Got laid off....

[quote author="halfnote19" date=1225243888]I have unfortunately joined the ranks of the unemployed (along with my entire office)

If anyone knows of any mid level software programmer/engineer positions open please pm me. Thanks!</blockquote>

Sorry to hear that halfnote. It's getting ugly out there. Heard recently that American Express is evidently cutting back and laying off. They just terminated the assignmnents of a couple of contractors I had there in Phoenix. I am terminating three staff this Friday, with two more tentatively scheduled for November. We may close our entire Phoenix office as well since business has dried up there...

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1229161304]Bringing this thread back from the dead:

Mrs. Vas got 'slipped this afternoon.</blockquote>

So sorry, Vas. I hope you guys will be o.k.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1229161304]Bringing this thread back from the dead:

that's a bummer, i thought her job was secure. What was the lame excuse they gave?

-bix

[quote author="biscuitninja" date=1229167812][quote author="no_vaseline" date=1229161304]Bringing this thread back from the dead:

that's a bummer, i thought her job was secure. What was the lame excuse they gave?

-bix</blockquote>

Nonewhatsoever.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate your thoughts.

Pink slips <u>do not pwn</u>.

Sorry to hear the news, No_Vas.

So sorry, No Vas. I really enjoy your comments here and in other random places you are found. I don't think this thread could have stayed dead for long and unfortunately will probably be alive and well for the next year or so.

Sorry about the Mrs. getting laidoff, unfortunately I know exactly how that feels. Keep your and her head up. The one small positive is that California now has a 57-week unemployment benefit period (and probably going up with the next stimulus plan that will be passed).

Not good to see this is the reason for the bumpage. Sorry to hear about Mrs. Vas. I'm not liking the trend I am seeing here on IHB.

Sorry to hear the news Vas...

I suspect we are going to see much more of it very soon. A month ago, I thought my job and company would be kosher until the summer. Based off some forecasts they are having me do and a rather long and painful meeting on Friday, I am thinking I might be pink slipping myself come the end of February. I am closing down an office in early Jan and have already planned on 6 additional terminations, including two off my staff, between now and Feb 1st.

Nice to have unemployment last more than a half year but it would be really great if they temporarily upped the weekly max. $450/week is great if you are making $45K a year but not much assistance for those making six figures.

That sucks no_vas. I hope you weather the times relatively unscathed. I suspect my company may be reconsidering hiring me if oil stays in the dumper, which I think it may for awhile. Once again, much the same as many times before, I am thankful I did not succumb to the strong temptation to buy in SoCal right now.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1229253572]Sorry to hear the news Vas...

I suspect we are going to see much more of it very soon. A month ago, I thought my job and company would be kosher until the summer. Based off some forecasts they are having me do and a rather long and painful meeting on Friday, I am thinking I might be pink slipping myself come the end of February. I am closing down an office in early Jan and have already planned on 6 additional terminations, including two off my staff, between now and Feb 1st.

Nice to have unemployment last more than a half year but it would be really great if they temporarily upped the weekly max. $450/week is great if you are making $45K a year but not much assistance for those making six figures.</blockquote>
Exactly, for folks that make six figures $450 per week just doesn't cut it. With all the new extensions, unemployment benefits here in CA last for 57 weeks (probably gonna increase with the Obama simulus bill). Some rates lika MA, CT, and RI have unemployment checks of $650 to $900 per week. It's not pretty out there IPO. My good friend who works as a financial analyst for Toyota is getting concerning and has heard they are gonna essentially do away with bonuses. Thank goodness we have some money stashed away. I'm gonna be speaking about possibly working for a client of mine who is a real estate investor/developer who sold old most of his holdings in the past few years and is very liquid looking to pick up bargains and flip them for profit.

Back