Microwaved Food Can Give You Cancer

<p>I have heard about the cleanliness hypothesis regarding food allergies - although quite honestly never so nicely and succintly as you put it fair economist! I am not arguing its merits because I do believe it - however, it is hard to take that theory and understand how an individul person gets food allergies. My house is clean - but definetely not overclean - I certainly didn't keep my daughter inside locked up for her first year of life - and as I mentioned before she certainly didn't drink any coca cola or pesticides as I made all her food from fresh organic during her first year - and I nursed forever. We do have a hereditary issue with nuts - her grandfather - but with her other allergy - eggs - no heredity issues at all. </p>

<p>I have heard the high fructoses corn syrup arguments as well and am trying to cut it from our diet - it is VERY difficult to find bread without high fructose corn syrup!!</p>

"There is a theory that the reason we have so many food allergies is that our houses are too clean. Allergies are based on the IgE system, which is primarily an antiparasite system. Parasites often have systems to trick the immune system, so the IgE system looks really hard to find something to attack. Apparently in some people if there are no parasites the IgE will still find something to attack and you get an allergy. It makes sense, because for about 400 million years our ancestors always had intestinal parasites and only in the last century have we gotten things clean enough to get rid of them."

Although it is true that many parts of the immune system that can be overactive in allergy sufferers are also what are active against parasites, we don't fully know exactly what the IgE system is designed for, so I wouldn't say that IgE is an "antiparasite system".

The "hygiene hypothesis" is the theory you are referring to and it actually does not specifically have anything to do with parasites, whether they are intestinal or not. The hygiene hypothesis was formulated because it has long been known that urban dwellers have a higher incidence of allergy as compared to rural dwellers (specifically, people who grew up on farms). It is believed that infections at a younger age or at least exposure to certain bacterial toxins does reduce the risk of developing allergies. The theory is that if the immune system is not given something to do at a young age while it is developing, it could develop an aversion to things that it doesn't really need to fight (i.e. dust, cat dander, pollens, foods, etc.).

Now, all of this is still just a theory, and there is conflicting data, for example, on what having pets in the home does to your risk of developing allergy as an infant, so I wouldn't go around giving your children infections or parasites in their cereal. :)

"We do have a hereditary issue with nuts - her grandfather - but with her other allergy - eggs - no heredity issues at all."

People do not inherit allergies to specific things (like nuts, eggs, or cats), but they do inherit the *risk* for allergies. In other words, the more relatives you have that have allergies at all, the more likely you will have allergies; however, what you are allergic to may not have anything to do with what your relatives are allergic to. It is the trait to *be* allergic that is inherited, not the actual things that other members of your family were allergic to per se.

One curious thing that I've noticed in my past practice, and something that was shown to be true in at least one published study I read, was that if your *spouse* is allergic, you have an increased chance of complaining of allergies *after* being married to them. There is no medical explanation for why that would be. I have my own theories. :D

<p>I have never before that it was not what you were allergic to but simply being allergic that was the inherited trait. Do you know if that spans both food and environmental allergies (i.e., trees, grass, etc) i.e., just having the heredity for environmental allergies is enough to stimulate a food allergy with the right other stimuli - whatever that might be!</p>

<p>Coca-cola contains phosphoric acid, you know. Is it smth you would want to consume? Hey, let's go get us a bottle of phosphoric acid, it tastes great! Back in Russia, a friend of mine was a director of a Coca-cola plant, and he confided that they have to replace the pipes very often due to corrosion caused by Coca-cola. And those were made from steel...He never drank Coca-cola, as you might imagine :)) And if you like it, it is understandable: it is made of coke leaves, which are addictive :))</p>

<p>I think the cleanliness argument has some merit to it...Every time i see some little kids walking barefoot on the public restroom floor, I think to myself: "they never get sick." My second thought is always "what kind of parent would let their kids do that?"</p>

<p>About allergies: Growing up, we did not have carpeted floor, but we did have area rugs and even some on the walls (it is warmer this way), and I assume there were dust mites as well...I guess American dust mites are tougher :))</p>

<p> </p>

It does span all allergies.

Food allergies are much less common (especially in adults) than is perceived in the general public. Most of what people call "food allergies" are probably better called "food intolerances"; the most common would be dairy products. Many people lack or do not have enough of the enzyme that digests dairy sugars in the gut and end up with GI problems (bloating, pain, diarrhea, gas, etc) when they eat some or all dairy products. This is not an allergy the way an allergist would define it.

The classic true food allergy would be peanut (not a true nut, by the way, actually a bean), which in patients who are allergic to them, induces a sudden and violent reaction that can unfortunately be life-threatening.

<p>allergy dr - making that distinction to friends and family is one of the hard things for parents of food allergy children - many people aren't aware of the difference between intolerance - which leads to discomfort - and serious allergic reaction - which can lead to death if not handled correctly!</p>

<p>Black-acre seeker - you are one tough cookie! If you are really serious about growing plants on your patio I suggest you check out the earthbox <a href="http://www.earthbox.com/">http://www.earthbox.com/</a>. You only add fertilizer once when you plant and there is a water trough in the bottom of the box that you fill with water through a tube - the plants then suck up the water as needed which keeps them watered on a more regular basis without you having to constantly be checking them. I actually did have to fill up the trough once a day but we were in a much hotter environment. My cherry tomatoes really turned out great - I had some in regular pots too that same summer - they didn't do very well at all.</p>

"Coca-cola contains phosphoric acid, you know. Is it smth you would want to consume?"

Um, and oranges contain citric and ascorbic acid. Do you drink orange juice? My point is, the amount of phosphoric acid in Coca-Cola is miniscule.

"they have to replace the pipes very often due to corrosion caused by Coca-cola"

This is an urban legend. Coca-Cola is no more corrosive that many other commonly found household liquids. Including orange juice.

"And if you like it, it is understandable: it is made of coke leaves, which are addictive"

Coca-Cola has not contained narcotics for over a hundred years.

Where the heck do you get this stuff blackacre? :p

<p>from my head :))</p>

<p>While citric & ascorbic acids are naturally occurring, phosphoric acid isn't. The miniscule amount adds up, if you consume a lot of it. I've been meaning to do an experiment my friend was suggesting: put some nails in a coca-cola bottle and wait for a couple of weeks to see what happens to them. Well, one day I'll have time for that.</p>

<p>Urban legend or not, but I was talking to one of our legal secretaries the other day (she is in her late 40s) and I was trying to convert her to not drinking coke and she said that she was drinking lots of it when she was young and had several kidney infections. Somebody told her that coke was a factor, she stopped drinking it, and hadn't never had a kidney problem ever since... </p>

<p>How do you know what coca-cola contains? they don't disclose their recipe :))</p>

@# no_vaseline

From around March to May you can find sugar cane Coke in most supermarket stores, thanks to Passover. Aluminum cans are hard to spot, but for the 2 liter Coke look for the yellow caps, they should have the Kosher symbol on them. The ingredients should also say cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

I never claimed drinking Coca-Cola was *healthy*. :)

While it is true their "complete" recipe is a trade secret, most of it is known. It is widely believed that the Pepsi company either obtained the entire recipe (illegally) or completely reverse-engineered it as well. Anyway, Coca-Cola has been run through mass spectometers looking for narcotics before and there is none anymore.

According to the company, since 1904 they have used coca leaves that do not contain narcotics. As a trivia point, the Coca-Cola company is the only in the country that is allowed to import coca leaves.

While you may be able to dissolve a nail in Coca-Cola, you would also be able to in any low-pH solution, given enough time. Try some vinegar, or, again, a glass of orange juice.

Again, its not that I'm saying Coca-Cola is good for you as it does contain huge amounts of sugar and also large amounts of caffeine. Currently the FDA believes that the additives/preservatives/coloring agents used in Coke (and in many other processed foods) are safe.

Oh for goodness sakes blackacre.... read this. Cocaine was indeed an ingredient in Coca-Cola back in the late 1800's, and the reason why it was named "coca" cola.... But it hasn't been part of Coca-Cola for almost 80 years now. <a href="http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp">Urban Legends Reference Pages: Cocaine in Coca-Cola</a>

<p>oh puh-lease, FDA is bunch of idiots... most of them take positions at the exactly same companies they purported to "regulate" while at the FDA...How can you trust this people with your health?</p>

<p>Trooper, how do you know that this Urban Legends Pages weren't funded by Coca-cola? :)) How can you be so trusting? :)</p>

blackacre seeker's other beliefs:

1) NASA staged the moon landings

2) Two, if not three shooters were involved in the JFK assassination

3) Pop Rocks, when combined with soda (especially Coca-Cola) and swallowed, will cause your stomach to explode

4) If you step on a crack, you will cause your mother to suffer a vertebral fracture

:)

Allergy dr:

The only adaptive response I'm aware of that IgE is involved in is parasite response, and it's very important for that:http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/full/172/2/1139#R8So I feel comfortable describing it as an "antiparasite system" I'm not an expert and would appreciate references to other beneficial functions of the IgE system.

There are certainly older hygiene theories, but the parasite theories are a relatively new and specific one, currently being tested with hookworms after beneficial results in a small safety trial:http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/sep/15/healthandwellbeing

What I meant with my comment is that IgE's role in the human immune system is poorly understood as is much of the immune system in general. IgE is obviously involved in allergy and also is activated during parasitic infections, especially intestinal ones. However, the immune system is so complex, I wouldn't characterize IgE as an "antiparasite system" just as I wouldn't characterize IgG as an "antibacterial system". I guess I'm just a stickler for things like that.

You, of course, are free to call it whatever you like.

Back