Got laid off....

^^ Boston,

yep that was me. Unfortunately all the good jobs for me right now are in the Nevada desert or even worse places... (like Utah.. ha ha). It just depends, my wife has a great career, but i'm trying to warm her up to me going on contract engineering again. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Anyways good luck and let us know what happens.

-bix

biscuit,

If you're a nuclear scientist type you cold have been doing quant on Wall St the last 10 yrs making high 6 to potential 7 figures with bonus. I have friends there. The lifestyle sucks unless you're into living in NJ and riding a train 2hrs a day (as livingin the city w/ a family requires more like $2M/yr income). But you can make some $$$$$. Thats all over now.

My dream is to come back to OC as CEO of BRCM. OC really is the best place in the world to live. Hopefully UCI can kick some serious _ss over the next 20 yrs and spur the high tech/biotech growth.

Good Luck Shoob.

I got laid off once, and at first it was awful, but it turned out to be a blessing in the end.

[quote author="acpme" date=1214956815]please don't use my real name.</blockquote>

peter, my post was a joke. thanks for blacking out the name though i'm sure his coworker who was lurking probably wanted to remain anonymous.

[quote author="acpme" date=1215040407][quote author="acpme" date=1214956815]please don't use my real name.</blockquote>

peter, my post was a joke. thanks for blacking out the name though i'm sure his coworker who was lurking probably wanted to remain anonymous.</blockquote>

She does actually, I am trying to find out her screen name as we speak...sneaky sneaky.

On a side note, just got a job offer this morning, so it all worked out, thanks for the well wishes guys.

Good for you, that was a quick move.

But unfortunately I expect more people in OC to lose their jobs or reduce their income, me included.

The Shoobster is obviosuly well qualified. I always recall irvinesinglemom's laments about the extreme dearth of qualified candidates for her job openings in Irvine.

Congrats!

hmmm, if i were well qualified, i'm not sure i would have been laid off in the first place?

oh well, one man's loss is another man's gain.

When I first saw this thread on the main forum page I almost died laughing.

It reads ?Got Laid? totally missed the ?Off? part.

I was like way to go Shobby.

Had to share that, glad everything worked out for you.

Congrats Shoob. Good luck on the new gig.

I had a sit down with my CEO today... We were discussing our "hunkering down" tactics as business seems to be sliding off the edge of a cliff of late. I pulled one of my staff aside today and quietly suggested he get his resume firmed up and maybe even throw it out there on Monster just in case. He'll probably bail on me before I need to cut, if it even comes to that, but he's a good young lad with a hefty lease payment on his Lexus IS and a mortgage on a townhouse in The GG that he bought in 2005.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1215074481]I had a sit down with my CEO today... We were discussing our "hunkering down" tactics as business seems to be sliding off the edge of a cliff of late. </blockquote>

Wow IPOP, that's 180 degrees from your posts two months ago. Back then you were saying your company was doing great, lots of business and still hiring.

Have things started going bad that fast?

[quote author="acpme" date=1215040407][quote author="acpme" date=1214956815]please don't use my real name.</blockquote>

peter, my post was a joke. thanks for blacking out the name though i'm sure his coworker who was lurking probably wanted to remain anonymous.</blockquote>

acpme, I knew you were joking, I know the Person shooby is talking about...

But in any case, it's against IHB policy to post any kind of personal information of any Member such as name, e-mail address or any other kind of info, I'm sure you'll all agree that this is a good Policy...

well done shooby, good luck in your new job!

[quote author="alan" date=1215084844][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1215074481]I had a sit down with my CEO today... We were discussing our "hunkering down" tactics as business seems to be sliding off the edge of a cliff of late. </blockquote>

Wow IPOP, that's 180 degrees from your posts two months ago. Back then you were saying your company was doing great, lots of business and still hiring.

Have things started going bad that fast?</blockquote>

In the last month or so we've seen a bunch of cutbacks in Charlotte by BOFA and Wachovia. I had a sizeable headcount at both of those companies and I'd say we have lost nearly 20% of that customer revenue in the span of a month... Many companies in Charlotte appear to be belt-tightening and it previously had been a nice pocket of strength. Phoenix is lagging, but has been for a while, and OC and LA appear to be cutting back on IT-related hiring right now as well. We invested big coin in some good seasoned guys recently to handle the SoCal market and they are struggling on the sales side.

[quote author="irvinesinglemom" date=1215088667]Boston - it's just getting worse, too. Anyone looking for a job with experience in pharma/biotech/device RA/QA, let me know!!!</blockquote>

And any software engineers, QA analysts, PMs, DBAs, sys admins, etc. looking a gig, let ME know! We might not have a ton of requirements locally, but definitely have some juicy ones...

I have unfortunately joined the ranks of the unemployed (along with my entire office)

If anyone knows of any mid level software programmer/engineer positions (c#, .net, web) open please pm me. Thanks!

[quote author="halfnote19" date=1225243888]I have unfortunately joined the ranks of the unemployed (along with my entire office)

If anyone knows of any mid level software programmer/engineer positions open please pm me. Thanks!</blockquote>

There are always openings at UCI, but I have to warn you, the pay is low. Benefits are good, though.

Back