
Does anyone here seriously THINK that the majority of buyers in Irvine have done their due diligence and know what TCE is, or know where the landfill is, or know about the proposed cemetery, and pesticides?

Hah!  I cannot remember the countless number of times that I have ran across so many couples, and families of either fobs or Americans moving from the east coast to Irvine while visiting model homes and the first thing when I tell them about is the landfill and TCE and their eyes are like  :eek: :eek:  .  These people clearly have ZERO clue where the landfill is or that it even exists let alone TCE. And yeah, those mainland and Taiwanese investors?  Forget about it. They're cash buyers. They don't even know how to use Google let alone do research.  Once they were informed you could literally tell they became very concerned!

As I've stated before. People need to die first before the greatest achievements and breakthroughs are discovered in medical/scientific history. The question ULTIMATELY as I kept stating boils down to, "Do you or would you like your children to participate in helping mankind reach those successes by being the guinea pig?"  I sure as hell don't.  8)

We will eventually(very,very long time) have a CURE for TCE-causing cancers, but not before thousands must die from it first. So if you guys would like sign up, then please, by all means!  ;D

For me, I will 'selectively' choose the neighborhoods I want to live in that I am willing to tolerate and gamble on.

OCLuvr will be sending his/her kids to PSHigh and hopefully we'll be able to get some datapoints from that as well one day.  ;) Until then, enroll enroll enroll because it's business as usual!

So don't buy in PS or OH period.  ;) Send the kids to Beckman.  ;D

You are funny!!. In that case, do tell them that there is Minnesota health dept  study about TCE and there is WHO study about pesticides  ;)
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/21/...nks-ingredient-in-roundup-to-cancer.html?_r=0

If they are not local, also tell them most restaurants use "pesticide" laden food--unless they want to carry this cleaner and request restaurant to clean vegetables with this cleaner; still I am not sure how much pesticide would be removed.

So the problem is being exposed to HIGH concentration of TCE over lengthy periods of time. As in the people who de-grease equipment with it for a living. TCE permeating through the ground from a shallow groundwater plume might not be as much of an issue. Where's the data on TCE levels in the air inside houses over the plume? Most of the recorded data so far is from monitoring wells.

Pesticides on fruits/vegetables are very different from what is in the soil. The soil contains accumulated amounts over many decades of farming whereas the fruit has been exposed over one season only (although it does also get some of the stuff from the soil as it grows - with progressively higher concentrations as the farmland gets used).

OCLuvr said:
hello said:
OCLuvr said:
YellowFever said:
jmoney74 said:
YellowFever said:
The state of California is now stepping in.  They are ordering that more tests be done.  Clearly the city cannot be trusted. ;)
https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...2-portola-high-school-20160311-story,amp.html

A lot of you skeptics keep downplaying this but I'm telling all you folks that the people who are in power, the rich, the elite, will stop at nothing to get what they want and put innocent lives at risk for the sake of making money.  That's why I'm telling you, don't believe anything and do your own research and make your own judgement.  We will wait and see just like Quail Hill where a ton of the kids there got brain cancer/tumors from pesticides and women experienced miscarriages.

At the end of the day, my opinion is fu** ps high because I'm not taking the risk of sending my kids there to play in the playground or drink the water from the fountain.  That is a "calculated risk" that I'm taking and my .02 cent.

Either Ur a bad troll or you just don't bother to read. This is an old article.

Listen. You can attack me on past tense/present tense mistakes or my spelling mistakes or my grammar mistakes or maybe my fobby accent. 

You're missing the point. Read what "hello"'s reponse above.  He got my point.
One more data point: one should stopping eating out, as most restaurants use roundup-based productshttp://time.com/4711846/roundup-weed-killer-cancer/
I think bigger cause of cancer should be what you put inside you than what is surrounding you

I agree with this comment for the most part.  Most people are oblivious to what is in their food supply.  Unfortunately, the use of glyphosate(roundup) is so prevalent we are seeing it everywhere, including our food supply but most frighteningly in our blood and even lactating womens breast milk.

Where I disagree with you is the idea that just because one is more dangerous, other sources of toxic exposure is not important.  I would argue that although the food supply is concerning, your living environment may be almost just as important.  In the end its about reducing the amount of exposure as much as possible, not eliminating it, as elimination will be impossible.  Thus one should be cautious in general and avoid focusing only on a specific source.  I assume since this is a housing blog and not a food blog, the discussion will focus mostly on housing related issues. 

just my 2 cents.
Glad you are agreeing to the point. And,let me help you walk why it is related to housing. Do you know which is MOST highly pesticide infested area in Irvine is: Orchard Hills. :) (Somebody had shared a chart on TI).

Based on your map, the highest concentration of pesticides (dark red) is centered at Jeffrey and Portola, which makes it northern portion of Eastwood, portion of Northwood Pointe, and future tracts on the Irvine school district side of Orchard Hills, which have not even broken ground yet for housing. The 2nd highest tier includes the current Irvine school side of Orchard Hills, AND Cypress Village and Cypress Village East

And regarding distance of Northwood vs Portola High  from landfills--its not just about distance as the bird flies, but also consider which place is down the slope from the landfill, as the land fill run off percolates with gravity--preferentially toward Portola, I would think.

YellowFever said:
Nobody can formulate the dosage/frequency/cancer/fatality equation. So the only option you got is to AVOID it at all cost.

There's plenty of data on this and on countless other chemicals (look at what OSHA has to say on the topic, for example).

If you want to AVOID all harmful chemicals at all costs, there is no place for you to live. They are EVERYWHERE!!!

YellowFever said:
We can't avoid it all!  But it's nice to know we can avoid one or two more and that's less risk.

24 daily hazards exposed is better than 43? Wouldn't you agree?  ;)

More like 1482367 is better than 1482368 ... In other words, it's inconsequential. 

Let me correct you here: WB pricing is same as PS. SG pricing is better because Stonegate elementary is #1 elementary school in Irvine. Eastwood is higher pricing because of NW high and low mello roos. As someone pointed out yesterday, model home in TUSD OH is going for way lower price than IUSD OH. If it is about these "hazard" factors, there shouldn't be much price difference between TUSD OH and IUSD OH.
So, it boils down to couple of major reasons:
1. Schools
2. Proximity to freeway
3. Proximity to shopping areas

YellowFever said:
peppy said:
YellowFever said:
We can't avoid it all!  But it's nice to know we can avoid one or two more and that's less risk.

24 daily hazards exposed is better than 43? Wouldn't you agree?  ;)

More like 1482367 is better than 1482368 ... In other words, it's inconsequential.

I disagree. Here's why. Those hazards are the one that are more likelier to affect property values, resale-ability, and future desirability. We all know why PS and GP home prices are cheaper than WB, SG, EW, and OH.  (just home price)

Again, no Asian family is going to buy a home where the front door entry opens up to a staircase upwards. You just lost a huge chunk of the buyer pool. And no Asian family is going to want to buy a home next to a cemetery either!

I am mainly talking about PS1--as always
Can you show me one home in WB with $574/sq ft?https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/21-Seclusion-92618/home/7217608

There are multiple at $470/sq ft in PS1.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/22-Gray-Dove-92618/home/7215424
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/25-Deer-Trak-92618/home/7213292

YellowFever said:
OCLuvr said:
Let me correct you here: WB pricing is same as PS.

I am not sure that is true...Assume same sqft. Townhome vs Townhome. Attached vs attached. Detached vs detached. All variables equal.  I think WB is going to be a little higher. (Do not compare homes in LR with views against a home without a view)

WB is now zoned to Portola High for 2017.  So if you want to send your kids to PSH without living near TCE, Landfill, WB is a better alternative than PS/PS3. Not to mention, WTC, JOST, and closer to the 5fwy and Zion market. PS ain't got nothing coming but the cemetery ;)

I think you only did aerial distance of TCE between PS1 and WB and if I remember correctly, WB was closer to TCE. Attaching picture shared by you. I think it is very obvious from the picture that CV/WB/SG is closer to TCE plume than PS1

Do you really want to know the reason why Woodbury is not that highly priced--even though it has all your bells and whistles? It is: school--Woodbury has year round elementary school and is not highly rated.

As far as Landfill issue goes, SG is only 0.4 miles more that PS1. If landfill was a concern, SG should have faced the heat too.

What is coming up for PS?
1. New ramp under construction on 133; PS/PP residents would completely cut out sand canyon and go on 5/405 using 133. Cherry on top--if Irvine blvd becomes free
2. Once Portola parkway is complete and connects to Foothill ranch part of portola, which is in Irvine city plan docs, Walmart/Target/ so many restaurants would be just 3 miles form PS1--without going to any freeway. :)

YellowFever said:
WB is now zoned to Portola High for 2017.  So if you want to send your kids to PSH without living near TCE, Landfill, WB is a better alternative than PS/PS3. Not to mention, WTC, JOST, and closer to the 5fwy and Zion market. PS ain't got nothing coming but the cemetery ;)

Attachments

• plume.jpg
    plume.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 128
Lets not move the goal post now :). Please see response inline, red.

So, it means that there is agreement that PS1 is more expensive than WB. I think prices are: SG>PS1>WB

1) SG did face some heat for the landfill in the chart, it was a '3'.

OCluvr: Actually, you are proving everyone else's point--even though SG is rated "3" on proximity to landfill, still prices are higher in SG than PS1/WB/CV

2) Kudos to the elementary school thingy.

OCLuvr: This is very subjective. Some people might think that foundation is important. No comments on this one

3) 3 miles from PS3 for shopping/food is still too far if you have to go into FR all the time for groceries (and that's 6 miles round trip!). I like to be less than a mile.  WTC, NWTC, and CyTC are all nearby. Convenience is a big seller/reseller.

OCLuvr: I don't think you are getting the point. Who stops residents of PS1 from going to WTC or the new shopping place coming up on Irvine blvd/Mojeska? You only mentioned that you haven't seen anyone walking with 6 bags of groceries. If that is the case, does it matter if it takes you to reach in 7 minutes as opposed to 5 minutes in your car? The point here is: PS1 residents will have easy access to WTC + Walmart/Target/so many restaurants

5) Oh, and there are already documented cases of kids getting bit by coyotes in PS.  Too much coyotes out there in PS1. I wouldn't trust my puppy or 2 year old to play outside in the yard or park or my 6 year old to go to the park at dusk with his friends.

OCLuvr: Last month,  I have seen two posts from people on Nextdoor that they spotted coyotes in WB. So, as somebody pointed out earlier, coyotes are everywhere in Irvine

6) Finally, if what you say is true about expanding the 133fwy and more openings, and even opening up the 241 to get into Foothill Ranch, let me tell you something, the increased traffic and proximity to those toll roads (soon to be "freeways") are ALL going to be hugely cancer causing!

OCLuvr: No, I am not talking about extending 241. I am talking about extending portola parkay. Whenever you get a chance, please zoom in on portola parkway and you would see a dotted line.

The lines in red are drawn 1500 ft. out perpendicular from the toll roads.  Anyone in that range are going to be heavily affected.

OCLuvr: I dont think you have visited PS1 :). The 241 toll road portion is behind a big hill and completely blocks noise/pollution. I agree that 1/4 of PS1 is with in 1500 ft of 133 toll road. But this is toll road; probably, barranca/alton will have more noise/pollution than 133 toll road. Still, I am ready to give you that 133 toll road proximity to 1/4 PS1 is there and can't be ignored. But this is not something hidden/grounded. Whoever buys it here, sees that there is toll road. Again, my perspective has been from PS1 side, which ends where Lambert ranch begins. I cant comment about part of PS which is after Lambert ranch

By the way, I have added TCE plume picture on my previous post for everyone to see that TCE plume is closer to CV/CVE/WB/WBE/SG/PP than PS1.

Here I rest my case, my lord  8)!

YellowFever said:
2) Kudos to the elementary school thingy.  But god honestly, I cannot remember the last time parents, successful businessmen/women said "We are successful in life because we went to xxx elementary school". LOL.  ;) No, it's "My son went to Wharton and graduated Summa Cum Laude baby!". 
TBH, The high school matters more than elementary as it prepares them for college. There are plenty of programs and 'other' activities you can do to help an elementary kid than just simply relying on the school.

3) 3 miles from PS3 for shopping/food is still too far if you have to go into FR all the time for groceries (and that's 6 miles round trip!). I like to be less than a mile.  WTC, NWTC, and CyTC are all nearby. Convenience is a big seller/reseller.

4) Lastly, like OH, PS1 was also entirely covered in pesticide usage.  So it got a '2' there from me.

5) Oh, and there are already documented cases of kids getting bit by coyotes in PS.  Too much coyotes out there in PS1. I wouldn't trust my puppy or 2 year old to play outside in the yard or park or my 6 year old to go to the park at dusk with his friends.

6) Finally, if what you say is true about expanding the 133fwy and more openings, and even opening up the 241 to get into Foothill Ranch, let me tell you something, the increased traffic and proximity to those toll roads (soon to be "freeways") are ALL going to be hugely cancer causing!

Remember, the CDC articles and lots of scientific studies show you want to be 1500 ft. or further away from any "major busy" road or highway.  Unfortunately, practically the majority of PS1 is in the RED zone. Freeway pollution cancer is coming to them!  ;D

The lines in red are drawn 1500 ft. out perpendicular from the toll roads.  Anyone in that range are going to be heavily affected.
epnp6b.jpg

Back