Midterm Elections

morekaos said:
To say the Repubs are overconfident is ridiculous.  They are already talking as if they are the minority.  It's my job to be right consistently and for over 30 years of doing what i do, I have been.  If I were only right once, I wouldn't have a job.  I will be right about this too.

Look at the beginning of the thread. See how many senior republicans are retiring.

eyephone said:
morekaos said:
To say the Repubs are overconfident is ridiculous.  They are already talking as if they are the minority.  It's my job to be right consistently and for over 30 years of doing what i do, I have been.  If I were only right once, I wouldn't have a job.  I will be right about this too.

Look at the beginning of the thread. See how many senior republicans are retiring.

Establishment stooges that don't want to embrace Trump are retiring.  This is a good thing.

I see that. Most of those guys are tired, useless, old guard. Unwilling to fight anymore.  They need to be replaced. Interestingly if the Dems run anyone they will be moving significantly to the right. Look at Lamb, if you took a gander at his platform you would have thought he was a Repub.  He is so right on gun control, tariffs, regulation and taxes he could have been endorsed by Trump.  He even said he looked forward to working WITH Trump.  If thats what the Dems have to do to win, I'm all for it, maybe they  have seen the light.

Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:
morekaos said:

Establishment stooges that don't want to embrace Trump are retiring.  This is a good thing.

Nah nah, they voted for his tax cuts and defended his policies. (An exception is Jeff Flake, but he?s a nice guy. The rest sees the writing on he wall)

morekaos said:
I see that. Most of those guys are tired, useless, old guard. Unwilling to fight anymore.  They need to be replaced. Interestingly if the Dems run anyone they will be moving significantly to the right. Look at Lamb, if you took a gander at his platform you would have thought he was a Repub.  He is so right on gun control, tariffs, regulation and taxes he could have been endorsed by Trump.  He even said he looked forward to working WITH Trump.  If thats what the Dems have to do to win, I'm all for it, maybe they  have seen the light.

Yes on and gun control and tariffs (which quite a few Dems agree with).  But absolutely not on taxes: 

Lamb reiterated his opposition. While the Democrat said he favors more pay and lower taxes for the middle class, he criticized the tax cuts for adding $1.5 trillion to the national debt.

?We didn?t need to add a penny to our debt to have the tax cut for our working and middle-class people,? said Lamb, who described the GOP plan as a ?giveaway? to the top 1 percent of income-earners and large corporations.
http://wesa.fm/post/lamb-and-saccone-clash-over-tax-cuts-not-guns-first-debate

eyephone said:
Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:
morekaos said:

Nah nah, they voted for his tax cuts and defended his policies. (An exception is Jeff Flake, but he?s a nice guy. The rest sees the writing on he wall)

If you are unwilling to embrace Trump as a candidate, you will not win.  That is why they are retiring.

morekaos said:
If thats what the Dems have to do to win, I'm all for it, maybe they  have seen the light.

god%2Bemperor.jpg

eyephone said:
Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:
Look what it did to Roy Moore and Saccone.
(Epic fill in the blank)

Yep, neither of whom embraced Trump's politics.

Yeah they did. Are you joking?

You clearly are uninformed.  The Republican primary in Alabama had three candidates running:

1. Luther Strange
2. Roy Moore
3. Mo Brooks

Mo Brooks was the tea party conservative running in the race, and Mitch McConnell was so afraid of him winning that he poured $8 million into the primary to defeat him, which worked.  The assumption by McConnell was that the voters in Alabama would never nominate Roy Moore because his negatives with Republicans in polling were too high.  Therefore, he spent no money on opposing Roy Moore.

Well, the problem with Luther Strange is that he was appointed by a governor facing a corruption scandal, and he was Mitch McConnell's golden boy in the race.  Alabamians didn't like a DC swamp creature like McConnell interfering in their state politics, so they nominated Roy Moore as a big "F You!" to McConnell.  Roy Moore's entire career has been devoted to turning the US into a Christian theocracy.  He's not Trumpian in any sense of the word, which is why Trump endorsed Luther Strange in the runoff election.

If Mo Brooks had been facing Luther Strange, I suspect Trump would have endorsed him instead.  Of course, once Roy Moore became the (R) candidate, Trump endorsed him over the Democrat, but it wasn't who he wanted to see in that seat.

Here is more if you are interested:

Mitch McConnell Is The Reason Doug Jones Is A Senatorhttp://thefederalist.com/2017/12/12/mitch-mcconnell-is-the-reason-doug-jones-is-a-senator/

eyephone said:
Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:
Look what it did to Roy Moore and Saccone.
(Epic fill in the blank)

Yep, neither of whom embraced Trump's politics.

This doesn?t work.

Steel union looks to flip Pennsylvania's 18th District

Trump won in this district in part because of his tough talk on trade. The 18th is the heart of steel country where nearly everyone knows someone who worked in the industry.

But it doesn't appear from speaking with union leaders and members here that Trump's popular move will necessarily translate to increased support for his chosen candidate, Saccone.

Tim Waters, the political director for the United Steelworkers Union, "We applaud the President for what he did and for drawing a line in the sand. It's what he said he was going to do and it needs to be done. This is not a political issue."

The steelworkers union has been joined by members from the teachers, hotel, and postal workers unions in getting out the vote for Lamb. Together they have 80,000 union members in the 18th District, which translates to that many potential voters.

Soon after Lamb announced his candidacy, he met with labor unions and visited local steel mills and processing facilities. Lamb opposes so-called "right-to-work" laws, which prevent unions from mandating dues payments from members they represent.

"Rick Saccone was endorsed wholeheartedly by the right-to-work committee and would probably do away with unions if he could," Waters said.

Someone who still has sway in southwest Pennsylvania -- Donald Trump. He drew a packed crowd to his rally with Saccone on Saturday, with some supporters having to be turned away.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/12/politics/steel-workers-pa-18/index.html

Both Lamb and Saccone were nearly identical on a host of issues.  The one major area of disagreement was Lamb unequivocally supports unions and Saccone says one thing but does another.  That is a major break from Trump's agenda that has mostly helped unions.  It's almost as if PA-18 wanted to elect Saccone, but just could not get over his anti-union views.  Bummer.

it is pretty obvious that had the repub won , we would be talking about how his embrace of trump was instrumental in his win

Liar Loan said:
Both Lamb and Saccone were nearly identical on a host of issues.  The one major area of disagreement was Lamb unequivocally supports unions and Saccone says one thing but does another.  That is a major break from Trump's agenda that has mostly helped unions.  It's almost as if PA-18 wanted to elect Saccone, but just could not get over his anti-union views.  Bummer.

?Conor Lamb better reflected voters? health-care views, an exit poll found.

Republicans? efforts to gut Obamacare may have backfired on them in Pennsylvania, where Democrat Conor Lamb is hanging on to a thin lead in the special election for a U.S. House seat.

One apparent factor for Lamb?s performance in the district that President Donald Trump carried by 20 points in 2016 was the former marine?s call to make the 2010 law better, not repeal it. That?s what Lamb?s GOP opponent Rick Saccone wants.

But throwing out the law isn?t what the western Pennsylvania district?s voters want, according to a survey released Wednesday by Public Policy Polling. Overall, 44% of voters said they supported Obamacare ? formally known as the Affordable Care Act ? while 42% oppose it. And voters disapproved of the GOP efforts to repeal Obamacare by 14 points.?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/926A95F4-278F-11E8-90A1-5769A4464477

Liar Loan said:

Yes...so similar:

Conor Lamb

Health care: Lamb criticized the GOP attempt to repeal Obamacare and called for bipartisan efforts to stabilize its markets. "I'll work with anyone from either party who wants to help people with pre-existing conditions, improve the quality of care, and reduce premiums, out-of-pocket costs, and prescription drug prices," he says on his campaign website.

Taxes: He called the GOP tax bill a "giveaway" to wealthy Americans and said he supports cuts for the middle class. "We didn't need to add a penny to our debt to have the tax cut for our working and middle-class people," Lamb said in a debate.

Gun control: He's called for a stronger system of background checks but no new gun restrictions. "I believe we have a pretty good law on the books and it says on paper that there are a lot of people who should never get guns in their hands," Lamb said.

Tariffs: He supports President Donald Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs, saying at a debate that "we have to take some action to level the playing field."

Abortion: Lamb personally opposes abortion but backs the Supreme Court's decision legalizing it. "Once you make something a right, it's a right. And it's like that for a reason," he told HuffPost. Lamb told the Weekly Standard he doesn't support a ban on abortion at 20 weeks.

Rick Saccone

Health care: He says he wants to repeal Obamacare and his campaign website calls for utilizing "free-market principles to fix our health care crisis."

Taxes: Backed the GOP tax bill. "It's not the 'crumbs' that Nancy Pelosi and her crew on the left say," Saccone said in a debate. "These people are very happy to have the bonuses that they received."

Gun control: Saccone has an A+ rating from the National Rifle Association and has opposed new gun restrictions.

Tariffs: In a statement, his campaign said if tariffs are necessary "to protect steel and aluminum jobs in Southwestern Pennsylvania, Rick would support those measures."

Abortion: Saccone opposes abortion rights and touts the endorsement of National Right to Life and other anti-abortion groups.
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/po...eel-tariffs-negative-ads/stories/201803030107

If I wasn?t here. The half truths will be on TI.
Lamb is the same as Saccone. Think again..

Just remember I have a High IQ. ;)

fortune11 said:
it is pretty obvious that had the repub won , we would be talking about how his embrace of trump was instrumental in his win

I agree that Rick Saccone embraced Trumpian politics much more than Roy Moore did, but the key to Trump's win in Pennsylvania and other rust belt states was to emphasize protecting working class jobs.  This was something Saccone failed to do adequately.  Right-to-work is code for busting unions and lowering workers' wages.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

I agree that Rick Saccone embraced Trumpian politics much more than Roy Moore did, but the key to Trump's win in Pennsylvania and other rust belt states was to emphasize protecting working class jobs.  This was something Saccone failed to do adequately.  Right-to-work is code for busting unions and lowering workers' wages.

Nah Trump won in 2016 based upon false hopes and promise.  A year later...people see through it.

Back