Is Larry a hypocrite?

At some point in time the boards expense and upkeep were going to doom the IHB. It's not self supportive either through commissions paid or commercials posted.

The IHB did generate 3 closed deals for me. I did not consider it a business resource, but after posting, posting, posting, some readers developed a trust level in the information I was presenting and decided to reach out to me. These leads were an added bonus to the back and forth information sharing. Trust me when I tell you, I have had many more off line questions about x, y, and z to help IHB members than I ever had in real deals.

Had there been more input and interaction from the IHB hosts I'm sure the business would have come their way as well. I don't consider the IHB owners anything but realists.

[quote author="staggerlee"]
[quote author="tyr"]BTW, I'd appreciate it if others refrain from speculating on my identity. It's not fair to the people who aren't here to defend themselves. My opinions are my own. You can interact with me based on who I present myself to be here on TI -- not who you might imagine me to have been on IHB.[/quote]

whatever you say, Nude. <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->[/quote]

I'll lay whatever action you want at 25-1 it ain't Nude.

The one thing I noticed once they decided to do the other IHB is they contributed less to the forums. IR used to be in there quite a bit but has tapered off lately.

Shouldn't he instead have been in there keeping up the communication so they earn the forumers' trust? And not having Shevy post was a big mistake in my opinion. He claimed in a post long ago that it was on purpose but if you can't handle yourself on the web... do I really want you representing me in a $1mil+ transaction?

I like Larry and Zov quite a bit and really appreciate their efforts with the IHB (IR's daily posts alone are a great testament to his work ethic because I don't think there are many of us who can keep up that kind of output). I don't really know the real reason why they are closing the IHB forums, but I do think they underestimate the effects doing so. But, at least they did help start TalkIrvine with SoCal78.

Methinks they will have the same type of regrets when they initially announced the other IHB but unlike that blog post, you can't un-post it or restructure it... once a community has moved... it's pretty much gone (I've already experienced that in another forum).

For all we know, they are working on some deal that required them to shutter the forums.

I'm not going to post any personal judgements on Larry or Zov, live and let live. But I'll say this (and I said it on IHB forums a couple weeks ago) --- that main blog becomes weirder by the day.

Larry's posts sometimes read to me like they are fighting some sort of an internal struggle --- like an odd hybrid of bear and bull in a cage match. The commentors have become much more limited, and their commentary borders on bizarre anti gov't rantings. Not that I entirely disagree all the time, but I'm also sure not going to trust the single biggest personal financial transaction I'll ever make to people who associate with fringe characters. And lastly, the whole visual presentation of the main blog page becoming atrocious. Too much going on, and in particular the seemingly unending variations of the "IHB" logo floating all over the place. Pick one logo and stick with it --- that's called branding. The whole page needs to be cleaned up. Until they get the main blog back on track (and more professionally presented), I think its going t be an uphill climb. If I go to the IHB site and then to an established site (Coldwell Banker/First Team etc) there is just no comparison.

Anyway...too bad the way it worked out. But that's ok, change is a good thing.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]For all we know, they are working on some deal that required them to shutter the forums.[/quote]

That makes the most sense of all the speculation so far, although CK's observation of "borderline schizophrenia" by Larry here in the last couple of months is also accurate.

Can I say "moron" here or is that out of bounds?

[quote author="tyr"] Need unlimited karma to give, please.[/quote]

Sorry about that. I'm looking in to it now. So far it looks like the waiting period is deliberate so that somebody can not abusively hit another person with the smite-club, so to speak, i.e. smite someone ten times in a minute. Unfortunately, I haven't come across a way to adjust the time period, but if I do, I'll go ahead and lower it.

Ok, not Awgee and definitely not Nude (I'd double that bet no_vas), but at least we're off to an interesting start with some unknowns posting their views of the blog. I definitely noticed that the blog has become harder to read and a bit schizophrenic.

[quote author="bltserv"]

Back in April when Trooper left and the whole melt down happened.

[/quote]

What meltdown? Why did Trooper leave? Come on..... don't leave us out in the cold. That would be mean. ;D

[quote author="tyr"]There's a lot of hostility here, and my sole point is that it's misplaced -- it's anger about change, about being abandoned, about a community dying, about friends being lost. All completely understandable. But it's being projected on Larry and Zovall. I'm not defending their business judgment -- that will happen on its own merits -- but I am trying to defend their character. I suspect you'd agree with me on that? [/quote]

Absolutely not. The curtain is ripped back, and all of a sudden, the Wizard (who loves to skewer Realtards who can't spell in their MLS listings) is naked with one of the Minions and a Realtard (who can't spell in their MLS listings). Irony? Nah. Duplicity. We were had.

Somehow "Sellout" doesn't quite describe it, but it gets close. Missed the "used and abused" meme tho.

Just a thought, we have plenty of feedback from people who worked with T-Man and SGIP; has anyone ever worked with Larry or Shevy? Has anyone seen any reviews on the main page?

[quote author="roundcorners"]Just a thought, we have plenty of feedback from people who worked with T-Man and SGIP; has anyone ever worked with Larry or Shevy? Has anyone seen any reviews on the main page?[/quote]

No. Tune in next week for:

- They don't sell anything.

or

- Silence is deafening, huh?

Why. Did. The. Chicken. Cross. The Road?

I hope those thread names remain shown altogether as the most recently posted to, when the forums close down. Too funny!

The only thing funnier is our matching avatars of the Ed Hardy wearing douchebag Jon and his ballbusting ex Kate...

[quote author="evalseraphim"] As much as I appreciate this site, the proof will be in the pudding. We have already had one well known person drop from it and others indicate that they will not be joining us here at all. [/quote]

Did Nude drop? Why is he a guest now?

[quote author="novaseline"]The only thing funnier is our matching avatars of the Ed Hardy wearing douchebag Jon and his ballbusting ex Kate...[/quote]

I couldn't resist after seeing yours! I've never watched that show but I get pretty irritated when their mugs are posted all over the gossip blogs and magazines.

[quote author="novaseline"]
[quote author="tyr"]There's a lot of hostility here, and my sole point is that it's misplaced -- it's anger about change, about being abandoned, about a community dying, about friends being lost. All completely understandable. But it's being projected on Larry and Zovall. I'm not defending their business judgment -- that will happen on its own merits -- but I am trying to defend their character. I suspect you'd agree with me on that? [/quote]

Absolutely not. The curtain is ripped back, and all of a sudden, the Wizard (who loves to skewer Realtards who can't spell in their MLS listings) is naked with one of the Minions and a Realtard (who can't spell in their MLS listings). Irony? Nah. Duplicity. We were had.

Somehow "Sellout" doesn't quite describe it, but it gets close. Missed the "used and abused" meme tho.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly novas.

The emperor wears no clothes...

[quote author="tmare"]Ok, not Awgee and definitely not Nude (I'd double that bet no_vas) ... [/quote]

Agreed. Both were capable of not contradicting themselves in the same post, and they were able to remember what they wrote from post to post.

And they didn't play the victim, either.

[quote author="Sunshine"]
[quote author="novaseline"]The only thing funnier is our matching avatars of the Ed Hardy wearing douchebag Jon and his ballbusting ex Kate...[/quote]

I couldn't resist after seeing yours! I've never watched that show but I get pretty irritated when their mugs are posted all over the gossip blogs and magazines.[/quote]

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2009/04/13/124-hating-people-who-wear-ed-hardy/

I read SWPL for a couple of years, but I resisted the whole Ed Hardy thing for a good long time. Can't fight the truth. So, I picked the second (maybe third) biggest douchebag I could think of and I got lucky. He's got quite the wardrobe.

Plus House gave up the vics so you know the series is over. My foot, however, still hurts. And I'm still the big meanie.

[quote author="tyr"]
[quote author="evalseraphim"]Anger, misinterpretation, personal attacks... Who are you?[/quote]

Are you saying that I've displayed these things? Where?[/quote]

Why, right here:

[quote author="tyr"]Wipes all the quotes and starts over...

The anger is misplaced because what people are feeling doesn't have to be the reality. In other words, people are overestimating the collateral damage of zovall's announcement and they are lashing out unnecessarily. Hypocrites? Duplicity? Really?

It appears that we disagree on whether or not a community that generally wants to remain together can do so in spite of the admin's retirement? I think it can. You seem to think it can't. (Otherwise, why point out my naive understanding of the difficulties involved?) Your evidence is one member, who has retired and unretired several times under multiple names, indicating that he's going to sit this one out. Yet even during it's heyday, IHB regulars came and went like the tides. Even you. This is your third go-round, right?

So maybe time will tell. Either TalkIrvine survives and thrives, and I'm right. Or it dies, and you're right. Except that if it dies, no one will be around to read your "I told you so" thread.

Indeed, just like old times. I suppose.[/quote]

And also not long after you asked "Where?"

Maybe you saw a new face and decided to get some licks in. Sure seems like it.

Sallying forth...

If people are angry, be angry at the situation. But my personal belief -- and I'm not imposing this on others -- is that there's no reason to be angry.

I'm willing to believe you, it's just that it is at odds with what you were saying earlier.

Umm, so we agree then? Because I think that's essentially what I said, albeit with different words. Most of the regulars are here...plus a couple of new faces and a few familiar ones from the past...TI's success is in its own hands.

I'm not sure what we are possibly agreeing on, so I will say, "maybe." If you are referring to the forum move, I refer you to my previous response.

It was actually rather painless, and Zovall was kind to provide the link and some advanced notice of the changeover.

I will leave determination of the pain quotient up to the SoCals, the ones who sacrificed their time to try to save the community and give it a new home.

If you want to be an apologist for the guys, that's fine. Don't be surprised if people disagree with you, though.

Hypocrite seems a bit strong to me, but I can see why people would feel that way. I don't particularly understand or agree with their decision to close the IHB forum, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of reading IR's writing on the blog over the years so I wish him and Zovall well in their new venture.

Is it naive to hope that this forum will be as good or better than the IHB?

Back