Author Topic: EV/Plug-In/Hydrogen Fuel Cell - Cars  (Read 25431 times)

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 342
  • -Received: 591
EV/Plug-In/Hydrogen Fuel Cell - Cars
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »
Discussion about EV/Plug-In/Hydrogen Fuel Cell - Cars

Offline lnc

• Thanks
  • -Given: 535
  • -Received: 1010
Re: EV/Plug-In/Hydrogen Fuel Cell - Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:00:14 PM »
Among all of EV, either hybrid, plug-in or hydrogen full cell, I believe Hydrogen Full Cell has the best potential of replacing internal combustion engine in the long future.  But for now and near future, hybrid or plug-in hybrid with internal combustion engine will remain dominance. 

Current trend is moving hybrids from a boring economy box to a super sexy, high performance sport car.  Just look the new breed of high end sport cars like Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari, BMW i8 and Acura NSX, they are all hybrids with both internal combustion engine and electric motor.

I'm contemplate to replace my thirsty 8 cylinder BMW with a plug-in hybrid like the one below. :)

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:55:11 PM »
Among all of EV, either hybrid, plug-in or hydrogen full cell, I believe Hydrogen Full Cell has the best potential of replacing internal combustion engine in the long future.  But for now and near future, hybrid or plug-in hybrid with internal combustion engine will remain dominance. 

Current trend is moving hybrids from a boring economy box to a super sexy, high performance sport car.  Just look the new breed of high end sport cars like Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari, BMW i8 and Acura NSX, they are all hybrids with both internal combustion engine and electric motor.

I'm contemplate to replace my thirsty 8 cylinder BMW with a plug-in hybrid like the one below. :)

+1 plug-in hybrid is the way to go

Offline SubSolar

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 49
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:24:21 PM »
I think the green stickers are only for the first 55,000 buyers right? Anyone know if that many have been sold yet?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2150
  • -Received: 3570
  • 3CWG
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
If more EVs use Tesla tech, won't they be better than hydrogen?

I think the problem with hydrogen is you are still beholden to the pump.

#cutthecord
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline lnc

• Thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
I think the green stickers are only for the first 55,000 buyers right? Anyone know if that many have been sold yet?

As of August 25, 2014, 52,034 "green" stickers have been issued according to government's web site but that's not counting the green sticker applications already in the pipeline but not yet issued.  Looks like it will run out pretty soon.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Offline lnc

• Thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »
If more EVs use Tesla tech, won't they be better than hydrogen?

I think the problem with hydrogen is you are still beholden to the pump.

#cutthecord

You definitely need go to the pump but refueling with hydrogen is lot faster than recharging a battery powered EV.  But hydrogen, hydrogen fulling and hydrogen full cell still far from being a cost effective alternative.   We will definitely see a lot more pure plug-in battery powered EV  before we see HFC vehicles in any significant numbers. 

jmoney74

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:00:36 PM »
Hopefully the plug in cars can be nice looking.  It's either mid range - entry luxury pricing for ugly... or pricey for a Tesla.  lol

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
Hopefully the plug in cars can be nice looking.  It's either mid range - entry luxury pricing for ugly... or pricey for a Tesla.  lol

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche have Plug-In or EV cars that are out now or soon to be released.

Also, the new Volt is "rumored" is in the works.
Wireless charging for the Toyota Prius Plug-In (2016) and Honda Fit EV. Toyota and Honda are "testing" the wireless charging station. So how it would work, install it in your garage, and the vehicle will drive over the charging device.

jmoney74

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 11:16:46 PM »

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche have Plug-In or EV cars that are out now or soon to be released.

Also, the new Volt is "rumored" is in the works.
Wireless charging for the Toyota Prius Plug-In (2016) and Honda Fit EV. Toyota and Honda are "testing" the wireless charging station. So how it would work, install it in your garage, and the vehicle will drive over the charging device.

yes.. i'm guessing it will be similar to the cell phone battery tech. 

Offline SubSolar

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 49
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »
Wouldn't wireless charge very slowly?

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:31 AM »
Wouldn't wireless charge very slowly?
I'm not sure of the speed of the charge. The car companies (toyota and honda) are testing it out.

http://www.plugincars.com/exclusive-2016-toyota-offer-wireless-charging-next-gen-prius-plug-129901.html

Offline Bullsback

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 17
  • -Received: 108
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

As of August 25, 2014, 52,034 "green" stickers have been issued according to government's web site but that's not counting the green sticker applications already in the pipeline but not yet issued.  Looks like it will run out pretty soon.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
I had read that they are near expanding the total to 80,000 stickers.  With the soon to be increase in gas prices driven by the higher taxes, there will be more incentives to go with a hybrid / plug in / ev. 

Offline Rice Vino

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 12
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »
The Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) landscape is interesting. 2016 model BEVs will have more range for less $. Leafs will get near 180 miles. 2017 Tesla will have a 3 series killer for $35k going 200 miles. Meanwhile, charging infrastructure continues its massive expansion.

Green stickers are limited - whether they add more or not - so plugins will soon have no carpool lane advantage.

All of this points to the plug in hybrids of today being the fax machines of tomorrow. I'd do a 2 year lease on a plug in knowing obsolescence beckons.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »
The Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) landscape is interesting. 2016 model BEVs will have more range for less $. Leafs will get near 180 miles. 2017 Tesla will have a 3 series killer for $35k going 200 miles. Meanwhile, charging infrastructure continues its massive expansion.

Green stickers are limited - whether they add more or not - so plugins will soon have no carpool lane advantage.

All of this points to the plug in hybrids of today being the fax machines of tomorrow. I'd do a 2 year lease on a plug in knowing obsolescence beckons.

I don't know about that, the 2016 Leaf will get 180 miles per charge.

Plug-in is ideal for: commuting to work, weekend car, traveling long distance.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts