New Car Deals during COVID-19?

I doubt Tesla will lower the price of the Y or 3 until another maker has something that can challenge either of those models.

Got an email from Irvine BMW they are now back open.  I was wondering how they do test drives now, just let you take the car out on your own?  Even if the salesman sits in the back seat, it?s still too close per regulations.

Best deal at the beginning of a recession/depression/plague?

lnc said:
Looks like QWERTY got the best deal. :)

For BMW, customers usually get better deal with lease than cash purchase since BMWFS offers pretty decent incentives with lease purchase program but no incentive with cash purchase.

I also leased an 2020 X5 at end of last year before COVID started. Here?s the deal I got.  I?m sure the deal should be even better now but I?m put it here for references.
MSRP $62795
Dealer discount $6279.50
BMWFS lease discount $1000
Loyalty Credit discount $1250 (if you currently own a BMW)
Total discount = $8529.50

With 7 MSD, 36m/15k mile per year, payment = $630.34+tax

Emailed a HB dealer and they quoted me $8k ABOVE MSRP for a car I?m interested in.  No covid or recession in HB. Just all beach and sunshine.

bones said:
Emailed a HB dealer and they quoted me $8k ABOVE MSRP for a car I?m interested in.  No covid or recession in HB. Just all beach and sunshine.

Are you buying a limited edition model? $8K above MSRP sounds nuts. I would simply move on to another dealer.

bones said:
I hope it came with $15K in the trunk? 

bones said:

Which car brand?  Did you ask them if they were smoking crack?

It?s gotta be the Kia telluride. That was the only car I know of recently that was selling really well and resulted in a dealer premium.

I was curious to see what all the hype was about and went to check it in Irvine. It was a really nice car. Didn?t test drive it. I think the palisade looks better though

qwerty said:
It?s gotta be the Kia telluride. That was the only car I know of recently that was selling really well and resulted in a dealer premium.

I was curious to see what all the hype was about and went to check it in Irvine. It was a really nice car. Didn?t test drive it. I think the palisade looks better though

I can't imagine a Kia commanding an $8k premium in any economy.

qwerty said:

QWERTY knows his (low end ;)) cars. Another OC dealer quoted me at MSRP.
Not sure it?ll get much better since there?s not a ton of supply. I?ll wait and see.

I know all about low end cars, it?s my wife that knows about the high end cars :-(

Good luck bones! It is a really nice looking car. Both inside and out.  Very spacious as well. It?s one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion. At MSRP, it is the best value out there. The dealer premium is just hard to swallow

I haven?t seen any!  They only sell 5000-6000 units a month. They were supposed to ramp up production to meet demand but with covid, they won?t be able to hit those #s. Also considering the Palisade and pilot. Can get a fully loaded pilot in the high 30s.

I find that staggering.  Where the Koreans are today should be about where the Japanese were in 2000.  Reputation solidified, absolutely, but a 20%+ dealer markup?  Laughable.  Kia was last to the party.  I still think of them as the cheaper Hyundai alternative.

daedalus said:
I find that staggering.  Where the Koreans are today should be about where the Japanese were in 2000.  Reputation solidified, absolutely, but a 20%+ dealer markup?  Laughable.  Kia was last to the party.  I still think of them as the cheaper Hyundai alternative.

Soooo we're not on the same page anymore?

Kidding aside, I had the same initial feelings.  Who the F* pays above MSRP for this?!  But apparently almost everyone per all the car forums.

daedalus said:

Both not on the same level as Toyota or Honda.
Look at the resell market.

aquabliss said:
Anyone been new car shopping lately?  Based on the videos I'm seeing on YouTube, the dealers are anxious to turn *ANY* inventory (new and used) they have on the lot into $Cash$ right now and people are getting some crazy never before seen deals (20%-30%+ off MSRP on new cars).

I'm considering making a lowball offer on a 2020 X5 but I'm half worried they'll take it then I'll have to spend some cash reserve.

Any other comments on deals you or your friends have gotten recently?

Go for an X7 instead

bones said:

Kidding aside, I had the same initial feelings.  Who the F* pays above MSRP for this?!  But apparently almost everyone per all the car forums.
We haven't been entirely on the same page ever since we needed a 3rd row and I didn't know it.  :p

Have you tried the Costco purchase program?  I haven't used it, but I've read mostly positive feedback. 

bones said:
daedalus said:

The only cars that have been commanding prices over MSRP are hard to get Porsche GT allocations but even that will go away as demand dies down. I also heard that Civic Type Rs, Raptors, and Mustang GT350s were commanding premiums over MSRP but as those car manufacturers kept pumping out production the prices go down below MSRP. So my advice is just give it time.

Back