Laguna Altura in 2011

ahbrownell said:
Yep. Try more indietroll.

ahbrow, I'm sorry you feel that way. I just find humor in the fact that the only serious Laguna Altura prospective buyer to post in months is a tried and true 3.5% FHA buyer such as yourself.

In a way, you just posting here kind of makes the point that LA really sucks in a way that I couldn't hope to convey anymore eloquently. Thank you ahbrownell, thank you so much.

ahbrownell said:
Thanks for the response last page btw IHOwner, actual explanations for opinions. I'll need to go drive around LA, curious about the walled off feeling you describe. I find the proximity to spectrum and the 133, 405, and 5 freeways a major perk --- stonegate is sooooo far off the freeway.
When LA first opened, there were long lines for the trams that were taking people from hood to hood... so we decided to walk from the detached condo side (Siena/San Remo) to the SFR side (Cortona/Toscana)... and we had to walk around that huge wall that surrounded the middle Cortona hood. I believe it's open now so you can walk through Cortona instead of around it... but just having that gigantic wall when you drive right into LA isn't the best thing for your "first exposure" to the area.

Like you... I find the proximity to the things you mentioned more favorable to me and while Stonegate is a bit remote... one thing is it's very quiet compared to some of the lots in LA where you can hear the 405/133 in your backyard or from an open upper floor window.
Any other neighborhoods to recommend?
I prefer Quail Hill over Laguna Altura, and QH is probably one of my top Irvine places to live. Oak Creek is nice too but being north of the 405 you get that noise/dust due to the natural wind movement. Woodbridge is also north of the 405 and older, but you get the lakes/pools and older style homes (I have a preference for 2 dining areas and a formal living room).

Westpark II is a mid 90s area and maybe a bit too pink but at least they have 3car-garages. Based on the price point for Siena, there's not a lot in newer homes in Irvine in that same range close to the 405... although I have seen some detached condos in QH going for that low 6 range (although the location layouts are a bit more dense than Siena).

I would buy a QH detached condo over Siena. Something like this:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/214-Tuberose-92603/home/5945335

It was an REO and actually went for pretty cheap but it had a decent floorplan although no real backyard space for your dog.

Maybe something like this?
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/103-Windchime-92603/home/5945193

It's small but is detached and has a small sideyard for Rover.

I forgot to add there was a recent post on the IHB reviewing Siena:
http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/a-review-of-siena-in-laguna-altura
Pros:

New, gated community
Homeowners can customize property
Beautiful location
Private backyards
Attached garages
Build it Green? certified
Energy efficient air conditioning, gas furnace and tankless water heater
Cons:

No fireplace
Small bedrooms
Inadequate closet space
High kitchen cabinets
Construction will continue for 2-3 years

Proximity is great only if there is a transition that separate your palace from the hectic world outside. This is what planners and designers call buffer. Transitionally this buffer is a long procession of landscape path and windy road. Here are some good examples: BelAir and Holmby Hills to Westwood, Oak Knoll to Pasadena, Montecito to Downtown Santa Barbara, Pacific Palisade to Santa Monica and Kensington to Downtown San Diego. There are many more examples.

The transition to Laguna Altura is not only abrupt but the location lies in the curvature of freeway ramps and major crossroads. The site more ideally should have been a rest stop for gas stations, McDonald's, Starbucks and grocery mall for Laguna Beach residents heading home. As a residential development it is like forcing Kobe's foot into an Asian shoe. The gate is so close to a major expressway. Driving up to to this expensive community I expect to see expansive vista but instead I drive straight into a wall. The different neighborhoods are disjointed without a grand pedestrian walkways and paths that connect them to one another and frankly there is no destination for people to take a stroll because greed took out most of the amenities distinctive for each of the neighborhoods. The internal connectivity is lousy.

There is no view from the homes what so ever and yet they are elevated. As I was driving to Irvine from Laguna Beach I see the entire development is carved into a bowl or many others refer to as a wok. There is nothing attractive from what I could see from the road other than the repetitions of concrete tile roofs. The hills of Italy (Altura) should be picturesque with up and down playful roofscapes. There are loud signs with oversized letters meant for speed of 80mph but speed at that junction is usually at a snail pace.

Walking outside of Laguna Altura is like leaving the Forbidden City. It is isolated and foreign. The crosswalk is not only dangerous and the  paths to the amenities you had mentioned do not exist. Imagine sending your kids out there to die by walking to schools. Try walking to the Spectrum? The backside where former Verizon and Waterpark were will be homes to many thousands of Apartment homes. The traffic at the Y has been a nightmare for many decades and living so close to traffic gridlock leads to further frustrations.

This location is hot with dirty sooty stagnant air during the summer months. There is no prevailing breeze. The tract design and styles are not spectacular. The colors are weird like the red houses. To live there I expect a huge discount to make it worthwhile for my health risk and other factors I have to live with. This place felt landlock by roads, freeway, topography, overbearing densities and traffic, and millions of cars drive by daily. It is not a defensible space. It's location is subject to intense fire due to adjacent high fire zone.

You seem so bitter and I'm really annoyed at you telling the truth.. err... trolling about Laguna Altura. Your opinion offends me enough that I will post about how mad I am on the internet.

I'm going to go change my maxipad now.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The transition to Laguna Altura is not only abrupt but the location lies in the curvature of freeway ramps and major crossroads. The site more ideally should have been a rest stop for gas stations, McDonald's, Starbucks and grocery mall for Laguna Beach residents heading home. As a residential development it is like forcing Kobe's foot into an Asian shoe. The gate is so close to a major expressway. Driving up to to this expensive community I expect to see expansive vista but instead I drive straight into a wall. The different neighborhoods are disjointed without a grand pedestrian walkways and paths that connect them to one another and frankly there is no destination for people to take a stroll because greed took out most of the amenities distinctive for each of the neighborhoods. The internal connectivity is lousy.
I think I've been to too many of your campfires.

It's scary when we both think the same things... but it just shows that basics are basics... no matter how much TIC wants to spin it.

It does not take a genius to cite the flaws, It is all common sense. For some who comes here wanting opinions and instead really wanting validation and comforting words. I, IHO and many others feel the same way. Think about resale and we are your audience. No one lives in an Irvine house forever. It is like an Apple gadget where you want to buy another one in a few years. You may fall in love with it but no one else will. 

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

It's scary when we both think the same things... but it just shows that basics are basics... no matter how much TIC wants to spin it.

I agree with the all flaws about LA. Maybe we have TIC trolls coming out now to defend their botched up development?

irvinehomeshopper said:
It does not take a genius to cite the flaws, It is all common sense. For some who comes here wanting opinions and instead really wanting validation and comforting words. I, IHO and many others feel the same way. Think about resale and we are your audience. No one lives in an Irvine house forever. It is like an Apple gadget where you want to buy another one in a few years. You may fall in love with it but no one else will. 

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

ahbrownell said:
Yep. Try more indietroll.

Thanks for the response last page btw IHOwner, actual explanations for opinions. I'll need to go drive around LA, curious about the walled off feeling you describe. I find the proximity to spectrum and the 133, 405, and 5 freeways a major perk --- stonegate is sooooo far off the freeway.

Any other neighborhoods to recommend?

Quail Hill.

The Motor Court Company said:
I agree with the all flaws about LA. Maybe we have TIC trolls coming out now to defend their botched up development?

irvinehomeshopper said:

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

That wouldn't surprise me. Some of the most ridiculous cheerleaders were probably TIC shills. There are a few who post here who definitely fit the bill, we all know who they are.

When I see good design I will applaud its strength. Orchard Hills so far looks the best. Lambert Ranch has interesting layout and adequate lot size to achieve a decent floor plan as long I don't have to live in it then it is ok to own next to a minimum security prison with violent convicts among the population.

I was simply commenting on the tone and personal attacks. Saying something is bad is helpful, saying why it's bad is much more helpful. Making false statements just to be rude, seems well, troll-like. I'd expect that behavior from a bratty teenager with no social skills.

I think a lot of people are frustrated that the house I'd like to buy either doesn't exist or is way overpriced, but rather than cry about it on this forum to people who generally feel the same way, I'd rather learn as much as I can and make the best out of what the situation is (not what I wish it was).

Thanks for the polite posts to those who made them. I'm going to start researching QH tonight. :)

irvinehomeshopper said:
When I see good design I will applaud its strength. Orchard Hills so far looks the best. Lambert Ranch has interesting layout and adequate lot size to achieve a decent floor plan as long I don't have to live in it then it is ok to own next to a minimum security prison with violent convicts among the population.

irvinehomeshopper, I think we may have been separated at birth.

irvinehomeshopper said:

My friend who is a PO says dumping state convicts into county jails is asking for trouble.  Does my mello Roos pay for the fence?  Electrified?

There is not a whole lot you can do. The county does not have $$ to secure the prison's chainlink fence installed since the early 70's. The OC courts are impacted and hearing dates have been postponed. The innocents regardless of the the mature of the crime are housed in local Musick and Santa Ana County jail until their case is heard and decided. In the meantime the ones will likely be found guilty "escape" is the only thing on their mind. Have you seen the Sheriff buses with blackout windows taking the innocents to court via Bake Pkwy? 

Do you think that when the prison fence fails that the poor residents of Portola Springs will be able to fend off the nazi cannibal gangs, and mexican drug cartel enforcers?

There is nothing the local developers could do except to plant a bunch of trees to hide it from line of sight. When you can't see it then it is not there like sticking your head into the sand. This trick was used too much.

Musick even lied to cover up the severity of the crime being accused of among the prison population like dead beat dad, drug addicts and prostitutes just so the future neighbors won't put pressure on the facility.

I pray that 8' fence would never fail. Electrifying the fence is a liability when residential encroachment is so close.

Back