Got laid off....

Shooby_IHB

My company is going through a major downsizing in this horrid economy. They let go of 15 people this past Friday, out of about 75 or so. Another round of cuts coming this week. They gave me the shoulder tap on Friday, said they were eliminating my position in Finance, but I had two choices, either take a 2 week severance and cut ties, or work on a temporary project that will last about a month, and then take a two week severance once it was done.

I nodded and elected to work the temporary job. So I can collect a check and interview at the same time. Good thing I already had an interview set up for Monday (Today). Talk about luck, I got the call for the interview on Thursday, got laid off Friday. And tonight I just got an email for the final interview tomorrow afternoon.

Others weren't so fortunate, one lady who got laid off was in tears since her boyfriend just got laid off the same week, and didn't know what they'd do. Another lady was in tears as well, who said she would now have trouble finding a job and feeding her daughters.

Truly a sad time right now.

So sorry Shoob. C'mere for an IHB group hug.

P.S. To all you laid off, unemployed, underemployed people out there.....LAPD is hiring like crazy. :exclaim:

Sorry to hear, but it sounds like you at least have something in the works. We're in the same boat as your coworker here--2 incomes, 1 company. 3 rounds of layoffs so far this year...and no income on the horizon. Much worse than the '90s downturn this time around.

Troop, I'm guessing LAPD isn't looking for old fogies. :coolsmile:

Perhaps we ought to start a job thread. I would recommend that only those looking for jobs post. Alternately, if hirers were permitted to post their needs, it would need to be moderated closely so that no impermissible restrictions were listed in the posting (e.g., race, gender, age, etc.).

Good luck, Shooby!!

Ahh, I tell people not to worry. Just take one step at a time and keep looking forward.

I've been a contract engineer so getting laid off every 6-12 months was a lifestyle. Just apply for unemployment, look at your finances, look at your savings (hopefully people haven't been so retarded and blew alot of it) and set forth a plan. Again, one step at a time and don't let things depress ya.

good luck

-bix

Good luck, Shooby.

P.S. You may want to go back and edit your posts to remove personally identifying info.

Thanks guys.

Haha, its ok, me and her are friends. plus if my interview goes well this afternoon I hope to be outta here by next week :)

[quote author="Shooby" date=1214958630]Thanks guys.

Haha, its ok, me and her are friends. plus if my interview goes well this afternoon I hope to be outta here by next week :)</blockquote>

Good luck Shooby, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your lay-off but be positive, most of the time it can be a blessing in disguise, it opens the window to new opportunities and gives us the shove we need to find them....

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1214949462]Perhaps we ought to start a job thread. I would recommend that only those looking for jobs post. Alternately, if hirers were permitted to post their needs, it would need to be moderated closely so that no impermissible restrictions were listed in the posting (e.g., race, gender, age, etc.).

Good luck, Shooby!!</blockquote>

Good idea Eva...lets see what the Admin have to say...

Or we can post what companies have been laying off/overall size of the companies so we know which companies to avoid applying to.

And if you currently work there, perhaps a review of the company as well.

I work for a manufacturing company that makes top tier after market wheels and brakes for motorcycles. I always believed we were fueled by HELOCS since who the hell need $2k wheels for their bikes? We'll i guess it was true. We just cut 30% of our staff and closed the manufacturing side every other Friday. Not to mention that current employees wages are now frozen - no more cost of living increases. Fortunately I survived the cut although my boss who has been working there for 25 years barely made it. People at HR were crying since some of the manual laborers has been around for 20+ years and they were asking to take a pay cut since there is no other job that they know how to do. Besides they needed the health insurance for their family. In the end they still got axed. Its a tough world out there.

I wish you best of luck Shooby hopefully the final interview for the new gig turns out great.

Good luck Shooby. The OC economy is quite fragile. Perhaps look into relocating to an area with more jobs. I just ran into an old high school friend up here in Silicon Valley who made the move from OC 1 year ago. He and I both miss the OC lifestyle, but we both agreed that given that we're in high tech and the plethora of jobs up here, it was sheer stupidity not to move here sooner. We both made the error of prioritizing lifestyle over career. That's fine when you're on the downside of your career but we're both late 30s/early 40s with room to run. I find that happiness in my professional situation is a feedback loop for happiness in my personal life. Job stress sucks.

Hopefully OC will push policies to diversify the economy. It is too dependent on financial services and real estate. Better to be in finance for a high tech company than in IT for a financial services company.

Back