Mimi Walters - CA45 Rep missing in action?

2018 will be interesting to see how many seats go from frying pan to fire.

So will probably switch sides, but suspect most seats that change will flip from a radical right to a radical left.

it'll be interesting to see if the challenger to Mimi is more blue dog democrat or hard core liberal.

Since you created this thread regarding Mimi Waters and you have her picture as your sn avatar on TI.

Are you going to the town hall meeting?

i1 said:
Has anyone met Mimi Walters at community events, town halls or been able to get useful info from her staff?

I've lived in a bunch of districts over the years (both R and D) and generally at least the staff is accessible.

Her social media presence is amusing too. Very tone deaf to her constituents. Anyway, curious if anyone else has had experience with her?

Also, have seen some stories about abuse in a couple biz she used to own. Basically taking millions in CA tax payer dollars, ripping off her contractors and then shutting down the biz (kind of like Trump)? She then hired a chief of staff who had to resign last year due to federal corruption charges.

I thought it was a phone conference with pre-screened questions only; not a town hall meeting in the traditional sense.

eyephone said:
Since you created this thread regarding Mimi Waters and you have her picture as your sn avatar on TI.

i1 said:
Has anyone met Mimi Walters at community events, town halls or been able to get useful info from her staff?

I've lived in a bunch of districts over the years (both R and D) and generally at least the staff is accessible.

Her social media presence is amusing too. Very tone deaf to her constituents. Anyway, curious if anyone else has had experience with her?

Also, have seen some stories about abuse in a couple biz she used to own. Basically taking millions in CA tax payer dollars, ripping off her contractors and then shutting down the biz (kind of like Trump)? She then hired a chief of staff who had to resign last year due to federal corruption charges.

The website says May 1st for the tele town hall meeting.
The event already passed?

peppy said:
I thought it was a phone conference with pre-screened questions only; not a town hall meeting in the traditional sense.

eyephone said:

i1 said:

Last week was the telephone call. Questions were pre-screened, no opportunity to follow up or interact and it sounded like she was reading answers off of a script.

Tonight is a town hall (with or without Mimi) at the Northwood High gym. If Mimi doesn't attend, other experts will help talk about her views and positions.

i1 said:
Last week was the telephone call. Questions were pre-screened, no opportunity to follow up or interact and it sounded like she was reading answers off of a script.

Tonight is a town hall (with or without Mimi) at the Northwood High gym. If Mimi doesn't attend, other experts will help talk about her views and positions.

How is it a town hall if she doesn't show up? (So she didn't commit to attend?)

i1 said:

Any news?

eyephone said:
i1 said:

Any news?

Here are highlights from the town hall.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...rep-mimi-walters-to-1494384486-htmlstory.html

I just got a flier from her yesterday. She was trying to justify her vote on the Trump tax reform law. All this did was remind me to vote against her in the next election.

New here to TalkIrvine.  I came here from the 39th District (Buena Park/Fullerton), which was also perennially Republican.  We had Ed Royce who was Chairman of the Foreign Relations committee.  He was also very involved in the Asian Community there. 

Buena Park/Fullerton is also very similar to Irvine in that the demographics are changing and Asians are becoming a voting majority.  That's why Ed made very specific outreaches to Asian American voters in his district, discovered what they really wanted and cared about and earned their votes to keep the 39th district red.  A visible and active Congressman that made his district felt not only important, but also heard. 

This Mimi lady is the polar opposite.  She's freak'in lazy in my book.  Also, she's relying on the older white voters (but doing a terrible job at it) and totally ignoring the demographic explosion of Asian voters in her district.  Someday a hot young Asian Democrat is gonna run against her, leverage the full weight of the demographic change in the district she's totally oblivious to, and turn the 45th blue.

I've sent several emails to her office about showing more face time, especially to the Asian American community.  They will vote Republican if they think the Republican party cares about them.  Believe me, I know as I've seen the transformation in the 39th district.  But, Mimi and her staff have totally ignored my emails.  It's sad.  Why do we have to even settle for her?  She's a lazy Rep in my book.

Full disclosure.  I am a Korean American home owner living in University Park.  I am registered Republican.  I moved in a little over two years ago.  Again, first time TalkIrvine commenter.

SoCal21st said:
New here to TalkIrvine.  I came here from the 39th District (Buena Park/Fullerton), which was also perennially Republican.  We had Ed Royce who was Chairman of the Foreign Relations committee.  He was also very involved in the Asian Community there. 

Buena Park/Fullerton is also very similar to Irvine in that the demographics are changing and Asians are becoming a voting majority.  That's why Ed made very specific outreaches to Asian American voters in his district, discovered what they really wanted and cared about and earned their votes to keep the 39th district red.  A visible and active Congressman that made his district felt not only important, but also heard. 

This Mimi lady is the polar opposite.  She's freak'in lazy in my book.  Also, she's relying on the older white voters (but doing a terrible job at it) and totally ignoring the demographic explosion of Asian voters in her district.  Someday a hot young Asian Democrat is gonna run against her, leverage the full weight of the demographic change in the district she's totally oblivious to, and turn the 45th blue.

I've sent several emails to her office about showing more face time, especially to the Asian American community.  They will vote Republican if they think the Republican party cares about them.  Believe me, I know as I've seen the transformation in the 39th district.  But, Mimi and her staff have totally ignored my emails.  It's sad.  Why do we have to even settle for her?  She's a lazy Rep in my book.

Full disclosure.  I am a Korean American home owner living in University Park.  I am registered Republican.  I moved in a little over two years ago.  Again, first time TalkIrvine commenter.

New, so I guess you didn't get the memo....  It is an established prophecy on this forum that older white repubs will save the day in the midterms.  no one else matters :)

Back