Gold prices- take a guess

[quote author="morekaos"]Nope, been shorting all the way up to 1200. Short the trend, at This point almost all are profitable.[/quote]

Yes, of course they are. The same way you said you had shorted in the $1100 to $1200 range until it was shown that you had actually shorted at $1000.

[quote author="janet"]
[quote author="morekaos"]Nope, been shorting all the way up to 1200. Short the trend, at This point almost all are profitable.[/quote]

Yes, of course they are. The same way you said you had shorted in the $1100 to $1200 range until it was shown that you had actually shorted at $1000.[/quote]

No one puts on a position all at once then just sits there. When building a position (short or long) one legs into it a piece at a time. This is not a game of all in the day you say it. Look again at the constant queries as prices rose as to a change in position. I consistently remained to the short side. I post here because I enjoy the interaction and feedback. I have not managed money succesfully for over 25 years by not knowing what I am doing. If you want specific day to day advice than you have pay at the door.

[quote author="morekaos"]
[quote author="janet"]

Yes, of course they are. The same way you said you had shorted in the $1100 to $1200 range until it was shown that you had actually shorted at $1000.[/quote]

No one puts on a position all at once then just sits there. When building a position (short or long) one legs into it a piece at a time. This is not a game of all in the day you say it. Look again at the constant queries as prices rose as to a change in position. I consistently remained to the short side. I post here because I enjoy the interaction and feedback. I have not managed money succesfully for over 25 years by not knowing what I am doing. If you want specific day to day advice than you have pay at the door.[/quote]

Exactly! And anyone who wants to know how I am doing, or Panda isn't... can join the Panda Challenge, which I really don't pay much attention to, but here is how my GLD position is doing...

14cfozt.jpg

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
[quote author="graphrix"]

And if you are wrong?[/quote]
I have a stop-limit loss in place on my trades. I sold the Jan 25 and Jan 27.5 VIX calls last Tuesday when I saw the market was rallying. I have adjusted my stop-limit trades down so that if they trigger I'll still be in the green. Unless something very unexpected happens between now and Jan. 20th I don't see my stop-limit orders being triggered. I also sold the Feb 30 VIX calls last week and will watch the market before I sell anymore. I like the fact that selling these VIX options suck up less of my buying power and that they are cash settled options (i.e. not having to buy or short shares).[/quote]

So how is that working out for you? Did your stop limits trigger today or yesterday? Me thinks now would be a better time to sell VIX calls, especially if you know how European options work. But, to each their own...

[quote author="morekaos"]

No one puts on a position all at once then just sits there. When building a position (short or long) one legs into it a piece at a time. This is not a game of all in the day you say it. Look again at the constant queries as prices rose as to a change in position. I consistently remained to the short side. I post here because I enjoy the interaction and feedback. I have not managed money succesfully for over 25 years by not knowing what I am doing. If you want specific day to day advice than you have pay at the door.[/quote]

Exactly! And anyone who wants to know how I am doing, or Panda isn't... can join the Panda Challenge, which I really don't pay much attention to, but here is how my GLD position is doing...

14cfozt.jpg
[/quote]

How did the puts do?

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
I have a stop-limit loss in place on my trades. I sold the Jan 25 and Jan 27.5 VIX calls last Tuesday when I saw the market was rallying. I have adjusted my stop-limit trades down so that if they trigger I'll still be in the green. Unless something very unexpected happens between now and Jan. 20th I don't see my stop-limit orders being triggered. I also sold the Feb 30 VIX calls last week and will watch the market before I sell anymore. I like the fact that selling these VIX options suck up less of my buying power and that they are cash settled options (i.e. not having to buy or short shares).[/quote]

So how is that working out for you? Did your stop limits trigger today or yesterday? Me thinks now would be a better time to sell VIX calls, especially if you know how European options work. But, to each their own...[/quote]
All of the Jan VIX calls that I sold expired worthless, about 100 in total...from $21 to $27.50. I only sold 20 VIX $30 Feb calls and I moved down the stop limit order to $.10 over what I sold them for last week (triggered Friday morning). If the VIX comes down I'll look to sell VIX out-of-the-money calls ($35-$40).

[quote author="morekaos"]Ta-daa![/quote]
That pesky 1080 support didn't hold, huh? I'm loving today's action...easy money!

And the congress just increase our govt debt limit for another 1.2T. We will have some great opportunities to buy gold, sliver, copper on sale in the next couple months for the long haul.

Bondtrader and MoreKaos,

Currently UUP is at 23.70. What is your best guess where this will top at? I just don't see it going to 26-27 like it did in Nov '08 and March '09.

MoreKaos, do you see the DOW and S&P bottoming around April?

UUP is forming a classic reverse head and shoulder pattern with solid break of 200 day moving average with decent volume today, my price target is around 24.5-25 for the short term, implying S&P hitting around 1020 area. My best guess will be UUP pulls back to around 23 first while S&P bumping its head to the resistance of 1085, then dollar make the run to 25 and S&P sinking. Given the market always overshoot to both upside and downside, I won't be surprised to see S&P gets under 1000. The fact it can only hit 1102 and being way short of even touching the 50 day moving average (1113) during the rebound early this week shows how weak this market was. Just like in the last 10 months of buy the dip first then ask later, now looks like it's time to short the rebound first and dont even ask.
My 2cents

Thanks Bondtrader!
I agree with what you've posted. I just wanted confirmation. You're awesome! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

I agree on the BT's UUP call however I think DJIA holds at 9800 support and rallies off the low. (My support calls didn't work out so well in 2007 so take that with a grain of salt.) Gold and oil will continue to the downside for now. Maybe a technical dead cat bounce but I think the uptrend's back has broken.

MoreKaos, So you don't see the DOW busting down 7500 or breaking below March 2009 low? I think the FED will continue to print infiniate amounts of money to avoid what happened in March 2009. How low do you see the DOW bottoming and when?

I have to say.. I'm pretty impressed with your call for S&P500 Dec 31, 2009. You were right on! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

For Dow, the 200day moving average is around 9500, I will guess that level should provide some good support, just like 1020 on S&P. If we shot right through then, watch out below. I believe we might close green today and start rally back up a little next week before the big drop again.

Back