Laguna Altura in 2011

I think there is a "City Engineer" that reviews these and as far as I can tell he approves them automatically. Funny how these documents always carry the disclaimer that after approval, the City reserves the right to ask the applicant to re-design (which of course never happens). Maybe this is a legal out clause.

USCTrojanCPA said:
The Motor Court Company said:
I am not a civil engineer, but some of the "engineering deviations" involve changes to curb height, reducing cross slope of the streets (if the streets are too flat, you'd get flooding during heavy rains). I guess we will have a 3rd lake in Irvine in the Stonegate area if there is some record rain. Maybe they should rename the village to Stonelake and it will sell even better.

One of the most common "administrative reliefs", well you probably can guess it, is to relax the parking requirements. There are X numbers of parking required for each residence type and they must be within Y feet. Each tract is different, but even Maricopa has some exceptions. I recall one of the worst cases is 250 feet for a Santa Maria residence but the parking is more than 500 feet away.

This list goes on and on....

socalquest said:
I thought safety is more important than $$$. They should throw those officials in jail for corruption! I have lived in Shanghai apartments and I thought it was already bad over there, money trumps safety there all the time. Afterall, it's no different here in IRVINE USA too!

USCTrojanCPA said:
socalquest said:
Those motor court homes at San Remo have VERY narrow and shared driveways. I was there last weekend and was trying to maneuver my midsized SUV in and out and it was a damn hassle!  Could you imaging if an owner had a Cadillac Escalade backing out of the garage? Opps I just banged into the wall of my neighbor's home! How can the City of Irvine approve such housing plans?
Not that hard considering the power and influence that TIC has over the City and political officials.
Not that I'm a big fan of additional government but maybe if these "exceptions" and/or "engineering deviations" had to be reviewed and approved by the county they would be less frequent.  TIC sure likes to push the envelope with these things.

ps99472 said:
You'll have to do an Austin Powers maneuver every morning and night if you drive a big car and live in a motorcourt.

I won't be able to look at a motor court ever again without thinking about this. Hilarious!

update:

flights must have come in from the far east...    somehow got the suitcases of cash through customs...    2 houses in LA (Cortona) sold this past weekend (well not closed yet)...    Received a call from them.  They seem pretty excited for themselves - to the point they just released phase 4.    Of course the comment I received was "You better hurry in and buy one while we still have them.  I can't guarantee that the next phase won't be priced higher"...    wow.  That being said, they reaffirmed that TIC would not be offering ANY incentives or price reductions "while sales are this brisk"...   

akim997 said:
update:

flights must have come in from the far east...    somehow got the suitcases of cash through customs...    2 houses in LA (Cortona) sold this past weekend (well not closed yet)...    Received a call from them.  They seem pretty excited for themselves - to the point they just released phase 4.    Of course the comment I received was "You better hurry in and buy one while we still have them.  I can't guarantee that the next phase won't be priced higher"...    wow.  That being said, they reaffirmed that TIC would not be offering ANY incentives or price reductions "while sales are this brisk"...   
Boy, they sure do love to blow smoke up people's butts.  Buy now or deal with higher prices errrrr be priced out forever errrrr due to "brisk" sales, huh?  haha

According to TIC extensive consumer research and meticulous market studies determined the products. How could TIC missed the most important thing such as Asian driving skill pulling into a garage with a 90 degree turn.

Let alone Asians can't even drive straight.

socalquest said:
Those motor court homes at San Remo have VERY narrow and shared driveways. I was there last weekend and was trying to maneuver my midsized SUV in and out and it was a damn hassle!  Could you imaging if an owner had a Cadillac Escalade backing out of the garage? Opps I just banged into the wall of my neighbor's home! How can the City of Irvine approve such housing plans?

Obviously you have NEVER been to Shanghai or any part of China. The Chinese from the Mainland, are one of the BEST drivers in the world and I am NOT kidding!!! Go there and see for yourself!!! I seldom see accidents there even though they drive fast and furious constantly, and have the most tightest parking spaces one would find in surburban America

Umm, I have been to China, and I have spent many weeks in China at a time in Shanghai, HK, Macau, and Lushon City.

The G11 expressway out of Lushon is one of the only freeways I've been on in my entire life where I thought I was going to die, and I've been on the 405, 10, and 91 during some crazy times here in SoCal.

They don't even take wrecked cars off the road in China until a week after the accident has already happened. Is that wrecked car blocking a lane? No biggie, that dump truck with 2 tons of coal will just speed through the only lane, even if that means potentially crushing a mini van or guy on a motorcycle. It's all about jockeying to get into position so I can get through first, forget safety and road manners, I need to dump my coal baby! Red light on a city street? You think a California roll is bad? Chinese drivers will do it through a freaking RED light.

There are no rules on Chinese expressways, it's every man for himself.

I think YOU haven't been to China, because every time I go I see multiple wrecks on the expressway traveling between cities. I remember reading that China has one of the worst traffic fatality rates in the developed world. Mostly moped and motorcycle drivers probably as you see about 5 of those wrecked on the side of the road every 2-3 miles.

Driving in China is a death defying adventure, unless of course you do get killed, in which case your dead body will linger on the expressway for at least 3 hours while medical help struggles to get through a 20 mile traffic jam (where everyone ignores the sirens and doesn't move over unless you literally push your bumper into the back of their car) just to remove your corpse from the road. Then a week later when they finally scrape your vehicle from the road, at least you won't be furious when your family is charged for "wreckage removal."

socalquest, if you were just kidding, and you successfully trolled me, good job.

Because I'm honestly baffled how anyone can claim Chinese drivers on the mainland are good at anything besides crushing other peoples bumpers and fenders on a daily basis.

The best Chinese drivers are all here. A slow driver holding up a line of cars are mostly Chinese and other Asian drivers including Indians.

Compared to China, the asian drivers here are relatively docile. Yes they will stop in the middle of an intersection to make a last minute right turn to where they "really wanted to go", or they may drive 10 mph under the speed limit, but they won't for the most part make your daily commute a death defying adventure of metal and scrap.

One things that I see a lot is Chinese make a left turn into a busy parking lot and then suddenly stop after they pass the driveway apron to unload passengers. This caused many rear end collisions and the fault always go to the car behind the stopped car.

So TIC thinks cooking will help sell Laguna Altura... their latest email blast:
Join us at Toscana to enjoy cooking demonstrations inside our chef-inspired gourmet kitchens. Utilizing our various appliance packages, you?ll learn how to prepare delicious recipes while experiencing the value of brands such as KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Sub Zero, and Thermador. Plus, meet and greet with community teams and discover how you can customize your dream kitchen through our Irvine Pacific Design Center.
Think they'll use shrimp paste?

The subject line of the email should have been "Learn to wok in the wok!"

will they screen people who RSVPed? will the rift rafts show up for free lunch?

irvinehomeowner said:
So TIC thinks cooking will help sell Laguna Altura... their latest email blast:
Join us at Toscana to enjoy cooking demonstrations inside our chef-inspired gourmet kitchens. Utilizing our various appliance packages, you?ll learn how to prepare delicious recipes while experiencing the value of brands such as KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Sub Zero, and Thermador. Plus, meet and greet with community teams and discover how you can customize your dream kitchen through our Irvine Pacific Design Center.
Think they'll use shrimp paste?

The subject line of the email should have been "Learn to wok in the wok!"

irvinehomeshopper said:
One things that I see a lot is Chinese make a left turn into a busy parking lot and then suddenly stop after they pass the driveway apron to unload passengers. This caused many rear end collisions and the fault always go to the car behind the stopped car.

Sounds like it could become a new method of performing an insurance scam once the scammers figure out this works.  I am sure the dive and swoop get's eyeballed by the insurance companies too much for scammers nowadays. 

IndieDev said:
Umm, I have been to China, and I have spent many weeks in China at a time in Shanghai, HK, Macau, and Lushon City.

The G11 expressway out of Lushon is one of the only freeways I've been on in my entire life where I thought I was going to die, and I've been on the 405, 10, and 91 during some crazy times here in SoCal.

They don't even take wrecked cars off the road in China until a week after the accident has already happened. Is that wrecked car blocking a lane? No biggie, that dump truck with 2 tons of coal will just speed through the only lane, even if that means potentially crushing a mini van or guy on a motorcycle. It's all about jockeying to get into position so I can get through first, forget safety and road manners, I need to dump my coal baby! Red light on a city street? You think a California roll is bad? Chinese drivers will do it through a freaking RED light.

There are no rules on Chinese expressways, it's every man for himself.

I think YOU haven't been to China, because every time I go I see multiple wrecks on the expressway traveling between cities. I remember reading that China has one of the worst traffic fatality rates in the developed world. Mostly moped and motorcycle drivers probably as you see about 5 of those wrecked on the side of the road every 2-3 miles.

Driving in China is a death defying adventure, unless of course you do get killed, in which case your dead body will linger on the expressway for at least 3 hours while medical help struggles to get through a 20 mile traffic jam (where everyone ignores the sirens and doesn't move over unless you literally push your bumper into the back of their car) just to remove your corpse from the road. Then a week later when they finally scrape your vehicle from the road, at least you won't be furious when your family is charged for "wreckage removal."

irvinehomeshopper said:
According to TIC extensive consumer research and meticulous market studies determined the products. How could TIC missed the most important thing such as Asian driving skill pulling into a garage with a 90 degree turn.

Asian's always back into their parking spots so TIC figured there is no problem :)  I should say they attempt to back-in!

Back on topic...We found a leftover San Remo from Phase 4 with a bunch of upgrades that just fell out of escrow.  They want 787k for Plan 3, without any flooring upgrades, and yellowish (yellow trash??) granite countertops.  It's lot 129 on Cipresso if you're interested.  TIC won't budge on the price or give any builder credits.

We also found out about some Sienna's with a real (30') driveway coming up.  They are the closest units to the 405 and the back yard shrinks another 3 feet.

SandVball said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Asian's always back into their parking spots so TIC figured there is no problem :)  I should say they attempt to back-in!

Back on topic...We found a leftover San Remo from Phase 4 with a bunch of upgrades that just fell out of escrow.  They want 787k for Plan 3, without any flooring upgrades, and yellowish (yellow trash??) granite countertops.  It's lot 129 on Cipresso if you're interested.  TIC won't budge on the price or give any builder credits.

We also found out about some Sienna's with a real (30') driveway coming up.  They are the closest units to the 405 and the back yard shrinks another 3 feet.

I think this is the one you are talking about..http://mls.ocexclusives.com/703796w...30-Cipresso-129-Irvine-CA-92618-MLS-U12003016

Asking $ 787,008

Why end it with an "8" in the price? Trying to lure a Chinese buyer! hahaha

SandVball said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

Of course TIC won't budge on anything, they are the most inflexible builder out there to deal with.  Take a pass on it.

ps9 said:
So based on an assumed $350/sq ft..  the prices for these homes will be

Sienna
Plan 1:  $554,750
Plan 2:  $575,750
Plan 3:  $618,450

San Remo
Plan 1:  $658,700
Plan 2:  $691,600
Plan 3:  $707,700

Cortona
Plan 1:  $837,200
Plan 2:  $948,500
Plan 3:  $990,150

Toscana
Plan 1:  $988,050
Plan 2:  $1,034,950
Plan 3:  $1,095,150

What do you guys think?  I think the detached condos will be closer to $360-365/ sq ft.  Cortona's plan 1 and plan 2 have a big gap, I think it will be a good buy for one of these in the early phases.  HOA around $200-300 (gate?) and tax/mello roos of 1.8%. 

Toscana Plan 1 listed for $2.6M:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/56-Chianti-92618/home/45378796

Back