Microwaved Food Can Give You Cancer

<p>Have you actually ever worked with the FDA blackacre? If you had you would realize that they simply don't rubber stamp anything. Not to say there are not areas for improvement - but the drugs approved by the FDA go through quite a process to protect the public.</p>

<p>And, one of the reasons they may end up with positions with the same companies they approve drugs for is that there are only limited of number people with enough smarts and knowledge to do what they do.</p>

<p><em>Trooper, how do you know that this Urban Legends Pages weren't funded by Coca-cola? :)) How can you be so trusting? :)</em></p>

<p>I got the link from <a href="http://www.snopes.com">www.snopes.com</a> It's a "myth de-bunker" site. </p>

<p>I would bet the farm that there is no cocaine in Coke. </p>

<p>Allergy doc makes a good point about orange juice. It is very acidic. Citrus plans have the some corrosion problem as coke plants. Also. Eating the fruit is one thing, but it also has loads of sugar along with the good stuff. So, along with not drinking coke--maybe once a month or so, I drink no fruit juices.</p>

<p>Awgee-ice cream makes you fat ONLY if you don't microwave it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>LM, you can get the same euphoric effects (albeit in smaller doses) just by chewing coca leaves. It doesn't have to be in powder form to pack a punch.</p>

<p>The poor people who pick the leaves for the harvest are all coca addicted. They get paid a tiny amount, but are allowed to chew as many leaves they want a day. All their teeth are rotting out of their heads.... </p>

<p>Trooper: that's really funny, b/c I do believe that Oswald did not shoot JFK :)) Oh, I'd never swear by my mom's health or heart. I am superstitious...</p>

<p>Movingaround: no, I've not had the pleasure of dealing with the FDA. Just one example: they did approve Vioxx. If I were ever to say that the FDA is doing something useful, next thing I'd say would be that Bush is an intellectual :))</p>

<p>Lawyerliz: words of wisdom! orange juice is too acidy, and nobody should drink fruit juices b/c it causes your teeth to rot, since they are being exposed to sugar for too long. Even drinking milk is dangerous for teeth, especially baby's teeth, so i brush my toddler's teeth every time he drinks his glass of milk. I don't know if this will work, but at least I'd be able to tell him I tried to save his teeth...Oh, and every time people call me obsessive-compulsive, it sounds like a compliment to me :))</p>

How I know there is white cane sugar in Coke by no_vaseline

When I took business law as a junior in college, there was a case study where Coca Cola Bottlers sued Coca Cola for the right to use high fructose corn suyrp instead of sugar. The bottlers wanted to use the HFCS because it was cheaper and fattened thier margins - plus, nobody could tell the difference. Pepsi already had and this kept Coca Cola at a cost disadvantage. Coca Cola held that no, in fact, you could tell, and the Bottlers as franchesees needed to use the factory formula.

The Judge held the bottlers were right, and we've had HFCS Coca Cola ever sense in the USA. But MEXICAN Coca Cola is still made under the old recipe.

I discovered this on accident one day eating in a dive Mexican taco stand buried behind some random grocery store in a small farming town north of Bakersfield. I got three carnitas tacos and a bottled coke with "Hecho in Mexico" on the side. I always heard "don't drink the water" so I figured the soda and beer were fair game. Anyway, from the first sip it was exactly like that scene in Ratatuue when the food critic was seven years old all over again - it tasted great, and I felt refreshed and satisfied at the end of it - as opposed to it's USA counterpart, where I feel like somebody dipped my tounge in honey and I crave three more.

Years of wine tasting applied to conventional sodas. Who'd of known. Anymore, I drink Diet Coke so it really doesn't matter, but it's a rare delicacy when I get the real deal.

Thanks for the tip on the yellow tops.

<p>Here you go, secrets to a longer life. Now, whether or not you want a longer life is up to you.</p>

<p><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080108/hl_nm/longevity_lifestyle_dc">news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080108/hl_nm/longevity_lifestyle_dc</a></p>

<p>IR: I disagree, I would say that the skin/fat on chicken wings (lemon/lime flavor-extra crispy) is the best testing piece of flesh. Not only does it clog your heart, it can give you cancer. . .but it is so good (this is why I stay away for chicken wings, because once I start. . .)</p>

<p>BTW: Here is another example of whether perception is not reality. Many parents were convinced that thimerosal was the cause of autism and did not want to give their kids shots. Now, two separate studies have disproven the link between autism and thimerosal but that does not stop conspiracy theorists to continue to propound their claims. Go to Africa and see if immunity shots have helped or hurt people. </p>

<p><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080107/hl_hsn/studycastsdoubtonvaccineautismlink">news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080107/hl_hsn/studycastsdoubtonvaccineautismlink</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/immunizations/vaccines_and_autism.html">www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/immunizations/vaccines_and_autism.html</a></p>

<p><a href="http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/thimerosal.php">www.nationalautismassociation.org/thimerosal.php</a> (classic conspiracy argument: It kinda of looks like a duck and kinda of sound like a duck so it must be a duck. It is no different than saying, the sun is hot, my heater is hot, the sun is in my heater.) </p>

<p><a href="http://www.safeminds.org/">www.safeminds.org/</a> (Rather than saying that thimerosal is not related to autism, the attack has now been changed to "well, it could be part of the problem". Of course, everything/anything could be part of the problem.)</p>

<p>I would rather be ashes than dust.</p>

<p>I would rather be a blazing meteor than a lifeless and sleepy planet.</p>

<p>I would rather my spark of life burn out in a blaze rather than be stifiled by dry rot.</p>

<p>The proper function of man is to live-not to exist.</p>

<p>I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them</p>

<p>I will use my time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jack London</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nothing more needs to be said.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oh, IrvineCommuter - did you have to bring up the autism/vaccine debate! </p>

<p>I second what you said with emphasis: <strong>"Go to Africa and see if immunity shots have helped or hurt people"</strong></p>

<p>at least now I know how to identify myself: a conspiracy theorist and proud of it! :)</p>

<p>ok, I'll bite. about autism study: too little time has passed since 2001 when thimerosal was discontinued, since autism is not that easy to diagnose (modernly, around 18 m to 3 years are the earliest cases), but many cases of autism go undiagnosed until adulthood. for instance, did you know that people who like to tell stories monotonously and speak in that fashion might be autistic? people who are awesome with numbers and math in general? people with generally impaired social skills? </p>

<p>besides, is there any other plausible explantion of autism? genetic theory doesn't appeal to me, b/c the rate of autism has consistently risen (if it were genetic, it would increase proportionally to a number of children an average family has, with affected genes passing to the children, not at the current high rate). </p>

<p>pork fat-yikes, chicken skin-awesome but unhealthy (i still eat it though, a guilty pleasure)</p>

another plausible explanation - part of the reason the rate of autism has consistently risen is that we are diagnosing it more efficiently and much more liberally - I personally can see much more liberal diagnosis than a short 10 years ago.

<p>Blackacre,</p>

<p>Not to pick on you but I am going to :)</p>

<p>1) The main finding in the study is that the rate of autism increased even after thimerosal was discontinued from use in vaccine. If there was a direct link between thimerosal and autism, the levels of autism should not have increased. The study does not depend upon the lack of reporting rather that there was an increase level of autism reported after the alleged cause was removed. Thus, thimerasol cannot be a major cause of the autism.</p>

<p>2) Anecdotal evidence (i.e. stories told by one person to another) is great for wild claims but definitely not scientific. People who are "harmed" are almost always more vocal then those who are not harmed. Thus, one would almost always only hear about the bad, not the good. For example, cancer clusters caused by EMF. No scientific evidence whatsoever but there was a huge outcry from cancer sufferers who were convinced that they lived in a cancer cluster caused by power lines. However, this was not scientific valid because only the people who suffered cancer and lived near power lines spoke up. People who lived near power lines and do not have cancer say nothing. In fact, randomness dictates that there would be "clusters" but that does not really mean anything. </p>

<p><a href="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9907E7D8163AF935A15755C0A9659C8B63&sec=health">query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html</a></p>

<p>3) The problem with conspiracy theorists is that they manipulate the means to get to the ends. They have a specific goal/conclusion in mind and then take suspect/non-existent facts to back up their statements. That is the opposite of science where the means dictate the ends. You make a hypothesis but then do a real test to check the validity of that "educated guess". You do not let your hypothesis dictate your test. You can learn just as much if your theory was disapproved than if it was validate. </p>

<p>4) "besides, is there any other plausible explantion of autism? genetic theory doesn't appeal to me, b/c the rate of autism has consistently risen." </p>

<p> First, just because we have not found the cause to autism does not mean we should cling to one that is untrue. Just because most people in the 15th century believed that the Sun orbits around the Earth does not mean it is true. Second, there has been studies done showing a genetic link between autism and genes. However, that does not eliminate an environmental factor (i.e. allergies are genetically based but are only triggered by an exposure to particular allergens). Third, movingaround is right. THere has been an increase in reporting because people are more alert (maybe oversensitive) to it thus leading to more diagnosis. Look at depression rates, are people more depressed now than 50 years ago? Probably not .. . but we certainly use more prozac.</p>

<p>5) Perception is usually not reality...especially in science. People believe a number of things that are not true. For example:</p>

<p> a) Cold temperature/being wet do not increase your chance of getting a cold/flu. Hypotherthemia yes, cold and flu no.</p>

<p> <a href="http://www.harvardhealthcontent.com/health-news-reviews/vitamin-c-and-colds.php">www.harvardhealthcontent.com/health-news-reviews/vitamin-c-and-colds.php</a></p>

<p> b) There is no such thing as a "sugar high": </p>

<p> <a href="http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/sugarhigh.html">amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/sugarhigh.html</a>; <a href="http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/2002/02/mm_debunkingthe.html">www.dukenews.duke.edu/2002/02/mm_debunkingthe.html</a></p>

<p> Now, are you going to believe either one of those? It is up to you. . .most people still do not.</p>

<p>Irvine Commuter: i guess one of my personality trait is to be suspicious of any claim and try to evaluate both sides before coming to a particular conclusion. The actual increase of the autism rate after discontinuance of the vaccine can be explained by a more effective diagnosing (as moving around correctedly pointed out). I'm not 100% for the thimerosal theory, but I guess I do accept some nonscientific evidence (like stories about normal kids transforming overnight after getting a thimerosal-containing vaccine, just check several current lawsuits). </p>

<p>on your #5: exposure to cold does not by itself increase your chances of catching a cold (which is essentially a virus). However, I think it does put an additional stress on your immune system already exposed to a virus. Why does the cold/flu season never occurs in the summer and always during the cold times? Less sun, less fruit and veggies consumption during the winter times (outside of Cal. of course) are also might be a factor. </p>

<p>sugar high-the explanation suggested in the links you provided does seem plausible to me. I still don't think kids should eat candy or processed sugar (mainly b/c of 0 nutritional value & dental problems that follow). </p>

<p>as a conspiracy theorist, I honestly don't have a specific goal. I don't even try (as it might appear) to persuade people to accept my point of view. I just put it out there, sharing my thoughts on these issues and enjoy the debate :)</p>

<p> </p>

Back