Fresco @ Eastwood Village

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Danimal said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:
I don?t believe there is anything that can delay closing at this point. Any cosmetic issues that don?t prohibit the buyer from occupying the property and functioning normally while living in it will not qualify as sufficient reason for an escrow delay. All other unaddressed issues they will commit to fixing after closing.

You don?t think not meeting code is a good enough reason to delay closing? The missing sprinkler in the attic looks like a pretty big reason to delay for me?

What meets code or not gets to be a bit subjective. In my case, IP didn't agree with one of Steve's finding stating in this particular case Steve was referring to an outdated code...And IP is not going to delay closing for findings on Steve's report alone because per IP they have already got the home inspected by the city.

When I bought Petaluma new construction in 2018, the fit and finish was so much better than Fresco. I have stopped noticing small annoying things that should have been take care of at the time of construction...now too late.

My wife heard some horror stories from one of the buyers down the street in phase 10. Basically, most of their kitchen cabinet doors need to be replaced because of dents and paint drips, a broken floor tile that took all day to replace and created lots of dust to finally have the new one with the wrong grout color, and a mismatched counter tops for the kitchen and bathrooms. They will stand by their final product but talk about the headache and disappointment
IP reps told me that phrase 8,9 & 10 were very challenging due to supply and labor shortage. Some buyers were angry that they didnt get the correct appliances or contractors did poor jobs or not enough building marterials.  Nice to know IP stands behind their product.

I saw this older topic and wanted to comment.  Did you hear that the inspector Steve from Bilt-Rite flooded a new home? Unintentionally most likely, but he was at fault during his inspection and claimed no responsibility.  Now all homes in those communities now require a waiver of liability from the buyer to bring on an inspector.  If you want more details, feel free to ask California Pacific, but yea just be aware that you may want to reconsider his services.  His reports also are very cookie-cutter templates with out of date codes if you look at more than one of his reports.

Compressed-Village said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
OCPricedOut said:
Does anyone know if homeowners are allowed to install Ring doorbells, or would that be considered modification of exterior and requires HOA approval?

Requires HOA approval as do all exterior facing modifications.

This has become the standard, minimum security feature for homes nowaday that HOA approval is not neccessary. It isn't the same as painting your housing pink and not formally request prior to getting the work done.

HOA approval is required at multiple communities in Irvine, including Eastwood Village. Will most boards and property management companies look the other way - likely yes. But, per the bylaws, you can still be written up for it.

SWATeam said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
Danimal said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:
I don?t believe there is anything that can delay closing at this point. Any cosmetic issues that don?t prohibit the buyer from occupying the property and functioning normally while living in it will not qualify as sufficient reason for an escrow delay. All other unaddressed issues they will commit to fixing after closing.

You don?t think not meeting code is a good enough reason to delay closing? The missing sprinkler in the attic looks like a pretty big reason to delay for me?

What meets code or not gets to be a bit subjective. In my case, IP didn't agree with one of Steve's finding stating in this particular case Steve was referring to an outdated code...And IP is not going to delay closing for findings on Steve's report alone because per IP they have already got the home inspected by the city.

When I bought Petaluma new construction in 2018, the fit and finish was so much better than Fresco. I have stopped noticing small annoying things that should have been take care of at the time of construction...now too late.

My wife heard some horror stories from one of the buyers down the street in phase 10. Basically, most of their kitchen cabinet doors need to be replaced because of dents and paint drips, a broken floor tile that took all day to replace and created lots of dust to finally have the new one with the wrong grout color, and a mismatched counter tops for the kitchen and bathrooms. They will stand by their final product but talk about the headache and disappointment
IP reps told me that phrase 8,9 & 10 were very challenging due to supply and labor shortage. Some buyers were angry that they didnt get the correct appliances or contractors did poor jobs or not enough building marterials.  Nice to know IP stands behind their product.

I saw this older topic and wanted to comment.  Did you hear that the inspector Steve from Bilt-Rite flooded a new home? Unintentionally most likely, but he was at fault during his inspection and claimed no responsibility.  Now all homes in those communities now require a waiver of liability from the buyer to bring on an inspector.  If you want more details, feel free to ask California Pacific, but yea just be aware that you may want to reconsider his services.  His reports also are very cookie-cutter templates with out of date codes if you look at more than one of his reports.

Interesting!

Which community was this? How did he manage to do that kind of damage? And how was he unable to shut off the main water supply before too much damage is done?too many questions.

Yousr said:
SWATeam said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
Danimal said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

Interesting!

Which community was this? How did he manage to do that kind of damage? And how was he unable to shut off the main water supply before too much damage is done?too many questions.

I'll PM you the details.

Can you PM me as well?

SWATeam said:
Yousr said:
SWATeam said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
Danimal said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

Interesting!

I'll PM you the details.

If you could PM me as well, I'm also interested in the details.

trematix said:
Can you PM me as well?

SWATeam said:
Yousr said:
SWATeam said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
Danimal said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

Interesting!

I'll PM you the details.

Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

I'm new to the forum, and as I was reading through the Fresco thread, I had to create an account to write and ask other Fresco buyers if any of you also have issues with your cabinets like this buyer in phase 10 mentioned in a previous post.

We recently closed, and our cabinet is a mess--so many dents, misaligned doors and frame, holes here and there, nails sticking out, and the list goes on and on.

IP told us they're going to have the cabinet team come and fix the issues we pointed out during our walk-through, but as we're cleaning our home, we're finding more issues. I'm not even sure if they are fixable and how much effort is need to to "fix" these issues.

I have never seen this kind of quality. We were told that this is because of labor shortage. I'm curious if others who recently closed an IP (or Fresco) home have similar issues like us.

they are going for the distressed wood look.

SoCali said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

I'm new to the forum, and as I was reading through the Fresco thread, I had to create an account to write and ask other Fresco buyers if any of you also have issues with your cabinets like this buyer in phase 10 mentioned in a previous post.

We recently closed, and our cabinet is a mess--so many dents, misaligned doors and frame, holes here and there, nails sticking out, and the list goes on and on.

IP told us they're going to have the cabinet team come and fix the issues we pointed out during our walk-through, but as we're cleaning our home, we're finding more issues. I'm not even sure if they are fixable and how much effort is need to to "fix" these issues.

I have never seen this kind of quality. We were told that this is because of labor shortage. I'm curious if others who recently closed an IP (or Fresco) home have similar issues like us.

SoCali said:

We recently closed at Bluffs and our cabinets came out really good. There were mainly only touch up to be done. But, as far as I know, different IP communities use different contractors, so my experience is probably not relevant to you.

SoCali said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

I just closed Fresco recently too.  Mine came out pretty good. No misalign or nails sticking out  but few touchup needed here and there. 

IP already placed a request to South Coast Cabinets for our home.  These guys are slow to respond. Same thing as wood floor contractor. I am still waiting for them to touch up some spots. 

IP is usually good with home warranty. They will fix it for you.

SoCali said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

We also closed Fresco recently..we have our complaints with quality of build. IP service takes care of issue but it's painful and time consuming when we have to shedule appts for folks to come do the work. All of these should have been addressed before turning over.
I agree, some of these are no longer fixable...should have been done right at the outset.

SoCali said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

I tried to probe the south coast cabinets guy about what happened at the problematic phase 10 house when he came over for some minor touch ups. He said it was a confluence of factors. First, they brought in the cabinets into the house sometime before they were due for installation and stored them somewhere unprotected while other work was still being done. Naturally, they got knocked down, stepped on and paint dripping on them, etc?. Second, they have a couple of installers that are not up to standard, who happened to work on this particular house, so it was the perfect storm.

And you are absolutely right, some of these issues can become unfixable. Another story I heard about a house across the street needing to get some drywall work done after which they couldn?t match the paint color covering the area they fixed due to some I couldn?t understand. IP got a couple of different guys to fix it but to no avail. So give them a chance to fix it and if you?re not satisfied just keep at it.

Yousr said:
SoCali said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

I tried to probe the south coast cabinets guy about what happened at the problematic phase 10 house when he came over for some minor touch ups. He said it was a confluence of factors. First, they brought in the cabinets into the house sometime before they were due for installation and stored them somewhere unprotected while other work was still being done. Naturally, they got knocked down, stepped on and paint dripping on them, etc?. Second, they have a couple of installers that are not up to standard, who happened to work on this particular house, so it was the perfect storm.

And you are absolutely right, some of these issues can become unfixable. Another story I heard about a house across the street needing to get some drywall work done after which they couldn?t match the paint color covering the area they fixed due to some I couldn?t understand. IP got a couple of different guys to fix it but to no avail. So give them a chance to fix it and if you?re not satisfied just keep at it.

There is also a satisfactory survey which sounds pretty important to one of the IP reps. I am not going to fill it out for at least 6 months.

We also tip ($20-100) repairmen when they come over to do the works. Couple of them come back for some other works and they would go extra miles fixing other issues for us.

My house is in phrase 12. I notice it took IP a while to get from having the frame to drywall and building interior of the homes. But for phrase 13, they didnt lay down foundation at least 1 month after phrase 12 but IP closed escrow on these homes a week after phrase 12. Seems like they rushed to make end of fiscal year deadline which may have compromised some build qualities.

Danimal said:
Yousr said:
SoCali said:
Yousr said:

There is also a satisfactory survey which sounds pretty important to one of the IP reps. I am not going to fill it out for at least 6 months.

We also tip ($20-100) repairmen when they come over to do the works. Couple of them come back for some other works and they would go extra miles fixing other issues for us.

My house is in phrase 12. I notice it took IP a while to get from having the frame to drywall and building interior of the homes. But for phrase 13, they didnt lay down foundation at least 1 month after phrase 12 but IP closed escrow on these homes a week after phrase 12. Seems like they rushed to make end of fiscal year deadline which may have compromised some build qualities.

Thank you all for sharing your situation and for the advice! I'll let you know when things get resolved if anyone is interested. I'm sure it'll take a while tho... It's nice to "meet" many neighbors online!

Danimal said:
Yousr said:
SoCali said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

No need to delay filling out the survey. There should be 2 more coming to fill out. A six month and a twelve month one. This is what one of the move-in package papers outlined

Yousr said:
Danimal said:
Yousr said:
SoCali said:
Yousr said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
Yousr said:

No need to delay filling out the survey. There should be 2 more coming to fill out. A six month and a twelve month one. This is what one of the move-in package papers outlined

Holding off on their surveys is not a bad idea. They will call you periodically to remind you - at which point you can voice any concerns you have. They will quickly attempt to address it.

I am continuing to find issues in various places. The construction quality this time was very shoddy, atleast for phase we bought. The extra insulation that we paid for is a joke, excess stucco at places, poor quality installation of "upgraded carpet". A lot of these are unfixable. Builder could claim labor shortage/support chain as reasons but they didn't give us any discount to compensate for all these issues....

Irvinehomeseeker said:
I am continuing to find issues in various places. The construction quality this time was very shoddy, atleast for phase we bought. The extra insulation that we paid for is a joke, excess stucco at places, poor quality installation of "upgraded carpet". A lot of these are unfixable. Builder could claim labor shortage/support chain as reasons but they didn't give us any discount to compensate for all these issues....

This isn't the first example of obvious poor build quality in Irvine lately.  Sounds like the ol' construction defect legal teams will have no shortage of work in the near future.

someguy said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:

This isn't the first example of obvious poor build quality in Irvine lately.  Sounds like the ol' construction defect legal teams will have no shortage of work in the near future.

It's not just iPac, all the builders have sloppy workmanship.

My spec home was near drywall time mid December when the builder shut construction down for the holidays. My daughters house in San Diego was a dirt lot end of January. Somehow her house was dry walled before mine and closed escrow before Memorial Day, barely after mine.

At the walk thru we asked how come it takes so long to finish building a single story sun 2000 sq foot house when Lennar was able to completely grade and finish a 3100 sq foot house in less than four months in high regulation California.

This was the response:

Some builders put houses up quick and if they r missing items they skip steps and go back and finish things that should have not been done in that order. If they don?t have windows (big problem getting those here apparently) they just move on and drywall, etc goes on. But after close lots of houses have leaks.

Second specific to Lennar, they have way too many houses under construction at one time for the construction head to be able to really keep an eye on things.

In the OC, the builders use subcontractors so same workers go to all the builders.

Monsoon came here. Not one problem.

Costco should be dropping gas there soon. Dropped prices twice yesterday and again today. U can?t be far behind for a significant drop.

Back