Gold prices- take a guess

Good insight into how to think contrarian in this instance

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Is-the-gold-craze-just-hmoney-1281904246.html?x=0

But at some point late last year, as gold touched $1,200 an ounce, greed seemed to take over from fear as the main motivation to buy. Mark Hulbert, who tracks investment newsletters, notes gold scribes have become so enamored of their subject that they're telling subscribers to devote more than two-thirds of their portfolios to it....That's not so surprising. "When something goes up as quickly as gold has, the main thought is, Why am I not in it? And how can I get in it quickly?" says behavioral economist Dan Ariely, author of Predictably Irrational. "That's the same thing that happened with housing."

[quote author="morekaos"]Good insight into how to think contrarian in this instance

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Is-the-gold-craze-just-hmoney-1281904246.html?x=0

But at some point late last year, as gold touched $1,200 an ounce, greed seemed to take over from fear as the main motivation to buy. Mark Hulbert, who tracks investment newsletters, notes gold scribes have become so enamored of their subject that they're telling subscribers to devote more than two-thirds of their portfolios to it....That's not so surprising. "When something goes up as quickly as gold has, the main thought is, Why am I not in it? And how can I get in it quickly?" says behavioral economist Dan Ariely, author of Predictably Irrational. "That's the same thing that happened with housing."

[/quote]
Hulbert's latest take on sentiment:

"Consider the Hulbert Gold Newsletter Sentiment Index (HGNSI), which reflects the average recommended gold market exposure among a subset of short-term gold timing newsletters tracked by the Hulbert Financial Digest. It currently stands at just 10.9%, down from 53.8% as recently as two trading days previously.

In other words, the average short-term gold timer we track has reduced his or her recommended gold exposure by 43 percentage points in just two days' time. That's among the biggest plunges in gold sentiment I've ever seen."

from http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sentiment-picture-rapidly-improving-for-gold-2009-12-23

Very short term indicators will jump like a frog. Look again at the last time I shorted both gold and oil in 2008. Got a lot of flak as prices kept rising. Shorted on the way up multiple times but coverd it all once it collapsed. This time will be no different. Not an exact science. I get paid for being right most of the time. Not every time.

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia"]Gold broke 1100 today..
Panda, will you load up if it comes around/drops to 1000? I remember you were looking for below 1k buying window..[/quote]

Cubic, sorry i missed your post. The ideal range I am waiting for $950 - $1050. I will start buying at $1050 and below and start loading up heavily IF and WHEN gold drops below $1,000. I am waiting for a nice correction to occur in the equities market both foreign and domestic. Near term i see a dollar rally. Long term the dollar is doomed.

[quote author="Panda "]
[quote author="Cubic Zirconia"]Gold broke 1100 today..
Panda, will you load up if it comes around/drops to 1000? I remember you were looking for below 1k buying window..[/quote]

Cubic, sorry i missed your post. The ideal range I am waiting for $950 - $1050. I will start buying at $1050 and below and start loading up heavily IF and WHEN gold drops below $1,000. I am waiting for a nice correction to occur in the equities market both foreign and domestic. Near term i see a dollar rally. Long term the dollar is doomed.[/quote]
Panda, sell the Jan and Feb VIX out-of-the-money calls. I don't see any big downturns in the next 1-1.5 month as I think earnings will mostly beat estimates.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
[quote author="Panda "]

Cubic, sorry i missed your post. The ideal range I am waiting for $950 - $1050. I will start buying at $1050 and below and start loading up heavily IF and WHEN gold drops below $1,000. I am waiting for a nice correction to occur in the equities market both foreign and domestic. Near term i see a dollar rally. Long term the dollar is doomed.[/quote]
Panda, sell the Jan and Feb VIX out-of-the-money calls. I don't see any big downturns in the next 1-1.5 month as I think earnings will mostly beat estimates.[/quote]

And if you are wrong?

[quote author="graphrix"]
[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
Panda, sell the Jan and Feb VIX out-of-the-money calls. I don't see any big downturns in the next 1-1.5 month as I think earnings will mostly beat estimates.[/quote]

And if you are wrong?[/quote]
I have a stop-limit loss in place on my trades. I sold the Jan 25 and Jan 27.5 VIX calls last Tuesday when I saw the market was rallying. I have adjusted my stop-limit trades down so that if they trigger I'll still be in the green. Unless something very unexpected happens between now and Jan. 20th I don't see my stop-limit orders being triggered. I also sold the Feb 30 VIX calls last week and will watch the market before I sell anymore. I like the fact that selling these VIX options suck up less of my buying power and that they are cash settled options (i.e. not having to buy or short shares).

Another nice $26.90 haircut for the yellow metal today! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> Get Down Boy, because I've been waiting for this setup for a long time!

It is always fun to try to predict the markets for 2010 just to see how many things you get right and wrong. This one was made on Friday, January 1, 2010. In 2009, I was correct that a major correction was coming for gold once it reached above $1200 an ounce, but completely wrong on my 750 S&P500 prediction at December 31, 2009. Perhaps I was off on my timing, but perhaps 750 S&P will happen in 2010. Congrats on MoreKaos for winning that contest.

Let the Games begin!

Panda's Ten Market Predictions for 2010

1. Gold touches $1,500 per oz. in 2010, representing about a 50% gain from the current level. The current U.S. dollar rally will bring gold down to close to $1000 from its recent top at $1240. Silver goes up in sympathy, reaching $25 per oz. HUI passes $600 with many junior gold/silver miners doubling and tripling. Gold would be treated as the only solid asset sought by both ordinary people and foreign central banks with further deterioration of fiat money.

2. US dollar index goes to 60. Long run, I see the dollar losing 50% of its purchasing power down to the dollar index of 40. The current US dollar rebound is likely short-lived. After briefly touching 80 (possibly overshooting to 82), in order to squeeze and scare enough shorts, the US dollar index continues its downward trend for the majority of 2010 until it touches 60. Most of the foreign central banks don't want to hold US dollars anymore, but they have difficulty getting out of this situation without substantially hurting themselves. The best way for both sides (foreign central banks and the US Fed) is to have a steady and orderly decline, around 20% per year.

3. The current bear market rebound of the S&P 500 will continue to rally into January with sharp declines to come in the very near term. Soon the market will face another over the cliff scary 2nd leg down sometime in the first quarter. I see a difficult 1st half of 2010. I do not see the DOW reaching above 11,000, nor do i see it going below 6500 like it did in March 2009. This is consistent with current Wall St. thinking and behavior of squeezing more juice and bonuses for itself as long as it can, before the 2nd dip of economic depression kicks in for the general public.

4. Citigroup goes below $2 again. The current difficulty of raising capital by Citi says much about the dire situation of this firm. This is a horrible PR disaster for Citi and bad decision making by Citi management, since now everyone in the world knows that the only purpose of paying back the TARP money was to pay Citi's fat cat management fat bonuses. Citi's portfolio, in the hundreds of billions, is still greatly exposed to further deterioration in both the residential and commercial real estate markets. Just the potential meltdown on the commercial mortgages and derivatives in its portfolio would wipe out its tiny owners' equities quickly. Maybe at that time, they will apply for TARP money again (of course, after pocketing their bonuses?)

5. The ten-year U.S. Treasury yield doubles from about 1.5% currently to 3%. This could be a big surprise for both the Fed and investors. The Fed can only control the short term rate and the debt market smells and senses something is going very wrong with both the US dollar and US debt - a dumping process quickly kicks in. In addition, deflation worries switch to inflation worries, not typical inflation but monetary hyperinflation already happening. A continuously falling US dollar, out of control money supply, and limitless increases in government deficits let investors see no light at the end of the tunnel. This is going to be worse than the last decade of Japan since the whole fairness of our system is under question by saving the few its riches at the expense of the US general public.

6. The current rebound of the S&P/Case-Schiller Index is short-lived. The Schiller Index will drop more than 15% in 2010, below 120. Residential real estate faces tremendous pressure due to growing ARM resets from 2010 to 2012. The real estate crash spreads into commercial properties, and large scale commercial development projects fail left and right next year, like fireworks in the sky. The worst news is that both the residential and commercial real estate markets will look to take at least a decade or two to recover, thanks to Wall St.'s financial engineering for over a decade. As for the Irvine real estate market, my best guess for the bottom will be in May of 2011, where we will see prices at May 2003 levels (ppsf at $280 and index of 150).

7. After buying time for another half year, the private equity (PE) industry continues to face pressure in 2010, especially in the 2nd half. The leverage they implemented amplifies their losses and PE investors demand more transparency on the real value of their investments. They finally realize this leveraged business model doesn't work, which is basically leveraging tiny returns in order to earn lucrative fees for the owners of PE firms. It is either they win or you lose. More hedge funds close down their shops in 2010, after the 2nd economic dip, since they realize they will never get back to their high-watermark to start earning their lucrative fees again.

8. China continues to grow about 9% in 2010, after 9% in 2009. China's efforts to encourage its consumers to spend more and save less (which is what we have done here for more than 2 decades) continue, and the central government starts catching on and beefing up social security programs, which further benefits certain industries like healthcare. This shift is behind the continuing strength in the economy. The biggest headache for the Chinese government is how to deal with 80% of its foreign reserves being in some kind of US dollar-denominated instruments, facing further depreciation and value reduction.

9. Inflation reaches 10% based on pre-Clinton era CPI, benchmarked by www.shadowstats.com (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with shadowstats.com, and I am not responsible for the content of such site.) In order to compare apples to apples with the 1970s, it makes sense to return to the same formula of the pre-Clinton era for the CPI calculation. Once inflation is out of its cage, as I believe it will be in 2010, it is impossible to tame it without dramatic measures as Paul Volcker did in the 1980s.

10. Oil touches 3 digits ($100) again in 2010. The current oil price of around $70 limits supply since most tar sand oil producers are not much better than at breakeven. Nuclear energy would receive its deserved attention when the uranium supply from the former Soviet Union is getting close to its end. Most of the green technologies are more hype and scam than reality. The threat of global warming is also greatly exaggerated by the politicians and media. People still remember in the 1970s, everyone was told by the politicians and media that the earth temperature was dropping and mankind was back to the ice age. Only 3 decades later, we are told the opposite. The reality is that human beings don't have control and can't do anything about the earth's temperature either cold or warm, up or down. It is just another
example of hypocrisy and political correctness at work, wasting tons of money along the way.

[quote author="irvinelurker"]http://www.321gold.com/editorials/tan/tan123009.html

Can't hide from Google...[/quote]

lol! Man! I thought Graphrix would be the one who would catch me <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D --> I agree with most of Steve Tan's predictions, but i made some slight modifications. Steve thinks that the DOW will continue its rally until July where i think we are headed down now.

Good thing I only took note of the part about Irvine real estate... that might have been the only part from Panda (although IR said $275/sft too).

Nope, been shorting all the way up to 1200. Short the trend, at This point almost all are profitable.

MoreKaos, when do you plan on reversing (selling your gold shorts and going long?) You really think Gold can fall below a $1000. You think the chances are high. I've noticed that lately gold has been moving exactly the same direction as the DOW.

Back