Garage Epoxy

snowblind40 said:
Has anyone heard of these guys?
http://www.garageexperts.com/garage-flooring/

Straight A reviews on Angie's list, lifetime warranty on the floor, no acid etching, they use a diamond mechanical etching so they can do everything in one day.

I'd never heard of them, but just called to get an estimate and set up a measure appointment. The person I spoke with sounds really competent and friendly.

Photos of their recent work (http://www.garageexperts.com/location/recent_work/orange-county) look really good. I like their overhead storage racks that are right above the garage door. I didn't think that would look/work so good.

Estimate for my ~450 sqft. garage is $1650 including stem walls (up to 6 inches tall, and the stem walls are fully epoxied like the floor). Storage racks are about $350 for one at 4'x8' or $325 each if you buy more than one.

The epoxy's top coat is polyurea, which is why it's a one-day job. It seems that's the material used to make truck bed liners and is very robust.

Just a note about some of the epoxy guys.  Concrete Creations said he'll discount the job if I pay upfront all cash.  I think that turned me off pretty quickly from them.  Good thing about Premier Garage, is that they took their 10% deposit, and will collect  the rest after the job is done.  I found some air bubbles and debris underneath the clear coat.  They scheduled a follow up appointment next day to remedy the issues before even asking for full payment of the job.  That type of customer service is a big factor to me as well. 

Plus they take credit card so if they really tried to screw me over I can always dispute the issues with my credit card company.  But from their responsiveness to the issues I don't see me needing to resort to that.

I just got 3 different quotes for my 2-car garage at 400 square ft.

Was a little surprised that none of the places offered me any discount for having a new construction with a brand new slab of concrete.

Premier Garage -- $1550 (includes stemwall) -- My impression was that they do this a lot, and have a lot of experience.  The price they quoted did not appear flexible, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.  They promised a diamond grind prep, and told me not to deal with anyone that skips that step.

Garage Experts -- $1450 (includes stemwall) -- My impression was that they are very similar to Premier Garage, and they price their services just slightly below Premier.  I did read the fine print on their advertisement, and it required an additional 3% to use your credit card.  End of the day, probably in the same ballpark as Premier.  They also have a lifetime warranty.  They also told me that a diamond grind is essential.

California Concrete Restoration -- $1365 (includes stemwall) -- An elderly gentleman came and  gave me a quote based on his measurements.  The elderly gentleman ended up being the president, and he assured me that a diamond grind is a complete waste of time on such a nice concrete slab.  His work also comes with a lifetime warranty, but I'm a little skeptical about the duration of his "life" warranty due to his age.

Orlando's Painting -- Called twice.  Once to leave a message and a second time to speak to a nice lady over the phone (Pat) who promised me to call me back to schedule an appointment with Orlando himself.  Never heard from them again. 

The two latter vendors were recommended in this other TI thread (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3178.15.html)

Prices all seem similar.... might flip a coin and decide  :eek:

Garage Experts is currently in my garage installing the flooring. Final base cost for coating was $1550 (for my ~450 sqft), but we wanted a premium chip which cost $50 more, so we're paying $1600.

We are having a single 6'x3' rack installed in the ceiling for an additional $275.

Pretty crazy to see the inflation of prices.  From the beginning of the thread quotes were 1250 to 1300.  When I got the quote it was 1400 to now 1550 to 1600.  They learned from IP's pricing models  with every phase up your price.

bitmaster20 said:
javacly said:
DIY - get the epoxy paint and flakes from Home Depot/Lowes, 3 coat should be less than $350.

If you are planning on parking your vehicles inside your garage, then the regular epoxy paint you get from Home Depot/Lowes will not hold up against the wear and tear. We used that for our garage and the area where the tire meets the floor, the epoxy has started rubbing off. Get the industrial/commercial strength epoxy for durability.

Thank you for the heads up about this.  I would have not known that their were different types.

broda said:
Pretty crazy to see the inflation of prices.  From the beginning of the thread quotes were 1250 to 1300.  When I got the quote it was 1400 to now 1550 to 1600.  They learned from IP's pricing models  with every phase up your price.

Yah... that's crazy for just a mere 3 months of difference.....  Either inflation is a bitch, or it's pure price gauging; either way, the end consumer gets screwed.

@broda - There are different price quotes, but you have to keep in mind they're for different garage sizes.

My epoxy job yesterday went south and we had to call the installers off before putting on the final clear coat. Unfortunately, the fancy 1" chips that we chose are really fragile and were breaking all over the place and the whole garage looked awful when my wife and I first saw it.

The Garage Experts folks were super nice about it and came to our house late yesterday to help decide on an alternate design. We're going to have something very different with a 1' border that will surround and stand out from the center area.

Right now they're probably grinding down what they did yesterday and prepping the new floor. It'll be a 2-day job to put together our custom chip mix and also prepare the border, but it'll be worth it. This is what the main part of our floor will look like:

a9ShZ9v.jpg

The border will be the same but will have a black base instead of a charcoal base.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear that your job didn't go well.  I got mine from Premier Garage for 1400.  435 sq ft 2 car garage...seems like the standard 2 car garage size give or take a few sq ft.

So far I have done an oil change, went through some rain water, dirt, etc.  Cleaned up perfectly from spilled oil...dirt sweeps up or mops up like a tiled kitchen floor.  Standing up pretty well.  Happy with everything I got.

For the do it DIY folks...you can order the product that the professional installers use.  It'll run you about 500-600 for the product.  After watching the installer, you're going to need a good amount of tools to do the work.  Diamond grinder, shop vac, paint brushes, buckets, rollers, etc.  I figured with rental equipment and such you'll spend about 800 + to get the job done.  Double the amount of time it takes the pro's to do the install and you have your house with probably more errors than them.  I figured that extra few hundred bucks was worth the pain and suffering I'd have gone through doing it myself.

I'm satisfied with the way the floor turned out. The whole border design thing turned out pointless, but it didn't have to. I explain below; sorry it's a bit of a long story, but I'm keeping it as brief as I can.

Overall, I've been both happy with and disappointed by Garage Experts. The couple who own/run it (Alex and Mindy) are extremely friendly and easy to talk to, but they are very inconsistent, forget things they've agreed to, and don't seem to communicate important things with each other.

After the first botched job on Monday, Alex came over. He suggested using our black+white+blue chips all over but a black base border and charcoal base center. We made it clear we wanted NO gray chips. We're trying to finish our move by Sunday, so we're in a hurry. He said without border they could rush to get it done Tuesday, but with the border would be Wednesday. We opted for with-border and Wednesday.

Tuesday morning they sent a photo of the chip mix they were planning to use, which contained lots of gray, despite that we made it very clear we wanted zero gray chips included. They said they'd take them out altogether, and I assumed they'd be working on the garage that day. To our chagrin, we got to the house that evening only to discover they hadn't been there at all.

Wednesday morning they started by putting in the black border area. I got a call from Mindy that they were concerned the charcoal center would blend too much with the black border and you wouldn't be able to see a difference. I asked to go lighter than charcoal for the center so the border would stand out more. She said they would.

Cut to Wednesday afternoon. When I got there they were about to start painting the center area and it looked like they were still using the "charcoal" base coat (at least according to the label on the paint bucket).

I asked if it'd be all done the same day, Wednesday, and Alex casually informed it'd be done Thursday, as if we had never discussed it being done by Wednesday.

Then I asked about our overhead storage rack which was scheduled to be installed the next day, Thursday. Alex seemed like he'd totally forgotten about it and informed they would install it Friday, which meant pushing it back a day without any notice or prior discussion.

Thursday morning I got a call that the final clear coat was going on and someone needed to come over to give them a check, despite that I'd told them previously I work until later afternoon. I asked what the total price would be (hoping they'd give me any discount for all the trouble), but was simply told "It's the same." I had to remind that we were paying $50 extra for the fancy chips that failed, so at the very least the price should be $50 lower. I was told they'd get back to me and haven't heard back since. That was this morning.

As far as the actual flooring work goes, what we have looks incredibly nice. The quality of the work is really impressive. Aesthetically, it looks really bold and different from all our neighbors, which we like, but we are quite disappointed the center charcoal area was made so dark, yielding an almost invisible black border. That may be our fault because we pushed so hard to avoid grays, but it may also be their fault if they used the original charcoal instead of adjusting down to something lighter. (I'm not overly concerned with fault at this point because it's done and set in stone, so to speak.)

TLDR version:

It's frustrating that they forget many things you discuss with them or don't relay messages between one another. They say they'll do something then don't do it or say they won't do something then do do it. BUT -- they are very nice to talk to and their floors turn out really beautifully. You just have to stay on top of them to ensure they remember the plan.

QwF5zZi.png

If you look closely, you can see the black border on the right.

Nice! You won't have to worry about oil spills because your floor is so dark!

This is a question for all you guys who've had your garage floor epoxied. What did you do with all your junk in the garage while the work was being done? I wouldn't mind getting my garage floor epoxied but I don't want to bother with the headache of moving all my junk out and I wouldn't know where I'd put it.

Spills and dirty tire trails are a big part of why we wanted something so dark.

If you can have it done as a one-day job, it would help since you won't need to clear out your garage overnight, but you'd still probably have to pull everything out and just let it sit in outside the garage. I don't think there's really an alternative to that. : \

I did it the first few weeks I moved in so I left everything in boxes and either put it in the backyard or just in my house in boxes. 

But if I had a crap load of stuff in there...I'd rather move everything out and get it done ASAP.

Looks nice lucky.....  Although I was originally committed to Garage Experts initially, your experience with them is making me have second thoughts.

Anybody care to share their experience with Premier Garage...??? broda?

I used Vision Garage Flooring.... these guys are the builder's contractor for many projects in Portola and Stonegate. It cost ~1500 for 2-car garage. It took 5 working days and the final products looks great. I have had many good comments from others who have epoxy floors but didn't get the premium product.

When you get your quote, make sure you ask for the stem walls to be included. Vision garage quoted me $1250 and then added another $250 for stem walls when I brought it up.

I will upload pictures over the weekend

Irvine_RC said:
Looks nice lucky.....  Although I was originally committed to Garage Experts initially, your experience with them is making me have second thoughts.

Irvine_RC said:

Premier Garage was very easy to deal with.  Did a great job...all the issue I had with the job were minor fixes.  Found bubbles in the clear coat, some how a nail and some debris got trapped in the clear coat.  The installer came back at the earliest appointment and fixed everything.  They didn't bother charging the full amount until I was completely satisfied with my job.  Once everything completed, they called me back asked me if I was happy and if they could go ahead and charge the full amount.

I'm sure you can talk down the price a bit.  The owner Chris is the guy who comes and gives you the quote.  Very nice guy and easy to deal with. 

As for Vision Garage.  I posted somewhere in this thread.  He quoted me $1650 and said that is his discounted price.  Even though my neighbors and I were willing to do a group buy he said no way he would come down at all.  He didn't bother coming out to meet me, just quoted me on the phone based on what he had already for measurements.  I didn't mind that so much, but the vibe I got from him was that he didn't really care for my business, that he had enough going on so take his deal or leave it.  Dealing with contractors in the past with that same attitude I had bad experiences. 

Premier Garage just gave me a better sense of customer service so that ultimately swayed my decision since most pricing I got was pretty close to the same price.

@Irvine_RC - That might be a good idea. Their product is quality, but their business practices not so much.

To update, they installed our overhead rack (which looks great) in the garage today and finally got back to me about the final price. They refused to reduce the $50 fancy chip premium they say because they had to custom mix our paint chips and they also applied a second clear coat. Again, their lack of clarity is bothersome; they should have stated something while discussing our options that they would incur additional charge. I understand the surcharge and would be willing to pay, but shouldn't have been surprised with it.

Back