ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Speaking of oil, looks like the high gas prices were greed and profit after all.

I don't want to fill those pockets anymore.
I'm glad you are finding good non-profit options in the electric space. Elon has dropped to second richest person in the world, so that proves there's no greed involved when supporting him with your Tesla purchase! Just ask the enslaved African children mining the batteries.

I agree with your if SCE pays 1:1 ratio vs solar credit then i would not make a difference. But the way i understand it is that SCE charges more per kwh than what they credit you. For example,
10kwh drawn from SCE would cost me $3.2. But if my solar produces the same 10kwh, I would get only $2.4 based on 4:3 ratio due to fees, surcharges…That’s what my solar friend explained to me. Maybe he didnt know any better 🤓.
Under NEM 2.0:

If a SCE customer uses 5000 kWh in a year and generates 5000 kWh with solar then they owe nothing (beyond standard SCE fees).

If a SCE customer uses 6000 kWh in a year and generates 5000 kWh with solar they owe SCE for 1000kWh at the end of the year.

If a SCE customer uses 5000kWh in a year and generates 6000kWh then SCE owes the customer for 1000kWh at the end of the year. SCE pays out at roughly 10% of the retail rate and the payment is either a rollover bill credit or a check.

I know you hate DM but they are one of the only ones brave enough to publish stuff like this…Nobody cares about this stuff here…This is the cost of all this Green new deal crap and EV’s…But you feel better about yourself…

The shaming images that show where our iPhones, laptops and Tesla cars REALLY come from: The truth about the Congolese mines where kids are paid $2-a-day to dig for cobalt

· Images from the Shabara mine and others in the Democratic Republic of Congo show young children mining

· They dig for cobalt, the chemical element that is used in almost every tech product on the market today

· Apple, Tesla, Samsung and Microsoft are the other end of the complex supply chain

For years, big tech companies like Apple and Tesla have assured the customers of their glossy stores and showrooms that all their goods are ethically sourced and sold.

But a new series of images taken from inside mines in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where 90 percent of the world's cobalt is mined and used to make the batteries that power our tech-led lives, raise uncomfortable questions.

Cobalt is the chemical element found in almost every tech gadget that uses a lithium-powered battery on the market today - a smartphone, tablet or laptop requires a few grams of it, while an electric vehicle requires 10kg.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ic-Republic-Congo-power-Apple-Tesla-more.html

I'm glad you are finding good non-profit options in the electric space. Elon has dropped to second richest person in the world, so that proves there's no greed involved when supporting him with your Tesla purchase! Just ask the enslaved African children mining the batteries.
So now who is trying to distract from the main issue?

Glad you were okay paying for that summer blend that really wasn't all that expensive... and those extra refinement costs that were also a lie.

And nice try on attempting to Elon-shame me... I don't like him either... I only like that Tesla is leading the way (and it appears their latest discounts is causing other EVs to discount to). My next EV will NOT be a Tesla.

I guess you are sticking in the mud like morekoas... EVs are the future... give up your landline!!

Yeah, I have and installed the Emporia Vue energy monitor before I got solar installed. Kind of fun to see how much energy things take if you're a data nerd. I believe SCE offers a $25 rebate so it comes out to only $15 in the end (https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/collections/emporia-products/products/utility-connect or Amazon). If you have solar and Enphase though, I'd say it's more convenient to see consumption and generation all in one app.

Regarding Enphase consumption monitoring, installers generally fall into 3 camps. A.) They install it by default B.) They ask you if you want it and charge you extra for it C.) They don't even ask if you want it and don't install it. It's such a cheap part and easy install (for the installer) that it really out to be installed by default IMO.
I used Elevation Solar, and they installed their Curb monitoring system and I can see various consumption, but it doesn't seem to have the complete breakdown. But it seems to be sufficient, though. I do see EV charger, fridge, AC, oven, dishwasher, laundry GFI, kitchen GFI and GFI2, master bedroom, irrigation/water heater/garage, FAU (don't know what this is), and Other.

I guess since Elevation already installed their own monitoring system, they opted with option C for me. But somehow, even though they didn't install it for my brother, they left him the sensors.

Uh oh @morekaos ... unicorn is prime time!

According to data compiled by Focus to Move, electric vehicles, more specifically the Tesla Model Y and Model 3, have entered the top 10 best-selling electric vehicles in the world:

1. Toyota Corolla: 1.12 million (down 2% vs last year)
  2. Toyota RAV4: 870,000 (down 14% versus last year)
  3. Ford F-Series: 787,000 (down 9% versus last year)
  4. Tesla Model Y: 759,000 (up 88% versus last year)
  5. Toyota Camry: 675,000 (down 3% versus last year)
  6. Honda CR-V: 601,000 (down 18% versus last year)
  7. Tesla Model 3: 596,000 (up 4% versus last year)
As you can see, Toyota remains dominant with three models within the top five best-selling passenger vehicles in the world.

However, every single model in the top 10 is down year-over-year except for Tesla’s two vehicles.

On top of it, by revenue, the Tesla Model Y takes the first stop since it averaged a sale price of over $55,000 for most of the year.

Under NEM 2.0:

If a SCE customer uses 5000 kWh in a year and generates 5000 kWh with solar then they owe nothing (beyond standard SCE fees).

If a SCE customer uses 6000 kWh in a year and generates 5000 kWh with solar they owe SCE for 1000kWh at the end of the year.

If a SCE customer uses 5000kWh in a year and generates 6000kWh then SCE owes the customer for 1000kWh at the end of the year. SCE pays out at roughly 10% of the retail rate and the payment is either a rollover bill credit or a check.
Until NEM3.0 starts in April. NEM3.0, retail rates for flow in, some bizarre avoided costs for flow out (which is I think is regulatory speak for wholesale average generation cost)

So 30 cents in, 5 cents out.

Until NEM3.0 starts in April. NEM3.0, retail rates for flow in, some bizarre avoided costs for flow out (which is I think is regulatory speak for wholesale average generation cost)

So 30 cents in, 5 cents out.
Everyone who currently has solar is under NEM 2.0 (or NEM 1.0 if you installed before June 2015) for a long time. If someone is considering solar they should try to get the deal done before April if possible (probably not possible if you haven’t started the process).

Last edited:
Meh, ICE, EV, hybrid, I dont' really care which one it is.

Which ever fits my fancy and falls into my range when I need a new car I'll get.

Currently is the GR Corolla, in a few year maybe the MR2 with w/e power system it has.

but till then, my low mileage 10 year old car will keep chucking along~~~

But back topic.

As new energy code for commercial building hits in CA, the need for battery storage will skyrocket.
I expect battery storage system will come down in the price in the long run due to more manufactures and more competitions, but in the short run, we might see a price spike on battery storage units.

Last edited:
I would venture to guess that the lack of sales is the real driver of GM’s unenthusiastic production goals and recent price cuts. Toyota has this figured out correctly…We shall see but the EV “revolution” seems to be slowing as reality takes a bite…

General Motors doesn’t expect significant U.S. production of EVs until second half of year

· General Motors executives said they don’t expect significant production increases of new EVs until the second half of this year.

· The problem? Battery cell production at GM’s new or under-construction U.S. plants, executives said.

· As GM slowly increases production, others such as Hyundai and Ford have been ratcheting up production of EVs to close the gap on industry leader Tesla.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/31/general-motors-ev-production.html

Additionally, for those who understand the future of the ICE market dominating for years to come look no further than the now third largest auto market on earth…flooded with ICE vehicles as far as the eye can see…

India beat Japan to become the third-largest auto market in the world with a massive growth of 23.40 per cent
The global overall sales tally for the calendar year 2022 saw India becoming the third-largest automotive market in the world as it got past Japan with 4.4 million units and a staggering growth of 23.40 per cent. India recorded the highest growth amongst the top five as the recovery phase following the health crisis has been all the more positive.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/india-becomes-3rd-largest-auto-market-beating-japan-germany/

The new Mazda cx90 got revealed today. Two powertrains. A turbo charged 3.3L in-line 6 cylinder with 340HP and 369 lb-ft of torque and then PHEV for IHO, it is a 2.5L inline 4 cylinder with an electric motor for 323HP and 369 lb-ft of torque. The PHEV is expected to provide around 30 miles of range.

The car looks very good inside and out - the interior in particular looked pretty high end. For reference the 2023 X5 has 3L inline 6 cylinder with 335HP and 331 lb-ft of torque and does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds, I’m assuming the CX90 will rival the X5 in performance.

…for the bargain price of?…
The current ICE CX-9 is around $40k... the PHEV version I would expect to be not much more considering the prices of competing PHEVs in this segment are less than $50k.

Not as expensive as you think. The current Ford Broncos in this size cost more and don't even have 3 rows. :)

I really don’t like the new ...
We know you fear anything new, no surprise. I think yellow font sounds like it fits better
Being talk irvine, i don't recall the last time seeing a vehicle like yours built in the 80's around irvine, highest chance of seeing one is in the scrap yard or retirement communities o_O
:cry::giggle::geek:

We know you fear anything new, no surprise. I think yellow font sounds like it fits better
Being talk irvine, i don't recall the last time seeing a vehicle like yours built in the 80's around irvine, highest chance of seeing one is in the scrap yard or retirement communities o_O
:cry::giggle::geek:
That’s cause most people can’t afford them…

Clicks on link:
"We have spent over a decade blending the classic style of the 1966-1977 Vintage Ford Bronco"

Yours is late 80's, nice try tho

Unlike most topics on this board, this one I have lots of expertise in. If you have 2 cars+ in the household, one should always be an EV or plug-in hybrid. Otherwise, if this is a 1 car situation, do this:

1) Do you enjoy performance exhaust sounds? If Yes, get an ICE or performance hybrid. otherwise...
2) Do you have a garage with plug-in capability? If Yes, get an EV or Plug-in Hybrid (cheaper option), otherwise,
3) Are you on a deep budget? If so, get a discount/value ICE car. Otherwise, get an economy hybrid (Prius is the classic choice).

Our house owns a Model Y and a gas guzzling performance sedan. That combination has served us very well the last several years as a dad and dog owner. EVs are great, but aside from the Chevy Bolts, they are quite expensive for most people. Plug-in hybrids probably are the best option for most people's budget/needs currently unless they lack a garage. In that case, you can get a hybrid to save gas or a budget ICE to save upfront on money.

I used to think PHEVs were the best solution but it still has the same maintenance as an ICE and in reality, never really needed the gas unless I ran out of the ~30mi electric range.

Unless you are a long commuter... if you do have access to charging at home or work, an EV is great. But I do see why people like ICE, especially if you road trip often.

If you only road trip occasionally... you can always rent an ICE (I think I've said that before).

You're being a hippo again... you say EVs are not affordable but then you like non-affordable ICE cars.

Even if you don't like the current Bronco... the point is that EVs are not that much more than ICE and... there are many that are as cheap as (I've pointed out the Bolt to you before which is even cheaper now that Fed credits have come back online for GM).

Personally, I'm happy to not have gas/oil smell in my garage... for the occasional poker/mahjong/pingpong/breakdance events in our garage. :)

Back