How does everyone think of Greatpark?

Superfund site and asphalt factory aside, I still prefer older neighborhoods in Irvine to GP. The weather difference is something I rarely hear ppl talking about, I live in Turtle Rock, but go to GP at least once a week. On hot days, north Irvine in general is noticeably hotter and a lot more unpleasant to walk around than south Irvine which is closer to the ocean. Same as colder days, it's at least a few degrees colder. I didn't used to think it's a deal killer either, but everytime I go to GP, it reminds me of how different it feels from Turtle rock or woodbridge....

melodypowell said:
Superfund site and asphalt factory aside, I still prefer older neighborhoods in Irvine to GP. The weather difference is something I rarely hear ppl talking about, I live in Turtle Rock, but go to GP at least once a week. On hot days, north Irvine in general is noticeably hotter and a lot more unpleasant to walk around than south Irvine which is closer to the ocean. Same as colder days, it's at least a few degrees colder. I didn't used to think it's a deal killer either, but everytime I go to GP, it reminds me of how different it feels from Turtle rock or woodbridge....

The asphalt factory is near Orchard Hills, not Great Park.

melodypowell said:

The temperature difference from Turtle Rock to GP and beyond is sometimes 10 degrees. I'm surprised I haven't seen more people talk about the weather differences, but to some that's a non-factor I guess.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more people talk about the weather differences, but to some that's a non-factor I guess.

It's because this forum is mainly made up of people who live on the hot side of town. 
The new home smell + tesla panels > something as silly as ten degrees :)

bones said:
I'm surprised I haven't seen more people talk about the weather differences, but to some that's a non-factor I guess.

It's because this forum is mainly made up of people who live on the hot side of town. 
The new home smell + tesla panels > something as silly as ten degrees :)

Different strokes for different folks. I guess it's possible that this forum has mostly people from that side of town, but I've also been here since IHB (you probably have too given the number of posts). I suppose there has probably been a shift as time goes on since most of the new construction popped up on that side.

Also, you're right! There are some people who don't care. I have a friend in Stonegate that prefers the warmer temps in the summer.

Weather difference is big... which is why I didn't end up in Tustin Ranch... or Portola Springs.

GP is cooler... but not as cool as TRock, Quail or Laguna Woktura.

I vow to retire in some elevated Irvine hood... or Newport... or Canada. :)

I'm in south and north Irvine because of the nature of work I do. Turtle Rock home construction is definitely better than the new and newer construction, such as in North Irvine. Walls seem thicker and stucco is higher quality. Not sure about framing.

We have house and dog sat for friends in 2 different areas in Quail Hill and evenings were extremely cold for both of us. So as far as temperature, I prefer north Irvine.

CogNeuroSci said:
I'm in south and north Irvine because of the nature of work I do. Turtle Rock home construction is definitely better than the new and newer construction, such as in North Irvine. Walls seem thicker and stucco is higher quality. Not sure about framing.

We have house and dog sat for friends in 2 different areas in Quail Hill and evenings were extremely cold for both of us. So as far as temperature, I prefer north Irvine.

I definitely agree with the first part of your post. For the second part, I guess it depends on the season. On winter nights, North Irvine seems much colder to me.

akkord said:
If there is a crowded basketball court near IHO or he doesn't like the people there I assume he drives a bit farther to play at a gym or court he likes, it's not a big deal.

I understand what you are saying here but there is a factor of time spent at said location. If I'm going somewhere just to be there 5 minutes to half an hour... I prefer it to be closer by... if I'm going to spend a few hours there... it can be farther.

I would prefer everything to be danger close... but if I had to choose... it would be the things that I most often frequent or would need to frequent out of necessity.

That's why it's too bad Ridge Valley doesn't cross over and hit Technology. That would be awesome to get to Costco and Walmart faster.

That's where qwertustin has an advantage, Lowes/Target/Costco/Walmart just a calf length away. :)

It is pretty nice to be able to go to Costco/target/Lowe?s in about a 4-5 minute drive.

I can leave for Costco at 9:25 on Saturday?s and be home by 10am  with the stuff for the week.

Staters is even faster. I can go and come back in less than 10 minutes

qwerty said:
It is pretty nice to be able to go to Costco/target/Lowe?s in about a 4-5 minute drive.

I can leave for Costco at 9:25 on Saturday?s and be home by 10am  with the stuff for the week.

That new Stater Bros is nice.

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:

That new Stater Bros is nice.

Yeah not your average stater bros that?s for sure

irvinehomeowner said:
akkord said:
If there is a crowded basketball court near IHO or he doesn't like the people there I assume he drives a bit farther to play at a gym or court he likes, it's not a big deal.

I understand what you are saying here but there is a factor of time spent at said location. If I'm going somewhere just to be there 5 minutes to half an hour... I prefer it to be closer by... if I'm going to spend a few hours there... it can be farther.

I would prefer everything to be danger close... but if I had to choose... it would be the things that I most often frequent or would need to frequent out of necessity.

That's why it's too bad Ridge Valley doesn't cross over and hit Technology. That would be awesome to get to Costco and Walmart faster.

That's where qwertustin has an advantage, Lowes/Target/Costco/Walmart just a calf length away. :)

That would be great if Ridge Valley went through. I'm also patiently awaiting the extension of Marine Way to Barranca that keeps getting delayed.

A McSen owner broker schooled us on the secular Irvine sales market and GP sales is running sloooow...doesn't portend well for equity values.  Add this to the GP Cons list.

IHS3000 said:
The only shopping center approved by the city for GP is FivePoint X near Great Park Blvd. and the Sports Park.

FivePoint recently updated their website with more information:
https://www.fivepoint.com/elements/...point-x-marks-the-spot-for-food-and-retail-at

?FivePoint X Marks the Spot for Food and Retail for Orange County Great Park Visitors

Imagine walking through a modern European village with unique and enticing restaurant and retail offerings, a place where both neighboring residents and out-of-town visitors from across the region meet to sip their favorite drinks, break bread with friends and family, and shop along pedestrian-friendly pathways. Some will walk or ride their bikes from nearby homes, while others may reserve a room and stay overnight in rooms located directly above their favorite dining and retail spots.

This vision, adjacent to the Orange County Great Park, is one step closer to reality with the City of Irvine?s recent approval of FivePoint X, a 425,000 square-foot ?mixed-commercial? site located directly across the street from the Great Park Ice facility and a short walk to the nearby Orange County Great Park Sports Complex. The new development will offer something fresh and innovative within the community and serve a niche in the city.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-15-at-11.18.10-PM.png

Plans for the 58-acre site also include a full-service hotel with meeting space, a fitness center and restaurant, as well as a separate extended-stay hotel. Both will serve athletes and families who visit from near and far away places to compete at Great Park Ice and the sports complex.

Additionally, FivePoint is establishing a pop-up location alongside the Championship Soccer Stadium at Orange County Great Park that will host several smaller vendors and serve as a ?restaurant incubator?. Food will be served from a series of converted shipping containers, and select retail offerings are planned as well.?

The pop-up village the stadium looks almost done if you visit the site, but due to COVID-19 pandemic, we?ll see when they open this pop-up village. I last heard of a possible takeout and delivery option for the pop-up village if they open it.

popup.jpg

FivePoint-X-Marks-The-Spot-for-Food-and-Retail-at-Orange-County-Great-Park-mobile_1.jpg

ocgp-zone-map-2019-web.jpg

Water%20Polo.jpg

blobdload.asp

Anybody know if they're actually moving along with FivePoint X? The fencing that surrounded the land has mostly been taken down and it seems like they're preparing the land for something.

Interview of Fivepoint CEO Emile Haddad

May 17, 2021
https://www.ocbj.com/news/2021/may/17/emile-haddad-building-american-dream/

??The company is also looking to increase the share of affordable housing options at Great Park Neighborhoods, with apartments being eyed as part of the developer?s FivePoint X, a 58-acre addition to the community that?s expected to bring some 425,000 square feet of mixed-commercial uses, including a 180-key hotel, plus a variety of food and retail options alongside new homes.

Construction is scheduled to begin next year on FivePoint X, which runs near the southern edge of the Great Park Neighborhoods, close to the city-owned Orange County Great Park??

Back