[IHB] API & Equity

IHS - what area do you live in?  i dont know why you keep it ambiguous, afterall its just an area and nothing to identify you..

locolocal said:
qwerty said:
So what do all of these incredibly smart asians become once they graduate from college?  i rarely see asians in management positions. do they just become behind the scenes engineers? doctors? lawyers?

What an astute observation!  I graduated from an Irvine high school many moons ago.  Even back then it was still one of the top ranked public high schools in California despite my AP classes only being 50% Asian.  You would think by now my classmates would be political leaders, CEOs or have achieved some high profile recognition, but that's not the case (not counting the handful that have made the papers after their arrests).  By any other standard they are successful; they have a decent career, a family and were able to find happiness. 

Interestingly I would say a majority of my high school friends I keep in contact with have moved out of California for good.  They don't feel like this is the place to raise their family.

How many of those asians in your AP class do you think are working minimum wage? Any of them working at a fast food joint?

I'd bet the majority have incomes exceeding Irvine's current median income. I wouldn't make that bet on any other group. 

btw, asians unfortunately aren't raised to go into politics. this is one of our downfalls...we're raised to chase money.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Their Irvine childhood must had been extremely traumatic to drive them all out of states.
Not traumatic at all.  Just not economical to stay in the location where they wanted to live.  I'm talking about people with graduate degrees.  I know a lot of people who couldn't justify staying in Southern California even with their low six figure income.  Student loans add up.  If you didn't get a scholarship or have relatives who could help you out, that debt becomes overwhelming.  Add that to the the cost of buying a house in a decent location, it's not difficult to see why many people chose to move to Texas or Colorado.

MovingOnUp said:
How many of those asians in your AP class do you think are working minimum wage? Any of them working at a fast food joint?

I'd bet the majority have incomes exceeding Irvine's current median income. I wouldn't make that bet on any other group. 

btw, asians unfortunately aren't raised to go into politics. this is one of our downfalls...we're raised to chase money.

I'm not saying that they don't have good jobs.  I'm saying you don't find too many at the top of their profession.  There are no people like Sergei Bren, Marc Zukerberg, Spencer Rascoff, Andrew Mason, etc. from my high school.

Where I live is not important. What is important is that I am familiar with many neighborhoods in the city. Will a 4 car garage be enough of a hint? My kid is currently #3 of the class at an Irvine High School. From my front door to the Spectrum phallic statue takes exactly 12-1/2 minutes.

rkp said:
IHS - what area do you live in?  i dont know why you keep it ambiguous, afterall its just an area and nothing to identify you..

What a minute! Paying premium to live in Irvine is all for the schools.  And now you are telling me all your Irvine graduate friends are no body and don't Even make enough to support a quality of life in California? I was under the impression that kids will go to Ivy League and make a lot of money then come back home to help me pay off my mortgage and fund my retirement. Then please tell me what was your advantage growing up in Irvine and attended the local school? Are you rich?

locolocal said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Their Irvine childhood must had been extremely traumatic to drive them all out of states.
Not traumatic at all.  Just not economical to stay in the location where they wanted to live.  I'm talking about people with graduate degrees.  I know a lot of people who couldn't justify staying in Southern California even with their low six figure income.  Student loans add up.  If you didn't get a scholarship or have relatives who could help you out, that debt becomes overwhelming.  Add that to the the cost of buying a house in a decent location, it's not difficult to see why many people chose to move to Texas or Colorado.

Exactly. What's the point of paying $900,000+ to live in Laguna Altura, send your kids to Uni High, and they end up attending UCI or CSU Fullerton because they aren't in the top 5% of the class?

IndieDev said:
Exactly. What's the point of paying $900,000+ to live in Laguna Altura, send your kids to Uni High, and they end up attending UCI or CSU Fullerton because they aren't in the top 5% of the class?

i think the problem here is that the alternatives arent much cheaper.  if you want something new or built in last 5 years in neighboring OC cities, you are paying less but not dramatically less.  we saw homes in ladera ranch and loved them but with the higher MR and constant need for tolls (inlaws take care of baby), the difference felt like 5-10% in price. 

sure schools is an easy reason to say you want irvine but data shows many areas with similar school ratings.  i think many move for location as well and you might think an extra 20 minutes is trivial but for my LA family and friends, it changes the drive from under an hour to over an hour.  that plays a big difference psychologically.  my parents definitely dont think twice about driving 45-55 minutes but over an hour and they try to group their visits with other stuff in OC. 

to clarify, i mean irvine in general.  i really dont know Laguna Altura and am comparing WB to Ladera....

rkp said:
IndieDev said:

i think the problem here is that the alternatives arent much cheaper.  if you want something new or built in last 5 years in neighboring OC cities, you are paying less but not dramatically less.  we saw homes in ladera ranch and loved them but with the higher MR and constant need for tolls (inlaws take care of baby), the difference felt like 5-10% in price. 

sure schools is an easy reason to say you want irvine but data shows many areas with similar school ratings.  i think many move for location as well and you might think an extra 20 minutes is trivial but for my LA family and friends, it changes the drive from under an hour to over an hour.  that plays a big difference psychologically.  my parents definitely dont think twice about driving 45-55 minutes but over an hour and they try to group their visits with other stuff in OC.

I think with Pat Star's legendary theory on "good schools" in Irvine we can safely establish that there are other alternatives with similarly rated schools all over OC (unless you're an Irvine housewife like kalbi who carries Uni Highs graduation statistics in her pocket all day).

I think the the commute question is fairly trivial as well. Consider this scenario, two cars driving from Santa Monica, one travelling to Irvine in Portola Springs or even Woodbury, and one travelling to the Laguna Audubon neighborhood of Aliso Viejo, who is going to get home first? To be honest, I think the Aliso Viejo car will edge out the PS car by a comfortable margin, and would be in a dead even heat with a car going to WB.

I think if your comparable city is Ladera Ranch, then you have a valid commute concern, but then I'd ask why not move further north to a nicer neighborhood with good schools (some better than Irvine) but have cheaper per sqft pricing than WB; Cerritos, Rossmoor, some areas of Fountain Valley.

IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:

I think with Pat Star's legendary theory on "good schools" in Irvine we can safely establish that there are other alternatives with similarly rated schools all over OC (unless you're an Irvine housewife like kalbi who carries Uni Highs graduation statistics in her pocket all day).

There you go with your assumptions yet again. I am not a housewife.  As for Uni High graduation statistics, it's called Google.  Time and time again, you make conclusory statements with nothing to back them up with.  I merely googled some stats to show the inaccuracies of your statements.

irvinehomeshopper said:
What a minute! Paying premium to live in Irvine is all for the schools.  And now you are telling me all your Irvine graduate friends are no body and don't Even make enough to support a quality of life in California? I was under the impression that kids will go to Ivy League and make a lot of money then come back home to help me pay off my mortgage and fund my retirement. Then please tell me what was your advantage growing up in Irvine and attended the local school? Are you rich?

I bought in Irvine so my friends and family would think I'm successful but in reality I'm not... I also bought here because I wanted to be closer to 85 degrees  :-\

kalbi said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:

There you go with your assumptions yet again. I am not a housewife.  As for Uni High graduation statistics, it's called Google.  Time and time again, you make conclusory statements with nothing to back them up with.  I merely googled some stats to show the inaccuracies of your statements.

Then how are you able to follow me around all day? Does your overbearing Korean husband know about this?

I know you relied on Google for most of your information, most laymen do. But you didn't find the exact year I was referring to when I mentioned Uni High, you only brought up another graduation year, and then made a correlation. That's not exactly "proving" anything.

IndieDev said:
kalbi said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:

Then how are you able to follow me around all day? Does your overbearing Korean husband know about this?

I know you relied on Google for most of your information, most laymen do. But you didn't find the exact year I was referring to when I mentioned Uni High, you only brought up another graduation year, and then made a correlation. That's not exactly "proving" anything.

according to your logic, you must be a house husband then? how are you on here all day then. right. you are one smart rich guy.
and overbearing? you are more overbearing than any korean man i know. stop with your personal attacks.  you know nothing about my husband. 

as for the post about uni statistics, look back at it. i pulled the year that you referenced but you AGAIN conveniently changed your statement. 

i have to give you this though, you are surely an entertaining douche lord.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Where I live is not important. What is important is that I am familiar with many neighborhoods in the city. Will a 4 car garage be enough of a hint? My kid is currently #3 of the class at an Irvine High School. From my front door to the Spectrum phallic statue takes exactly 12-1/2 minutes.

rkp said:

Irvine High School
12 ? minutes to get to the Spectrum
Sounds like Woodbury to me.
Are you sure that ?4 car? garage isn?t a 3 car tandem? ;)

That 12.5 minute time is in the middle of the night when there is no other cars on the road.

#3 at an Irvine school huh? What happened to that plan for a non-Irvine charter school? Maybe all that Kumon, extra studying, piano lessons etc. comes from personal experience. :D

irvinehomeowner said:
That 12.5 minute time is in the middle of the night when there is no other cars on the road.

#3 at an Irvine school huh? What happened to that plan for a non-Irvine charter school? Maybe all that Kumon, extra studying, piano lessons etc. comes from personal experience. :D

Tiger Dad?

I like the Last Unicorn pic, nice touch

irvinehomeowner said:

What if the kid decides to go to UCI?
Do you disown them for not meeting those lofty, self-imposed standards?

Intelligence is based on gene and no need for Kumons. My kid could have been #1 with the tiger mom tool kit. Just did it again 12-1/2 minutes an hour ago.

Back