Greenwood in Tustin Legacy

thelandofnoland said:
So... any guesses on prices?

Sheldon) $680,000-$750,000
Brookfield) $830,000-$910,000
Crawford) $1,000,000-$1,200,000
Stafford) $1,260,000-$1,290,000

Here is to hoping that the prices will be inline with the opening prices at Rosemist at Pavillion Park.

Crawford - $940,000 to $1,050,000

Stafford - $1,040,000 to $1,150,000

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-652286-district-tustin.html

Tax district for next Tustin Legacy homes?

Homeowners could pay as much as $2,050 each year on top of standard property taxes to live in the next phase of Tustin Legacy homes due to a special tax district planned for the development.

Tustin Unified School District wants extra tax revenue from that community facilities, or Mello-Roos, district to finance up to $75 million in improvements, including adding two new schools.

Those facilities are needed to serve the thousands of residents expected to move over the next two decades to Tustin Legacy, a master-planned community of homes and retail that?s being built on former Marine Corps Air Station property.

A large portion of that $75 million will be used to build a secondary school in two phases. First will come a junior high, with sixth through eighth grades. Next will come a high school.

The secondary school will be a magnet Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Academy, according to plans supported by the TUSD board during a study session Monday. Curriculum will be focused on project-based learning, with technology courses covering video game design, robotics and coding, while business classes will cover topics such as leadership and creating a small-business plan.

Another significant chunk of the $75 million would be used to finally open and expand Heritage School, a 10-acre campus at 15400 Lansdowne Road that will be developed as a feeder to the magnet secondary school.

The elementary campus was built a few years ago, but TUSD says not enough school-age kids have moved into the Legacy community yet to justify starting classes there. Instead, the district has hosted adult students and administrator offices at the $12 million campus since 2013.

That decision angered local families, who said their children were being sent out of the area to overcrowded schools. And it prompted the city of Tustin to sue the school district in 2011, though a judge ruled that TUSD had the right to delay the school opening.

Figures presented during Monday?s meeting show that many schools are now bursting at the seams, with more residents coming soon.

The new Mello-Roos tax supported by the board Monday would apply to all homes built on vacant land roughly between Jamboree Road and Red Hill Avenue, east of Barranca Parkway and west of Edinger Avenue.

Owners of single-family homes there will pay from $1,325 to $2,050 in extra taxes for up to 40 years, depending on the size of the home. Townhome owners will pay from $875 up to $1,250 in taxes each year, while apartment owners will pay $600 and low-income homeowners will pay $215.

The district plans to hold a public hearing April 20 on forming the Mello-Roos district, which doesn?t require voter approval since no residents live there yet. Before that hearing, a TUSD team will draft a report on what new facilities are needed to accommodate growth for Tustin Legacy and how much those developments are estimated to cost.

The district is expected to vote on the plan May 18. Then it would head to the City Council for final approval May 19, since Tony Soria, chief financial officer for TUSD, said a small portion of the tax revenues would potentially support other public infrastructure needed in the area.

Is this on top of already existing Mello Roos?  If not, 2k a year for the largest homes doesn't sound too bad.

IT must be in addition and IIRC, the already existing Mello in those areas is pretty high so adding another 2K to it, pushes to the levels of absurd. I presume at that point you are talking about an effective ~2% tax rate. 

I was wondering the same thing, if this is the mello roos that we already know about, or a second mello roos. If it's a second mello roos they need to consider that they may drive away potential buyers by adding this.

This mello roos won't impact columbus square, I pay about 6,600 in MR per year they would need voter Approval from existing residents and it would not pass. The first MR at greenwood for a 3000 sq ft home was about 4000-4500. So another 2000 would make it comparable to what I pay

Columbus Square residents have been paying ~$1700/year since inception for the TUSD mello roos, which was earmarked for Heritage Elementary.  I've essentially paid $12K in mello roos over the last 7 years for a school that won't be open until 2017 or 2018 at the EARLIEST.  I (along with tons of families in the area) have lost complete faith in TUSD, and it's not surprising that they are seeking additional funds to throw away into more dead-end projects.

gasman said:
Columbus Square residents have been paying ~$1700/year since inception for the TUSD mello roos, which was earmarked for Heritage Elementary.  I've essentially paid $12K in mello roos over the last 7 years for a school that won't be open until 2017 or 2018 at the EARLIEST.  I (along with tons of families in the area) have lost complete faith in TUSD, and it's not surprising that they are seeking additional funds to throw away into more dead-end projects.

The school board is made up of all Democrats.  They like to spend other peoples' money.

test said:
gasman said:

The school board is made up of all Democrats.  They like to spend other peoples' money.

I think TUSD is not in favor of another new High School but City of Tustin and the developers were pushing hard for it when they started the Legacy.  Will the additional mello roos tax hinder sales in Greenwood?  Wonder whether you know who has any influence over TUSD, since this development being an outside project.

Tustin pulled an irvine company on stan pac and it sharing 50% in any profits over 8.5% - i wonder if this is standard operating procedure when you sell land.

gasman said:

I can assume you won't be looking at the TL area?

from reading the comments on nextdoor.com the school looks like it may open in the fall of 2016. heritage elementary will open as a STEM magnet school upon the CFD/MR being approved for the middle school and high school as part of the greenwood development. the CFD is expected to be approved in May. watch they are going to take all the damn money and still not open the school because they will say still not enough head count. although if its a STEM magnet i dont think they will have an issue filling it up.

qwerty said:
from reading the comments on nextdoor.com the school looks like it may open in the fall of 2016. heritage elementary will open as a STEM magnet school upon the CFD/MR being approved for the middle school and high school as part of the greenwood development. the CFD is expected to be approved in May. watch they are going to take all the damn money and still not open the school because they will say still not enough head count. although if its a STEM magnet i dont think they will have an issue filling it up.

It's great news for sure...quite frankly, I'll still be surprised if it opens before '17 or '18.  Note that the CFD for Greenwood is being used by Tustin as leverage to push TUSD to open Heritage.  Expect similar types of political posturing to occur for the middle and high schools moving forward.  Tustin and TUSD historically have not gotten along very well.

One other thing to note...Heritage will be accepting transfers to fill its headcount.  Qwerty...you just might see enough migration from west of Red Hill & Newport to chase you out of the area...jk :)

It's great news nonetheless...still a long way to go, but at least Tustin and TUSD are acknowledging the residents who have been making noise for the last 4 years (!!!!).

They should require testing to make the transfers from west of red hill/newport can't get in :)

Back