Lambert Ranch in Irvine

Classic behavior of addicts justifying why their habit is not harmful to their health. This is my confession. I am a certified addict.

The Motor Court Company said:
The landfill is not an issue because you cannot see it today. The cell tower is not an issue because it looks like a red barn on the farm. The toll road is not an issue because you can barely hear it. ihs sums up the best.

irvinehomeshopper said:
You sound like a ostrich that stick its head into the sand to hide from predators

rkp said:
the landfill operations, trash, trucks, etc are not visible at all.  the sides of the mountains that enclose the landfill are visible. 

Arman said:
I agree with rkp. I've been there 3x over this past week or so, and the noise from the toll road was barely noticeable, and that was when I was *trying* to notice it. I thought that the noise from Portola was more (also barely there and only when I tried to notice it). I agree that as the houses get put in along with more trees and landscaping that the noise will get even better absorbed.

rkp said:
the final mockups they showed us had it red and kind of something you might see on a farm.  supposed to  fit with the ranch house theme and hide the cell phone tower...

In all fairness, I will not buy most tracts within Portola Springs due to the close proximity to the landfill, Las Ventanas included.  For me, I pick on LR the most because it's the most expensive one and one of the rare new home projects in Irvine that touts 3500+ sq ft homes and premium view lots. There is nothing against LR except its location. I like everything TNHC has done (community design, floor plans, non-stucco exterior, no-mello-roos) and wish them the best.

In other words, it is very interesting to see what happens to a well designed, executed and rare product but located in one of the worst locations imaginable. In a way it is like the opposite of buying an old looking Turtle Rock tract home.

rkp said:
here is a question for you - there is an active thread on las ventanas right now and nothing from IHS mocking the people discussing the lots and options to buy.  yet they are just as close as LR buyers.  so whats the deal?  what makes people like you and IHS so angry about this development?

In a way it is like the opposite of buying an old looking Turtle Rock tract home.

you are totally right.  TR has location beyond belief.  if TRidge even came somewhat close in pricing, this would be a no brainer...

FCBs will buy a dated house in TRock without a doubt.

In all fairness, I will not buy most tracts within Portola Springs due to the close proximity to the landfill, Las Ventanas included.  For me, I pick on LR the most because it's the most expensive one and one of the rare new home projects in Irvine that touts 3500+ sq ft homes and premium view lots. There is nothing against LR except its location. I like everything TNHC has done (community design, floor plans, non-stucco exterior, no-mello-roos) and wish them the best.

In other words, it is very interesting to see what happens to a well designed, executed and rare product but located in one of the worst locations imaginable. In a way it is like the opposite of buying an old looking Turtle Rock tract home.

rkp said:
here is a question for you - there is an active thread on las ventanas right now and nothing from IHS mocking the people discussing the lots and options to buy.  yet they are just as close as LR buyers.  so whats the deal?  what makes people like you and IHS so angry about this development?

Do you really know what the term land fill means. Trash fills up the land and can you explain to me how the land remains the same elevation when 2000 tons of trash on a weekly basis is being added to the land. Did you see the layering of contours at the La Puente landfill. The only way a landfill remains flat is when the slumdog millionaires in Mumbai kept digging in the trash and removing them from the premise. In India trash dumps never gain height but in America trash dumps only get higher!

FCBs will buy a dated house in TRock without a doubt.
rkp said:
The landfill is not an issue because you cannot see it today. The cell tower is not an issue because it looks like a red barn on the farm. The toll road is not an issue because you can barely hear it. ihs sums up the best.

no one said anything about the cell tower being an issue or not - i was responding to someone asking what the water tower was.  personally i dont want to live anywhere close to a tower.  heck, i dont use bluetooth, use a wired headset, and take extra vitamin c when i fly due to the x-rays.  i think they made a mistake putting houses so close to the tower and they will have trouble selling the top most houses that neighbor the cell tower.

on the toll road, i really dont get your point on this one.  go there yourself and listen.  the toll road is barely audible and thats if you are on the hill lots with the wind.  if you are down in the flatter area, you just cant hear it.  so how exactly can the toll road be an issue if you barely can hear it?  almost all of irvine has major streets surrounding them.  not 1-2 laners but 4-5 lanes on each side are common throughout irvine.  everyone here agrees tustin ranch and west irvine are very nice.  well i fly on jamboree at over 80 mph and am not the only one.  i guarantee you can hear drivers like me in many of those neighborhoods

finally, and the most critical, the landfill.  i cancelled augusta cause of health concerns and will quickly walk away from LR if i believe their is a risk.  i am doing my research on it and i hope every other buyer is not taking the issue lightly as well.  but the problem with IHS is that he is just repeating the same thing with no point and its becoming noise.  and that doesnt help anyone.  saying that you can see operations isnt true.  you can see trucks on a road but you can also see all those trucks on portola and sand canyon so to me, its no different than being able to see those streets from your window.  his other major point is that it will grow 500 feet from there and thats what i am trying to understand right now.  my friend spent a year at the apex site in vegas, the largest landfill in the country, and there the mountain of trash doesnt grow but just replaces the existing mountains.  not a fun image or thought but much more tolerable than IHS's dooming description of a trash pile that is 500 feet higher.  my understanding is that the bowerman landfill operates much the same way.

rkp said:

an old article from BBC...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/146634.stm

Babies are more likely to suffer from serious birth defects such as spina bifida and heart malformations if their mothers live close to toxic waste landfill dumps, scientists have discovered.

BBC environment correspondent, Robert Pigott, reports on the findings
A team of researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine found women who live less than two miles from industrial landfill dumps are a third more likely to have children with serious birth defects.

They say the link makes it imperative that better monitoring of the health risks of landfill sites is introduced.

Scrutinised European sites

The BBC's Richard Hannaford on the risk of landfill sites
The scientists investigated the rates of birth defects around 21 industrial landfill sites in the UK, Belgium, France, Denmark and Italy.

They identified 1,089 cases of defects in live and still births and abortions where the mother had lived within 4.2 miles of landfills.

A further 2,366 children of women who lived within the same zone were identified who were born without malformations.

Analysis showed that children whose mothers lived within 1.8 miles of the dumps were 33% more likely to have birth defects than those whose mothers lived between 1.8 and 4.2 miles from the sites.

The risks fell the farther women lived from the landfill sites.

Account was taken of differences in mothers' ages and socio-economic status.

Both factors have been linked with the risk of birth defects.

Increased risks

[ image: Scientists looked at women living near industrial dumps]
Scientists looked at women living near industrial dumps
The researchers said in an article in the Lancet medical journal: "We have found increased risks of many types of congenital anomaly near the landfill sites, although not all of these findings were significant.

"There was a significantly overall increased risk of neural-tube defects, malformations of the cardiac septa (hole-in-the-heart), and malformations of the great arteries and veins in residents near the landfill sites in our study."

But it was not clear whether the increased risk of birth defects was caused by living near toxic waste or by some other factor, the researchers said.

They recommended environmental health monitoring for landfill sites and other pollution sources, which would include registers of birth defects and assessment of exposure to chemicals.

The team said: "Our results show the need for further investigation of the potential environmental and health risks of landfill sites and for a more systematic environmental health surveillance system in Europe."

'Don't be alarmed'

Lead researcher Dr Helen Dolk stressed that there was no firm evidence that landfill sites were causing the increase in birth defects, and that it was not known to what extend people were exposed to toxic chemicals.

She said: "If we had this kind of information and there was a correlation then it could get alarming, but we're not there yet. We need more studies.

"In general we should be carrying out more surveillance rather than leaving it almost to chance."

Dr Dolk said US studies indicated a link between landfill sites and birth defects, but never such a strong correlation.

She said it was possible that people could be exposed to toxic chemicals through gaseous emissions, dust particles, or through contamination of water supplies.

Difficult to interpret

Commenting on the study, Professor Goran Pershagen, of the Institute of Environmental Medicine, Stockholm, said it was difficult to interpret the results.

He stressed that no-one knew how much exposure, if any, the women had had to chemicals from the landfill sites.

He wrote: "Overall the evidence is very limited, and the results clearly point to the need for further study."

'Extremely worrying'

[ image: Health risks should be better monitored say researchers]
Health risks should be better monitored say researchers
The environmental group Friends of the Earth called for immediate action to assess the full extent of the landfill danger, and to reduce the amount of toxic waste the UK produces.

FoE said there were about 8,000 landfill sites in Britain, of which 2,000 were still having material dumped in them.

FoE senior waste campaigner Mike Childs said: "This research is extremely worrying. Friends of the Earth has warned for a number of years that landfill sites are toxic timebombs.

"There are thousands of landfill sites around the country, and no-one has a clue what toxic chemicals are dumped in many of them.

"The government must urgently conduct detailed health studies around rubbish dumps in the UK. Furthermore, we also need to tackle the source of the pollution. The government must act to reduce the amount of toxic waste produced by industry.

velbon said:

Babies are more likely to suffer from serious birth defects such as spina bifida and heart malformations if their mothers live close to toxic waste landfill dumps, scientists have discovered.

Too bad all this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand since Bowerman is not an industrial/toxic waste dump.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Do you really know what the term land fill means. Trash fills up the land and can you explain to me how the land remains the same elevation when 2000 tons of trash on a weekly basis is being added to the land. Did you see the layering of contours at the La Puente landfill. The only way a landfill remains flat is when the slumdog millionaires in Mumbai kept digging in the trash and removing them from the premise. In India trash dumps never gain height but in America trash dumps only get higher!

do you know how to read?  i wrote that the apex site in vegas doesnt do that.  you seem to love google searches so instead of asking if i understand what a land fill is, why not learn about the apex site in vegas?  at that site, the mountains are *replaced* with trash mountains.  so they are growing but replacing them.  third party companies use the rock or whatever the mountains are made of

i have no idea if bowerman works this way.  there is never a 100% safe thing.  as SGIP put it, living on previous farmland doesnt mean no health risk as they used all sorts of chemicals over years and years.  same with former corporate sites like One Ford Road which was a ford aerospace plant.  any idea how many toxic materials were used at plants like that?  that might as well be a former military base....

On the toll road noise issue:

Just because you don't hear it at that time... doesn't mean you won't in the future.

It's ultimately what turned us off of Las Ventanas. We went there during different times of the day, like when you go to sleep at 11pm or trying to sleep at 6am, and you'll be surprised how much noise is generated. I would have done a 2am noise run but the other times already convinced me that it's not something I want to deal with.

Granted, LR is much farther than LV... so I do think that's less of an impact. And many people don't mind the noise (Serra has their $1m+ homes closer to the toll road)... but you will occasionally hear that Harley, big truck or rice rocket zooming up or down even that far away.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The only way a landfill remains flat is when the slumdog millionaires in Mumbai kept digging in the trash and removing them from the premise. In India trash dumps never gain height but in America trash dumps only get higher!

Man, I know it's off topic, but India has to be the stinkiest country I've ever visited in my life time. It even smells at the Shivaji Airport in Mumbai, literally like feet, and urine.

Bangalore actually wasn't as stinky.

@RKP
Bowerman was once a location for concrete manufacturing due to its proximity to Irvine. There was once a crator and that hole was already filled quickly within a few years of taking in most of OC's trash. Its current elevation is already higher than the home development nearby. It is no longer a place of a concrete plant. Trash will only get piled higher and higher. But don't worry it will be covered by a top layer of dirt and planted trees so you won't even know it is a trash pile underneath it. Since you won't see it so it does not exist in the Ostrich world. Do you see a reservoir just beneath the dump. It is the water managed by IRWD. IHO asked about it.

Ostriches are very forgetful so here is the reminder again and check out your drinking water source. Do you think IRWD will ever talk about the water near the landfill?

6313287478_16d8b96bd7.jpg

For once i agree with Indie 100%.

In fact after coming back from india last year I was so happy with what
300/sq ft buys you here in Irvine. Agreed it used to be lot lower just a
few years back.

IndieDev said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
The only way a landfill remains flat is when the slumdog millionaires in Mumbai kept digging in the trash and removing them from the premise. In India trash dumps never gain height but in America trash dumps only get higher!

Man, I know it's off topic, but India has to be the stinkiest country I've ever visited in my life time. It even smells at the Shivaji Airport in Mumbai, literally like feet, and urine.

Bangalore actually wasn't as stinky.

Housing in Indian cities has gotten out of control with wage inflation. Not that I'd want to live in the city, and "all" that goes along with it.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Ostriches are very forgetful so here is the reminder again and check out your drinking water source. Do you think IRWD will ever talk about the water near the landfill?
I don't think any municipal water district uses a standing water pool as a water source for drinking water... maybe someone who works for one can verify this.

Maybe that's where Wild Rivers is going to re-open at? /kidding

Irvine lake and San Joaquin are the primary water sources. That reservoir just right below the landfill is there for something. It could be for agricultural use and get fed to you by ways of strawberries.

IRWD serves not just irvine but a lot of OC.  IHS, you never share the amazing area you live in that has everything going for it and no negatives.  I just hope its not one of these as the water you drink is the same as those near the landfill...

"IRWD encompasses approximately 179 square miles and serves all of the city of Irvine, plus portions of Costa Mesa, Lake Forest, Newport Beach, Orange, Tustin and unincorporated areas of Orange County."http://www.irwd.com/about-us/irwd-basics/map.html

Arman said:
velbon said:

Too bad all this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand since Bowerman is not an industrial/toxic waste dump.

I just dumped more coolant and batteries into the trash yesterday.

You too. I dump my E waste and shrimp paste jars in to the same bin. No one ever check the contents in the waste bins.

test said:
Arman said:
velbon said:

I just dumped more coolant and batteries into the trash yesterday.

Back