Is Larry a hypocrite?

[quote author="qhrenter"]Hypocrite seems a bit strong to me, [/quote]

Me too, but I think a lot of people are still sorting out their complex feelings.

[quote author="qhrenter"]Is it naive to hope that this forum will be as good or better than the IHB?[/quote]

I don't think so. The fourm is what the members make of it. It will be lower profile because SoCal won't be frontrunning it to sell self published books or so he/she/it can ultimately swap from being correct about the colapse of the RE bubble to being part of the problem, but hey! Is better quality or traffic?

Gimmie the brain trust every time kiddo.

I don't know the IHB guys personally, but I do think it is somewhat hypocritical to bash homebuying every day for years, and then turn around and start a business to help people buy homes.

Maybe someone could argue that they want to change the way the home-buying business is done. Which is fine, but if they believe it is financially a bad time to buy a home, does it really matter if they provide integrity, honesty, and bluntness? I don't know.

I think the forums shutting down was just a matter of time. They're trying to run a business over there now, so they don't want people posting about how it's a bad time to buy, or other realtors taking away their leads. If I were in the market for a house right now, I'd use USC or IR2, because they've earned my trust just based on the forums. The IHB guys are losing business to others on their own forums. Definitely not good business sense! And what does it say that posters on their forums have more credibility than their own recommended realtor?

FWIW, I'm glad the forums have moved and are no longer affiliated with the IHB. I hope these forums grow even bigger and better than the IHB.

[quote author="novaseline"]Gimmie the brain trust every time kiddo. [/quote]

The brain trust is why I'm hopeful.

There is no reason to assume sinister motives or devious plans to eliminate competition. I'd like to believe that people usually do what they think is right. As we don't know all the circumstances, external forces and/or other constraints they have to operate under it would be not right to just construct 'malicious' intent. Give them some credit.

[quote author="traceimage"]I don't know the IHB guys personally, but I do think it is somewhat hypocritical to bash homebuying every day for years, and then turn around and start a business to help people buy homes.

Maybe someone could argue that they want to change the way the home-buying business is done. Which is fine, but if they believe it is financially a bad time to buy a home, does it really matter if they provide integrity, honesty, and bluntness? I don't know.

I think the forums shutting down was just a matter of time. They're trying to run a business over there now, so they don't want people posting about how it's a bad time to buy, or other realtors taking away their leads. If I were in the market for a house right now, I'd use USC or IR2, because they've earned my trust just based on the forums. The IHB guys are losing business to others on their own forums. Definitely not good business sense! And what does it say that posters on their forums have more credibility than their own recommended realtor?

FWIW, I'm glad the forums have moved and are no longer affiliated with the IHB. I hope these forums grow even bigger and better than the IHB.[/quote]

I agree! Lets do our best to make this place bigger and better. I will do my best to support SoCal in this, mainly because I wasn't going to take the lead, and contribute in a more meaningful way. I got data. Let me know how I can add. I always asked IHBers what they wanted me to contribute and give me a deadline. You give me that, and I will add whatever I can that you guys and gals want.

[quote author="rsc"]There is no reason to assume sinister motives or devious plans to eliminate competition. I'd like to believe that people usually do what they think is right. As we don't know all the circumstances, external forces and/or other constraints they have to operate under it would be not right to just construct 'malicious' intent. Give them some credit.[/quote]

Hi Robert!

This is fun... guess the IHBer.

I knew I should have signed up as PANDA. I can run a mean impersonation of him... who knows... he may already be here.

<cue spooky music>

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]This is fun... guess the IHBer.

I knew I should have signed up as PANDA. I can run a mean impersonation of him... who knows... he may already be here.

<cue spooky music>[/quote]

Damn the hourly exalt button. LOL!

[quote author="staggerlee"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]This is fun... guess the IHBer.

<cue spooky music>[/quote]
You want spooky? How's this for spooky?[/quote]

I see. On the spot name changes are spooky!

Because now I can without fear of getting banned.

Sorry to those who have seen these before:

128837780303388173.jpg

128837788129920698.jpg

Yes, I met Shevy. Yes, I was annoyed that he had no idea who I was and kept talking to me like I hadn't been reading real estate blogs for years. Yes, I got tired of saying "yeah, I know" over and over. Yes, I found it amusing to watch Shevy's body language when T-man, who was sitting with us, finally chimed in with "yeah, I know, I'm an agent, too." "Oh, you are?" LOL!

Yes, I think he needed to grow a pair, answer the valid questions that were being asked about him, and show up for the conversation and contribute.

Deuce and T-man got business partly because they were actually helping and answering questions. We got a whole lotta crickets from Mr. SexyTime.

Okay, I feel better.

I still think there is some external forces at work here. We all know that zovall and IR feel that the IHB community is important (or at least I hope so) and for them to do something as abrupt like this without at least discussing it with the mods (or maybe they did) or at the last IHB meet-up (again... maybe that happened) seems kind of odd.

Why even have an IHB meet-up if you're going to nerf the biggest part of that community? Sure, you can say it's for the blog commenters but most of those people are non-locals so the meet-ups are usually filled with forum regulars.

I'm just a bit concerned about all the smoke and mirrors because I don't think we are getting the full story here and in the past, zov and IR have usually been upfront about things... isn't that why we became IHB members in the first place?

What happened? I check my email account from Cancun and I see this? What happened to IrvineRenter and Zovall? I will be missing those guys. IrvineRenter and Zovall if you guys are reading, thank you for the great experience i had in the past 2 years on IHB. I would of never met some of the wonderful people I've met without the portal Zovall started nor would i have been able to learn so much about the city i am so passionate about. Zovall, I truly wish you, Irvine Renter, and Shevy the best in your new brokerage venture. None of us would be here as a group if it weren't for what Zovall and Irvine Renter started. Let us not forget that.

Sometimes change is a very good thing.

Panda

[quote author="garrison"]
[quote author="Trooper"]Who are you tyr? You obviously are a long time IHB'r, or you wouldn't know that Eval has come and gone a few times. Why afraid to put up your IHB name?[/quote]

If I was a betting man, tyr = awgee. Same tone and intonation (that you can glean from the written word <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) --> )

If so, just man up awgee....what do you have now, some sort of financial tie to IHB?[/quote]
I don't think it's Awgee. There are certain words that Awgee always spells incorrectly, and those particular words are spelled correctly in tyr's posts.

Although I will say that Awgee has to be on these forums. He won't be able to stay away.

[quote author="qhrenter"]
[quote author="novaseline"]Gimmie the brain trust every time kiddo. [/quote]

The brain trust is why I'm hopeful.[/quote]

me too.

I am also quite curious to read their reasoning for shutting the IHB boards. It seems to me that it was quite a small minority of people who read the main blog who made it down into the forums.

I am not sure who tyr is either. Having some ideas though.

But this quotation says something.

It needs to have a reason to exist other than the virtual lynching of Larry and Zovall.

He is obviously still very sympathetic to the old IHB.
Thats a big CLUE.

And FYI. Its not a Lynching. Its not an old girlfriend. Those are really crappy analogies in my opinion.

Its more like a Tailgate party in a public stadium. Its on public property. And now one of the first organizers wants to try and commercialize the tailgate. Its NEVER going to make money for the guy. But he thinks it is. Now he blows off all his friends that made the tailgate so popular in the first place. Now all he has is an empty Motor home and some flashy banner. The only reason we came here in the first place was to see and discuss the game.

Whoever TYR is he is still drinking the same IHB Kool-Aid that says these guys are going to be great Realtors when they cant even maintain the interpersonal skills necessary to maintain a simple forum that they now want to blame for their poor business plan not coming to fruition.

The little kids taking their marbles and going home is the best analogy. Because the people that want to play marbles will go on without them.

And from the looks of things. Like out of the top 20 posters on the IHB Forum. A very large percentage have immigrated already within 48 hours.

For those of you who may have migrated without reading the announcment, this is what zovall posted on the IHB:

Hello all,

After much deliberation, we have decided to shut down the forums. There are several reasons for doing so. Part of it has to do with not wanting to spend any more time managing it (and those of you who have been putting out fires for years behind the scenes - Thank You BTW! - know exactly how much time it takes) and another part of it has to do with wanting to make a large number of changes (some of which are business related).

The forums started out without any business motivation and pretty much as a self policing community. Things have changed quite a bit over the years and my main regret about shutting things down is the community aspect. SoCal78 has generously created a new set of forums (completely non-business sponsored) so that the community can pick up there. Please visit and sign up:
http://www.talkirvine.com/

The IHB forums will become Read Only this Friday (12/4). Please use the next few days to exchange contact info with your friends and save off any info from your PMs. On Friday, PMs will not be available any more.

As for our future plans, IR and I would like to relaunch the forums at some point but there are many things we need to consider before we do. If/When we do, it will be very different from what it is right now and it will be clear that it is an extension of our brokerage business.

It has been great meeting many of you and I do hope you have enjoyed the past (almost) 3 years that the forums have been around. It's been quite a ride and we wish everyone all the best.

Thank you,
zovall
Again... it does seem like there was more to it than "Let's screw the forum community". I really think they care about the community (hence the nod to this new place) but there were things that made them close it.

Maybe one day we'll find out the whole story.

Based on the rapid transition away from IHB, it is very clear that the forum members are loyal to the COMMUNITY, not to IHB. I'm pretty sure it would not have been that way a year ago. It appears that many of the forum members are bordering on gleeful to disassociate themselves from the new IHB brand, just as much as IHB is eager to distance themselves from the forum members. So the break was probably for the best. The forum members no longer identify with new iteration of IHB, and IHB no longer identifies with the forum members.

So I'm ready to move on. Can't wait to see the TI real estate section get going. And who knows, perhaps TI will end up beating IHB at its own game --- generating real estate leads ---without that even being to core goal of this website. Will be interesting to watch that play out.

Back