Does anyone else get the OC Register delivered?

irvinehusky said:
I only get the Sunday paper and we paid $1 to some Boy Scout that came knocking on our door.  I'm sure it's been over a year and we're still getting the paper.  No wonder that these guys don't make any money.  :p  My wife talked to another parent who said they have the same deal and they still get theirs as well.  So I can't complain.  We did not get last Sunday's but I am glad it did not come.  I left my house early on Sunday to go on a business trip and knew no one would be around to pick it up this week.  I didn't see it on the driveway when I left so I was concerned that it would be lying on my driveway advertising that our house was vacant.  Once I started seeing people on this forum complaining about it, I figured that maybe it was a larger issue and it was.

You might want to check your account online, OCR will show that you have an outstanding balance.  This happened to my co-worker who got the paper for $1 for a year through his kids HS.  He didn't cancel and kept receiving the paper after 1yr, eventually he started to receive bills from OCR.

No paper this morning... grrrr.

Not sure if they deliver later than our previous carrier (we would get it before 6am).

Today, I checked at 7am... not there. Forgot to check when I left the house.

Boo.

Thank you.

I probably should do that and cancel if they'll pick up the phone.  :p

24 Chasin' the Cup! said:
irvinehusky said:
I only get the Sunday paper and we paid $1 to some Boy Scout that came knocking on our door.  I'm sure it's been over a year and we're still getting the paper.  No wonder that these guys don't make any money.  :p  My wife talked to another parent who said they have the same deal and they still get theirs as well.  So I can't complain.  We did not get last Sunday's but I am glad it did not come.  I left my house early on Sunday to go on a business trip and knew no one would be around to pick it up this week.  I didn't see it on the driveway when I left so I was concerned that it would be lying on my driveway advertising that our house was vacant.  Once I started seeing people on this forum complaining about it, I figured that maybe it was a larger issue and it was.

You might want to check your account online, OCR will show that you have an outstanding balance.  This happened to my co-worker who got the paper for $1 for a year through his kids HS.  He didn't cancel and kept receiving the paper after 1yr, eventually he started to receive bills from OCR.

IHO, why aren't you delivering our paper in your "spare" time?  :p

Parts of the OC weekly article below:

How bad are Orange County Register owner Aaron Kushner's delivery woes in the wake of the Los Angeles Times wanting to collect on $3.5 million in unpaid bills for delivering the Reg? It's not just 30,000+ complaint-calls bad: it's Reg readers--reduced-to-delivering-their-own-papers bad.

At least that's how Register subscriber Sarah Fenton tells it. She was kind enough to provide the following dispatch from the field.

I guess I can unofficially add newspaper delivery carrier to my resume...

We subscribe to the Orange County Register and hadn't received a paper in the past two days due to a "transition to new delivery carriers."

Today would have been day three without receiving a paper, but on my way to school this morning I found a bundle of OC Register papers scattered on the ground outside our community gates.

Luckily, the addresses were written on each paper so I delivered them to the houses after school.

I understand the new delivery carriers probably didn't know how to get in, but I don't think it was right of them to just throw them on the floor, as if it were trash, and leave.

The problem isn't just that people are paying for these papers and aren't receiving them, but a lot of work goes into making each paper and the fact that their own delivery carriers are treating them like trash is horrible.

OC Register: Newspapers aren't dead yet, so don't let your deliverers treat your papers like trash.

So the paper has got to me on Fri, Sat and today... in the clear baggies... but sometime around 7:30am so later than usual.

Maybe they've got the bugs out.

I'll ride out my sub until November than change out to digital 7-day plus Sun dead tree.

aquabliss said:
NYT said:
Aquabliss, how'd you get a free year?

When you buy a house in a Pavilion Park, they give you 1 free year of OC Register.  Or maybe I could look at it as I'm paying $1M for a year of the Register, and they gave me a free house.

Would you have to pay property tax on a free house?....Loop holes man ...find them and use them.

Apparently, you can have the paper delivered, or you can download a PDF, but not both. For two weeks, no paper, but I was able to download the PDF. Today? I got the paper delivered, but no PDF for today. Get it together OC Register! Or was this some sort of sabotage from the LA Times too?

If given the choice, I'd choose a PDF every time.

Two Sundays straight without a paper, I don't even bother calling/emailing, takes too much of my time.

We're in the same boat. Took their .99c special Sunday Only offer and so far it's two weeks without a delivery. Soylent Red worked at the OCR for about 18 years and is fuming about the service levels. Perhaps the end is near for the print version since it seems like the wheels are falling off the bus now.

ps9 said:
Two Sundays straight without a paper, I don't even bother calling/emailing, takes too much of my time.

Yup, I tried calling/notifying them both times it wasn't delivered. Website to notify them doesn't work, live chat feature doesn't work, and no one answers because they're "experiencing high call volumes". What's amusing about the high call volume warning is that they don't even give you the option of holding on; they just give you that message and hang up on you. I'm wondering who doesn't get hung up on.

irvinehomeowner said:
Sundays they seem to have issue with the Olive app.

But during the week I get both delivery and Olive access.

I don't think it's a problem with Olive since they seem to have no problem getting the LA Times up. Given recent history, I think it's much more likely a Register problem.

Just dropped 'em and I had a super good rate of only $60 per year - but rarely do I have the time to read the paper anymore

OC Register has a new promotion running currently. It can be found at ocregister.com/go/wintersavings.

So, as a current Sunday only+digital subscriber, I'm paying $2.99/week. Even though the promotion says that you can't be a current subscriber, has anyone had success in the past in requesting the promotional rate for a current subscriber? It says you can't be a subscriber within 30 days, so if push comes to shove, I can always cancel and re-up by Jan 31, which is when this promotion expires.

ScreenShot2014-12-05at91239AM_zps340b6978.png

Back