[IHB] API & Equity

irvinehomeshopper said:
Sounded like Santa Ana's MaterDei came to the rescue!
It definitely wasn't the brutal cut throat student world you described above.  There were some great authentic mexican places to eat within walking distance of school.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Miserable! Harvard dream shattered. Dreading that license plate frame that reads " Parent of UCI student".

That was a very insightful and sobering post.
I like the fact that you didn?t pull any punches.
A lot of parents are concerned with many of those issues whiched you touched upon.
Rather than rolling over we made a choice to do the best we can and see what develops.
Overcoming challenges and obstacles is a part of life and we feel that you fail by not trying. 

irvinehomeshopper said:
So how many of you have children in high school or about college bound? You are all shopping for schools like your kids are the future scholars. Let me paint you a more realistic picture. Your kids will come home with mostly B's and C grade by the time they attend high schools. The competitions are really tough. Are you the tiger parents who will quit your job just to drive your kids from Kumon to Sylvan to Oxford to Chinese Cultural Center to Swimming to Piano Tutor to volunteering service to CTY John Hopkins then to all the after school sports and or orchestra and band practice. The answer is no because both parents need the income to pay for mortgage, MR and HOA. You are already at a disadvantage when coming to giving your kids the proper tool to succeed in the top Irvine schools.

The straight As kids are trained like Chinese Gymnasts from toddlers just to kick your kids ass in all curriculums. These kids start at zero period at 7 am in the morning then continue to 2:30pm. The parents will cut you off in the parking lot because they must pick up their kids to get to Oxford tutoring by 3pm then back to school by 4:30 for athletic team or orchestra practice. They will then be rushed home for dinner with meal already prepared by grand parents. Piano lessons begin at 7 and must be home by 8:30 for homeworks and studying. These kids stay up pass midnight and the next day cycle begin at 7am at school.

Summer meant no vacation. More tutoring and SAT for the next academic year or some volunteer services in a  3rd world country. if the kid has student government then more time away from home to take care of school businesses.

These super kids will shame just about any average kids and this type of pressure is no joke.

If you feel like a loser compared to Indies wealth and demeanor. A $100k or even $200k means nothing to him. Do you have any idea to the magnitude of his remodel while you are just shopping for your modest little cookie jar? This is just mild compared for what your children having to go through feeling like a loser compared to the well nurtured academic scholars in their school.

And it's post like this that make me proud to call IHS my brother.

IndieDev said:
And it's post like this that make me proud to call IHS my brother.

I think that?s great.
Since you lived in Irvine and recently moved.
How did you and your family handle it?
Hopefully, you?ll weigh in and share your perspective as well.

Ugh! The pressure of parenting in Irvine, or for that matter any 10 API school district. It's never enough. No matter what you do for the kid, there is always a Korean kid doing all that and much more. Music, Martial Arts, Chess, Kumon and Debate. I know a lot of kids who do all that and still manage straight As. Oh, these kids also go to church and take some classes over there. Wait, that's not all, they even managed to watch Glee and iCarly! IHS, you are right. The cool parents who are content with straight As and some music and martial arts/ sports should be prepared to buy that UCI license plate.

When we lived in Fremont, there was a shopping complex near our house, and I would see women with kids in their strollers walking into a 'store'. I didn't know what that place was, but I figured out that it was some 'mommy and me' class. Then, when I was in between jobs, I decided to take my 'stroller' and join the ladies in whatever they were doing. Turns out they were taking the kids to a Kumon class..It starts that early! I would rather teach them to walk and run in the park at that age, but then I will probably be OK with UCI license plate too :)

Doesn't this stress translate into behavior problems, or addictions?

the one thing that was striking to us is that most of Woodbury elementary is asian but when we drove around the parks, whether weekend or weekdays, we mainly saw white kids playing and very few asian kids.  i guess they are all really studying

i get what IHS is saying but i imagine one can go to an irvine school and be a good student with As while not having the massive pressure and ultra competitive environment.  sure top of the class will have that but the very near top doesnt necessarily have to.  i went to a gifted magnet in LAUSD full of korean kids who did the whole after school kumon, violin, and numerous things and i did just fine with almost all As and never had any after school stuff outside of sports

for actual parents with kids in irvine schools, what is the real deal?

RKP- looks like my daughter is following your footsteps. She knows where the playground in the neighborhood is, and knows the kids that bicycle in the neighborhood, but she has still managed her As and is a GATE student. A little bit of music and a little bit of martial arts too, but never any academics outside school. She is doing good so far, but High School will be a real test. But almost every kid we know does four or more activities, and excels mostly in all of them.

Real deal? When two Irvine mommies meet, we don't discuss the beige of the boxes we live in. Its' mostly what our kids are doing, their grades, and the hard work we put in to bring them so far. It's hard out there for a parent whose kid got a B+.

Competitive asian moms are some of the worst people on the planet.

I know an asian mom who was so proud her son was crawling, she let him crawl on the dirty ass ground, while he licked car tires, and who knows what else just to show me and the wife how "advanced" he was.

Crying out loud.

Patrick J. Star said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
Doesn't this stress translate into behavior problems, or addictions?

You've never heard of "Northweed" High School?  I heard very reliable accounts of Northwood students dealing INSIDE the gates in Northwood Pointe.  Now, that's not a dig on Irvine --- that stuff happens everywhere.  But if any parent thinks that just living in Irvine is going to make your child immune, think again.  Irvine is not a bubble. 

I can always remember back in high school, the wildest kids were always those of the pastors and other hardcore church types.  Their daugthers were the ones all the guys wanted to date.  Kids who are too oppressed will act out.  Period.

There goes my dream of moving to the other side of Culver :)
Frankly, I didn't know about "Northweed". Thanks for the info..

So what do all of these incredibly smart asians become once they graduate from college?  i rarely see asians in management positions. do they just become behind the scenes engineers? doctors? lawyers?

qwerty said:
So what do all of these incredibly smart asians become once they graduate from college?  i rarely see asians in management positions. do they just become behind the scenes engineers? doctors? lawyers?

Pretty much since social skills were never developed in the childhood years.  If you notice most of the people in upper management have strong social skills and a circle of 'friends' they cultivated through the years. 

qwerty said:

There's about 15 asian guys (mostly korean) in my circle and we all grew up together. Here's what they're doing now in our early 30's.

1 - Doctor
4 - Lawyer
3 - Private equity, research analyst
1 - Investment banking
3 - entrepeneurs/small business owners (import export, gas station)
2 - Still working at the big 4
2 - including myself in regular companies as middle management (director level)

davenlei said:
qwerty said:

Pretty much since social skills were never developed in the childhood years.  If you notice most of the people in upper management have strong social skills and a circle of 'friends' they cultivated through the years. 

yeah, any one is is great at something (school, etc) becomes great by giving up something, in these kids, it does appear to be social skills.

MovingOnUp said:
2 - Still working at the big 4

so these guys must be senior managers?  i think there was on asian partner in the whole LA office when i was there.  it was actually interesting because a good chunk of the staff level was asian, and the higher up the ladder you went the less asians there were. the majority of the partners were white men.

irvinehomeshopper said:
We hide behind a blog personna and practice our social skill. We vent our frustration by killing trolls on Warcrafts.

You forgot to add our imaginary/virtual friends that complete our social circle.

Cubic Zirconia said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
We hide behind a blog personna and practice our social skill. We vent our frustration by killing trolls on Warcrafts.

You forgot to add our imaginary/virtual friends that complete our social circle.

This thread is a virtual town hall equivalent.

Back