Dow?

Bloomberg News: Fried Chicken King of Asia Loses $2.9 Billion on U.S. Gamble

If 2019 was a bad year for Tony Tan Caktiong, the Philippine tycoon who built a fast-food empire that trounced McDonald?s in his home market, 2020 is shaping out to be worse for his company?s stock.

After wooing millions of Filipinos for decades with its signature fried chicken, Tan?s Jollibee Foods Corp. set out on an expansion in the U.S., spending $540 million buying Smashburger and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Co. Even as the two money-losing chains turn out to be a drag on earnings, the coronavirus outbreak is now threatening to hit its sales.

Fueled by concerns the spread of the disease will weigh on consumer spending, Jollibee shares have dived almost 25% this year, close to matching a 26% slump in 2019, their worst in two decades. Including Monday?s sell-off that sank Philippine stocks into bear territory, almost $2.90 billion was wiped off the company?s market value since the end of 2018. Jollibee fell 8.1% as of 11:50 a.m. in Manila trading on Monday, tracking the Philippine stock index?s 5.8% decline.

Long a bellwether for the Philippine consumer growth story, the headwinds have come as a reality check for Tan -- a son of poor Chinese immigrants -- who chased rapid growth abroad with acquisitions. Although that strategy helped widen the group?s footprint to almost 6,000 stores in 35 countries, investors have remained unimpressed by the pay-off as Smashburger and Coffee Bean continue to burn cash.

But right now, Jollibee is among the least-loved Philippine stocks. On a scale of 5, which represents unanimous buy, the average consensus analyst rating on the stock fell to 2.67 this year, the most bearish since May 2013. Jollibee?s rating hit 4.2 in 2018, a 14-year high.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...cken-king-takes-2-billion-hit-with-u-s-gamble

morekaos said:
He has built a wonderful world wide franchise...

Jollibee Foods Corporation is one of the largest and fastest growing Asian restaurant companies in the world.

It operates in 35 countries, with over 5,800 stores globally with branches in the Philippines, United States, Canada, People's Republic of China (including Hong Kong and Macau), United Kingdom, Italy, Vietnam, Brunei, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Egypt, El Salvador, Panama, and Malaysia. It has 8 wholly-owned brands (Jollibee, Chowking, Greenwich, Red Ribbon, Mang Inasal, Yonghe King, Hong Zhuang Yuan and Smashburger), 2 franchised brands (Burger King in the Philippines and Dunkin' Donuts in certain territories in China), a 60% ownership in the SuperFoods Group that owns Highland Coffee and PHO24 brands.

JFC has investments in Titan Dining LP, the ultimate holding entity of Tim Ho Wan Pte. Ltd. (the Master Franchisee of Tim Ho Wan in the Asia Pacific region excluding Hong Kong); and a business venture with award-winning Chef Rick Bayless to build a Mexican fast-casual restaurant business in the United States. JFC has also recently entered into a joint venture agreement to open Panda Express in the Philippines.

Jollibee Foods Corporation has been named the Philippines' most admired company by the Asian Wall Street Journal for eight years in a row and was honored as one of 'Asia's Fab 50 Companies' by Forbes Asia Magazine.

Who cares about some fried chicken?

What's going on with DOW? Looks like stock is back on going up again.

Should I withdraw my 401k now? No penalty sounds tempting.

Mety said:

Hey many members were talking about fried chicken. (Around 5 members)

eyephone said:
Mety said:

Ok, ok. Sorry for hijacking your discussions. Carry on.

I like Olive Crispy Chicken at BBQ Chicken from DJ. Still couldn't find a better fried chicken place.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:

Ok, ok. Sorry for hijacking your discussions. Carry on.

I like Olive Crispy Chicken at BBQ Chicken from DJ. Still couldn't find a better fried chicken place.

Good choice. I have been there.

Mety said:
morekaos said:
Eye wants to discuss chicken...as for your question...nope.

Thanks for your honest answer!

But why not?

Bought AVGO @ $178 right before ex dividend date.  Sold it at $195 a few days later and got the dividend.  I  thought I'd get back in when it went down again.
How much is it today? $314.  Hell yeah...I'm dumb.

zubs said:
Mety said:
morekaos said:
Eye wants to discuss chicken...as for your question...nope.

Thanks for your honest answer!

But why not?

Bought AVGO @ $178 right before ex dividend date.  Sold it at $195 a few days later and got the dividend.  I  thought I'd get back in when it went down again.
How much is it today? $314.  Hell yeah...I'm dumb.

I made several hindsights myself.  Bought 4,000 shares of IVR for $2.90 and $3 before dividend date, then sold 3,000 shares for $3.50.  The next day it went up to $4.50, and today it peaked at $8 and closed at $7.  Thankfully I still kept the 1,000 shares and will collect dividends on 4,000 shares.

I also placed too many bets on dips, setting up large numbers of downward limit orders.  The dips after March were few and small so most did not execute.

The question is should I withdraw my 401k now with no penalty. and why?
so I gave an example of why you don't wanna do it.

DOW 30,000.

Yeah our retirement accounts are higher now than our previous highs in February due to some rebalancing when the balances were lower.

irvinehomeowner said:
So I checked my 401k balance for the first time.

Looks like the losses from 1st quarter have been erased.

It?s like qwersweden!!

401k balance higher means life is okay?
See you at Disneyworld or Seaworld?

I like my sense of smell and taste. (Knock on wood)

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

It?s like qwersweden!!

No vacays for a while. Maybe a road trip but not sure I would fly this summer.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

It?s like qwersweden!!

No vacays for a while. Maybe a road trip but not sure I would fly this summer.

No mask no problem. hurry up and buy  ;)

qwerty said:
aquabliss said:
aquabliss said:
Tesla share price to $1,000 in 2020?  :)

Welp, that happened sooner than expected.

Weren?t you buying/trading this when it was in high 200s/low 300s? I hope you kept it :)

I was swing trading it last year but stopped once the dips got harder to predict and I got bit a time or 2.  Shoulda bought in the 300's in March and held on...

aquabliss said:
aquabliss said:
Tesla share price to $1,000 in 2020?  :)

Welp, that happened sooner than expected.

But he is out of control. He is one tweet away from bringing the stock down. ( such as the previous sec violations, etc)

The other tweet about selling off his positions. Then he sells his houses.
Does that mean Tesla later? Idk What is Tesla worth without Elon? Lol

Morekaos was all about how TSLA is a shit company a couple of years ago...I wonder what he thinks about it now.

Back