Laguna Altura in 2011

irvinehomeshopper said:
Sadly to say several relatives lived by Shurr High Montebello next to a landfill passed away from cancer. They bought there during the early 80's.

a lot of things cause cancer, are you sure the landfill caused the cancer?

SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
I really like IHO's 3CWG obscenity avatar

It's an obscenity avatar?? All this time I thought IHO was spoofing the SOPA / PIPA black-outs especially since he put up the new avatar the same day they began. Which is it, IHO?
It started with SOPA/PIPA then I figured it reflects what TIC is currently doing... censoring my right to a 3CWG... heh.

Portola Springs is right next to a DUMP (landfill). I rather live near the freeways.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
What worries me is the whole gate thing.

All that does is add another 10-20% to the price and make the HOAs higher.

I don't like it... I get the feeling these homes are going to have a much higher price point than we are seeing at Portola Springs and Stonegate.
While Portola is around $300/sf to $320/sf for the new homes, my guess is that those Laguna Crossing homes will be around $350/sf.  So is living there really worth 15-20% more than living in Portola???  Your HOA will probably be north of $300/mo and Mello Roos will probably be over $4,000/yr.

socalquest said:
Portola Springs is right next to a DUMP (landfill). I rather live near the freeways.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
What worries me is the whole gate thing.

All that does is add another 10-20% to the price and make the HOAs higher.

I don't like it... I get the feeling these homes are going to have a much higher price point than we are seeing at Portola Springs and Stonegate.
While Portola is around $300/sf to $320/sf for the new homes, my guess is that those Laguna Crossing homes will be around $350/sf.  So is living there really worth 15-20% more than living in Portola???  Your HOA will probably be north of $300/mo and Mello Roos will probably be over $4,000/yr.
Right next to the landfill?  Close by yes, not next to.  I'd much rather live in Portola Springs than near the 5 or 405.  You do realize that a lot of people in Newport Coast and Newport Beach live near a closed landfill by the 73, right? 

markspitz11 said:
is anybody in this forum considering buying in Laguna Altura? I get the sense that every person who is posting has no intention of buying there and is just pointing out all the bad things about it (including some of my own comments).

I like the Cortona Plan 2 home. I was there last week and the price is at about $960,000. I wonder how much negotiation room I can get if I tell them I'm a cash buyer. Can I also hope for more incentives, like fully landscaped backyard and patio?

I like the Cortona Plan 2 also (esp since they added the middle loft space that Maricopa's Plan 2 in Stonegate does not have).

I just think they are priced too high.

You probably have some negotiation room especially on standing inventory but not sure if you can get landscaping.

I wonder if all-cash is a preference for new home sellers... other than a smoother escrow, I would think they tend to also want to make the referral fee or interest on borrowed money.

Yeah, I think it's over priced by at least $50-100K? I like to pay $850K for the Cortona 2, wishful thinking? And I don't think they are selling well because there were only a few homes being constructed when I was there last week. I saw an Asian lady with her old Lexus on the driveway as the only homeowner there.  There were also a lot of empty lots on the otherside of the model homes. Maybe I can buy early next year, or will there be none available by then?

Re: Newport Coast. Once Bonita Canyon starts venting excess methane from the 1960's-1980's vintage trash pile they buried there, values in the area might start to fade a bit. At least Bee Canyon is built on some pretty solid ground with close EPA supervision.

My .02c

The people who bought there did not know it then and very few people actually know about it still.

USCTrojanCPA said:
  You do realize that a lot of people in Newport Coast and Newport Beach live near a closed landfill by the 73, right? 

socalquest said:
markspitz11 said:
is anybody in this forum considering buying in Laguna Altura? I get the sense that every person who is posting has no intention of buying there and is just pointing out all the bad things about it (including some of my own comments).

I like the Cortona Plan 2 home. I was there last week and the price is at about $960,000. I wonder how much negotiation room I can get if I tell them I'm a cash buyer. Can I also hope for more incentives, like fully landscaped backyard and patio?

Mr Lin, it's finally nice to meet you.

If I'm going to spend $960k, it would be on a resale newer 3CWG elsewhere or on an 2-car garage SFR with a view lot in Quail Hill.

And even then... I'm not sure any of those choices are "worth" $960k.

I am not Mr. Lin type  :p. My wife is Asian (Chinese from the Mainland) though.

MovingOnUp said:
socalquest said:
markspitz11 said:

Then you must be Mr Linbroke. I heard a majority of the Chinese women from China are gold diggers and after a green card. Once they get one or both then they will dump you looking for a real love.

socalquest said:

MovingOnUp said:
socalquest said:
markspitz11 said:

The Mainland Chinese coming to America nowadays are usually quite well off (like through an EB-5 investor program). That's not to say there aren't any gold diggers out there wanting a green card by marrying a fat fart American and dumping him off later!

irvinehomeshopper said:
Then you must be Mr Linbroke. I heard a majority of the Chinese women from China are gold diggers and after a green card. Once they get one or both then they will dump you looking for a real love.

socalquest said:

MovingOnUp said:
socalquest said:
markspitz11 said:

good luck.  asked about all cash, etc...  no dice...  only latitude is on the "quick move in" homes.  good luck

Back