Greenwood in Tustin Legacy

"As part of the distinguished Tustin Unified School District (TUSD), Tustin Legacy schools focus on challenging and engaging curriculum, personalized instructions, individualized student achievement, and dynamic partnerships within the community. School-aged children living in Greenwood will attend Veeh Elementary School, Currie Middle School or Tustin High School."

Veeh:http://www.greatschools.org/california/tustin/4085-Marjorie-Veeh-Elementary-School/quality/#Ratings
Marjorie:http://www.greatschools.org/california/tustin/4069-A.-G.-Currie-Middle-School/quality/#Ratings
Tustin:http://www.greatschools.org/california/tustin/4082-Tustin-High-School/quality/#Ratings

Gotta love marketing.

So for all of those Mello-Roose tax that I paid for my West Irvine home, my kids went to both Majorie Veeh and Beswick, because of special circumstance, I have witness first hand of how Tustin School Disctrict handle special programs and every time the subject comes up its like some one take a chain saw to my arm to say the least. Our use to be home school for my son's should have been at Myford and base on their reccommendation and forcibily put my child into Veeh. I went to teacher parents conference, and 95 % of the population that was in line or watiting outside is hispanic. DON'T get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, however, I could not communicate and make connection with any of the parents. I felt so out of place and here I am living in Irvine and paying all these high extra Mello-Roose so my child get to go to a lesser part of Tustin.

It is pure economic and money for the TUSD and disregard for my child circumstance. No wonder the TUSD Super Intendent among other official are one of the highest paid educator around, and they are even top Irvine. Yet the school is run down and provide little support for parents. I don't want to rants and sound pissed off, just stating the facts that happened to us. So be very careful in checking out the school yourself and know exactly which school your child/children will ge attending.

We bought in Irvine and thought that "oh Irvine great must be great school, yet the boundary where it cut off put our kids at a less advantage.

Summary is know where to buy and which school you belong to. Don't look at the builder marketing. 

We bought a new house in Tustin Ranch in May of 1989 (probably the day the market peaked, lol). My oldest daughter was going to be in Kindergarten in the fall and soon as we moved in the neighbors wanted to know where my daughter would be going to school. I said, Tustin Memorial and they told me oh no....... if you are going to public school she'll have to go to Marjorie Veeh and it's bad!

I thought well no, that can't be. I asked about the school and the sales office told me there are two schools equal distance so take your pick.

I moved from low house payments, no mello to having to go back to work to pay for the house and get a nanny to watch my three young kids so I could sleep (I worked night shift) and I have to have a crummy school?

Neighbors told me they tried and it was a no go for anything but Veeh so they put their kids in private school, which for me just wasn't going to happen.

I went to tour Tustin Memorial and told the principal that I was thinking of moving to the area and wanted to know about the school. He was nice, gave me a tour of his school which was only 2/3 full (Veeh was so full they had to bring in trailers) but he told me to make absolute SURE that I didn't buy in Tustin Ranch (which I already had) because Dave Andrews (head of TUSD) told me there would NEVER be any students from Tustin Ranch at that school.

I was livid, paying those taxes, going back to work night shift, sleeping in the daytime and having a nanny just so I could put my kids in a worse school than they would have been in had I never moved (and then house prices dropped, which probably not many on TI even remember, but the last move down was not my first experience with that problem....... our house lost 30% from the time we bought till the bottom after the county bankruptcy).

The neighbors were also upset so we all went to a school board meeting to let our voices be heard and finally Mr. Andrews said that WHEN the new school was built (the area near our house eventually became more homes so we would have had to drive our kids a few miles away), those who were in TR would be "allowed" to go (but not the first phase of TR because for some reason they didn't pay the mello) but "he didn't know WHY anyone would want to drive their kids somewhere else when they could walk to Veeh). I knew this district was trouble with a capital T.

I had 4 months to figure out what I was going to do. I KNEW I would not put my kids in Veeh, so for the first year we drove my daughter to a fundamental school in Santa Ana and used a friend's address.

The next year we applied to be in the IUSD because my hubby worked in Irvine (at that time if you worked in the area that another school district covered you could transfer).

I think my youngest (who was only 8 months old when we moved in) would have missed going to the middle and high school had we stayed and wouldn't have even started elementary school in a new school had we stayed.

26 years ago we moved into TR and after all these years it's pretty sad to see TUSD still trying to pump up school scores by forcing new home owners to attend the worst schools, all the while taking in the mello they refuse to spend until they absolutely have to.

Don't most school districts (or any govt entity) operate like that?

Portola springs has been paying mello roos since 2006/2007 for an elementary school they Are getting in 2015/2016 right?

qwerty said:

Portola springs has been paying mello roos since 2006/2007 for an elementary school they Are getting in 2015/2016 right?

Yea but those kids weren't/aren't being sent to a shit school. In fact, for awhile, they were able to attend a blue ribbon school.

Do they purposely prevent students from enrolling in one school only 2/3 fill and force them into another school equal distant that is so overfull they had to bring in trailers? Tustin Memorial is rated 10 on greatschools and Veeh is rated 2 and it's been that way for years.

We didn't expect a new school but we didn't appreciate a superintendent that told the principal of Tustin Memorial that NO Tustin ranch kids would EVER go to that school which was obviously not nearly full.

We took our average daily attendance money to another district and my kids never attended a TUSD school, ever.

bones said:
qwerty said:

Yea but those kids weren't/aren't being sent to a shit school. In fact, for awhile, they were able to attend a blue ribbon school.

Sounds like back then the good Tranch schools were not available. For us in Columbus square we can attend the good schools in Tranch

Ready2Downsize said:
We bought a new house in Tustin Ranch in May of 1989 (probably the day the market peaked, lol). My oldest daughter was going to be in Kindergarten in the fall and soon as we moved in the neighbors wanted to know where my daughter would be going to school. I said, Tustin Memorial and they told me oh no....... if you are going to public school she'll have to go to Marjorie Veeh and it's bad!

I thought well no, that can't be. I asked about the school and the sales office told me there are two schools equal distance so take your pick.

I moved from low house payments, no mello to having to go back to work to pay for the house and get a nanny to watch my three young kids so I could sleep (I worked night shift) and I have to have a crummy school?

Neighbors told me they tried and it was a no go for anything but Veeh so they put their kids in private school, which for me just wasn't going to happen.

I went to tour Tustin Memorial and told the principal that I was thinking of moving to the area and wanted to know about the school. He was nice, gave me a tour of his school which was only 2/3 full (Veeh was so full they had to bring in trailers) but he told me to make absolute SURE that I didn't buy in Tustin Ranch (which I already had) because Dave Andrews (head of TUSD) told me there would NEVER be any students from Tustin Ranch at that school.

I was livid, paying those taxes, going back to work night shift, sleeping in the daytime and having a nanny just so I could put my kids in a worse school than they would have been in had I never moved (and then house prices dropped, which probably not many on TI even remember, but the last move down was not my first experience with that problem....... our house lost 30% from the time we bought till the bottom after the county bankruptcy).

The neighbors were also upset so we all went to a school board meeting to let our voices be heard and finally Mr. Andrews said that WHEN the new school was built (the area near our house eventually became more homes so we would have had to drive our kids a few miles away), those who were in TR would be "allowed" to go (but not the first phase of TR because for some reason they didn't pay the mello) but "he didn't know WHY anyone would want to drive their kids somewhere else when they could walk to Veeh). I knew this district was trouble with a capital T.

I had 4 months to figure out what I was going to do. I KNEW I would not put my kids in Veeh, so for the first year we drove my daughter to a fundamental school in Santa Ana and used a friend's address.

The next year we applied to be in the IUSD because my hubby worked in Irvine (at that time if you worked in the area that another school district covered you could transfer).

I think my youngest (who was only 8 months old when we moved in) would have missed going to the middle and high school had we stayed and wouldn't have even started elementary school in a new school had we stayed.

26 years ago we moved into TR and after all these years it's pretty sad to see TUSD still trying to pump up school scores by forcing new home owners to attend the worst schools, all the while taking in the mello they refuse to spend until they absolutely have to.

Wow so times has not change for Veeh. Thankfully, we are SO LUCKY to bail out. If you have a typical development child, then maybe things would be fine. TUSD special ed program is all lips services and all these highly paying staffs and official at TUSD are of no use to my son and our family. Everytime I ask, they would say that well because enrollment is low so your son have to go to Veeh. The special ed program is 1 of 89 child in need of these services and growing. Yet, my tax is being paid for highly compensated individuals that does not provide the services and settings to help my kid.

Think about all of these homes in Orchard that behind the gates or on the Tustin School side. Well maybe if you can afford the 1.5 + million then maybe those are fortunate enough to send their children into private school. For us, we are paying to high for taxes and mortgages on top of child care so in the end we have to bite our tounge. Well not exactly. I am laying it out here so others like our situation can make an informative decision when that times comes.

qwerty said:

Nope, not in Irvine. If your child home school is designated by your address, he or she will get to attend those school, regardless of your kid development needs. Irvine school will support and provide plenty of space BECAUSE OF YOUR HOME SCHOOL. The method of shifting kids around is non existence from what  I see. So in the end does those Mello-Roose worth it. To me yes, if they can provide the need. Beside there is another reason why homes in Irvine despite high taxes still hold its value and appreciate better relatively to other surrounding area. This is no coincident. I do appreciate IUSD, they do make a difference. So for  you IUSD staffs and teacher that on this board. Thank you for helping my child. No words can describes my appreciation for your dedication  to all of the special need kids.

For that kinda money and not be zoned for the better schools of Tustin...screw that. I was thinking about Greenwood (Central location, large floor plans, reasonable price), but to imagine my greatest investment (kids future) to fall short...no brainer - no go on Greenwood.

For what it's worth...most people that live in Columbus Square send their kids to private school.  Or they work through the transfer requests to get into the TR schools.  I would expect the same to happen in Greenwood until TUSD gets their heads out of their dark holes.

gasman said:
For what it's worth...most people that live in Columbus Square send their kids to private school.  Or they work through the transfer requests to get into the TR schools.  I would expect the same to happen in Greenwood until TUSD gets their heads out of their dark holes.

What are the popular private schools for the Columbus square set? Or all over the map?

bones said:
gasman said:

What are the popular private schools for the Columbus square set? Or all over the map?

A group of the residents surveyed the neighborhood and put all the schools the respondents attended (Over 200 respondes I think) and it was all over the place (both public and private). I'll see if I can find the map and post it

What's with the banners on the Great Wall?  Hard to read traveling at 60+ mph.  And a traffic hazard/distraction going northbound. 

Looks like they are building more wall along Jamboree.

They should have took a cue from TIC and put the apartments along the Jamboree side and put the homes in more interior locations.

irvinehomeowner said:
Looks like they are building more wall along Jamboree.

They should have took a cue from TIC and put the apartments along the Jamboree side and put the homes in more interior locations.

thats what happens when the city of tustin is the developer and sells off parcels of land to different companies. TIC is definitely a superior planner, no doubt about that.

Back