Future of real estate in irvine

thatOSguy said:
paperboyNC said:
thatOSguy said:
Right. So all one has to do is time the market! It's easy!!

You'd be priced out of Irvine today.

Unless I bought a smaller attached place like this:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/42-Wild-Trl-92618/home/40389602

Would you?

When I bought I mostly looked at attached products. I bought the home I did because it was the same price per sq ft as attached but it was detached. I'd definitely consider it, but most likely I'd rent if I had moved to Irvine in 2014 instead of 2012.

IMHO, if the purchase price of your home is $800k+ and your household isn't grossing north of $200k and don't have a downpayment to make your loan conforming, chances are; you're cutting it close. 

When you factor things in like children, cost of living and other misc expenses... you're going to be saving next to nothing.

Homer_Simpson said:
IMHO, if the purchase price of your home is $800k+ and your household isn't grossing north of $200k and don't have a downpayment to make your loan conforming, chances are; you're cutting it close. 

When you factor things in like children, cost of living and other misc expenses... you're going to be saving next to nothing.

True. A good rule of thumb is a mortgage that is no higher than 3X your income. The reason I made an exception is that I expect my income to increase to conform to that requirement. I at least have a conforming loan.

paperboyNC said:
Homer_Simpson said:

True. A good rule of thumb is a mortgage that is no higher than 3X your income. The reason I made an exception is that I expect my income to increase to conform to that requirement. I at least have a conforming loan.

Also, if you're an FCB or have parents that can give you money for the down then the comments above do not apply lol

I guess we are over ratio'd.

But that's okay, we can always HARP/TARP/SQUAT (not the IHS squat) if we can't make payments down the road.

irvinehomeowner said:

But that's okay, we can always HARP/TARP/SQUAT (not the IHS squat) if we can't make payments down the road.

If I can't make my payments I'm selling and pocketing my 35% appreciation thank you very much. I could move to Corona and buy a house for cash or use the cash to pay rent for 5 years.

thatOSguy said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Damn 99%er getting all the breaks!
Had we known how easy it would be to game the system, we wouldn't have sold our previous 3CWG.

We could have cashed out on 2 homes during this latest run up of Irvine prices.

The California Court Company said:
With a house paid off you can work a $15 per hour job like SoCal's husband does and still live comfortably in Irvine.

Well, you are not in your communist country anymore. Here, a Senior Software Engineer in Irvine with over 20 years of experience makes oh, just a little bit more than four of those employees. Now you can sleep at night without worrying about where we get our next meal! But hey, if that's all he made, it would be all good with me. Money does not make the man.

so your hubby is making 6 figures, living in a low income community and has his wife begging for Home Depot coupons on the internet? something is fishy here.

SoCal said:
The California Court Company said:
With a house paid off you can work a $15 per hour job like SoCal's husband does and still live comfortably in Irvine.

Well, you are not in your communist country anymore. Here, a Senior Software Engineer in Irvine with over 20 years of experience makes oh, just a little bit more than four of those employees. Now you can sleep at night without worrying about where we get our next meal! But hey, if that's all he made, it would be all good with me. Money does not make the man.

People making six figures could also be very frugal.  Just like people making $15 an hour could carry LV purses and drive a leased $500 car. 

Paperboy!  Congrats on being in it at the right time!

Coleman said:
Just like people making $15 an hour could carry LV purses and drive a leased $500 car. 

I actually work with someone who meets that description. She doesn't have a rent/mortgage though (lives in a family's house for free).

If I was really lucky I would have sold last year but I couldn't do it without owing capital gains taxes.

Coleman said:
People making six figures could also be very frugal.  Just like people making $15 an hour could carry LV purses and drive a leased $500 car. 

When I lived in Irvine apartments, I was always amazed at the number of late model luxury cars that are in the parking lots.  While there are still nice cars in my neighbor, there are lot of "common sense" cars.

Irvinecommuter said:
Coleman said:

When I lived in Irvine apartments, I was always amazed at the number of late model luxury cars that are in the parking lots.  While there are still nice cars in my neighbor, there are lot of "common sense" cars.

For a million dollar stucco box in Irvine with no yard you could get a collection of Ferraris without an annual Mello Roos payment!

Irvinecommuter said:
Coleman said:

Yeah, I used to think their priorities were all out of whack until I realized that they might be a younger bachelor who may be relocating and just needs a place to stay for a year until he finalizes his decision.

And then there are these people...

priorities.jpg

Just go into westminster,garden grove, anaheim.  There will be like 5 families living under one roof with high end cars parked outside.  Can't imagine 12 people and a 3bd/2.5 bath home lol...

Back