EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
While driving back from Westminster this afternoon, I saw a VinFast on 22. I guess it's the VF8 SUV since that seems to be the one selling in the US.
Why you gotta mention Westminster when talking about VinFast? I bet it was coming from a Pho restaurant on it's way to blk dot coffee right?

Why you gotta mention Westminster when talking about VinFast? I bet it was coming from a Pho restaurant on it's way to blk dot coffee right?
is that one of the lingerie coffee bars? That was a key innovation coming out of Westminster!!

Equinox... later and more expensive:

So the Great EV Slowdown is underway and GM just announced updated pricing and timelines on the Bolt replacement (as in low cost EV) and it's not really that cheap.

Starting around $49l (or $100k if you are using morekaos math) and not out until early next year (as opposed to now).

The cheaper around $30k Equinox will be around $35k and not out until end of 2024 but will have ~320 range. So maybe that delay will help them get better battery tech.

Toyota teasing the EV crowd with more vaporware.... the EV Landcruiser in 2 forms:

1705700364074.png
1705700388351.png

I appreciate the strategy, the top one is a more compact, cheaper local driver for active people and the lower one is a high-mile range luxury 3-row model.

2 segments that are moneymakers right now.

Honda finally enters the EV chatroom:

1706211556341.png

I've seen this at the auto show (couldn't sit in it as it was locked) but looks like the Chevy Blazer platform as Honda was partnering with GM on their EVs (that relationship has ended).

Expensive pricing but for those who want a Honda...

The article referenced extensive testing, but zip about cold weather tests and impacts to the battery range. 99.9 pct of RR's never see off road use, so heralding it's "wading" capabilities doesn't inspire confidence in the product just yet. If the English can build a reliable off road capable EV, I'd consider one, providing it's not just a reworked Hummer EV.

Hope Volvo brings this EV minivan to the US, but it will be expensive:

It's built on the Geely/Polestar Chinese platform but like TikTok, be wary:

:)

Where do you think all of the other car makers data is going? Surely not Detroit, maybe India?

The only reason these guys still exist is because they are basically the Chinese government…🤦🏽‍♂️🦄🌈IMG_1770.png

Looks like GM is reversing strategy (at least on the Equinox) and releasing the cheaper version first at $35k:

Tesla is forcing everyone's hand on this as Rivian will be releasing a $40k R2S and Volvo's sub-$40k EX-30 is coming out soon. Additionally, China's BYD is looking to enter the US EV market at the lower end rather than the high end like Lucid and Rivian did.

This will be interesting.

Jaguar going full EV:

Dodge unveils muscle EV Charger:

And the Rivian R2S reveal is Mar 7... but leaks shows starting price at $47k (although that goes down to $40k for the morekaos $7500 credit).

Back