Microwaved Food Can Give You Cancer

<p>I just had the bestest grapefruit. Picked from the tree this morning Hardly sour at all.</p>

<p>A bit black speckled from mold and bird poop, which I mostly washed off. People at my ofc complex fight for my bags of fruit. All my sec'y's relatvies want to know if she has more.</p>

<p>I just planted some coriander/cilantro. Seeds. usually I buy baby plants from Home Depot.</p>

<p>Most Americans don't know what real food tastes like. It's why they succumb to places like McDonald's.</p>

<p>I hope at least my free range chicken didn't have any hormones/antibiotics.</p>

<p> </p>

The table fruit thing isn't quite true "Indian River" fruit is bagged and sent out for non-juice purposes. Indian River doesn't just refer to the county, but the Indian River. Merritt Island is between the Indian and Banana Rivers. There are citrus groves run in the Space Center, as well as the bird and animal refuges.

<p>On a dollars of citrus grown in the state, juice rules all in Florida. And I shouldn't of wrote "all" I should of wrote "almost all". Brazil is the same way. By comparison, California and Arizona have hardly any juice oranges.</p>

<p>Sorry for the confusion. You are correct, of course. And that tasty grapefruit you grew..........would never make it past a USDA inspector even with an envelope full of twenties.</p>

<p>I envy you lawyerliz: I tried to grow some produce on my back patio (like tomatoes, lemons, and so on, and only lemons were moderately successful (like 2 lemons once a year :) they taste delicious btw...well, one day I plan to grow most veggies and some fruit myself instead of buying. </p>

<p>organic chicken tastes like chicken, whereas nonorganic chicken has no smell or taste, it can be pressed carton for all I know..</p>

<p>oh, I forgot about tomatoes: organic tomatoes, if you leave them in your pantry long enough, starting to look pruny. but nonorganic ones turn into some monsters with various colors and shapes of mold, mildew and heck knows what else.</p>

<p>I think fast food addiction comes from your childhood (just like candy and other unhealthful foods). I did not have any fast food growing up, only natural products, so I don't care for a burger, it just looks unattractive to me. it makes me shudder when I see kids eating fast food or drinking coffee, they even look pale (I'm not talking about hyper and overweight). why can't people give their kids a peach instead of a candy, a baked potato instead of french fries? I've never given candy to my toddler, and his favorite foods are avocado and grapefruit... and what the heck is redwines? they don't even look like food to me, but people here seem to care for them a lot...</p>

<p>no vaseline: thanks for the thorough explanation, I learned a lot from your posts...</p>

<p>in general, I'm not 100% sure nonorganic food is bad for you or microwaving your food, but just to be on a safe side, I guess I'll boil my baby's milk on the stove...</p>

please - "they look pale" - a bit judgemental there. I think it is great that you have been able to raise your child without giving him/her fast food or sugar - and I do support your attempts to be as organic as possible. However, it is more helpful to other mothers to share your strategies as opposed to knocking their children - mothering is very hard work and to be quite honest a mother's worst enemies are other mothers.

<p>I actually agree with that, but I have no idea how to approach this: you wouldn't want a stranger to come up to you to criticize your food's choices. I'm doing what I can, like posting it here, where you can take it to heart or totally ignore :))</p>

<p>About not giving junk food to my kid: i was inspired by one episode at Henry's a few years ago. I was checking out the organic fruit stand as a guy in his forties and a teen approached it too. The teen was actually explaining to his dad what kind of organic apples tasted better, and then made several comments about how candy tastes "yucky" and he would never eat something that unhealthy. I thought to myself, "wow, I want my kid to say that to me one day." </p>

<p>And it is true, those kids do look different... I take my son to Gymboree, and most parents there seem to be into a healthy lifestyle (based on my conversations with them). Ttheir kids look energized but not hyper. However, a couple of parents (who seem overweight to me) bring their kids who just run around like somebody kicked them in the tuchus, jump, move all limbs in an uncontrolled fashion and even though they are not overweight (yet), they do look unhealthy. My cousin was feeding his little girl mostly pasta and white bread, and she was extremely pale. Luckily, she eats a much healthier food now and looks just fine. </p>

<p>Just think: if you can't imagine a certain food in nature, it is probably unhealthy. Apples-grow on the trees, candy-I have no idea where its ingredients are coming from... </p>

<p>blackacre-seeker,</p>

<p>I understand that you feel very strongly about this issue - and I know you have the best in mind for your child and of course your comments about food are validated by our medical community. However, it is simply not true that kids who eat fast food or sugar are all pale and hyperactive - just because you have made these biased observations at your one class in comparison to your child does not make it so. </p>

<p>With my first child I was crazy about food the first year of life - nursing, made my own baby food, only organic, no sugar, etc. - then I found out she had severe food allergies - well, all that other stuff went out the window when my only goal is to keep my child alive and hope that she can experience a normal life. We still limit sugar and I do a lot of organic - not all but like you lettuce, certain fruits, baby food still for my second, milk, etc.). But, the struggle to find eatable foods for my first supercedes everything.</p>

<p>I also think it is very important for you to remember that people make choices about how they raise their children based on what they can handle and manage - child rearing is very hard work. In my experience almost every single parents has thier 'thing' or 'things'. Those things for which they feel very passionate and adament about - for me with my children it was sleep and ensuring that I had well rested children. Criticism of any form - whether it be in person or on a blog does not help anyone except maybe you feel better about your choice. </p>

<p>I used to go to all those Gymboree classes, I even started a mom's club where I used to live - that was until I got tired of being around other moms. I just wish mom's could support each other better - I guess that is my 'thing.'</p>

<p>I did like your story about what inspired you - that is the type of sharing I wish moms would do more of with each other - no judging - then maybe we will start inspring each other.</p>

<p>Actually, too much sugar does put dark circles under your eyes, kids and adults, and it may be these kids are anemic, and that's why they are pale. Sugar also knocks your immune system back.</p>

<p>My best friend who actually just bought some chickens and built a hen house, and has gotten very boring over it, I just can't get excited over what the chickens are doing. So she does have free range chickens, which she will never eat, all the damned chickens have names for the love of Pete, but does have more eggs than she knows what to do with. Anyway she has a theory that we are all paler and wanner than we ought to be because we eat too much corn, and all of our meat animals are raised on corn and soy, and that somehow this makes us pale, instead of rosy, as we should be, if we are from an ethnic group that does rosy. I'm just throwing this out there, I'm not that convinced.</p>

<p>Which is not to say that treats should be forbidden, just that they be treats, not the 4 food groups.</p>

<p>My daughter wanted chocolate and McDonald's, despite my opposition, my son loved all food, except lettuce. He wanted lobster, not McDonald's. Both of them grew up to be gormands, and love sushi and other stuff that I won't try even. (Except Snonomo, I like that)</p>

<p>not taking a nap and going to bed too late can also give you dark circles! :)</p>

<p>What is a gormand - I have never heard that word??</p>

<p>I do agree that corn is overused in our society - not to mention the political implications of corn use for feed food instead of for feeding humans! But, wait this is a housing blog.....</p>

<p>A fancy word for gourmet, as in kitchens which are in houses which takes us back to housing! </p>

<p>Blackacre-- I have found tomatoes easy to grow, but I haven't tried to grow them in containers, which I assume you are. Maybe the containers aren't draining properly?</p>

<p>And the tomatoes are getting root rot? There is tomato fertilizer, but I assume you tried that.</p>

I grew tomatoes on my deck last year using an earthbox - I was not in CA or FL though! They came out wonderful - huge plants - worked great - no room on my tiny patio here in CA for the kids toys and the earthboxes - kids are winning that battle so far. Actually gardening is one of the biggest things I miss about owning a home.

<p>movingaround: food allergies are really serious, and i totally understand if you want your kid to be healthy. whatever works for you. I really did not mean for my post to be offensive to anyone, though I admit it is judgmental. That is how I feel about this issue, and I hope that it would make someone else more conscious about their kids' food choices. </p>

<p>lawyerliz: I haven't had much luck with most plants (and yes, they are in pots, I have a hardscaped patio, no dirt). Sometimes I overwater them, and sometimes I forget to water them... what tomato fertilizer are you using btw? </p>

<p>I don't know what kind of fertilizer it just says tomatoes and veggies and I get it at home depot. Actually, I think that unless you are a farmer the actual percentages of the stuff doesn't matter all that much. Altho we live on a sand dune, so we need minor elements too. Onions need sulfur containing fertilizer or they never get big and fat, just stay like green onions. Turnips--if you like them--are really easy to grow. the hub likes them raw.</p>

<p>Cooked, them seem like fake mashed potatoes to me. </p>

<p>Sometimes I forget to water the plants in pots in front of the house, but they seem to survive.</p>

<p>Oh, I forgot, if you are in SoCal, you are really dry, with really low humidity.</p>

<p>Not here!!</p>

Microwaving actually produces less carcinogens than most cooking methods, including baking, broiling, roasting, and panfrying. Steaming and boiling are similar to microwaving, but boiling trashes the vitamins. The reason is that the nasty carcinogens are based on benzene rings and those are found in the char. Unfortunately, we also find those kinds of compounds tasty, which is why microwaved food frequently doesn't taste as good.

There is a theory that the reason we have so many food allergies is that our houses are too clean. Allergies are based on the IgE system, which is primarily an antiparasite system. Parasites often have systems to trick the immune system, so the IgE system looks really hard to find something to attack. Apparently in some people if there are no parasites the IgE will still find something to attack and you get an allergy. It makes sense, because for about 400 million years our ancestors always had intestinal parasites and only in the last century have we gotten things clean enough to get rid of them.

<p>that's what the article posted by Irvine Commuter says too. I don't know, the idea of eating everything raw is starting to grow on me :))</p>

<p>my theory about allergies is that we have too many chemicals surrounding us that our ancestors weren't exposed to. When I lived in Russia as a kid, we had a cat, and I wasn't allergic to anything, b/c they still have a lot more natural things (even the paint of the walls here contains chemicals). 6 months after I moved here to a carpeted apartment, I got an allergy. Some books make me sneeze, depends on the chemicals they use...Carpet too, either b/c of the chemicals or all the dust it holds.</p>

<p>America has the highest incidence of peanut allergy, in Russia, most people don't even know about it. I blame it on Coca-cola, as usual :))</p>

I love Coca Cola - so long as it comes in a glass bottle from Mexico where they still sweeten it with white cane sugar as opposed to the crap we get stuck with here that gets sweetened with high fructose corn sruyp.

The only place I can consistantly find it is catering trucks.

<p>There is some anecdotal evidence that it's the high fructose corn syrup that is making us fat.</p>

<p>Carpets have dust mites. So do pillows and bedding. Some people are allergic to them. did you have carpets in Russia. Up to 1/3 of the weight of an old pillow can be dust mites. Ugly looking buggers too.</p>

<p>The not dirty enuf thing has some science behind it. I read in Science News a couple of years ago that dirty kids are healther, and kids are sick because they don't scrabble around in the dirt any more.</p>

<p>Awgee--I definitely think you should put your Haagan Daze in the microwave. Hot ice cream, yum yum.</p>

<p>Another counter conventional wisdom thing is that the low fat thing is nonsense. Yes, fat has more calories, but it satiates you also. Who could eat a whole stick of butter? Not many. Who can eat a tub of movie popcorn? Many many. It doesn't satiate you until you feel totally ucky. Also, there is actually no scientific proof that low fat is better for you tho there is lots of proof that transfats, overheated fats, excessively processed fats, etc, are not good for you. So I use mostly olive oil, butter, and walnut oil.</p>

<p>I guess we need to give kids a mild case of parasites for the ole immune system to work on.</p>

Back