HELP - RE: Capella Orchard Hills

Paris167 said:
Why are people here always trying to argue about which village is better. You live in Irvine - anywhere in irvine is overall a great place to live. Everyone has their different reasons for why they choose the village they do.

To each their own - we should just try to be supportive.
It's the nature of internet forums.  This bulletin board is first and foremost a real estate forum.  People will always defend their 'hood because they don't want buyer's remorse and think they made the best choice, other opinions be damned.  There is no best neighborhood, there is only a best neighborhood or house for you.

This forum has a wealth of great info...it also has meaningless vitriol and chatter.  Everyone who reads this forum (all forums actually) should take every post with a grain of salt. 

One person's garbage is another person's treasure.

OCgasman said:
Paris167 said:
Why are people here always trying to argue about which village is better. You live in Irvine - anywhere in irvine is overall a great place to live. Everyone has their different reasons for why they choose the village they do.

It's the nature of internet forums.  This bulletin board is first and foremost a real estate forum.  People will always defend their 'hood because they don't want buyer's remorse and think they made the best choice, other opinions be damned.  There is no best neighborhood, there is only a best neighborhood or house for you.

This forum has a wealth of great info...it also has meaningless vitriol and chatter.  Everyone who reads this forum (all forums actually) should take every post with a grain of salt. 

One person's garbage is another person's treasure.
The best way to tell what's in demand/ideal location is to go by $ per sqft.

thatOSguy said:
Paris167 said:
I currently live in NP and we want to upgrade to a bigger home. Looking at homes in NP in the range of 3000 to 3500sqft right in our neighborhood it's low 400s per sqft ( around $415-425/sqft range). Now HOA is $100 cheaper per month and Mello roos is cheaper but not significantly compared to Capella OH. BUT to buy the NP home I also have to factor in about $150k minimum of RENO cost to update the house - because they are 14 years old. So when you factor in the reno cost the price per sqft is comparable to Capella OH, sometimes (dep on the home) even a bit higher than Capella OH.

At Capella OH with purchase price + design center upgrades + landscaping - that price/sqft is $439/sqft.  The downfalls though is HOA and Melloroos will be more expensive and of course the smaller yard than what you get at NP.

So when you add all the upgrades you want to do on both sides, the homes are at relative parity, but the monthlies are higher in OH...

Paris167 said:
I think you can only compare NP to Capella. Once you start getting into the $1.6mil and above range OH is more like $500+/sqft

Huntington and Cambria span 3400-4400 square feet.

That's squarely in the size of La Vita, Messina, Vicenza and Saviero and knocking on Amelia's doorstep.

Paris167 said:
OH The groves is definitely overall pricier than NP. And NP YES has more amenities pools and parks but we only use the pool and park closest to us and there are more residents in NP when you count all the condos, motorcourts, Terra Bella folks that use the amenities. At least The groves amenities are ONLY reserved for those in the groves that don't have to share with OH folks across the street.  But regardless there are an ABUNDANCE of ammenities close by to this area with all the parks and pools in the surrounding area. I think we can use ammenities across the street and if that's crowded I will just walk over to my old stompin' grounds in NP and use their amenities  >:D You know their side gate is always open and anyone can just stroll into use the amenities. The pools need a key but during the summers so many people are in and out - you can just walk in (plus I'll just cut a master access key before I leave NP)  ;D

Wow. Where to begin here?

First, all gated communities in Irvine are open to pedestrians and cyclists, so the idea to continue accessing NP's facilities works both ways.

Second, your plan to replicate then use a copy of the Medeco master key before turning it in - assuming you're able to do it - is de facto stealing, so while you may not get caught, I guess you're comfortable with that. Karma's a bitch.

Third, even with the higher monthly HOA fee in OH, you're still gaming through how you can enjoy NP's amenities. That's hardly the premium sanctuary TIC is marketing.

And I guess that's what I'm missing with the OH apologists. I have yet to hear someone simply say "wow, it is nice up here. I really feel like I'm going to be living in a top notch community." Instead there's this aw-shucks-It's-the-new-version-of-NP Baker Ranchness to it and lots of explaining. And I think that stems from the let down few are willing to admit: OH lacks the je ne sais quoi design and premium feel we were all expecting, particularly in their common areas. So much so that a future resident is already gaming through how she will access her old hood.

Wait, now there's NP envy?  #fuckingdelusional

For comparable price, at NP you get:

- dated design ("choppy" feel, small kitchens, small secondary BRs);
- high density (there's a reason you NEED the extra little pools/parks); and
- all the headaches that come with 12-13 year old construction.

#nobrainer

NP is a very nice community, but c'mon now.

WTTCMN said:
Overheard at the Friday Night Happenings at PP last night:

"Man, wish we bought here instead of OH."

Say what?!?!?!?

You have to be fucking kidding me.  Now we have PP envy??

#totallybatshitdelusional

Paris167 said:
aquabliss said:
Ya I heard that guy too.  I coughed and said "Paris"... He looked over.  Just Sayin.

How did my debate to purchase btw NP and OH span to PP?? I don't even know where that is, nor do I care. I can purchase a home in ANY village in irvine, I chose OH for personal reasons I don't need to defend to anyone.

Oh and one more thing - don't "assume" every person on this thread is a guy

So... you can even afford Shady Canyon at about $3.5 million and Hidden Canyon (not a village, but still a new neighborhood) starting at about $2.5 million??? WOW! Then you should be looking at Crystal Cove in Newport Coast or the Strand in Dana Point!  ;D

P.S. Proper English assumes every person is a "he" unless stated so.

Paris167 said:
orchardhill said:
let time tell the difference.  we dont need to confirm which community is better.  we just choose the community that u love and live with it.  Peace!

Enjoy the summer and ur current or new house.

Amen to that!

Not next to the landfill...

And, people need to argue because people might not know everything about a certain village and others can advise them about possible consequences of purchasing homes in a certain place. A home is important. Some people can stay there for their entire life. By weighing pros and cons, people can reassess whether they really want to purchase a home in a certain place of Irvine or not.

P.S. Did you see this?

1. The avocado groves will be dismantled in the near future and HOAs might soar $1K if this happens monthly.
2. If one of the reservoirs in Orchard Hills breaks, Orchard Hills could be subject to severe flooding.
3. It is in a prime fire area.
4. Right next to Capella used to be a dumpster!
5. Wildlife from the nearby groves can enter your backyard and airplanes that may cause noise disturbances are allowed to fly over the groves.

Quote from Thomas Jefferson (not about housing, but about government):

"I hold it that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.... It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."

Paris167 said:
aquabliss said:
Ya I heard that guy too.  I coughed and said "Paris"... He looked over.  Just Sayin.

How did my debate to purchase btw NP and OH span to PP?? I don't even know where that is, nor do I care.  I can purchase a home in ANY village in irvine, I chose OH for personal reasons I don't need to defend to anyone.

Oh and one more thing - don't "assume" every person on this thread is a guy

Dear Ambiguous Gender Paris,

The above was clearly a joke - I think you need to take a step back and a deep breath. 

Orchard Hills is a fine village, your investment will be plenty safe and appreciate nicely over the years.  The post that preceded in no way intended to infer that you seriously would rather live in Pavilion Park. 

I suppose some of us take life a bit lighter than others - I've been through a lot in my life and I've learned to make decisions for myself and not let others opinions bother me.  I'm not here to tout my net worth or let others know that I can afford to live anywhere I want.  If that's how you want to operate then fine, but there's no need to be so high strung about it.

Back