coronavirus

I saw that archived page from the CDC but didn't use it as it's not been updated since being first published. I've never said the response by this administration to the pandemic was perfect, only that it's been much better than expected. No one has been perfect here. To expect perfection is to invite disappointment.

Many who went through the Great Depression are hoarders, accumulating things as comfort tokens.

The soldiers of WW2 raised an army of anti war boomers, persuaded (IMHO) to avoid war because of what they went through fighting imperial Japan and Nazi Germany.

Many young adults who came out of the 2008 great recession are savers and low credit card users, caused (again IMHO) in part by watching families get foreclosed due to being unemployed so long. Many have told me they just don't want to repeat what happened to their parents 10 years ago.

The impact of traumatic changes in lifestyles will always ripple out in ways we never could have expected. The long lasting damage to those now between 7 and 17 won't be fully realized for another 10 years to come. Who knows what might this Pandemic might end up doing to this generation?

The 1918 Spanish Flu was followed by The Roaring 20's. I don't see history repeating itself in quite the same way this go round. Can't say that's a bad thing either.

My .02c

Too bad I have not heard the President fight for the lives of people such as the police/fire, health care workers and grocery workers. Instead he is promoting liberating tweets. Then he says 2nd amendment out of no where.

The lack of leadership by Trump shows.

daedalus said:
Our insurance tracks actual miles and prices accordingly.  We report mileage 1x a year for each vehicle.  Unfortunately, there's no difference for anything under 3000 miles, and 3 of our vehicles are well under that, but a minimum like that might actually help you out if your new miles per year # was still under it.

What insurance company is that?

Mercuryhttps://www.mercuryinsurance.com/realdrive/

I went through a broker 20 years ago and they were the cheapest.  I shopped around once since then, and they were still the cheapest, though that was a while ago.

I had 1 fender bender in those 20 years, me at fault, and called them.  They don't advertise it, but my rates never went up from that.  That was 11 years ago.  Other than that I haven't needed their services, so can't comment on it.

Stanford's antibody research is published.

These prevalence estimates represent a range between 48,000 and 81,000 people infected in Santa Clara County by early April, 50-85-fold more than the number of confirmed cases. Conclusions The population prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in Santa Clara County implies that the infection is much more widespread than indicated by the number of confirmed cases.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v1

daedalus said:
Mercuryhttps://www.mercuryinsurance.com/realdrive/

I went through a broker 20 years ago and they were the cheapest.  I shopped around once since then, and they were still the cheapest, though that was a while ago.

I had 1 fender bender in those 20 years, me at fault, and called them.  They don't advertise it, but my rates never went up from that.  That was 11 years ago.  Other than that I haven't needed their services, so can't comment on it.

your rates didn't go up because you're one of their best customers - hardly cost them anything and a nice steady source of income ;)

USCTrojanCPA said:
daedalus said:
Our insurance tracks actual miles and prices accordingly.  We report mileage 1x a year for each vehicle.  Unfortunately, there's no difference for anything under 3000 miles, and 3 of our vehicles are well under that, but a minimum like that might actually help you out if your new miles per year # was still under it.

What insurance company is that?

AAA does that. Sends me a form every year. If I don't fill it out, they send me a letter that if I do not send it in, my insurance will be cancelled. LOL!

Kings said:
your rates didn't go up because you're one of their best customers - hardly cost them anything and a nice steady source of income ;)
I am now.  At the time I was unmarried (technically), working F/T and going to school F/T, had fewer cars (all of which were on liability only), and lived farther from work than I do now. 

But yeah, today I am a cash cow for sure.  Even before the shutdown we (wife and I) were driving about 7,000 miles per year total.  We put 4000 miles on her liability-only econobox, and divide the other 3000 miles across the other 3 vehicles, 2 of which have full coverage and are nearly always parked either on a gated property or at a secure facility. 

Since the shutdown started I almost never drive.  I last bought gas 1 month ago today, on 3/18, and all my tanks are at least 2/3 full.  My wife's car is electric, and she adds $10 to her chargepoint account every 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone noticed that the food places around Irvine have signs that say customers are required to wear face coverings?

I've seen at least 3 so far.

irvinehomeowner said:
Has anyone noticed that the food places around Irvine have signs that say customers are required to wear face coverings?

Pizza Hut on barranca had a sign that a mask was required to enter.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Pizza Hut on barranca had a sign that a mask was required to enter.

First they add a service charge, they?d they charge for peppers and cheese, and now this!

I swear every time I wear a mask into a business it feels like they are going to put there hands up and say ?don?t shoot, the safe is in the back?.  I can?t imagine how weird it would feel walking into a bank with a mask on.

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I?ve heard it?s required when shopping. https://twitter.com/City_of_Irvine/status/1249890131596718085?s=20

Yeah... Executive Order as of 4/10:
https://www.cityofirvine.org/news-m...quires-retail-personnel-and-patrons-wear-face
http://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=32417

Some places I passed by today had signs that said "No masks, no service... by order of City of Irvine".

More and more counties and states are issuing mandatory mask mandates, is that even legal? If I go out to walk the dogs I shouldn?t have to wear a mask. Cuomo from New York said ?you don?t have a right to infect me? as the basis for his executive order. But he has the right to make people wear masks? The governments do seem like they are over reaching a bit.

If you are concerned about getting sick then you can wear a mask and gloves wherever the hell you want but it shouldn?t be mandated. With that said, it doesn?t sound like they are enforcing the mandate but it may be just a matter of time. 

It?s stuff like this that is going to put people over the edge and lead to more protests.

qwerty said:
More and more counties and states are issuing mandatory mask mandates, is that even legal? If I go out to walk the dogs I shouldn%u2019t have to wear a mask. Cuomo from New York said %u201Cyou don%u2019t have a right to infect me%u201D as the basis for his executive order. But he has the right to make people wear masks? The governments do seem like they are over reaching a bit.

If you are concerned about getting sick then you can wear a mask and gloves wherever the hell you want but it shouldn%u2019t be mandated. With that said, it doesn%u2019t sound like they are enforcing the mandate but it may be just a matter of time. 

It%u2019s stuff like this that is going to put people over the edge and lead to more protests.

Go ahead protest. No one is stopping you from going out.

So these Trump supporters are now pro-choice now?

This is more shocking than President Trump sending out free money  >:D

You guys must have me confused for someone who cares about politics. I?m not a trump supporter although I do think he is funny sometimes. Although I can understand why you guys think I?m a trump supporter as my comments are more in support of the economy vs societal health.

I?m just a realist, people die everyday. Always have always will. We have never stopped the world before so it doesn?t make any sense that we stop the world for this.

I just don?t want the government telling me that I need to wear a mask when I go out in public. If I wanted to be told what to do all the time I would live in china. If you guys want to wear a mask all the time for it, no one is stopping you. I?ve been wearing one when I go to the grocery store at my wife?s request. I don?t mind it. I just don?t want the government forcing it on me.

And if I did care about politics I would be a pro-choice person for the same reason as the mask. The government should be telling people what to do with their body.

I understand wearing masks when going for takeout pickup, grocery store, pharmacy.  What's the point of wearing a mask when walking the dog?

I do cross paths with other people running, biking, walking the dog when I'm out but it's all of maybe four other people and it's usually someone crosses to the other side of the street before we close within a 100 ft.  Or at a minimum goes to the street edge while you move to the other sidewalk edge to pass.

eyephone said:
You have to be careful when you go out now. I saw some an lady cough or something and I went the other way with my cart at Costco. It could been an innocent cough. (I do not know that, nobody knows)

Hypothetical scenario: If would be ideal if the person who I saw coughing had a mask. What if that person had it? Then she could of spread it to other people.
It could of been anything like allergies or a simple cough.

News hub Article: Presume COVID-19 is airborne, expert says

SARS was airborne and had a much higher mortality rate than COVID-19, but doesn't appear to have been as infectious. But Dr Morawska says the fast spread of COVID-19 through cruise ships, despite precautions, suggests it too is airborne.

"On numerous cruise ships where thousands of people onboard were infected, many of the infections occurred after passengers had to isolate in their cabins even though hand hygiene was implemented," said Dr Morawska.

"Therefore, the ventilation system could have spread the airborne virus between the cabins... Air transmission research should be undertaken now and its likelihood as a means of spread should be taken seriously with due precautions taken now."

A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found the virus could hang around in the air for up to three hours after being expelled. The WHO dismissed those findings, saying the circumstances needed to get the virus to hang in the air were artificial.
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/presume-covid-19-is-airborne-expert-says/ar-BB12KqlU

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
You have to be careful when you go out now. I saw some an lady cough or something and I went the other way with my cart at Costco. It could been an innocent cough. (I do not know that, nobody knows)

Hypothetical scenario: If would be ideal if the person who I saw coughing had a mask. What if that person had it? Then she could of spread it to other people.

You mean spread the same way a cold/flu is spread? The flu is just As capable of killing someone.

I know you think this is a shark bite vs a dog bite but let?s be real you only think that because the testing has only been done on those that meet the restrictive testing requirements. You will see the death rate is likely very close to that of the flu when it?s all said and done.

We care now about spreading a flu like disease but we did t care before about infecting someone?s with the deadly flu?

Back