ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
With the proliferation of petroleum products in our life, you really don’t have a choice. (including EV car production to a great degree)🤦🏽‍♂️😆😆😆

I follow a lot of sports and always find it funny when the Liv golf tour owned by the Saudi’s gets condemned because of their human rights practices and then everyone just continues to buy oil/gas and iPhones made in China.

If you applied high/good morals consistently you would not have a car of any kind and no iPhone :)

I only use Supercharger when battery gets below 30% to take advantage of free 10k Supercharger miles. So far I’ve only used it 3 or 4 times. Most of the other times, I just charge at home using my 4kw solar system during super off peak hours. I set my charger to 10A so that it consumes electricity generated by solar system. It’s good enough to cover most of my daily driving activities.
With NEM, why does it matter how fast you charge as long as it’s during off-peak hours (8am-4pm)?

With NEM, why does it matter how fast you charge as long as it’s during off-peak hours (8am-4pm)?
Because his system doesn't generate enough to charge more than 10A. If he sets it to charge at 32A, it would require 7.8kW and his system probably generates 3kW or less. Then he would need to import at least 4.8kW from SCE. Remember that with NEM 2.0, the rate you're paying SCE is more than what SCE pays you. And with NEM 3.0, it's a lot less, 75% less.

So what you want to do is make use of all the time that your solar system is generating power, without using more if possible.

He meant he set his Tesla charging to 10A. I set mine to 18A, which would take about 4.4kW. My solar system could produce about 4.5kW at 9am and increases to 6.4kW at peak hours (11am to 1pm) and back down to 4.5kW at 2pm. I set the M3 to start charging at 9am on the days that my wife works from home.

Interesting. Do you need a powerwall for this? What are the cost savings? I typically charge after 9pm...but maybe it makes sense to reduce the 10-20A during the day. We're home anyway...

Interesting. Do you need a powerwall for this? What are the cost savings? I typically charge after 9pm...but maybe it makes sense to reduce the 10-20A during the day. We're home anyway...
Actually, we're doing it this BECAUSE we don't have a powerwall to save the solar energy. Basically, you set your Tesla use less power than what your solar panels can generate, so you don't go over. You spread out your charging time to during your solar generation time.

I do charge my Prius Prime after 9pm most of the time since I drive to work every day.

Because his system doesn't generate enough to charge more than 10A. If he sets it to charge at 32A, it would require 7.8kW and his system probably generates 3kW or less. Then he would need to import at least 4.8kW from SCE. Remember that with NEM 2.0, the rate you're paying SCE is more than what SCE pays you. And with NEM 3.0, it's a lot less, 75% less.

So what you want to do is make use of all the time that your solar system is generating power, without using more if possible.
Wait, I thought with NEM 2 you’re basically getting the retail rate when you sell back to SCE. ie if SCE sells you a kWh off-peak at $0.35, if you generate an excess kWh with solar, SCE gives you $0.35 credit? (Ok, maybe there is like $0.02 in nonbypassable charges you don’t get credit for, but is that what we’re talking about?) That’s how I understood it.

Wait, I thought with NEM 2 you’re basically getting the retail rate when you sell back to SCE. ie if SCE sells you a kWh off-peak at $0.35, if you generate an excess kWh with solar, SCE gives you $0.35 credit? (Ok, maybe there is like $0.02 in nonbypassable charges you don’t get credit for, but is that what we’re talking about?) That’s how I understood it.
It seems you're right. I thought that they lowered the rate that SCE pays you when they went from NEM 1.0 to NEM 2.0, but I guess it was something else.

It seems you're right. I thought that they lowered the rate that SCE pays you when they went from NEM 1.0 to NEM 2.0, but I guess it was something else.
That's what the true up is for, over a whole year it looks at how much you produced in off-peak & peak vs what you consumed for both. If you over consumed you pay the normal rate, if you over produced you get paid roughly 10 cents on the dollars.

Nem 2.0 is about 4:3 in term of getting credit back. One avg, you get 3 kwh credits back for producing 4kwh. Reason I charge during super off peak hour because it’s the lowest rate for getting solar credit from SCE. If I happen to use more than the solar produces, it’s the cheapest.

I am switching to TOU Prime but my current plan is TOU 4-9 which has:
Super Off Peak Hrs: 8am -4
Peak Hrs: 4pm-9pm
Off Peak Hrs:9pm-8am

Nem 2.0 is about 4:3 in term of getting credit back. One avg, you get 3 kwh credits back for producing 4kwh. Reason I charge during super off peak hour because it’s the lowest rate for getting solar credit from SCE. If I happen to use more than the solar produces, it’s the cheapest.

Yeah, I understand everyone should try to charge if they can during super off peak hours because it's the cheapest.

But I don't get what you're saying about 4:3 credit ratio. Like I said in my last post, what I understand is your excess solar energy sell rate to SCE is the same as your buy rate from SCE (minus 2c/kWh nonbypassable charges). So my point is it shouldn't matter whether you spread out your EV charging at a low charge rate over 8am-4pm VS charging it superfast in 1hr (as an example). The amount of energy you're using is still the same. In the first case, you're using more of your solar energy to charge your EV, but you're selling less energy to SCE (because all your solar energy is going into EV). In the second case, you're pulling more energy from SCE to charge the EV in the first hour, but afterwards you're selling more solar energy back to SCE at the same cost that you pulled it.

It's kind of funny, but when I looked at my bill, super off peak rate is slightly higher than off peak rate. I've been on TOU Prime since moving here (even before).

No Amazon. I bought directly from Enphase vendor who installed my solar. I am sure you can ask your vendor for purchasing one.
Both my brother and I used Elevation Solar, but he said that the installer left him the sensors and he installed them himself. My installer didn't give me any.

Yeah, I understand everyone should try to charge if they can during super off peak hours because it's the cheapest.

But I don't get what you're saying about 4:3 credit ratio. Like I said in my last post, what I understand is your excess solar energy sell rate to SCE is the same as your buy rate from SCE (minus 2c/kWh nonbypassable charges). So my point is it shouldn't matter whether you spread out your EV charging at a low charge rate over 8am-4pm VS charging it superfast in 1hr (as an example). The amount of energy you're using is still the same. In the first case, you're using more of your solar energy to charge your EV, but you're selling less energy to SCE (because all your solar energy is going into EV). In the second case, you're pulling more energy from SCE to charge the EV in the first hour, but afterwards you're selling more solar energy back to SCE at the same cost that you pulled it.
I agree with your if SCE pays 1:1 ratio vs solar credit then i would not make a difference. But the way i understand it is that SCE charges more per kwh than what they credit you. For example,
10kwh drawn from SCE would cost me $3.2. But if my solar produces the same 10kwh, I would get only $2.4 based on 4:3 ratio due to fees, surcharges…That’s what my solar friend explained to me. Maybe he didnt know any better 🤓.

Both my brother and I used Elevation Solar, but he said that the installer left him the sensors and he installed them himself. My installer didn't give me any.
i wouldnt dare to install it myself. Honestly it’s nice to have but it is not essential. I questioned them why they didnt install it in the first place. They said it’s not necessary. Bunch of bs basically.

If you just want a doodad that tells you how much power you use when, then look at the Emporia meter. Plug it in near the smart meter, tie it in to your network, download the app, and done. You get a pretty detailed picture of you consumption down to the second if you want it, though hourly kw-h data is good enough. It's within a few % of the #s on the meter for real time draw. Though I guess to be honest, I'm not sure what it would show with a solar hook up. Probably whatever the meter says, whether that's net consumption, or total consumption.

To really get into the nitty gritty with analysis/corrections, they also sell a breaker-specific data collector. Much more useful, but also a bit more involved to install.

Yeah, I have and installed the Emporia Vue energy monitor before I got solar installed. Kind of fun to see how much energy things take if you're a data nerd. I believe SCE offers a $25 rebate so it comes out to only $15 in the end (https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/collections/emporia-products/products/utility-connect or Amazon). If you have solar and Enphase though, I'd say it's more convenient to see consumption and generation all in one app.

Regarding Enphase consumption monitoring, installers generally fall into 3 camps. A.) They install it by default B.) They ask you if you want it and charge you extra for it C.) They don't even ask if you want it and don't install it. It's such a cheap part and easy install (for the installer) that it really out to be installed by default IMO.

Back