Garage Epoxy

Despite the warnings of lucky, I decided to continue with Garage Experts  (mostly because I already gave them a 10% deposit and was too lazy to go through the process of trying to get it back).  In the end, my experience with them is very similar to that of lucky.

1) quality product with competitive pricing

2) horrible service and communication. (Although they never dodged my phone calls, which is a plus)

Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    407.8 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    709.6 KB · Views: 411
i knew i should have gone against my wifes wishes and epoxied the garage. that looks good.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvine_RC said:
2) horrible service and communication. (Although they never dodged my phone calls, which is a plus)
Can you elaborate?

Umm..... lets see, the most annoying part is not calling back as promised and forgetting their promises over the phone. 

Wednesday -- I called on Wednesday to say if you can knock another $50 off the price (to $1,400), I will give you guys the business.  Lady on the phone agreed, but said she is outside of office, so will have to call me back when she gets back in the office later Wednesday to schedule an appointment.  (Seems fair -- no displeasure)

Thursday -- Wednesday came and gone no call.  I had to call them on Thursday, and she apologized about the delay, and promised me that she will get back to me before Thursday is over once she gets in front of a calendar. (Slightly annoyed)

Friday -- Thursday came and gone, no call.  I got busy on Friday morning, so I didn't follow up.  They actually called me around 3:00 to re-haggle with me on the price ($1,400) that we agreed on over the phone.  They claim that they would be losing money at the agreed upon price, and the LOWEST price they could possibly go would be $1,476.  I had to remind them that their initial quote to me over the phone was $1,450, to which they conveniently forgot.  Anyway, we agreed on $1,450 with $275 for the overhang racks and they took down my credit card number.  Now she says she has an opening for the upcoming Monday, but would have to check on the availability of the rack.  Promised to call me back before the day is over to confirm appointment.  (Definitely annoyed)

Saturday -- Guess what, Friday came and gone, and no follow up phone call.  I had to call her again on Saturday, and she said that her husband is not next to her, and she needs to check with her husband to confirm the appointment.  Once again, promises to call me back before the day is over.  (Extremely Annoyed -- promised myself that if I don't hear from them today, I would go with someone else)

Sunday -- Needless to say, Saturday came and gone, no follow up phone call.  Had to call her again on Sunday, this time I'm determined to cancel on her if she doesn't have an update for me on the spot.  Luckily for them, she said they have an appointment for me confirmed.  However, it will happen on Thursday instead of Monday.  At this point, I said "please give me a confirmation phone call on Wednesday, if I don't hear from you, please refund my deposit and I will proceed with someone else."  (Now I just feel dirty for agreeing to that, hoping that I didn't make a huge mistake)

Wednesday -- They actually called to confirm the appointment on Thursday, and the installer showed up on Thursday as promised.  Did not offer a discount for all the inconvenience.

Sorry for the long summary, but IHO asked me to elaborate.

Irvine_RC said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Irvine_RC said:
Can you elaborate?

Umm..... lets see, the most annoying part is not calling back as promised and forgetting their promises over the phone. 

Wednesday -- I called on Wednesday to say if you can knock another $50 off the price (to $1,400), I will give you guys the business.  Lady on the phone agreed, but said she is outside of office, so will have to call me back when she gets back in the office later Wednesday to schedule an appointment.  (Seems fair -- no displeasure)

Thursday -- Wednesday came and gone no call.  I had to call them on Thursday, and she apologized about the delay, and promised me that she will get back to me before Thursday is over once she gets in front of a calendar. (Slightly annoyed)

Friday -- Thursday came and gone, no call.  I got busy on Friday morning, so I didn't follow up.  They actually called me around 3:00 to re-haggle with me on the price ($1,400) that we agreed on over the phone.  They claim that they would be losing money at the agreed upon price, and the LOWEST price they could possibly go would be $1,476.  I had to remind them that their initial quote to me over the phone was $1,450, to which they conveniently forgot.  Anyway, we agreed on $1,450 with $275 for the overhang racks and they took down my credit card number.  Now she says she has an opening for the upcoming Monday, but would have to check on the availability of the rack.  Promised to call me back before the day is over to confirm appointment.  (Definitely annoyed)

Saturday -- Guess what, Friday came and gone, and no follow up phone call.  I had to call her again on Saturday, and she said that her husband is not next to her, and she needs to check with her husband to confirm the appointment.  Once again, promises to call me back before the day is over.  (Extremely Annoyed -- promised myself that if I don't hear from them today, I would go with someone else)

Sunday -- Needless to say, Saturday came and gone, no follow up phone call.  Had to call her again on Sunday, this time I'm determined to cancel on her if she doesn't have an update for me on the spot.  Luckily for them, she said they have an appointment for me confirmed.  However, it will happen on Thursday instead of Monday.  At this point, I said "please give me a confirmation phone call on Wednesday, if I don't hear from you, please refund my deposit and I will proceed with someone else."  (Now I just feel dirty for agreeing to that, hoping that I didn't make a huge mistake)

Wednesday -- They actually called to confirm the appointment on Thursday, and the installer showed up on Thursday as promised.  Did not offer a discount for all the inconvenience.

Sorry for the long summary, but IHO asked me to elaborate.

Sounds like your patient which is good. When people make promises and don't follow through I don't deal with them. Especially if I am offering money to pay for their services.

@Irvine_RC - Looks great! And wow, you're experience is exactly like mine! Except they didn't request any deposit. It's really frustrating dealing with such unprofessional people, but they are always confusing you with their very-friendly manor of speaking and high-quality product.

That reminds me, I should review them on Yelp and give them the 2 stars they so rightly earned.

I just got my garage epoxied by Garage Experts as well not too long ago. Anyone noticed that there are air bubbles? I just found two, but not sure if it's normal.....

lookinginirvine said:
I just got my garage epoxied by Garage Experts as well not too long ago. Anyone noticed that there are air bubbles? I just found two, but not sure if it's normal.....

I have not noticed any air bubbles.....  given how undulated the surface of garage is, combined with the excessive amount of chips, I think it would be hard for me to notice any bubbles even if there were any.

Since Garage Experts has a lifetime warranty, you can try giving them a call to see if they will come fix it.

Good Luck, and let us know how those people are at honoring their warranty.

Ditto Irvine_RC. I can't imagine how I could notice if there was an air bubble. I'd have to crawl around with a magnifying glass methinks.

How long did you guys wait to park your cars in your garage after being epoxied...??

The installer told me to wait 24 hours before walking on it, and a total of 48 hours before parking your car on it.  I've also heard an urban legend that you should wait at least 1 week.

Anybody have a definite answer to whether there is a minimum amount of time that one should wait...?? 

Is there any benefit to waiting longer than the recommended 48 hour period...??

Is there a point of diminishing return after waiting a certain length of time...??

1.  Air Bubbles...yes it's normal when you have too much heat (direct sunlight) drying the clear coat.  Easy to fix?  Yes.  They should come out, scrape the bubbles out with a razor blade and touch up the clear coat.  If you have your garage door open  and look from the outside in you  can get a decent view of it.

2.  Waiting to park your car....the longer the better.  3 days is the recommended by a lot of the manufactures.  24 hours to walk is correct.  48-72 hours for putting anything heavy like cars or toolboxes.  I had mine done on Thursday...and I waited till Monday to put my cars in...just for good measure.  If you ever used epoxy to glue something together it's a two piece chemical reaction.  Once you mix the compound together it gets harder and harder over time. 

@Irvine_RC - I had stuff to unload from the trunk of my car, and as it happens I was arriving to drop it off almost exactly 48 hours from the time they finished. I backed slowly onto the coating and only went about 2 feet. I quickly jumped out to look if I'd done any damage and there was nothing in the coating to be seen. It looked perfect and felt solid as a rock.

Took a leap of faith and parked my car on it overnight last night. (after approximately 4 days/96 hours).  No issues, everything looks in tact.

I did notice that you can see a faint hint of tire tracks on the tan colored epoxy that I picked.  Wiped right off with a wet rag though.

Irvine_RC said:
I did notice that you can see a faint hint of tire tracks on the tan colored epoxy that I picked.  Wiped right off with a wet rag though.

That's why I got a black floor.  :D Our last garage was tan and unless you wipe off the floor after every time you back out, it'll always have visible tire tracks.

Thinking about doing this for our 2 car garage. Any feedback/recommendations on a contractor?

I'm in Northpark/Irvine area.

Thanks!

FiberOne said:
Thinking about doing this for our 2 car garage. Any feedback/recommendations on a contractor?

I'm in Northpark/Irvine area.

Thanks!

Don't be lazy...read the thread.  We go over a lot of good info

eyephone said:
For the DIY peeps out there. I came across an epoxy kit at lowes for $249.97. ;D

Did you purchase this kit?  I plan to epoxy my garage in two weeks.  Let me know how it goes.

Back