Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Yes, but I am non-religious

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • No, but I believe in a higher power

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
I was waiting for the thief on the cross example.

I think the point I am trying to get across is "the by faith alone" is somewhat misleading. I understand what it means but I've seen many a "Christians" who use that as an excuse to do things that is either against their faith, or wrong but claim it's for their faith (like the Crusades or even HOI's missionary example). To me, faith is a journey, not a one time event and we constantly have to practice and develop our faith.

As humans, our works, our actions... are a representation (not a byproduct) of our faith or beliefs. And maybe because I am of the belief that mankind is mostly "good", it's interesting to hear someone tell me that the Rabbi who has done good things for the community will not find his way into eternal life with God... or the Muslim kids I play basketball with who are very devout in their faith, will not have the same afterlife as Christians.

It's been said here many times that we can't make that call because as humans we can't judge other humans, but if you are in the position where your faith says that no one can enter the Kingdom but through Christ, isn't that a form of "judgement"?

Does this mean yaliu will not be there? Even though he loves everyone?

As humans, our works, our actions... are a representation (not a byproduct) of our faith or beliefs. And maybe because I am of the belief that mankind is mostly "good", it's interesting to hear someone tell me that the Rabbi who has done good things for the community will not find his way into eternal life with God... or the Muslim kids I play basketball with who are very devout in their faith, will not have the same afterlife as Christians.

Fortunately, this decision on the afterlife isn't left to me as I could make wrong ones pretty easily.

The question isn't what I think or what anyone else thinks about the afterlife, it's what God says. All paths do not lead to God - if they did, there would be no such thing as justice or truth. There isn't a "Christian" path or a "XYZ" path, but only the one God has laid out. That pathway is through Christ and Christ alone. It's a decision everyone has to face at one point or another. People have the free will to believe in anything they wish, but ones faith hopefully is an informed one. The Rabbi you speak about believes that Christians are lost. The Muslim believes that the Christian is lost. Christians believe both the Rabbi and the Muslim are lost. Many people have looked into religion, found it lacking and become Atheists. That happens with free will and because every religion conflicts with each other. Does that mean that a person who is spiritual will be given eternal life? It's not my call (judgement), but God's.

Christians are called to be good witnesses to the unchurched and unsaved - to attract, rather than repel people to Christ. We don't see it as often as we'd like, but that doesn't mean the message is false. We can still befriend the Rabbi and the Muslim, but we should also express our faith in actions and at appropriate times by words - to live in the world but not be of the world.

My .02c

The James quote is a major departure point between Catholics and Protestants.  Some believe that you need to do good works to demonstrate your faith.  Others believe that faith alone saves you.  It's not an easy solve.

Personally, the analysis comes down to what is mean by "faith" and "works."  The term faith for me is two things:  1) I am a sinner and 2) I need Christ to wash away my sins and receive salvation.  Now, I can say I am a Christian and I believe in Christ but deep down inside, do I believe it?  A couple of ways to demonstrate my point

1)  You come to my house and find the door locked.  You call me and I tell you the door is unlock and you're welcome to come in.  You try the door again..still locked.  I tell you that I believe the door is unlock and you can come in...but alas the door remains locked.  Similarly, making that commitment to be a Christian means that you have to make an active and honest decision to "unlock the door" of your heart and soul to Christ.  If you truly do that, you are saved. 

2)  The modern movie demonstration is the Matrix (which clearly had this idea of free will and choice in mind).  You have a choice between the red pill and blue pill...you have to make a choice.  You can say I choose the red pill...put it in your mouth but never swallow.  Nothing happens...you can say it all you want but if you don't take that step, nothing is different.  However, if you do take the red pill, your world is never the same again.

As for the term "work," I take that to mean that once you truly accept God/Christ, you can't help but exhibit works.  As soon as you open that door/take that red pill, your world is turned completely upside down.  You don't see the things the same way and you have a new way of seeing things.  Now, you can choose to ignore those things and "act in the same way" but in reality, you can't.  God/Christ is in you so everything you think about do will be affected.  You may think twice about doing the same things you did before...maybe you see things different.  The best example I can think about is if when you have a kid, everything is different.  You think different, view things differently, and are affected by different things.  Being a Christian is like that but much more.

Additionally, "works" doesn't just mean charitable works.  It also means internal works...being a better person...dealing with your issues.  The thief on the cross did nothing many would deem "works" of any significance but he did.  He acknowledged his sins, confess them to Christ, and ask Christ to forgive him.  Christ did and recognized that the thief truly did this...that is why the thief is going to heaven.

Ultimately, the verse in James to me, in an explanation of what it truly means to accept Christ as your Lord and savior.  James states a few verse earlier that acknowledgment of the existence of God and Christ is irrelevant because even the demon/Satan knows that.  What is needed is the bowing of the knees and acknowledgment that God/Christ is in charge.  That is why free will and faith are so important...if you knew that God existed as a matter of fact, you are not making a choice to follow him.

I think the point I am trying to get across is "the by faith alone" is somewhat misleading. I understand what it means but I've seen many a "Christians" who use that as an excuse to do things that is either against their faith, or wrong but claim it's for their faith (like the Crusades or even HOI's missionary example). To me, faith is a journey, not a one time event and we constantly have to practice and develop our faith.

With all due respect, you keep mixing up people who say that they are Christian with Christ.  Those are definitely not the same.  Faith is also not "practiced..."  The only act of faith that actually required is for you to take that first step to open the door and let Christ/God in.  Now, you can certainly build on your faith with God/Christ and grew in that relationship but salvation is just dependent up on the one mustard grain seed of faith.

It's been said here many times that we can't make that call because as humans we can't judge other humans, but if you are in the position where your faith says that no one can enter the Kingdom but through Christ, isn't that a form of "judgement"?

Absolutely, but I am not making that decision.  God is and He has made a single true/false question as the test.  That is the simplest and fairest way to "judge".  It's not based upon one's honest belief or what they do or don't do...it's a simple question of faith.

@IC:

I think this is where people like HOI point out the "convenience" of the Bible. What James said is fairly straightforward, faith without works is empty. How is it that "we can only be saved through faith alone in Jesus" can only be translated one way yet what James writes can be seen in different ways?

The example of the thief on the cross is not a good argument against this as not many of us are going to be moments before death talking to Jesus in the flesh and given the opportunity to be contrite.

You are correct, accepting Christ as your savior does change the way you live your life, your works. But I think that's the point that HOI and myself are getting at, too often there are people who claim they are saved. How many Christian leaders have you read about doing un-Christian works? Look at the televangelist scandals, the corruption of leadership of churches (for both power and money) and the sexual abuse issues with Catholic clergy. I'm sure all those people said they accepted Jesus.

Since we can't truly know what is in someone's heart, their actions is really the only thing that helps us as humans understand one's beliefs. To me, faith is practiced... by that I mean lived. Not "practiced" like Allen Iverson but practiced in a sense that it is more than just acceptance of God but also the practical application of that faith so that others see Christ through you, as Jesus said. I guess I should backtrack here as earlier I stated that I know what my path is and where I am headed... it should be I hope I know where I'm headed because as a human, I know that I am fallible and I could do things that cloud that future.

No one is perfect, many people believe in God and think that's enough, but to me, it's more than that. How many Sunday Christians do you know? How many holiday Christians? Now please don't mistake this as a criticism, but prior to this thread, how many TI members would have guessed you were a Christian (and that also applies to me too)? Our action/works should display our faith.

And just like both you and GH says it's God's decision to determine what is the fate of people who don't believe in Jesus, I also feel that I can't confidently say they will not have eternal life with God otherwise as that feels like intolerance. I think that is a big issue for me with some of these forms of Christianity, even as SGIP mentions that Jews and Muslims think that Christians are lost, I don't get that feeling. In my experience, other religions seem more accepting of Christians than vice versa.

And I think that goes back to belief in God and belief in the "right" God. In almost every culture, there is some belief in a higher power, just man's quest for knowledge, the seeking of answers seems to me an indicator that there is something greater than us out there. But this "uniqueness" of Christianity where it's not enough to only believe in God, but also to believe in Jesus as the son of God and God in man's form as the only way to salvation, is a struggle for many outside of Christianity and even within it because the world is made up of so many people and I can't say with conviction like you can that if they don't share that same faith, they will not end up in the same place.

And maybe that's my big fault, my sin. But as I said, to me (and maybe just me), faith doesn't happen during a single moment, it's a continual evolution of my understanding of God. If man were perfect, the idea of salvation by acceptance of Christ would be enough. However, we are not, that's where works/actions comes into the picture. You bring up comparing Christians to Christ... but that's what Christianity is, humans trying to be "Christ-like". No human can be, it's a work in progress that should continually be "practiced" (or lived). I understand your idea of true acceptance will lead to works but you keep forgetting that you're still human. Believing in God doesn't give you superpowers, just like having a child doesn't automatically make you a good father. You have to work at it.

I think this is where people like HOI point out the "convenience" of the Bible. What James said is fairly straightforward, faith without works is empty. How is it that "we can only be saved through faith alone in Jesus" can only be translated one way yet what James writes can be seen in different ways?

Because it's unfair and often misleading to pull a single verse out of the Bible...you need to recognize context and how the quote fits into the narrative.  It's no different than any other quote.  People read into the quote how they would like it.  There are numerous of verses in the Bible that talk about salvation being based on grace and faith, and not your works.

For me, the interpretation make sense because as GH says, if work is a requirement, it diminishes faith and what Christ did on the cross.  I have no problems with people having different interpretations of what the Bible means, that's a human trait.  You read the text, discuss it with other Christians, and ultimately mediate on it through prayer with God. 

The example of the thief on the cross is not a good argument against this as not many of us are going to be moments before death talking to Jesus in the flesh and given the opportunity to be contrite.

You can do that whether Jesus is here in the flesh or not.  He being in the flesh adds nothing to the equation of your salvation.  Your salvation comes from your true acceptance of Him as your savior...nothing more, nothing less.

You are correct, accepting Christ as your savior does change the way you live your life, your works. But I think that's the point that HOI and myself are getting at, too often there are people who claim they are saved. How many Christian leaders have you read about doing un-Christian works? Look at the televangelist scandals, the corruption of leadership of churches (for both power and money) and the sexual abuse issues with Catholic clergy. I'm sure all those people said they accepted Jesus.

1)  Just because someone say that they are saved or accept Christ, doesn't mean that they do.  Exactly what James is talking about

2)  Even if you are saved, it does not mean that you do not sin.  I am a Christian but I still have my issues and hangups.  You need to separate salvation (accepting Christ) and development.maturity (growing your faith and developing a relationship with Him).  The first is simple and requires faith.  The latter required faith and action. 

Since we can't truly know what is in someone's heart, their actions is really the only thing that helps us as humans understand one's beliefs. To me, faith is practiced... by that I mean lived. Not "practiced" like Allen Iverson but practiced in a sense that it is more than just acceptance of God but also the practical application of that faith so that others see Christ through you, as Jesus said. I guess I should backtrack here as earlier I stated that I know what my path is and where I am headed... it should be I hope I know where I'm headed because as a human, I know that I am fallible and I could do things that cloud that future.

1)  It doesn't matter what is in someone else's heart or what their intent is.  That's between them and God.  I can only account for myself and my relationship with God. 

2)  Again, you are mixing up salvation with development.  You can receive salvation but not mature as a Christian.  Two different standards. 

No one is perfect, many people believe in God and think that's enough, but to me, it's more than that. How many Sunday Christians do you know? How many holiday Christians? Now please don't mistake this as a criticism, but prior to this thread, how many TI members would have guessed you were a Christian (and that also applies to me too)? Our action/works should display our faith.

1)  Again...saying it doesn't mean it's true. 

2)  It should but that's a sign of Christian maturity, not whether you are or are not saved.

And just like both you and GH says it's God's decision to determine what is the fate of people who don't believe in Jesus, I also feel that I can't confidently say they will not have eternal life with God otherwise as that feels like intolerance. I think that is a big issue for me with some of these forms of Christianity, even as SGIP mentions that Jews and Muslims think that Christians are lost, I don't get that feeling. In my experience, other religions seem more accepting of Christians than vice versa.

Why is it intolerance?  I don't have any disdain or hatred for people who are not Christians.  They are welcome to have their beliefs as I am.  I don't think lesser of them as people and people who say that they are Christians certainly aren't become saints.    I completely accept Christians and non-Christians alike.  Jesus stated that there really two things to do as a Christian:  Love God and love your neighbor...those two things are the pillars of being a Christian.

Whether they receive eternal salvation is not intolerance.  Christians believe that there is a single way...just as Muslims and Jews do. 

I think you are mixing up people who say they are Christians with Christ.  Those are not the same things.  People join churches for a lot of reasons, many of them completely unrelated to Christ.  People also tend to congregate with like-thinking people.  If you are an intolerant racists, you will congregate with intolerant racists...calling such a group a church does not make their views any more acceptable. 

And I think that goes back to belief in God and belief in the "right" God. In almost every culture, there is some belief in a higher power, just man's quest for knowledge, the seeking of answers seems to me an indicator that there is something greater than us out there. But this "uniqueness" of Christianity where it's not enough to only believe in God, but also to believe in Jesus as the son of God and God in man's form as the only way to salvation, is a struggle for many outside of Christianity and even within it because the world is made up of so many people and I can't say with conviction like you can that if they don't share that same faith, they will not end up in the same place.

Of course it's a struggle...it's a choice and the acknowledgment that you as a person can't do anything to obtain salvation.  Every other religion states that you have to perform certain rituals and acts in order to obtain salvation but those are based upon human capabilities and environment.  To remove salvation from those terms is what separate Christianity from other religion.

Your struggle is the need to square justice with human morality.  If a person is good, why shouldn't he go to heaven just because he didn't believe in Christ.  But what makes a person "good"?  Whose standard are we going with?  Why do some people have two loving parents and a loving home while other are born into an environment of chaos and despair?  If the first person grows up and becomes a good person and the latter doesn't, is that fair? 

What if you have mental illness or were victimize as a child and go out and do bad things for the rest of your life, is that fair?  Where do those people go in their afterlife?  Is that fair?   

What if one spends 4/5 of his life doing bad things but then does great things for the remaining 1/5...what if the ratio was 50/50?  Where is the line?

The simple answer is that human standard of morality is simply too amorphous to judge one person, let alone the entirety of humanity.  The only fair thing to do is to establish a simple test of faith that is not based upon human concept of fairness or morality. 

And maybe that's my big fault, my sin. But as I said, to me (and maybe just me), faith doesn't happen during a single moment, it's a continual evolution of my understanding of God. If man were perfect, the idea of salvation by acceptance of Christ would be enough. However, we are not, that's where works/actions comes into the picture. You bring up comparing Christians to Christ... but that's what Christianity is, humans trying to be "Christ-like". No human can be, it's a work in progress that should continually be "practiced" (or lived). I understand your idea of true acceptance will lead to works but you keep forgetting that you're still human. Believing in God doesn't give you superpowers, just like having a child doesn't automatically make you a good father. You have to work at it.

Again...salvation is different than maturity/development.  You are saved because of a single moment of faith...but you have the rest of the your life to develop and mature in your faith with Christ.  Going back to the door analogy, the moment of faith requires you to open the door and let Christ in but that doesn't make you automatically perfect.  But you will never gain salvation unless you open that door.

I don't know why you think that accept Christ should give you superpowers.  Shockingly, you as a person will pretty much remain the same even after you accept Christ.  What is changed is your eternal salvation and you opening up yourself to God.  It's like turning on a radio...you need to tune it to get stations but the radio is on regardless of whether you tune it or not.

There is a reason why God doesn't just take people who accept Christ right away...He wants you to stay on this Earth so you can develop a relationship with Him and to spread the word about Him to others.  It's a constant struggle between you being your old self as your new person in Christ.  Your body wants to return to the old ways while your new spirit urges you forward toward Christ. 

No, having a child does not make you dad but it does make you a father.  As soon as the child is born, you are a father/mother.  Now, you can squander that opportunity and not become a dad but you will never not be a father.  Even if the child passes away, you were a father at some point. 

@IC:

You keep saying the same things.

It's not like I don't understand what you are saying but you haven't furthered your point beyond what you have originally said.

You keep saying that I'm applying human standards but that's my point, we are all human so it is going to require that human element to understand. You ask about fairness but are changing the parameters, obviously each circumstance is different but what it comes down to, and I believe what GH and SGIP are saying, is that God is the final judge. Like you said, every religion has different requirements for salvation and you say that Christianity is unique, but are you sure? How many religions are you educated about to state that? Isn't every religion unique?

Let's break this down:

- You believe Christianity is the only path to God and eternal salvation

So for the billions of people on earth who are not Christian, how does that not seem like intolerance (or maybe that's not the right word)?

...if work is a requirement, it diminishes faith and what Christ did on the cross
And I think you still misunderstand me, I'm not saying action/works is a requirement of faith, it strengthens and displays it. To me, it does not diminish faith, it enforces what Jesus taught us... to be like him.

Just like you said "saying it, doesn't mean it's true"... actions speak louder than words and if you are able (this should take care of all your exceptions), it happens naturally. I think we are on the same page but there may be some disconnect here.

I value this discussion so how about this:

- Can a murderer be saved?
- Can a murderer be saved if they continue murdering?
- People will say if a murderer is really saved, they would stop murdering.
- But, if it's a psychological issue, since they are human, they can't stop having that tendency, and since man is fallible, may sin again... but are they still saved if their belief is although they take the lives of others, they believe in Jesus?

Yes... these are all human morality issues but as humans, we have to address them or else why would man make laws?

I value this discussion so how about this:

- But, if it's a psychological issue, since they are human, they can't stop having that tendency, and since man is fallible, may sin again... but are they still saved if their belief is although they take the lives of others, they believe in Jesus?

Yes... these are all human morality issues but as humans, we have to address them or else why would man make laws?

A sinner can be saved.
A sinner can be saved, but if they keep on knowingly sinning, are they truly saved? Yes, we all have a sin nature. Yes, we will continue sinning, and because of that we need to confess our sins - recognizing we've done wrong. If one continues to sin and does not acknowledge that it is such, then it can be either willful - and that person may not be saved, or psychological - a madness that cannot be tamed without forced drugs or incarceration.

Just because someone is saved, that does not expunge sin nature. That's an issue with DNA (so to speak, it's embedded) I like the thought Luther had when saying he cannot stop the birds from flying over his head, but he can keep them from making a nest in his hair. All people have sinful urges, some people recognize their offense to a holy God and wish with contrition to repent (turn away from their sin), while others forge ahead and continue sinning. For those that do, the question of them being saved to begin with, or if they've lost their salvation (a debatable subject within Christianity, but not a key doctrine) is simply one for God to settle. I can disassociate from those sinners if I wish, live by the best example I can for them to consider as a better way of life, and pray that they may quit that hurt or habit that has a hold on them.

My .02c

You keep saying that I'm applying human standards but that's my point, we are all human so it is going to require that human element to understand. You ask about fairness but are changing the parameters, obviously each circumstance is different but what it comes down to, and I believe what GH and SGIP are saying, is that God is the final judge. Like you said, every religion has different requirements for salvation and you say that Christianity is unique, but are you sure? How many religions are you educated about to state that? Isn't every religion unique?

I'm not really understanding this.  Whether you accept Christ is a purely  personal decision.  You learn about it...and make a decision.  The very concept of faith is that it cannot be understood or reasoned out logically.  You either accept certain things as true or not, regardless of logical or human understanding. 

Of course God makes the determination whether you truly accepted Christ or not.  But that's not something I can worry about now.  I have made a choice and taken a stance based upon faith.  Do I know for a fact that I'm doing it right?  Of course not, I believe it as a matter of faith.

I should probably pare my comments down to major religions.  I have studied the major religions:  Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hindu, Taoism, and of course Christianity.  Of those, the concept of salvation without personal accomplishment is unique in Christianity.

So for the billions of people on earth who are not Christian, how does that not seem like intolerance (or maybe that's not the right word)?

I think the word  you are looking for is unfair.  But again, what is more "fair"?

And I think you still misunderstand me, I'm not saying action/works is a requirement of faith, it strengthens and displays it. To me, it does not diminish faith, it enforces what Jesus taught us... to be like him.

Just like you said "saying it, doesn't mean it's true"... actions speak louder than words and if you are able (this should take care of all your exceptions), it happens naturally. I think we are on the same page but there may be some disconnect here.

Again...you need to separate salvation from maturity.  Salvation only requires faith and a choice.  Maturity requires a lot of faith and work. 

Works can be an indication of faith but it may not be.  None of us really knows each other and what they are.  A person who seemed to have lived a "moral life" could be morally corrupt in private.  Whether people find out about it doesn't change what that person is, just whether there is exposure to it.   

1)  Yes
2)  Yes.  See no. 4.
2)  I don't know what people say....it's not relevant to my viewpoint.
3)  Yes.  Murdering someone is really really bad for human standards but for God, a sin is a sin is a sin.  As I stated earlier, Jesus views anger as a form of murder.  People get angry again and again....and for God, that's just as damning without the intervention of Christ.

Also, the very concept of murder is subjective and highly dependent on your POV. 

1)  We have laws in order to maintain society.  If there only 100 humans in the world and we lived 1000 miles away from each other...we wouldn't need laws. 

2)  Human morality is important for our interactions and existences on Earth.  It is of little import when dealing with the idea of eternal salvation. 

Irvinecommuter said:

I think the word  you are looking for is unfair.  But again, what is more "fair"?
That's not exactly what I'm getting at. I'm talking about the perception of others and how to deal with that. This isn't about loving them no matter what, it's about how they feel about how you feel.

If your neighbor is Jewish and you get to talking about religion and you tell him that only through Jesus can one spend eternity with God, how do you think he will feel about that? If he asks you the same questions I ask and you tell him: "Well... that's Christianity and there is no other way"... that can come off as intolerant... or even elitist.

Now, I'm not saying you personally do that, but this is the vibe some Christians give off. I remember in college, someone from Calvary Chapel interacting with me in that manner. It actually made me not want to engage with them because they came of as condescending and inflexible.

Let's take Catholicism with the idea of papal infallibity, reverence of saints and prayers to Mary... that's the largest Christian faith in the world, yet non-Catholic Christians don't agree with their "style" (as a side note, from what I remember, they do have a focus on actions). Are they saved?

Here is another scripture that maybe you can explain, Matthew 7:21:

Not everyone who says to me, ?Lord, Lord,? will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

You keep bringing it back to work as a requirement or personal accomplishments and what am trying to say is that it's not a result of or byproduct of faith... it is part of faith.

To bring it back to your door analogy, believing the door is unlocked is only part of it... actually attempting to open the door is important too.
1)  We have laws in order to maintain society.  If there only 100 humans in the world and we lived 1000 miles away from each other...we wouldn't need laws.
You are changing the narrative here. Humans were meant to have relationships with each other.
2)  Human morality is important for our interactions and existences on Earth.  It is of little import when dealing with the idea of eternal salvation.
Really? To me, human morality is based on our belief system, our faith. The 10 Commandments seems to be a base for morality... laws given to man by God. But I think I understand the point you are trying to say here.

i feel like i need to lighten up this thread.

gallery_nrm_1416261021-set_ellen_christmas_card_kim_kardashian.jpg

That's not exactly what I'm getting at. I'm talking about the perception of others and how to deal with that. This isn't about loving them no matter what, it's about how they feel about how you feel.

If your neighbor is Jewish and you get to talking about religion and you tell him that only through Jesus can one spend eternity with God, how do you think he will feel about that? If he asks you the same questions I ask and you tell him: "Well... that's Christianity and there is no other way"... that can come off as intolerant... or even elitist.

I am taught to love everyone, believers/non-believers alike.  Whether someone is or is not a Christian has no impact on how I treat or view them.

Now, if a non-believer asks me if I am a Christian and if so, what does that mean, I will be truthful about both.  I cannot hide from my beliefs or the principles I believe in.  To do that would mean that I have no religious principles.  One of the beliefs that the only way to God is through Christ.  Now, I would expect that if I asked that question of the non-believer, s/he would respond similarly in that his/her belief system is the true path to God or enlightenment. 

Flip it around as a question, what would you believe to be a non-elitest/intolerant answer?  How can I give such an answer with a belief that Christ is the only path to God?

Now, I'm not saying you personally do that, but this is the vibe some Christians give off. I remember in college, someone from Calvary Chapel interacting with me in that manner. It actually made me not want to engage with them because they came of as condescending and inflexible.

Christians can definitely come off badly...they can be very critical and ostracizing.  The Religious Right in this country is known for what they are against, not what they are for.  That unfortunately is the image that many non-believers have for Christians.  But I would also say that there are many Christians who are not like that at all.

Let's take Catholicism with the idea of papal infallibity, reverence of saints and prayers to Mary... that's the largest Christian faith in the world, yet non-Catholic Christians don't agree with their "style" (as a side note, from what I remember, they do have a focus on actions). Are they saved?

I don't agree with Catholics and they have a lot of ancillary issues that I don't care for but ultimately, they have accepting Christ as the central theme to salvation.  That is the key point.  The problem with Catholicism for me is that it can put works over faith. 

But ultimately, I don't make that judgment.  I don't go around telling people whether they are or are not on the right path.  I tell them what I consider to be the right path and why I think so.  It is up to them to make the decision on whether what I say is relevant or not.

Here is another scripture that maybe you can explain, Matthew 7:21:

Not everyone who says to me, ?Lord, Lord,? will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

I see the verse again about lip service versus actual belief.  Jesus was making this statement as the Pharisees were nearby.  He was telling the people that not everyone who claims to be following God really is. 

You keep bringing it back to work as a requirement or personal accomplishments and what am trying to say is that it's not a result of or byproduct of faith... it is part of faith.

I think I will have to go back to my salvation versus maturity point.  To obtain salvation, you need to have the faith to truly accept Jesus as your savior and that such a belief means that you are saved.  If that is considered "work", it is.  That's what the thief on the cross did.

Another Bible example is the centurion.  He went to Jesus and asked that his servant be healed.  He simply stated that Jesus has the power to heal the servant, in essence bowing to the concept that Jesus is the Lord.  Jesus stated that the centurion had the most faith in all of Israel.  Again, it was the acknowledge of Jesus' lordship and authority that the basis of faith, not works.

Now, to grow in your relationship with God/Christ and become a more mature Christian, that requires a lot of work and faith.  It's something many many Christians (including me) fail to do well.

To bring it back to your door analogy, believing the door is unlocked is only part of it... actually attempting to open the door is important too.

Kinda.  Unlocking the door and inviting Jesus into your heart is what leads to salvation.  Question is whether you actually unlocked the door and invite Him in. 

Really? To me, human morality is based on our belief system, our faith. The 10 Commandments seems to be a base for morality... laws given to man by God. But I think I understand the point you are trying to say here.

Well, many cultures in the world were not influenced by the Ten Commandments or Abrahamic religions.  Some of the stuff is just necessary to maintain society...I mean it would be very hard to maintain a society if you allowed random killings. 

As I look at the poll results, I do wonder how people do not believe in a higher power.

Again, it's not judgement, but to me, as I see life, experience gravity, watch my kids' birth, see the sun rise and set, it's difficult to not know there is a God. And yes, there are bad things too... death, sickness, crimes against individuals and societies but that also demonstrates that we aren't robots or pets and have the freedom to live.

irvinehomeowner said:
As I look at the poll results, I do wonder how people do not believe in a higher power.

Again, it's not judgement, but to me, as I see life, experience gravity, watch my kids' birth, see the sun rise and set, it's difficult to not know there is a God. And yes, there are bad things too... death, sickness, crimes against individuals and societies but that also demonstrates that we aren't robots or pets and have the freedom to live.

haha, i didn't understand what "higher power" mean.

Surprised to see more than 45% do believe in God and call themselves Christians in this forum.

If you are one of them, do you literally believe everything that's written in The Holy Bible (yes, 66 books of the Old and New Testaments) and it is a inerrant word of God? There could be arguments from different versions of translations and even language barriers, but I'm asking the original classic Hebrew, Greek scripture version.

If your answer is, "Well, I don't literally believe the earth was made in 6 days," then you're not really a Christian.

Mety said:
Surprised to see more than 45% do believe in God and call themselves Christians in this forum.

If you are one of them, do you literally believe everything that's written in The Holy Bible (yes, 66 books of the Old and New Testaments) and it is a inerrant word of God? There could be arguments from different versions of translations and even language barriers, but I'm asking the original classic Hebrew, Greek scripture version.

If your answer is, "Well, I don't literally believe the earth was made in 6 days," then you're not really a Christian.

Personally, I feel organized religion is essentially a scam. But like many things in life, it still has its benefits.

45% actually seems right to me. 35% of Americans polled in 2018 are not religious.

This also has a lot to do with age.

Americans, between the age of 18-44, 45% are not religious.

In comparison, older Americans age 55-64 , 75% are religious.

Kenkoko said:
Mety said:

Personally, I feel organized religion is essentially a scam. But like many things in life, it still has its benefits.

45% actually seems right to me. 35% of Americans polled in 2018 are not religious.

This also has a lot to do with age.

Americans, between the age of 18-44, 45% are not religious.

In comparison, older Americans age 55-64 , 75% are religious.

I think being religious and believing in God are two different things.

Also believing in God and living as God's people are totally different as well.

If you(not you Kenkoko but people in general) decide to believe the book (Bible, Koran, Torah, Tripitaka, whatever it may be) then stick with it. Don't try to be hip and cool start accepting all other religions because that is just being religious, not really being genuine and truly living as God's people.

May I also say many if not most people who say they are Christian may not really be Christian...

Back