Masks?

qwerty said:
Where is the line drawn between price gouging vs market prices (supply/demand). I?m not familiar with price gouging laws
From ca.gov:

What is price gouging?

Price gouging refers to sellers trying to take unfair advantage of consumers during an emergency or disaster by greatly increasing prices for essential consumer goods and services.
Is price gouging illegal in California?

Yes, in certain circumstances. California?s anti-price gouging statute, Penal Code Section 396, prohibits raising the price of many consumer goods and services by more than 10% after an emergency has been declared.

Local laws may also contain their own prohibitions on price gouging.

Seems kind of hard to prove vs supply/demand.

I guess that is why we don?t see many headlines about prosecution around price gouging.

I know qwerty doesn't like masks... but I think it's fun.

For one thing, it's convenient, don't have to worry about shaving... or brushing my teeth. :)

It's also interesting to see the types of masks people wear... from the scarfs to the homemade to the "only for healthcare" N95 masks.

Saw a couple of hardcore industrial masks with the re-breather valves... bmx/motorcycle masks seem to be popular too.

I think qwerty doesn't like wearing a mask because he's prettier than all of us.

That's the other thing... I have no idea if someone is smiling or sticking their tongue out at me.

Doesn't the supermarket get safer with everyone wearing a mask.  Let's say no ones wearing a mask, the droplets from talking/breathing go about 4ft, then sneezing/coughing 6-8 ft.  If everyone is wearing a mask, doesn't it greatly diminish the amount of droplets floating around in the air. 

I presume most of them would be blocked by the cloth barrier, or leak out the sides but not projecting in front of me - thus lessening my exposure to other peoples droplets and decreasing my chance for inhaling those droplets or having them land on my clothing or skin.

If there's droplets all throughout the air then I don't think wearing my mask (vs. not) will help me much because I'm gonna inhale them anyhow, but if there aren't many droplets floating around because we're all wearing masks then this should help quite a bit.

Man, I wish I could invent Coronavirus goggles that people could wear and see the virus particles in bright florescent yellow.  Everyone would want 2 pair.

I read an article about these airborne covid particles. Unless you get sneezed on directly the chance of infection is pretty low.

Because we walk so slow, any airborne particles that are light enough to be airborne would be caught in the ?wind? pattern your body generates as you walk and would essentially wrap around you but you wouldn?t inhale them.

I?ll see if I can find the article. It was pretty interesting and made a lot of sense.

Anyone notice in that scuba guy picture that lady in the background?

Everyone is wearing masks and she's standing there without a mask eating an open container of food. Must be a qwerty supporter. :)

qwerty said:
Because we walk so slow, any airborne particles that are light enough to be airborne would be caught in the ?wind? pattern your body generates as you walk and would essentially wrap around you but you wouldn?t inhale them.

So we need one of these:

1170150928.jpg

:)

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

So we need one of these:

1170150928.jpg

:)

You might blow the particles to your face.

then you are drawing all the surround air flowing across your face before directing them up.

sometimes you just can't win =___=

So I've heard about it on the news but finally saw it myself... a lady holding a mannequin head was selling masks on a street corner.

Masks are the new oranges.

qwerty said:
I read an article about these airborne covid particles. Unless you get sneezed on directly the chance of infection is pretty low.

I?ll see if I can find the article. It was pretty interesting and made a lot of sense.

So from what I understand, it looks like viral load is the key factor in determining how sick you get from covid19. So if someone comes up to you and sneezes in your face..and you inhale and suck it up...you will have a harder time in rehab, than someone who was wearing a mask sneezed into the mask and some random particles happened to float your direction and somehow managed to bind to your ACE 2 receptors.

That being said, it is even slightly more effective to wear a mask even if you're not sick. Because people are asymptomatic and could be "super spreaders" Although this is a super nasty virus, the bright side is that if you look at all the deaths around the world from Covid19, I read somewhere that the average age was around 70-80 years old (like more than 80%)... If you are younger, you will probably live..although you will have fucked up lungs, possibly brain damage and a host of other shit that you just don't want to mess with.

Was at the Walmart in the Spectrum... some guy was arguing with a Walmart associate about why he needed to wear a mask.

I thought it was qwerty but he didn't have the calves nor the proper skin color. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Was at the Walmart in the Spectrum... some guy was arguing with a Walmart associate about why he needed to wear a mask.

I thought it was qwerty but he didn't have the calves nor the proper skin color. :)

Just call IPD and they will use the pincer pole :)

2862028f-925c-440b-9128-addda3d76021.jpg

So this is why qwerty won't wear a mask:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/here-s-why-some-people-are-not-wearing-masks-during-n1200701

"People are constantly calculating the gain/loss of doing everyday things like going to the grocery store and not wearing a mask," she said. "Some will go for the shortcut."

The refusal to wear a mask, which has been mandated in numerous cities and states, allegedly figured in the death of security guard Calvin Munerlyn, 43, who was fatally shot after he barred a customer from a Family Dollar store in Flint, Michigan, because she wasn't wearing a mask.

Munerlyn's death placed a spotlight on the people whose job it has become to enforce regulations that rub a lot of people wrong.

"In general, people do not like to be told what to do,? said Elizabeth Dorrance Hall, a professor of communication at Michigan State University.

?Their reactions to being told what to do, however, vary,? Dorrance Hall said in an email. ?For example, if a person was told not to eat cake at a birthday party, they may seek to restore their freedom directly by doing the forbidden act.?

Or, Dorrance Hall said, they might express anger at the person denying them cake or ?exercise a different freedom to regain the feeling of control and choice? by eating something else like potato chips, Hall said.

Some groups, like adolescents, are more prone to riskier behavior like going without masks, Gollan added.

"Sometimes it?s a matter of wanting to control one?s own behavior and in wanting to feel like they?re in control they will do something like this," Gollan said.

"Sometimes, it's a matter of people thinking that wearing a mask doesn't work, or they disbelieve the science."

Why didn't qwerty protest about the death of Calvin Munerlyn? Is dying from enforcing a rule less tragic than what happened to Floyd?

I don?t protest. I mind my own business. Perhaps I?m part of the problem. I have a corporate job and and if I said anything or did anything that the public would perceive as negative it could cost me my job. I don?t post anything on any social media sights because the wrong thing can get you fired.

So I value my money more than ?doing the right thing?. All I care about is setting up my kids for a better life than I had. Anything else is just noise.

You think it?s some sort of cop out argument but ever since I can remember I have held the view that people die everyday and it doesn?t bother me. The death part doesn?t bother me. They way someone dies may bother me. I?m tired of seeing white cops kill black people with no real consequence. The cop just got arrested. But I wouldn?t be surprised if the guy gets off. I guess it?s the inequality and abuse of power that bothers me. Not just with the police but anywhere. And the fact that it just happens again and again with no consequence bothers me. I can only imagine what black people feel like.

Random acts of stupidity that end up in death are more frequent and don?t bother me the same way deaths from the abuse of power bother me. Covid deaths fall under the ?not much you can do about it? category. You think the covid deaths can be avoided. I think they can be delayed. For the time being at least. We will see what happens with a treatment/vaccine.  But like I have said before. If you are predisposed to death die to covid you may die anyway if there is a treatment/vaccine.

In a world that was less PC, perhaps I would be more vocal. But when I retire, the gloves are coming off :)

Back