Montecito - 2010 Woodbury Collection

[quote author="akim997"] (any one who tells you not to claim Mello is an idiot... )[/quote]

Why are they idiots? Technically mello-roos is not a tax. You are paying for capital infrastructure/improvements to the land, it is just debt you agree to pay back when you buy the house.

Now it is my understanding that most/many people deduct it on their taxes.

AMT does suck. Im there as well and would not benefit from a property tax deduction (well, at least for federal taxes).

[quote author="ck"]
[quote author="akim997"]I need to throw down some more hate for Montecito... I am no longer on the list. First, how could they jack the price for plan to from $760K for phase 1 to $778 for phase 2? Second, I looked again and realized the paltry kitchen space with lack of a walk in pantry. The more I looked at the horseshoe shaped plan for the development, the less appealing it looks to me overall. For this much money, I want to walk out my front door to take my dog for a walk, see some grass, walk out to the curb, etc... instead, you are in an allley (motorcourt is a fancy terminology some jackass made up) about 10 feet from your neighbor's front door.

I am no longer considering Montecito. It was hilarious though, I was speaking to the saleslady and commented, "Gee, this whole alley thing kind of bothers me. Why would you put the front door on the alley". Her response was this:

"Well, I see that you haven't read the newest brochure. There was an EXTENSIVE market study conducted, and one of the most important things was people wanted to live on a quiet street and wanted to have privacy. These motorcourts address those needs. You don't want random cars travelling down your street. This way, you know that everyone who travels on the motorcourt is your family or your neighbors. It was purposely done this way. These motorcourts are better that they are this narrow. This discourages people from driving fast on them, so your children will be safe to play there. The whole community was designed to keep what homebuyers wanted in mind. It's purposely designed to have narrow streets and smaller lots"

Can you believe this crock o sh!t? Uhhhh.. yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that you can now fit 6 houses where you would normally fit 3, and still charge $800,000 for them. The more and more I thought about, the more and more I am convinced that Montecito is one big sham.

If living with an alley isn't a problem, there are plenty of homes like this in Irvine. Parking in the rear in the garage, and the front door on the other side. There are tons of houses like this that have 50x the curb appeal of Montecito. The driveway is a token jesture for all the packrats who refuse to park a car in the garage. In my development here, about 10% of homes have 2 cars parked in their garages, and one of them is mine.

[/quote]

With the exception of some BK classics, this might be my favorite post on TI so far. [/quote]

gad943.gif

[quote author="qwerty"]
[quote author="akim997"] (any one who tells you not to claim Mello is an idiot... )[/quote]

Why are they idiots? Technically mello-roos is not a tax. You are paying for capital infrastructure/improvements to the land, it is just debt you agree to pay back when you buy the house.

Now it is my understanding that most/many people deduct it on their taxes.

AMT does suck. Im there as well and would not benefit from a property tax deduction (well, at least for federal taxes).[/quote]

All technicalities aside, most people do claim mello on their returns. I went through a full blown audit as the IRS contested my deduction of MBA tuition as a misc itemized deduction. They picked through every one of my deductions with a fine tooth comb. However, when it came to my property taxes, no questions were asked and yes, I claimed all my Mello...

[quote author="akim997"]If it wasnt for the obscene Mello Roos, I'd be looking at PS as well. I actually timed it, but it took my wife and I 3 minutes to get from Los Arboles to the corner of Sand Canyon and Irvine Blvd. (We almost bought one of the last Los Arboles units). People keep saying PS is "so far out there" but don't realize it's just a hop skip and a jump from Woodbury. The $5K Mello in WB is steep enough, the $6400 in Mello for PS is ridiculous. And yes, I am in the Alternative Minimum Tax, so there is no tax deduction for me... =( (any one who tells you not to claim Mello is an idiot... )[/quote]

Where did you get the $6400 Mello for PS? I looked at one property and it was 2850. With the bond, wich is an extra 3763 so I guess you are counting that.

[quote author="JoonB"]will these motorcourts (alleys) have speed bumps too? just curious.[/quote]

No, they will not - it's too short, anyways! How fast can you go on a motorcourt that only goes down 3 houses?

I think it was on a sheet I received. It had various assessments that I didn't read to closely, but assumed there were different CFDs. I said to the salesman, "So this is the total Mello, he said yes, its about $6000 plus or minus"

[quote author="IACRenter"]
[quote author="miesian"]

Roundcorners-
I am afraid to tell you you may have to start packing then.

The neighbors did not put up much resistance when they found out "detached homes" are being proposed at the site. These 2 magic words IMO veiled the fact that this will be a walled enclave with ONE access alley into it.

A large swath of Great Lawn will become solid wall starting in front of Woodbury elementary. The Wall wraps the block of Regal/ Winding Way/ Great Lawn/ Twin Gables. All proposed 66 Montecito type houses will turn their backs on Woodbury behind a block wall in the heart of the community. No front yards/ landscape-just asphalt drive courts inside. Pear Tree Garden is eliminated. This is contrary to every other existing Woodbury home with direct front door/ yard connection along the street along with proximity to a pocket park.

Maybe most people just don't care about this, and I am being neurotic. Are there any other concerned Woodbury residents out there beyond Roundcorners? Is it worth it to bring it up to the neighbors again? <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( -->

[/quote]

This project is pure greed and a BIG F-YOU from TIC to all current WB owners. It shows they could care less about the original master plan for WB, including pockets parks and front doors with access to the side streets, and community aesthetics.

I am starting to have very low expectations for future PS, OH, and LC developments. Stonegate which is supposed to be a lower end neighborhood and possibly WB South/Planning Area 40 will probably be even worse.[/quote]

miesian... do you sit on the HOA board, or something? How were you invited to this meeting, and no one else knows about this? Don't they have to send letters to all the neighbors, and post signs? I've read some of these minutes from the meetings... seems like they have to vote on just about everything from painting the curbs, parking signs & piss areas for you dogs; I'm sure more people will protest if they get wind of this...

Most families in WB are just too busy working paying off the mortgage, staying afloat and feeding the babies every month to care... they get into their cars, speeding off early to work every morning; come home and close their garage doors fast behind them; you hardly EVER get to meet them, cause they are just EXHAUSTED with the pace of life, just to keep up with their financed, to care about who is building what; and/or they can't read English that well...

this just proves it... just because you buy in Irvine, it doesn't guarantee you have full control over what your neighbor does; and mark my word, this WILL bring down property values all around the area...

this all said, from a WB renter, I walk the neighborhood EVERYDAY and I actually care/appreciate the thoughts process behind every tree, house & path... IAC-Renter is right this is a HUGE F-U to the people who initially invested in the master-plan...

[quote author="roundcorners"]

This project is pure greed and a BIG F-YOU from TIC to all current WB owners. It shows they could care less about the original master plan for WB, including pockets parks and front doors with access to the side streets, and community aesthetics.

I am starting to have very low expectations for future PS, OH, and LC developments. Stonegate which is supposed to be a lower end neighborhood and possibly WB South/Planning Area 40 will probably be even worse.[/quote]

miesian... do you sit on the HOA board, or something? How were you invited to this meeting, and no one else knows about this? Don't they have to send letters to all the neighbors, and post signs? I've read some of these minutes from the meetings... seems like they have to vote on just about everything from painting the curbs, parking signs & piss areas for you dogs; I'm sure more people will protest if they get wind of this...

Most families in WB are just too busy working paying off the mortgage, staying afloat and feeding the babies every month to care... they get into their cars, speeding off early to work every morning; come home and close their garage doors fast behind them; you hardly EVER get to meet them, cause they are just EXHAUSTED with the pace of life, just to keep up with their financed, to care about who is building what; and/or they can't read English that well...

this just proves it... just because you buy in Irvine, it doesn't guarantee you have full control over what your neighbor does; and mark my word, this WILL bring down property values all around the area...

this all said, from a WB renter, I walk the neighborhood EVERYDAY and I actually care/appreciate the thoughts process behind every tree, house & path... IAC-Renter is right this is a HUGE F-U to the people who initially invested in the master-plan...[/quote]

I too spent many hours with my son strolling along the many walkways in WB. It is very nicely planned community, with a good master plan. I understand that the economy tanked and TIC needs to make a buck but come on--adding this development along with the new Montecito/Carmel neighborhoods is contradictory to the original plans.

As a renter it is no biggie for me. But I really hope that WB owners speak their minds at the HOA about this project.

I guess this is the danger of buying in a new or unfinished community. You never know what the final result will be. So as much as I am tempted by PS idyllic mountain location and enjoy analyzing the beautiful master plan maps, in the final execution, things may be a lot different.

"there's going to be plenty of street parking" said the saleslady... haha i'm sure the Carmel residents will love that!

[quote author="akim997"]"there's going to be plenty of street parking" said the saleslady... haha i'm sure the Carmel residents will love that![/quote]
You should have asked her to put some money on that. I swear, those sales folks at these new homes are almost as bad as your typical realturds.

"That's OK, rep on site claims that Montecito is sold out until Phase 3 next year. " From yesterdays astute observations on IHB by woodbury renter.

[quote author="qwerty"]"That's OK, rep on site claims that Montecito is sold out until Phase 3 next year. " From yesterdays astute observations on IHB by woodbury renter.[/quote]

I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean. Phase 3 is the next phase and they are starting it next year???

[quote author="ajw522"]
[quote author="qwerty"]"That's OK, rep on site claims that Montecito is sold out until Phase 3 next year. " From yesterdays astute observations on IHB by woodbury renter.[/quote]

I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean. Phase 3 is the next phase and they are starting it next year???[/quote]

It is unclear to me as well. There was no additional context to determine what he actually meant.

You have it backwards....you don't have parties at your house in the new homes. You have them in the parks! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> There has been a comprehensive study on this.

Well, I do know that if you did not register on the first day, I can guarantee you you won't be able to purchase. Phase 2 is already sold out, and they are only @ 10:05 on the first day <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I bet if someone walked in with 100% cash... they can buy without being registered.[/quote]

Since literally all these cash buyers are walking around with money sacks may be it is time for me to take my weapon out of the freezer.

IHO you should stay away before I accidentally rob you again.

[quote author="ajw522"]Well, I do know that if you did not register on the first day, I can guarantee you you won't be able to purchase. Phase 2 is already sold out, and they are only @ 10:05 on the first day <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->.[/quote]
Is that what the sales reps are telling you?

[quote author="roundcorners"]

this all said, from a WB renter, I walk the neighborhood EVERYDAY and I actually care/appreciate the thoughts process behind every tree, house & path... IAC-Renter is right this is a HUGE F-U to the people who initially invested in the master-plan...[/quote]

I too spent many hours with my son strolling along the many walkways in WB. It is very nicely planned community, with a good master plan. I understand that the economy tanked and TIC needs to make a buck but come on--adding this development along with the new Montecito/Carmel neighborhoods is contradictory to the original plans.

As a renter it is no biggie for me. But I really hope that WB owners speak their minds at the HOA about this project.

I guess this is the danger of buying in a new or unfinished community. You never know what the final result will be. So as much as I am tempted by PS idyllic mountain location and enjoy analyzing the beautiful master plan maps, in the final execution, things may be a lot different.[/quote]

Hence the reason why I wouldn't buy in Woodbury. They are building a lot and would only lower existing prices. But just my opinion. It will also cause more traffic down Jeffrey and Sand Canyon for existing residents.

Back