Dow?

sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I ask because although he's been wrong about Tesla and the last election, his Dow calls are pretty good.
Dow isn't a good representation of the american economy compared to s&p. let's see if 3800 holds in the s&p.

No rally holds. Reminds me alot of 2000. Csco latest to join the whack a mole party tomorrow.

I wish we could just get a good woosh capitulation down like we had in 1987. Least u could buy the close. That low held for a while but there were stocks that traded lower a couple months later.

Powell is just going to put pressure on the economy to no end, imo.

Ready2Downsize said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I ask because although he's been wrong about Tesla and the last election, his Dow calls are pretty good.
Dow isn't a good representation of the american economy compared to s&p. let's see if 3800 holds in the s&p.

No rally holds. Reminds me alot of 2000. Csco latest to join the whack a mole party tomorrow.

I wish we could just get a good woosh capitulation down like we had in 1987. Least u could buy the close. That low held for a while but there were stocks that traded lower a couple months later.

Yup, I share the same sentiments. But if any one have the guts to trade in this market and make money, let me know.

Compressed-Village said:
Ready2Downsize said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yup, I share the same sentiments. But if any one have the guts to trade in this market and make money, let me know.

When supply chain gets worked out, retailers going to find out they got way too much stuff. Of course they will say who knew? Only so long people will wait to buy things before they get something else. Meanwhile, double booking going on I bet, just like happened to the fiberoptic companies in 2000. Suddenly product everywhere and price cut galore and layoffs so we can work off all the inventory that shows up.

LOL! I have cash for that for sure which means probably ain't happening.

Got some calls on dxcm, not a cheap stock for sure but we shall see how that works out.

How much cash do any you think one should be in given where we are right now?

20%, 30% or more of your total portfolio or none at all and let it ride?

Me, I am holding about 28% cash or cash-like.

The way down is longer than I like it to be, I think this time around.

Compressed-Village said:
TGT is getting bloodbath.

Would you buy here?

TGT is but a signpost for what is coming...recession!

Walmart, Target foreshadow more consumer stress and trouble ahead for economy and markets

Walmart and Target, back to back last week, reported lower-than-expected earnings amid a surprisingly quick shift in consumer spending and higher costs, including transportation and overstaffing. 

Walmart's results foreshadow "what could be a more challenging backdrop for others, and we see most risk ahead at lower-end below $50,000 household income level," said Oliver Chen, a senior equity research analyst at Cowen.

Best Buy and Nordstrom were set report earnings Tuesday, while Costco, Macy's, and Dollar General are due Thursday.

Investors will be looking for confirmation of a shifting consumer and economy in these reports.

Inflation bite leads to inventory gluts
Walmart said consumers, facing the highest inflation rate in 40 years, suddenly cut back on discretionary spending on things like clothes and patio furniture to afford everyday items like food and other consumables.

Target said its consumers shifted their spending from televisions, bikes, and kitchen appliances to items that enhance experiences.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...uble-ahead-for-economy-and-markets/ar-AAXCNdb

Attachments

• ididthat.JPG
    ididthat.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 35
Compressed-Village said:

In the event of a recession, there will be plenty of fear once those GDP numbers come out and show that we had 2 quarters of no growth. But think about it, when that happens, you are one Fed talk away from having markets bounce once they announce they will be less aggressive or hint at not raising rates as much as they planned. The other way can happen as well, if inflation numbers don't cool down, Fed might become too hawkish and raise rates even more aggressively which will push equities down even further. Now it's about which scenario you think will occur? :)

For me, I don't even bother gambling with the volatility that we have now. I personally DCA each time there is fear and buy in small increments.

sleepy5136 said:
Compressed-Village said:

In the event of a recession, there will be plenty of fear once those GDP numbers come out and show that we had 2 quarters of no growth. But think about it, when that happens, you are one Fed talk away from having markets bounce once they announce they will be less aggressive or hint at not raising rates as much as they planned. The other way can happen as well, if inflation numbers don't cool down, Fed might become too hawkish and raise rates even more aggressively which will push equities down even further. Now it's about which scenario you think will occur? :)

For me, I don't even bother gambling with the volatility that we have now. I personally DCA each time there is fear and buy in small increments.

I DCA as well on a monthly basis but I also have a CFA managing my portfolio. His Aggressive Growth portfolio is constructed with a 1.9% yield - so glad to be done with 20+ yrs of DYI. But I am also resigned to markets tanking until Trump is re-elected.

Insider sales over the last 12 months:

1. $TSLA: $25.5B

2. $WMT: $20.6B

4. $AMZN: $3.4B

5. $FB: $3.0B

6. $NVDA: $725M

7. $AAPL: $461M

8. $MSFT: $383M

Not a single one of these companies has had an insider buy over the last 12 months.

morekaos said:
4-6 more rate hikes coming?can?t say you weren?t warned?fun, fun, fun!!!

There will be blood!..

Fed minutes point to more rate hikes that go further than the market anticipates

Fed minutes released Wednesday indicated that officials are prepared to move ahead with multiple 50 basis points interest rate increases.
In addition, the Federal Open Market Committee said policy may have to move past ?neutral? and into ?restrictive? territory.
The minutes indicate that members are hopeful they can bring down inflation, but also concerned about financial stability risks.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/25/fed-minutes-may-2022.html
https://youtu.be/FeSLPELpMeM

morekaos said:
morekaos said:

There will be blood!..

Fed minutes point to more rate hikes that go further than the market anticipates

Fed minutes released Wednesday indicated that officials are prepared to move ahead with multiple 50 basis points interest rate increases.
In addition, the Federal Open Market Committee said policy may have to move past ?neutral? and into ?restrictive? territory.
The minutes indicate that members are hopeful they can bring down inflation, but also concerned about financial stability risks.

Today retail investors rushing in the buy the dip.

The trap is set.

Compressed-Village said:
Insider sales over the last 12 months:

1. $TSLA: $25.5B

2. $WMT: $20.6B

4. $AMZN: $3.4B

5. $FB: $3.0B

6. $NVDA: $725M

7. $AAPL: $461M

8. $MSFT: $383M

Not a single one of these companies has had an insider buy over the last 12 months.
TBH why would you buy more shares if you're an insider on a stock that generally outperforms the market? I'd rather use the extra money to instead diversify. If you work at a company and you have no concerns about the future, you don't have to buy your own shares to show the world that something is going on. Insider buying are generally for stocks that need the PR bc their stocks have dropped so much. Not for stocks that generally outperform like the ones you mentioned.

Compressed-Village said:
morekaos said:
morekaos said:

There will be blood!..

The trap is set.

You can have some sharp big short covering rallies in bear markets. I think this runs out of steam around 4,100.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Compressed-Village said:
morekaos said:
morekaos said:

There will be blood!..

The trap is set.

You can have some sharp big short covering rallies in bear markets. I think this runs out of steam around 4,100.

Yes. That?s my thinking too.

Back