NBA 2015-2016

Not sure if those bigs will be more accurate with underhand free throws.

Have you tried it yourself? The motion is not something you use during the game so it would be a bit strange.

Tim Duncan used to be a horrible FT shooter, same with Blake Griffin, it's really just a practice thing where if you put in the time, it will improve.

The problem with Hacka-strat is it just slows down the rhythm of the game way too much... for both teams... and I don't think the analytics have shown that it's actually very successful.

One suggestion, I forgot who, said to make it if the intentional foul is in the backcourt or the player is out of bounds, then it should be FTs and the ball. This way, if you want to avoid it, you basically have to go 4 on 5 into your offense.

According to the article, the commissioner wants to change the hack a shaq rule.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/03/adam-silver-hack-shaq-rule-eliminate-intentional-fouling

irvinehomeowner said:

Have you tried it yourself? The motion is not something you use during the game so it would be a bit strange.

Tim Duncan used to be a horrible FT shooter, same with Blake Griffin, it's really just a practice thing where if you put in the time, it will improve.

The problem with Hacka-strat is it just slows down the rhythm of the game way too much... for both teams... and I don't think the analytics have shown that it's actually very successful.

One suggestion, I forgot who, said to make it if the intentional foul is in the backcourt or the player is out of bounds, then it should be FTs and the ball. This way, if you want to avoid it, you basically have to go 4 on 5 into your offense.

eyephone said:
According to the article, the commissioner wants to change the hack a shaq rule.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/03/adam-silver-hack-shaq-rule-eliminate-intentional-fouling

irvinehomeowner said:

The best solution is to allow the offense two options if an off-the-ball player is fouled: 1) two free-throws (if in the penalty), or 2) ball out of bounds. This effectively kills the incentive to intentionally foul poor free-throw shooters without the ball, without harming the other team much.

Perspective said:
eyephone said:

irvinehomeowner said:

The best solution is to allow the offense two options if an off-the-ball player is fouled: 1) two free-throws (if in the penalty), or 2) ball out of bounds. This effectively kills the incentive to intentionally foul poor free-throw shooters without the ball, without harming the other team much.

I highly doubt the league is ever going to approve the change...best option is still making free throws.  For the truly terrible like Andre Drummond...I've noticed he's actually quite good at hooks in the post.  I think he should try 1 handed or just shoot free throws like a hook shot...may just work

But if it changes...I do think it should be free throws + possession for fouling off ball player, however, smart coaches like Pop/Kerr would be smart...they would just force those guys in a pick and roll and just foul them hard = normal free throws and no out of bounds...just involve them in any play and get the normal free throws

Whew... lots of trades.

5 years ago, no one would think CHI would ever trade Rose, but that was the last time he was healthy. :)

Not sure why ATL is getting rid of Teague... maybe it's time for the Schroeder Era.

haha about the leagues two biggest market teams. the Lakers have a hard on on reclamation projects on big men and the Knicks the same but on point guards.

It is the Mikan/Wilt/Kareem/Shaq legacy vs the Frazier legacy.

irvinehomeowner said:
Whew... lots of trades.

5 years ago, no one would think CHI would ever trade Rose, but that was the last time he was healthy. :)

Not sure why ATL is getting rid of Teague... maybe it's time for the Schroeder Era.

Perspective said:
eyephone said:

irvinehomeowner said:

I think solution should just be to allow the coach to select ANY player  to take the free throws for off-the-ball fouls if they are in penalty regardless if it is intentional foul or not -- same as like if a player is injured while being fouled  (thus any loose ball foul would also be under this rule, thus removing the discretion from the referee to determine whether it is hack a shaq or not).

When was the last time a reclamation project worked out? Who a player becomes by Yr 3 or 4 is pretty much who they're going to be.

Devastating injuries are the exception but too many teams think they'll be able to fix bad personalities, poor work ethic, or incomplete skill sets. When have those ever changed in veteran players?

The California Court Company said:
haha about the leagues two biggest market teams. the Lakers have a hard on on reclamation projects on big men and the Knicks the same but on point guards.

irvinehomeowner said:
Whew... lots of trades.

acpme said:
When was the last time a reclamation project worked out? Who a player becomes by Yr 3 or 4 is pretty much who they're going to be.

Devastating injuries are the exception but too many teams think they'll be able to fix bad personalities, poor work ethic, or incomplete skill sets. When have those ever changed in veteran players?

The California Court Company said:

irvinehomeowner said:
Whew... lots of trades.

Seems like a riskless move for the Knicks.  What are they losing?  Jerian Grant?  Good..but limited upside.  Lopez?  Meh...he's a poor man's J. Noah.  I don't really like Rose, but the Knicks aren't really paying a steep price for the hopes he revives his career in a new place.  Personally, I would've liked to see him in Memphis once Conley leaves for greener pastures.

irvinehomeowner said:
What is Rose's salary? That's what the Knicks have to pay.

I think Rose current contract ends next year and they also got rid of the similarly bloated contracts of Calderon and Lopez which is probably close to that of Derrick Rose.

ps9 said:
Draft tonight, hope Ingram is mature enough and not a Bynum headcase

or like D'Angelo

Analysts are saying regarding the video incident. it shows the lack of maturity, attention to detail

Also, who in the right mind tells the press that the GM told him not to worry about trade rumors (somethings are meant to be private)

Do you want to hand off the keys to your franchise someone who is careless?

I don't put it all on D'Angelo. Think of it this way, parents obsessed with their kids will put them in productive situations, like taking them to art class or an organized youth soccer league after school where they're surrounded by discipline, organization, and other sensible kids and parents. If you drop them off at the local arcade to goof off, don't be surprised when they get into some trouble.

On the other hand, the Lakers decided to embark on a youth movement but the adult supervision was Kobe (in his own world), MWP (crazy), Nick Young (immature), and Byron (hates kids).

If D'Angelo was in Minnesota for example and decided to release a video of him talking with a veteran teammate, it probably would have been a very boring video of KG talking basketball fundamentals. Instead he was with Nick Young, talking about chicks, celebrity life, and the other nonsense that Nick Young is involved with. Who's really at fault?

(Incidentally, I did spend too much time at arcades growing up, popping qtrs into Street Fighter II like an addict popping pills. Turned out ok!)

eyephone said:
ps9 said:

or like D'Angelo

Analysts are saying regarding the video incident. it shows the lack of maturity, attention to detail

Also, who in the right mind tells the press that the GM told him not to worry about trade rumors (somethings are meant to be private)

I'm not criticizing his basketball skills. I'm talking about his maturity and judgement skills.

Look at Clarkson, Randle, Nance, A. Brown (I want to say: good characters)

The Veterans last year: Bass, Williams, Huertas, MWP, Kobe
(MWP was a big mentor on the bench)

Nick (call it what you want)

The point is: a person choses who he wants to hang out with, and acts the way he wants to.

I forgot to mention All Star Weekend, that was a disaster. (Clarkson had to tone him down during the interview)

acpme said:
I don't put it all on D'Angelo. Think of it this way, parents obsessed with their kids will put them in productive situations, like taking them to art class or an organized youth soccer league after school where they're surrounded by discipline, organization, and other sensible kids and parents. If you drop them off at the local arcade to goof off, don't be surprised when they get into some trouble.

On the other hand, the Lakers decided to embark on a youth movement but the adult supervision was Kobe (in his own world), MWP (crazy), Nick Young (immature), and Byron (hates kids).

If D'Angelo was in Minnesota for example and decided to release a video of him talking with a veteran teammate, it probably would have been a very boring video of KG talking basketball fundamentals. Instead he was with Nick Young, talking about chicks, celebrity life, and the other nonsense that Nick Young is involved with. Who's really at fault?

(Incidentally, I did spend too much time at arcades growing up, popping qtrs into Street Fighter II like an addict popping pills. Turned out ok!)

eyephone said:
ps9 said:

or like D'Angelo

If the worst thing he did was take a dumb video and let it get out, it's hardly the worst judgment or decision making to come from a 19 yr old, especially one as scrutinized and under pressure as him.

He's no Tim Duncan, but so far he's not any worse than many stars that have come before him. I'd worry more if there's signs of his not being dedicated to improving his game while the off-court issues continue.

Perspective said:
DLo is 19 years old. He, and nearly every other 19 year old is severely immature, by definition.

He seemed very remorseful.  As long as he can mature, I think he'll be good.  When guys have bad attitudes.. it's when the franchise will look to trade him.

jmoney74 said:
Perspective said:
DLo is 19 years old. He, and nearly every other 19 year old is severely immature, by definition.

He seemed very remorseful.  As long as he can mature, I think he'll be good.  When guys have bad attitudes.. it's when the franchise will look to trade him.

Then he did the foot locker commercial. (Throws out the phone)

Back