coronavirus

Turns out Sweden had the right idea...hmmm...

Lockdown-free Sweden is seeing a 'very positive' downward trend in cases, country's coronavirus expert reveals as he dismisses wearing masks on public transport as 'pointless'

Anders Tegnell said the curve of new coronavirus cases was coming down
Tegnell is also continuing to play down the effectiveness of masks on transport
Sweden recorded only 1,716 new cases last week, down from 9,094 a month ago
Large gatherings were banned along with visits to nursing homes, but primary schools stayed open even in hard-hit Stockholm.
While countries including the UK have abandoned their initial scepticism about masks to order their use in shops and public transport, Sweden has again proved an outlier.
Tegnell says that 'we see no point in wearing a face mask in Sweden, not even on public transport,' according to Bloomberg.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8571789/Lockdown-free-Sweden-seeing-positive-downward-trend.html

morekaos said:
Turns out Sweden had the right idea...hmmm...

Lockdown-free Sweden is seeing a 'very positive' downward trend in cases, country's coronavirus expert reveals as he dismisses wearing masks on public transport as 'pointless'

Anders Tegnell said the curve of new coronavirus cases was coming down
Tegnell is also continuing to play down the effectiveness of masks on transport
Sweden recorded only 1,716 new cases last week, down from 9,094 a month ago
Large gatherings were banned along with visits to nursing homes, but primary schools stayed open even in hard-hit Stockholm.
While countries including the UK have abandoned their initial scepticism about masks to order their use in shops and public transport, Sweden has again proved an outlier.
Tegnell says that 'we see no point in wearing a face mask in Sweden, not even on public transport,' according to Bloomberg.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8571789/Lockdown-free-Sweden-seeing-positive-downward-trend.html

It actually didn't...as compared to Norway..Sweden suffered significantly worse death and hospitalization rates.
https://partner.sciencenorway.no/ep...-reduced-hospitalizations-drastically/1701510
https://www.businessinsider.com/pho...t-coronavirus-responses-fatality-rates-2020-4

But keep selling that snakes oil with 155K deaths and 5+ million cases.

Nah...turns out they were right...

After 6 months without lockdown, Sweden's COVID-19 deaths, infections bottom out
Open schools, little mask usage, few restrictions have flouted much of the world's response.
After months without lockdowns, school closures and other mitigation measures widely imposed across the world, Sweden's coronavirus cases and deaths have fallen to such minimal levels as to revive the debate over its so-called herd immunity strategy.

Some Swedish officials are far from declaring victory, warning there could be a second wave and that too many elderly died in the country during its comparatively lax pandemic restrictions. The country's population-adjusted death rate, meanwhile, is in the top 10 worldwide, but lower than the rates for Italy, Spain and even New York, where heavy lockdowns prevailed.
And the dramatic drop in new cases and deaths in that country point to a rapidly improving situation there in defiance of many earlier predictions.
The Swedish government has engaged in minimal interventions and imposed relatively few restrictions upon its citizenry for the duration of the pandemic. Yet the so-called "Swedish model" has for months drawn alarm and derision from countless world health authorities. Many have insisted that sweeping, open-ended restrictions on social and economic activity ? including lockdowns, strict "social distancing" measures, and mandatory face mask orders ? are the only practical methods by which the coronavirus can be halted.

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/after-6-months-no-lockdown-swedish-covid-deaths-bottomed-out

But isn't that what happened in the US with the re-openings? We relaxed to Swedish-type rules and then the cases and deaths started surging?

And you keep forgetting, that Swedes are voluntarily socially distancing and wearing masks... unlike certain parts of the US.

(also... welcome back IC... where have you been?)

irvinehomeowner said:
But isn't that what happened in the US with the re-openings? We relaxed to Swedish-type rules and then the cases and deaths started surging?

And you keep forgetting, that Swedes are voluntarily socially distancing and wearing masks... unlike certain parts of the US.

I think it?s hard to say it was the reopenings when at the exact same time there were protests all over the country. I?m sure both contributed. It will be interesting to see if there is a surge the next time we reopen with no protests. The variables are never the same though so it gets tougher to tell (will the leave indoor dining and bars closed, etc)

TMZ: Lake of the Ozarks Throws EDM Party with No Masks or Social Distancing
https://www.tmz.com/videos/080220-trap-music-concert-4827936-0-1tlu7fry/

CNN: Dozens of people attended a party for first responders in Los Angeles without wearing masks or social distancing

The party, according to a spokeswoman for the Hollywood bar, was meant to be a mix of first responders as a way to celebrate their profession.
CNN was tipped off to the event by a source with direct knowledge of the party, who was told it would involve 100 to 150 law enforcement personnel at Sassafras Saloon.
The crowd inside was plainly visible through the bar's windows from the sidewalk Friday night, drinking cocktails under flashing lights to club music so loud that it vibrated security bars. Attendees entered through the back door, where a small desk with a candle greeted them outside.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/us/los-angeles-first-responders-covid-party/index.html

irvinehomeowner said:

Life...just busy.

Also..Sweden has a young healthy population with a fantastic health system...even then they had one of the highest death rates of the world.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I think it?s hard to say it was the reopenings when at the exact same time there were protests all over the country. I?m sure both contributed. It will be interesting to see if there is a surge the next time we reopen with no protests. The variables are never the same though so it gets tougher to tell (will the leave indoor dining and bars closed, etc)

Most of the studies show that the biggest driver is indoor gatherings without masks.  That is why bars got closed first.  Those house parties are brutal as well.

irvinehomeowner said:

Like I have said, I think people are just ready to accept this as part of life's risks.  100 people dying is tragic...100,000 die... is just a statistic.  People can't wrap their heads around the number so they start to ignore it or are numb to it.  Look around, I said it in another thread..go outside the Coasts and it's like nothing ever happend, little masks and open pretty wide.  This thing will infect everybody and will eventually just burn out (probably after November 1st).  Thanks, I've been here just been super busy with work.

georgia school on first day of reopening today

G8ekg2e.jpg

morekaos said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Like I have said, I think people are just ready to accept this as part of life's risks.  100 people dying is tragic...100,000 die... is just a statistic.  People can't wrap their heads around the number so they start to ignore it or are numb to it.  Look around, I said it in another thread..go outside the Coasts and it's like nothing ever happend, little masks and open pretty wide.  This thing will infect everybody and will eventually just burn out (probably after November 1st).  Thanks, I've been here just been super busy with work.

I like this new libertarian POV...at least there is admission that it was never about liberty...just selfishness.  Hey people die all the time...as long as I am okay...everything is fine.

Oh by the way, some of the hardest hit areas re COVID in the past month or so has been Imperial, Kern, Fresno, and other parts of the Central Valley.  Orange County and Marin, two of the biggest anti-vaxxer populations around.

morekaos said:
Like I have said, I think people are just ready to accept this as part of life's risks.  100 people dying is tragic...100,000 die... is just a statistic.  People can't wrap their heads around the number so they start to ignore it or are numb to it.

Sounds like same narrative that President Trump is going with. But it's being rejected by the American public.

Look at President Trump's approval % on COVID. Disapproval has gone way up from 27% in March to 59% in August. Approval % has steadily slipped from 50% in April to 37% in August.

While this narrative may be true in your personal bubble, the overall data would indicate the complete opposite.

Americans are becoming more and more concerned. Today, 69.5% are concerned vs 28.5% not concerned. Way up from March (59% concerned 39% not concerned)
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/coronavirus-polls/

Concern and actions don?t always go hand in hand. I?m concerned about getting covid but I still send my kids to school. We have been doing swimming lessons, my kids have gone on bike rides with their friends, etc.

At some point people want to live their lives. Living their life outweighs the concern. But you can do both.

In the US, people do not take it seriously. Partying it up is more important than being safe and cautious. (until they get sick or get someone sick) The numbers do not lie.

eyephone said:
TMZ: Lake of the Ozarks Throws EDM Party with No Masks or Social Distancing
https://www.tmz.com/videos/080220-trap-music-concert-4827936-0-1tlu7fry/

CNN: Dozens of people attended a party for first responders in Los Angeles without wearing masks or social distancing

The party, according to a spokeswoman for the Hollywood bar, was meant to be a mix of first responders as a way to celebrate their profession.
CNN was tipped off to the event by a source with direct knowledge of the party, who was told it would involve 100 to 150 law enforcement personnel at Sassafras Saloon.
The crowd inside was plainly visible through the bar's windows from the sidewalk Friday night, drinking cocktails under flashing lights to club music so loud that it vibrated security bars. Attendees entered through the back door, where a small desk with a candle greeted them outside.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/us/los-angeles-first-responders-covid-party/index.html

qwerty said:
Concern and actions don?t always go hand in hand. I?m concerned about getting covid but I still send my kids to school. We have been doing swimming lessons, my kids have gone on bike rides with their friends, etc.

At some point people want to live their lives. Living their life outweighs the concern. But you can do both.

Sure. But my point remains - While that may be true in your world (and morekaos'), it's not the majority opinion.

Only 1 in 4 Americans think it is safe for public schools to reopen this fall. And 4 in 10 parents said they would likely keep their children home if classes resume.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...open-schools-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN24H2OX

qwerty said:

But everything you rattled off is considered "as safe as it gets".  Swimming lessons are probably outside or if inside, 1 to 1.  Outdoor biking with friends is pretty low risk.  "School" I assume is daycare or after school with tons of precautions and low ratios since OC can't open real schools.  So I say yea, your concern and actions do go hand in hand.  If they didn't, you would be the family in my friend group that threw a birthday party over the wknd inside a gaming truck with no masks, no distancing, no ventilation :)

morekaos said:
Agree, and they don?t seem to care any more. I now am up to 18 who I personally know who have had this...all are well.

Well? For now. Still don't know what the long-term effects are. I'd just not rather get it period.

Back