HELP - RE: Capella Orchard Hills

Went and saw Capella today, the Plan 1 was nice and if you landscape the small yard properly it still makes for good entertaining space, not much for play area but like you said it's not that important to you.

I say go for it.  By the time they release phase 9 and 10 it will cost you $100k-$200k more for the same house and you'll probably be regretting it.  OH behind the gates will appreciate nicely I'm sure... It's the most desirable Irvine address this side of the 5 fwy.

I bought the plan 2, was looking at the la vista, turtle ridge, newport coast and newport beach as well, but finally picked up the Capella.  My two kids told me either we pick the one close to the resort or close to the school.  From my previous experience, the kids never want to spend too much time in the backyard once they are back home.  We still have that big house with big lot, but kids not use at all.

Since the Capella is so close to resort, and the view against the Avocado Hill, plus the 2m+ home are right to us.  I think, the Capella will have better chance to get appreciated than those 1.6M house.

There are so many tracts are around 1.6M in OH, it will give too many choices for the buyers to choose.  However the 1.3m house plan are only one tract in the OH, and down the road, if this is the entry price for the OH, then anyone want to move to OH gated side with limited funds, definitely will take a look first.

If you talk the richer people, then they may never bother to look at Capella. If I have two million, I will buy the house in the coastal side for sure.

North Park will be never able to compete with Grove at Orchard Hill.  They are two different communities, one is starting with $600K, and another one is starting with $1.3M.  If you can afford OH, then it's no brainer.  Good luck and hopefully see u in the neighbor. 

orchardhill said:
I bought the plan 2, was looking at the la vista, turtle ridge, newport coast and newport beach as well, but finally picked up the Capella.  My two kids told me either we pick the one close to the resort or close to the school.  From my previous experience, the kids never want to spend too much time in the backyard once they are back home.  We still have that big house with big lot, but kids not use at all.

Since the Capella is so close to resort, and the view against the Avocado Hill, plus the 2m+ home are right to us.  I think, the Capella will have better chance to get appreciated than those 1.6M house.

There are so many tracts are around 1.6M in OH, it will give too many choices for the buyers to choose.  However the 1.3m house plan are only one tract in the OH, and down the road, if this is the entry price for the OH, then anyone want to move to OH gated side with limited funds, definitely will take a look first.

If you talk the richer people, then they may never bother to look at Capella. If I have two million, I will buy the house in the coastal side for sure.

North Park will be never able to compete with Grove at Orchard Hill.  They are two different communities, one is starting with $600K, and another one is starting with $1.3M.  If you can afford OH, then it's no brainer.  Good luck and hopefully see u in the neighbor.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to TI!

We have the same situation.  Currently we have a huge backyard in TR.  Our 2 boys preschool aged don't play in the back as much.  They prefer to play in the front with other kids or at the park.

We are between OH Capella v. NP.  If we could find a steal in NP, we may buy there.  But the houses on sale are still pricey considering the remodel because most are outdated.  Or if the sellers remodeled it, it's not my taste.  :-\

Positives of Capella:
larger bedrooms (my boys will appreciate later), higher ceilings, open floor plan, NEW, elevated location, does not have condos/townhomes in the community, larger kitchen, less dense of a community.  It's beautiful to drive through the main street (I believe Settler's Park) of the community as you drive into your own.  I believe there's a walking trail around OH with some views of the city (correct me if I'm wrong).  Better chance of increasing in value than Northpark, in general because it is truly a unique community north of the 5.  You can feel the breeze since it's higher elevation (houses built may block it in the future?). 

Negatives of Capella:
The small yards, construction for a few years, still a little more expensive than Northpark, only 1 playground, 1 pool (compared to NP), the upstairs patio will be 10 feet away to your neighbor's patio, higher HOA, longer Mello Roos, there will be workers to maintain avocado groves in and out (not that it is important to us, someone mentioned it). 

I visited Quintera, one of the Lennar homes in PP, Strata (they all have very similar yard size), just to sit in the back yard to see if that size is something we can live with.  I think if landscaped well, it will be acceptable.  And besides, as our children get older, we many not be home enough to enjoy the back yard because of their extracurricular activities and sports, events, etc.  Kids grow up so fast and their needs change. 

Recent new homes are in Woodbury, Stonegate, Portola, Pavillion Park, Lambert Ranch.  If you ask yourself in 15 years, where would you buy?  Others or OH?  I'm curious what people would say.

This is a tough decision.  Good luck!  Let us know what you decide along the way. 

thatOSguy said:
irvineboy said:
NP is a better deal overall for its amenities. But appreciation and prestige, if you care, OH for sure.

NP is more expensive yet less prestigious.... ?

Zubs pummeled me into submission on the Laguna Altura thread that more 'spensive=better. I guess I need to go back to the drawing board.

NP is not more expensive than OH.

Usually more expensive has its reasons.

for the grove, OH is more expensive than NP.  The grove starts at 1.3M and all the way to 2.2M.  For out of gate, those house in OH < NP. 

I guess, that is where the confusion is from.

let time tell the difference.  we dont need to confirm which community is better.  we just choose the community that u love and live with it.  Peace!

Enjoy the summer and ur current or new house.

Back