EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

There is an older thread on this:
https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12152.0.html

Since a hot topic here is solar, I figure it's partly because you either drive or are planning to drive an EV or plug-in.

Based on what I see in Irvine, seems like most people are getting Teslas, and while the Model 3 starting price is closer to option 2 (< $40k), I think most Model 3s that are bought are closer to option 1 (over $50k).

I'm still in the plug-in hybrid camp as I like the option to still be able to drive on T-Rex fuel if I don't have Ben Franklin juice available.

Once my kids are old enough to drive, most likely we will get them a pure EV so they don't have to worry about gas (just like they don't know what a corded phone with a dial is).

For myself, I'm still looking for a bigger plug-in like the Pacifica (plus it's a minivan), but what I've been looking at lately is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV. I really like the Model X but it's actually small for me and over my 99%er budget.

What are you thinking about getting?

(And sorry, no non plug-in hybrids in this thread, has to have a battery or some other fuel source)

I think we will have a mixture for next few years.  We have one electric and one gas SUV.  Next car we get will likely be a lower price plug in EV (Ioniq was intriguing) with the SUV for long trips/back up. 

We have 2x Tesla Model 3s. I'm thinking of selling my Model 3 and trading up to a Model X though. It qualifies for 100% accelerated 1 year depreciation based on tax code. So taking a price of $100,000 and writing it off against my 1099 income then it basically yields me a $70,000 car plus Federal and state EV incentives bringing it down to the low $60s.

I've got both a Long Range RWD model 3 and Pacifica Hybrid currently.  They both serve different purposes, but are excellent at what they are built for.

I've also leased a 1st gen Nissan Leaf and Chevy Spark EV in the past.  Both were great to use around town solo driving but that's about it.

I'm planning on picking up a Rivian T1R pickup once final specs are announced, but may pick up a Performance model 3 if the bill to extend EV tax credits has a chance at passing (not likely).

My wife and I were cross-shopping used model Xs with the Pachy, but the Pachy beat the model X in nearly every category we care about (currently).  I picked mine up for 7500 under msrp as it was a leftover 2018 model still sitting on the lot.  After tax incentives/rebates, cost of the car came out to ~$26k, which no used model X could even close to.

I've got quite a few years of EV driving, so I'd be more than happy to talk EVs, PHEVs, or any car for that matter.

Cares said:
We have 2x Tesla Model 3s. I'm thinking of selling my Model 3 and trading up to a Model X though. It qualifies for 100% accelerated 1 year depreciation based on tax code. So taking a price of $100,000 and writing it off against my 1099 income then it basically yields me a $70,000 car plus Federal and state EV incentives bringing it down to the low $60s.

I'm going to do that but with the new Cayenne Coupe.

Until the auto markers come out with a really long range for the battery, like 400-500 miles, I'm not interested in buying an EV car because I know that I'll forget to charge it and end up stranded.  haha

USCTrojanCPA said:
Until the auto markers come out with a really long range for the battery, like 400-500 miles, I'm not interested in buying an EV car because I know that I'll forget to charge it and end up stranded.  haha

New Long Range Model S hits 370 miles rated. It actually made a trip from Fremont to Hawthorne (358 miles) in a test on a full 370 mile charge and had 11% battery left (40 miles) which technically meant it could go right around 400 miles. We're almost there and I'm certain Tesla will be the first to achieve that range with improved battery packs.

USCTrojanCPA said:

Or make vehicles with quick change batteries so instead of charging stations, they make swapping stations. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Or make vehicles with quick change batteries so instead of charging stations, they make swapping stations. :)

Tesla charging stations are pretty fast now.

Tesla unveiled the third generation of its Supercharger charging stations during a customer event at its Fremont, California headquarters Wednesday evening. The new ?V3? Supercharger is capable of charging some of the Model 3 at a rate of 250kW, which Tesla says is fast enough to add 75 miles of range in 5 minutes. Tesla says it will break ground on more V3 Superchargers in April.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/18253618/tesla-supercharger-250kw-v3-specs-location

irvinehomeowner said:
@idrather:

So how is the PacHy working out for you? I've read they've had recalls and other issues.

I've read up on the forums about all the issues, mainly the parking brake issue.  I've been lucky so far with no issues, but we barely drive.  Time will tell how long it will last. 

Worst case scenario if problems keep occurring, I'll just sell/trade the van as I'm way above water due to the huge discount and the tax credits/rebates. 

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Certain companies use the battery swap for forklifts in their factories

I drive a Tesla Model 3 Long-Range and my wife drives a Chevy Bolt EV (rated at 248 miles of range). Between Tesla superchargers and all of the EV chargers scattered throughout the city of Irvine, we've had no problem with range anxiety or a lack of charging stalls.

Going to the spectrum to catch a dinner and movie? Charge for 3 hours while you're there and gain 60 miles worth of range for $3. Going to the gym at the woodbury town center for an hour? Just plug it in while you work out and gain 20 miles of range for $1.

My wife's bolt lease is over in a year and a half, which should be right around the time the Model Y will be coming out so we are considering purchasing one of those and going all Tesla. :)

The Standard Range Model 3 (now $35,400) is an amazing car. We doubled down and it is pretty much the same as our Dual Motor Model 3 which cost ~$20k more.

The Standard Range Model 3 is about $40.5k out the door. After the $3750 tax credit (dropping to $1875 July 1st), the $2500 CVRP rebate, and the $1000 SoCal Edison rebate, you are looking at a net cost of $33,250.

We had one of the early LEAFs (leased it) and have had no regrets going electric.

I'm going to see what those EV Rivian trucks and SUVs look like.

New-Rivian-truck-and-SUV.jpg

Expensive... but it would be nice to go back to a pickup truck and feel young again. :)

USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:

What are your thoughts on  Cayenne vs Panamera? Both are insane values lightly used.

I've never wanted to spend that much money on a car, but if I do I think it would be tough not to go Tesla. Plus the carpool sticker is only EV so plug in hybrid makes zero sense. I've got a cheap eGolf lease now and once you go electric its tough to go back. I think gas cars will be an anomaly a lot sooner than most people think - IMO a decade. There will be wrenching consolidation as the service revenue-fueled dealership model dries up given the dramatically lower service reqs for EVs. A big problem for brands like Porsche will be Tesla's technology lead - hardware/software, drivetrain, battery design and mfg. This will really show up once the regulatory environment around autonomous driving matures, probably also in a decade.

OCtoSV said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:

What are your thoughts on  Cayenne vs Panamera? Both are insane values lightly used.

I've never wanted to spend that much money on a car, but if I do I think it would be tough not to go Tesla. Plus the carpool sticker is only EV so plug in hybrid makes zero sense. I've got a cheap eGolf lease now and once you go electric its tough to go back. I think gas cars will be an anomaly a lot sooner than most people think - IMO a decade. There will be wrenching consolidation as the service revenue-fueled dealership model dries up given the dramatically lower service reqs for EVs. A big problem for brands like Porsche will be Tesla's technology lead - hardware/software, drivetrain, battery design and mfg. This will really show up once the regulatory environment around autonomous driving matures, probably also in a decade.

Never had a Panny, just GT cars and a Macan and regular Cayenne.  I've always lightly optioned my cars because loading up on options is how you take a big hit on depreciation.  I'll sell the Cayenne Coupe in Jan and get a new Macan S and then in 2021 I'll probably sell that and pick up a Macan GTS.

Back