New Car Deals during COVID-19?

Well MSRP is just a number. At the top trim levels, the Honda Pilot is $48,120 MSRP with the Hyundai at $46,625 and Kia at $43,790. Everyone pretty much agrees the pilot is the ?worst? of the 3. If you?re paying $2k above MSRP for the Kia, it?s still ?cheaper? than a Pilot for an arguably ?better? car.

But I do think the frenzy will die down with more supply, recession, etc. Either way, this has been one of those ?bored in quarantine, what can I research activities.

Bones - have you considered an out of state dealer? On the leasehackr forums you see that quite a bit. Buying/leasing from an out of stare dealer and getting the car shipped. If you can. Get a better price out state that offsets the shipping cost (about 1k I believe) you may be better off.

Came across this on a car forum. It was before Corona really set in though.

I put together offers on cars I?ve received for others to compare or get a general idea of current situation when shopping in my area. In my current search for a new car, sedan to be specific, I have emailed just about every dealer in southern CA for the following makes of interest, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Lexus. The biggest factor for me in determining good deal is % off MSRP dealer offers before rebates or incentives. Note my offers from dealers are for lease, 36 months 15k miles

BMW: Avg dealer mark down on 750 12-18%, best offered is 22%.
Mercedes : Avg dealer markdown for S560 9-11, best offered 12%
Porsche: Ave dealer markdown for Panamera 4e hybrid, 6-8%, best 11%, 15% for a demo
Audi: Avg dealer mark down for A8 6-8%, best offered is 10%
Lexus: All would do 8% for LS500, best offer was 20% for last years models

qwerty said:
Bones - have you considered an out of state dealer? On the leasehackr forums you see that quite a bit. Buying/leasing from an out of stare dealer and getting the car shipped. If you can. Get a better price out state that offsets the shipping cost (about 1k I believe) you may be better off.

Yeah, the cost to ship a car is typically about $1/mile (ask me how I know).

qwerty said:

Not yet.  After all this, I'll probably end up with an Irvine basic X5 ;)

bones said:
qwerty said:

Not yet.  After all this, I'll probably end up with an Irvine basic X5 ;)

Irvine basic is now the Model 3. :)

Oh wait... that's for DINKs and solos.

The Y will become the new entry level for families.

What crazy times we live in, where the price of gasoline has become elastic and the price of cars has become inelastic. 

There will be a reckoning in the auto finance industry. Cars are too expensive and people are overextended?84+month loans.

daedalus said:
What crazy times we live in, where the price of gasoline has become elastic and the price of cars has become inelastic. 

Give it some time, new and used car prices will fall soon.

iacrenter said:
There will be a reckoning in the auto finance industry. Cars are too expensive and people are overextended?84+month loans.

Yeah, I'm seeing more OEMs offering up 0% 72 and 84 month auto loans nows.

daedalus said:

I was surprised to see premium at $2.219 yesterday, I could get used to this.

marmott said:
daedalus said:

Where is that? Costco at the district is 2.60 for premium

qwerty said:
marmott said:
daedalus said:

Where is that? Costco at the district is 2.60 for premium

Costco in Las Vegas also has premium at $2.20/gallon

Back